Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big farms banding older fowl

Post Thanks / Like

Big farms banding older fowl

I think it is a joke when we see videos of big farms banding mature fowl once they are bought. Just my two cents !!!!

2. Likes lawgreyman14, Quapaw Kid liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Big farms banding older fowl

Why is it a joke? The fowl have been selected. Banding them at that point is just to identify each individual & is confirms the fowl came from that particular breeder. It's for the benefit of both the breeder & the buyer.

4. Thanks nem76 thanked for this post
    Likes MarshButcher liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree , it's insulting on a personal level but at the same time I think it's part of the sales end that so many want to see ... so you gotta roll with it and not take it to heart that it means anything.

I wonder how much real record keeping goes on any more because the big farms seem to not even discuss it or share it with folks and I don't get the sense most people that aren't older and learned it from a really good breeder even have a clue ...

6. Likes hatchelias liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

WEll the wing band is what identifies the individual. Without it you are not sure who is brother and sister. Or father or mother. There is no pedigree. or record.Even though there toe marked as for breed. Unless kept in a pen after hatching there whole life.

8. Likes Sig1911 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Call up the big farms and rattle off a band number and see if they can tell you WHO bought it , When and what pen it's out of ....

10. Thanks Cajun_Agimat thanked for this post
    Likes Cajun_Agimat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well my farm is not that big. Every year about this time I wing band most everything that doesn't have a band. Also leg band my pullets for easy identification. Most chicks get toe marked as they hatch a few get wing bands when they are a month or so old if they didn't get marked at hatching time. There are only so many marks in a chicken foot. And the same marks get used year after year. The only way to know what year they were hatched is to band and record the band number. Different colors or number series make it easy to quickly know what year they were hatched. It's a lot of work to single mate, Mark and band but well worth it in a serious breeding program.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Quapaw Kid View Post
    Call up the big farms and rattle off a band number and see if they can tell you WHO bought it , When and what pen it's out of ....
    They wouldn't have a clue in the world who bought that chicken. It's just a sales pitch to make u think u got a good chicken that is banded. They're all liars and crooks.

13. Likes Cajun_Agimat, Quapaw Kid liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brettjern View Post
    They wouldn't have a clue in the world who bought that chicken. It's just a sales pitch to make u think u got a good chicken that is banded. They're all liars and crooks.
    You and Quapaw may be right. I don't have a clue about that but I know when one leaves my place I try to write it down. Mark, wing band, year and where it went and to who. If they ever have an issue I want to be able to figure out where the problem may be. Just last week a friend called and said half his stags were over 6 lbs. and some of his coming cocks were 7 lbs. I looked nay book and quickly seen who's the stags father was that I sent him. He is a very good cock but showed at 6-02. Sending stags as brood fowl sometimes doesn't work as planned. I think he grew way to large to use as a brood cock. I apologized for sending him such a stag and gonna send him a smaller stag from a different pair completely. Can't do much with birds over 6 lbs. once again I'm not one of those big breeders but would think they would do similar. ???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LaBlue View Post
    You and Quapaw may be right. I don't have a clue about that but I know when one leaves my place I try to write it down. Mark, wing band, year and where it went and to who. If they ever have an issue I want to be able to figure out where the problem may be. Just last week a friend called and said half his stags were over 6 lbs. and some of his coming cocks were 7 lbs. I looked nay book and quickly seen who's the stags father was that I sent him. He is a very good cock but showed at 6-02. Sending stags as brood fowl sometimes doesn't work as planned. I think he grew way to large to use as a brood cock. I apologized for sending him such a stag and gonna send him a smaller stag from a different pair completely. Can't do much with birds over 6 lbs. once again I'm not one of those big breeders but would think they would do similar. ???

Back a couple years ago me and a friend took a trip to black water farm , and after chirs put a leg band on ask for or address and name .. we asked wat for he gave us the same reason so he can look back through his records if anything went wrong

16. Thanks LaBlue thanked for this post
    Likes Cajun_Agimat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LaBlue View Post
    Well my farm is not that big. Every year about this time I wing band most everything that doesn't have a band. Also leg band my pullets for easy identification. Most chicks get toe marked as they hatch a few get wing bands when they are a month or so old if they didn't get marked at hatching time. There are only so many marks in a chicken foot. And the same marks get used year after year. The only way to know what year they were hatched is to band and record the band number. Different colors or number series make it easy to quickly know what year they were hatched. It's a lot of work to single mate, Mark and band but well worth it in a serious breeding program.

This is is why I band every bird I breed before they are turned out to free range. When these guys hatch 2,000 plus fowl a year then pull a two year old cock off some cord and a couple of pullets out of hen pen with 40 other pullets and band them , I seriously doubt they know who the parents are.

18. Likes Cajun_Agimat, southernX, LaBlue liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Dang, I hope you guys have something better to do with your day than complain about bands... some are banded so the roosters don't get switched when being shipped.. I believe most people would like there roosters or hens banded going into a brood pen..... and stop knocking the big farms.. they got there for a reason. I'm sure those guys worked there ass off and took a lot of risk to build there business.. nobody likes a crybaby

Post Thanks / Like

I have occasionally gifted fowl or sold fowl that have made their way to Mexico. And, they wanted their fowl leg and wing banded even though I am a nobody. In my eyes It's more of a prestige thing.

21. Likes LaBlue, Dayuhan13 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Is this foreal? I would definitely do my bitching if they WEREN'T banded.

