Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: varmints checking sabong.

Post Thanks / Like

varmints checking sabong.

Its true just has to be.lol.
    The other day I posted that my fence charger was down and I have lost three stags off cords since. First looked like an owl no tracks feathers plucked on back at base of neck only damage was at the base of the neck. Last night around 1:00 am noise alerted me and had a stag with tail feathers pulled. Thinking owl I was shining light up in trees but found eyes glowing foot off the ground. Couldn't make out the outline but sent some lead figured cat or the neighborhood fox. Thought that would be it for the night and when it started pouring rain I fell asleep. Woke up and went outside to find it came back and killed a grey stag. Same thing pile of tail feathers at teepee but this time missing head neck and craw was eaten. Do to the rain and my puppy no tracks. Just wanted to warn every one that not just two legs varmints check this site. Lol.

2. Likes CA whitetoppy06, MarshButcher, gaff liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: varmints checking sabong.

Lol. Gotta stay on alert all ours for all varmints 0,2,3, n 4 legged! Hate to hear the losses. Coon maybe, eating at the neck n craw?
    Last edited by Nauvoo; October 8th, 2017 at 08:40 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I have lost 5 this week. Lost 2 srags, 1 cock, and 2 hens. I was thinking maybe coon too the heads and necks chewed at. Theres been a bid orange feral tom cat coming around at night though and nothing on barrels have been touched just the ones in pens. Go out to feed and birds heads are thru the wire chewed all up. I went out last night and caught that cat sitting underneath a hen looking at her and was able to get a good shot so i sure hope thats what it was that did it. If so he wont be bothering anymore. Good luck with getting whats bothering yours.

5. Thanks cesar44 thanked for this post
    Likes Knights Play, spanky81 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Fox. Neighbor seen them they got eight biddies in his yard yesterday. He missed a shot at one and said that one would charge his pen the buddies would run through the wire and Fox on other side would catch them. His pen is just few feet away from his pen full of hounds and the barking doesn't bother the fox. They seem to use the noise and the pen for cover. There is a kennel of hounds ten feet from my chicken yard and before I got the birds fox would sit in front of the hounds and make them bark. If hounds didn't bark fox would make noise until they did. These fox have lived in the neighborhood long enough to know people's patterns very well. No sleep for me until fence and charger are back in working order.

7. Likes Knights Play, gaff liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hoghunterdave View Post
    Fox. Neighbor seen them they got eight biddies in his yard yesterday. He missed a shot at one and said that one would charge his pen the buddies would run through the wire and Fox on other side would catch them. His pen is just few feet away from his pen full of hounds and the barking doesn't bother the fox. They seem to use the noise and the pen for cover. There is a kennel of hounds ten feet from my chicken yard and before I got the birds fox would sit in front of the hounds and make them bark. If hounds didn't bark fox would make noise until they did. These fox have lived in the neighborhood long enough to know people's patterns very well. No sleep for me until fence and charger are back in working order.

Exactly, they learned the patterns.. Thats good though, if you aren't being overworked than your free time will be changing pattern nap from 9-11 get alarm get up get coffee some salami and cheese and peppers cold cuts, get a car battery hook that old spot light the million candlight power and wait for the commotion get your self a good firing position over looking your birds..

Man a 22magnum would be nice, 17hmr or mini 14 223 or 22.250 , 30-30 30-06 **** pull ol 300 weatherby out and send em to kingdom come..

i wish Trump would rid me of my felony strike so icould hunt the coyote.. Heard em lastnight raising cain, well i like them ol rascals as long as they bother the city commuters and not me.

-sorry for your loss hoghunterdave hope you can get back on track after all the storms and all.. Now hurricane nate probably pushing prey and predators to new territories..

