Thread: Eggs

Post Thanks / Like

Eggs

If I take out the hens eggs from her nest so she doesn’t get broody, how long will she lay eggs for?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Eggs

About 30 eggs adv. MY wag.

3. Likes tonetone559 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Dang 30 eggs I’d a lot! Should I leave one in the nest as to not discourage her?

Post Thanks / Like

Depends, Some hens will lay all year if you keep removing them. Ive had pullets lay from March to November a egg almost every day. Had a old muff hen lay a egg about every day for 5 months. Then I have had some lay as little as 15 -20 and stop for a month.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a good Sweater hen that just don't want to set and continues to lay more then 40 eggs a season. I'm glad i can put them in the incubator. If not, what a waste. Aloha

7. Likes LaBlue liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

while we're talking eggs.........

Does anyone weigh their eggs, if so do you discard the lighter eggs and only hatch from the large.

What is your prefered weight and do you think it makes a lot of difference to the size of the bird once it is fully matured, other than feed, environment etc.........

A fella told me he doesn't set any eggs under 52 grams.
    Last edited by Crazy Eyes; November 14th, 2017 at 08:58 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I think you would have to go by what is normal size for that particular family if you are weighing eggs. Some families will lay smaller eggs than others and pullets usually lay smaller eggs than older hens. I have a family of asil that lay really small eggs compared to my other hens. But usually by a year old, the asil offspring has caught up with the others. So I wouldn't want to discard all the eggs based on weight compared to my American eggs, only eggs that are smaller than the normal size for the asils.

10. Thanks Crazy Eyes thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

sorry, i should have said i was relating to American fowl and mature hens.

Mine average out 49 - 50 grams from mature hens but i get a few at 53 - 54 grams. i only found that out since he told me about it and made me start thinking.

chick weight is directly related to egg weight. If a pullet did lay an egg the same weight as a 2 year old hen, both chicks would weigh the same, so it is egg related.

My cocks average at 2.5kg (5 1/2 lb) but my average egg weighs 49 grams, so im interested to know if the 53 - 54 gram eggs will produce a 6lb cock???? or they will just be average for the family im breeding. (5 1/2lb)

Ill have to incubate some different weight eggs, hatch them. Then feed, raise and pen them all the same and see what happens.
    Just thought it interesting thats all.
    Last edited by Crazy Eyes; November 14th, 2017 at 09:51 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the Replies! Good info.