23. Likes LaBlue liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The problem isn't that they are banded, its when they were banded. At the time of shipping its to late for the band to inform you of that birds individual history. But since most big farms flock mate, they have no individual history, just family.

25. Likes Cajun_Agimat, Quapaw Kid liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Most of the big farms that u get birds from... if you call with the markings and the year you got them they can tell you exactly what u got..they have a system. It works well

27. Thanks DPotter, LaBlue thanked for this post
    Likes madmex, DPotter, KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scblue97 View Post
    Most of the big farms that u get birds from... if you call with the markings and the year you got them they can tell you exactly what u got..they have a system. It works well
    i bet they could narrow it down to around ten cocks and 50 hens lol

29. Thanks LaBlue thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Dang, I hope you guys have something better to do with your day than complain about bands... some are banded so the roosters don't get switched when being shipped.. I believe most people would like there roosters or hens banded going into a brood pen..... and stop knocking the big farms.. they got there for a reason. I'm sure those guys worked there ass off and took a lot of risk to build there business.. nobody likes a crybaby
    Don't 4get about the one's who belly ache about the bands being 2 new when shipped 😲

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk

31. Likes BamaOkie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I Wing Band all my chicks at 8-10 weeks old and info entered in to my breeding record books. So is Wing Banding birds now a Bad thing??

Post Thanks / Like

To me I think every bird on the yard you know his mother and father. Yes I have some in my books that I call the mystery cock as he had no marks. He won 8 times and made his way to the brood pen. He was mug through and through. I just didn't know his parents. Good record keeping and breeding ace cocks will help you win. I wish all good luck in their program.

Post Thanks / Like

The only reason to leg and wing band a pullet out of a pen of 10 pullets just before you ship her is for show .... the only reason to be impressed with it is because you have something to show .

I'm still not sure about double bands being a necessity , but bands are for sure .... although I look at it the same as registered a dog with UKC , each dog has a letter followed by a six digit number assigned to it and many are dna profiled .... it doesn't make it a coondog and it doesn't make the owner a breeder, but everyone still loves to brag about it ....

35. Likes Dayuhan13, spring creek liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If you don't keep records of your fowl or dogs how would you have a clue what to breed? The only way to keep records of your fowl is to band them. This is a no brainer to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Do any of you guys cut the web instead of toe punching and do you think it’s a bad thing?
    i have a toe punch but the often grow closed. I’m now keeping them penned about two months to get big enough to punch with a leather punch a bigger hole.
    I’d like to know 100% where the good ones are from.

Post Thanks / Like

I notch all my chicks with a razor instead of a toe punch. I have a small yard,,so marking 150 chicks a year isn't much work,,, and the web never grows back,,,I have never noticed any bent toes or flaws either.

Post Thanks / Like

I usually use the toe punch to cut the web... I use the the toe punch for battle fowl & cut the web for the straight stuff along with the nose markings & prefer marking them a day or so peeps

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I keep the chicks penned I toe punch some and some I don't but I put a dab of Neosporin after toe punch it keeps it from growing back right before I free range I put different colored plastic leg bands with numbers on them or different colored zip ties ive also start wing banded on some. 3 weeks then there on there own

Post Thanks / Like

This is good sense. So many here are crybabies and they dnt show their fowls either.

I also dnt show my fowls here in states. But at least Im not a crybaby.

Banding has some postive results. Some are requested by the customer.

And there is a good breeder in the farm and few bloodlines. I bet he knew what crosses are these and that

just my 2 cents.

42. Thanks Sig1911 thanked for this post
    Likes Al Sanchez liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I never band my fowl until they leave the farm or are selected for later shipment. The bands are not for my records, they are for the guys buying. I have never even used wing bands. For my records, I use toe marks and nose marks. I don't breed but two different families of fowl straight so I don't have too many different kinds to keep up with. I also use incubator to hatch, so I can single mate 4 different pens of my kelso for example, and mark them all different nose marks, raising about 30 offspring per pen, and end up with plenty of them without use of bands and still know what is out of which pen. The bands are more for the buyers. They may have fowl marked the same as the fowl I am sending them. During the summer, they may turn out all of their brood hens together and without the bands end up getting them mixed up. Also they have proof the brood fowl came from me when they are showing them off to their friends. Another reason I band roosters when selected for later shipment, some people may buy from several different farms, once the fowl reach their farm and get all mixed in, they need to know which ones came from where because many times they will have several hundred from different places they are moulting out for the next year and it would be hard to keep track of them all.

44. Thanks Sig1911 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

One more reason to band is for the 2 leg varmints.
    You know that good looking dung hill with brass wing band in right wing aluminum in the left wing, red leg band topped with a brass leg band and a story of all the aces he produced.
    Just an old Bill Futch trick.

46. Likes flea51 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gaff View Post
    Do any of you guys cut the web instead of toe punching and do you think it’s a bad thing?
    i have a toe punch but the often grow closed. I’m now keeping them penned about two months to get big enough to punch with a leather punch a bigger hole.
    I’d like to know 100% where the good ones are from.
    I web mark, and hole punch. The thing with hole punching is i always punch it again 3 weeks after i initially mark them, when i do i punch out more skin making the hole bigger. I go ahead and band them anyhkw with them holes because i still have some tear out. And if you dont notice it right away a year from then itll look similar tote web being cut, similar enough i dont wanna guess and say its this when it can be that lol

48. Likes hoghunterdave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ive used zip ties and toe punch bur again im not a big breeder and know off the backnof my head whats what.