9. Likes Jailbird6 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

No shortage of fire power. I have a gun for about any situation and a few more just to look at. I went a little bat crap crazy on .22 back when you could afford to plink all day. Even set one up for the Chevy challenge . A 10.22 Rugger got another one with the bull barrel and adjustable trigger variable power optics. Its sweet but I wouldn't want to carry it on a squirrel hunt it out weighs my 3.5inch Moss berg. I think the. 338 might be a little overkill, probably wake the neighborhood. The real problem is as with all hunting getting the shot. These fox will set and watch you until you leave. But I like this kind of a challenge. I am know varmint hunter but I guess its time to learn. I see new camouflage charcoal suit ground blinds all in my crystal ball. Predator calls night vision. Well I am broke better just put on the headlamp suffer the mosquitos and kill some fox.

Post Thanks / Like

Fox three redneck zero. Coffee is on blind is set and I ordered traps today.

12. Likes lawgreyman14, gaff liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If it's a fox, try raw Jimmy dean original breakfast sausage.. always had great luck with that and leg hold traps in high school.

Post Thanks / Like

No shortage of fire power. I have a gun for about any situation and a few more just to look at. I went a little bat crap crazy on .22 back when you could afford to plink all day. Even set one up for the Chevy challenge . A 10.22 Rugger got another one with the bull barrel and adjustable trigger variable power optics. Its sweet but I wouldn't want to carry it on a squirrel hunt it out weighs my 3.5inch Moss berg. I think the. 338 might be a little overkill, probably wake the neighborhood. The real problem is as with all hunting getting the shot. These fox will set and watch you until you leave. But I like this kind of a challenge. I am know varmint hunter but I guess its time to learn. I see new camouflage charcoal suit ground blinds all in my crystal ball. Predator calls night vision. Well I am broke better just put on the headlamp suffer the mosquitos and kill some fox.
    i enjoy challenge of a smart varmit almost as much as raising chickens

15. Likes hoghunterdave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You could try a Livestock Guardian Dog (LGD)

Like a Pyrenees, Mastiff, Anatolian, Kangal, or like mine, an Akbash

Read up on LGDs. Most are from sheep herding countries in Europe. Akbash is from Turkey.

Mine is a male, 8 months old and is getting big fast. He'll grow to 50 kilos (120lbs.) They form a bond with the livestock and they protect them and their humans from predators and harm.

This Akbash was part of a litter of 8 from a pair imported from Alabama to Manila. An Alabaman chickenman recommended them and swears by them..." ain't never lost one since I got that dog..." he always says.

We don't have many varmints or predators to worry about in the Philippines, but there's a swarming population of 2 legged ones that far out number the 4 legged ones. Nothing a 120 pound Akbash can't handle

Good luck!

Cheers!

Post Thanks / Like

Well I guess last night was a draw. Fox got no chickens and I got no sleep.

Post Thanks / Like

Put fox piss on cotton ball & bury it 2-4 " then set steel trap dead center over cotton ball sift dirt over trap until lightly covered. Be sure the traps boiled to get rid of any scents & wear gloves. I have caught several of them. I use rubber jaw trap cause fox pen a couple counties over will give $35 for them live to release & run with hounds in a 500 acre enclosure. Good luck !

19. Thanks hoghunterdave thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The bunny humpers shut down the fox pens here. I have never trapped but it is time to learn. I did try to catch a fox when I had my first fox hound it was laughable. Caught a few bobcats, coons, and opossums. As a kid I tried to build a rabbit box think it was a scout project, to put it straight I ain't no trapper.

Post Thanks / Like

heave I feel your pain. I live in the big woods and it is a constant battle. But your title really got me thinks no as I always have said I thought deer have a calander and opening day of deer season is marked well. I see deer every day till season opens.

22. Likes hoghunterdave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If I had 300 trucks pull up in my yard all pulling out guns I would hide to. Opening day is the noisiest day in the woods. No calendar needed.lol glad I am not a deer. Just to hear the dog box open would give me a heart attack. Oh well back on night shift.

