Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Big farms banding older fowl

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Big farms banding older fowl

Since we are talking now talking about toe punch and web marking and such, My Grandfather fought on my Father's side only fought Spanish fowl and he marked his chicks at a day old by using scissors and cutting off the toe nails on toe. Many of the cockers would tell him that what he was doing was hurting his fowl but he would answer, sorry but it is my fowl that is hurting your fowl in the pit. He had a very impressive win record. He retired from the game in 1980 if I remember correctly and there were many people begging him to sell them his fowl, all with at least 1 toe nail missing. LOL

2. Thanks Sig1911 thanked for this post
    Likes Al Sanchez liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The whole reason for banding or marking fowl is for accurate record keeping. Without the records marks or bands mean nothing. If they are banding for your convenience great you will need a way to keep track of the performance yourself. There should have been a mark or band all ready in the bird and they should be able to tell you what pen it came from and how siblings preformed. Even in group mated pens the cock and hens should be identified in the records. If costumers give feedback honestly farms can adjust to keep the family up to snuff. This requires a long term relationship between the buyer and the farm, something I feel is lacking in today's world of instant gratification. Battle fowl is a whole different story.

4. Thanks Al Sanchez thanked for this post
    Likes Al Sanchez liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

many years back I only relied only on toe punches I single mated four sisters out of one I got a pullet with one blue toe with yellow legs went back to my records to see what could of happened as yes I have hatch blood but only bread them pure not used them in any crosses to my greys before
    well I disposed of her sisters' but kept her and the cock she ran the yard for three years and I decided to breed her to back to what she was supposed to be got five pullets one came with one white leg one totally blue the rest where white legged all looked pure vizzard the cocks out of this matting where exceptional
    I tried the sisters over my main cross 1/2 vizzard 1/2 tassle out of ten I raised one stag had a green foot all the rest where normal looking
    this green foot stag in his first go nocked a cock out of the pit on the break it was doing back flips through the crowd on his third time in a month he hit the pit wall so hard he broke both feet below the gaffs and could not walk but pulled off the fight anyway four of these made it to four year old and was retired to walks after many wins

the moral of this story is banding and keeping records are the most important part of breeding game fowl this story worked out but I was lucky and still never found out where I screwed up I still have this sub line and they look pure as the pure ones but keep them separate only adding the other pure ones into them so keep your records very thorough and accurate and good luck

6. Thanks Al Sanchez thanked for this post
    Likes Al Sanchez, LaBlue, Camoman liked this post