Post Thanks / Like

The "hunters of deer" around here now use the cameras set in club house until they see one at feeders. Then radio to buddys in shooting house they got one in range and where. May as well shoot cow in the pasture be about as much skill.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I guess last night was a draw. Fox got no chickens and I got no sleep.
    well I'm glad it was a draw Mr Dave but sucks your not getting any sleep because of it

Post Thanks / Like

I want to thank everyone for the help. I now have everything in holding pens traps on the way and pit bull in the yard. She is a spoiled puppy and worthless as a guard dog. Like most pit bulls. Just the presence of a dog helps. I hated putting the stags back in the pens. They felt so much better after just a few weeks on tie cords.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I recon penned birds will be better than a wasted breeding season.

28. Likes Krackers Koop liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

How about weasels how do u guys handle them

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GP13 View Post
    How about weasels how do u guys handle them
    I hear a saucer of sweet milk will kill them. Placed where they run. No experience just heard it over years.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BamaOkie View Post
    I hear a saucer of sweet milk will kill them. Placed where they run. No experience just heard it over years.
    Yeah,,,,I forgot about that one,,,,,

Post Thanks / Like

The "hunters of deer" around here now use the cameras set in club house until they see one at feeders. Then radio to buddys in shooting house they got one in range and where. May as well shoot cow in the pasture be about as much skill.
    Lmao dammit man they git that millenial blood in them ****. We still do it right but when tgey aint wanting to stick to our game plan, me my brother cousin and good ol uncle oscar ride out with the spot light lol on a good night our closest family will have a deer each household. Leaving nothing but the guts amd rib cage. We get all that neck meat. ****, shouldve went last night we got rained out yesterday picking peanuts, man them deer would've been tearing them peanuts up, near about any peanut field you shined the light across. Damn i wantin some backstrap right about now.

33. Likes Naturaljack7, hoghunterdave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lawgreyman14 View Post
    Lmao dammit man they git that millenial blood in them ****. We still do it right but when tgey aint wanting to stick to our game plan, me my brother cousin and good ol uncle oscar ride out with the spot light lol on a good night our closest family will have a deer each household. Leaving nothing but the guts amd rib cage. We get all that neck meat. ****, shouldve went last night we got rained out yesterday picking peanuts, man them deer would've been tearing them peanuts up, near about any peanut field you shined the light across. Damn i wantin some backstrap right about now.
    we got are back straps yesterday and Saturday this is my boys elk

Post Thanks / Like

Lol my dad has a friends that are into "hunting" I told Dad you know how guy's hunt .... They sit on their fat azzes in those lil' houses eat & drink coffee ect. & wait close to those corn feeders they have set out ...& they call that Hunting lol.

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk

36. Thanks BamaOkie thanked for this post
    Likes Sentenciador, lawgreyman14, BamaOkie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vizzard n tassl View Post
    we got are back straps yesterday and Saturday this is my boys elk
    How much pounds of meat them Elks put in freezer each on average?

Post Thanks / Like

How much pounds of meat them Elks put in freezer each on average?
    About 250 to 300 on a these are only yearling but a big bull you get 400 to 450

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

39. Thanks BamaOkie thanked for this post
    Likes BamaOkie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yall just trying to piss me off. I'm getting eat up by skeeters trying to dispose of a little old fox and your posting pics of elk. Talking about back strap. Guess I'll just sit in my blind and eat gator tail. Least I can still out smart one of them.
    Score fox four redneck 0.

Post Thanks / Like

Well how did you fair threw the night Mr Dave ??

Post Thanks / Like

One time i went to my yard at night a few years back we have trees surrounding the yard and a vineyard behind the property and a neighbor who doesnt care gor their property lots of old cars weeds etc. Well i went and looked into the trees and saw glowing eye balls looking at me. Possums growing up atound the property and at night going there for food eggs and when theres no eggs chicken. I took care of them and more killed ten that night. So you gotta know whats going on on your yard juat like yoi have to know your chickens for pointing etc. Look for rat droppings go at night to see whats there or waitong to go there

43. Likes deerhunter liked this post