Thread: Egg eating

Post Thanks / Like

Egg eating

G'day Doc , I have a problem with my breeding hens eating their eggs , what course this and how can I stop it

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Egg eating

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    G'day Doc , I have a problem with my breeding hens eating their eggs , what course this and how can I stop it
    Hang a cabbage and plenty grit or oyster shells crushed

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

3. Likes BackNBlack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Axe is what i use. But seriously a friend of mine keeps a few old eggs, lets em go real bad/off, places in the pen and when the hen goes to eat it..........its worked for him but i wouldn't guarantee it.

Only other option if they persist eating them is collect the eggs straight away and use another hen to hatch them or incubate.
    Good luck, hope you solve the problem.

5. Likes mnthawaii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Always bring your cockfight hang out and go to someplace have sun

Post Thanks / Like

HOPE THIS HELPS.

Top 10 Ways to Prevent or Break the Egg-Eating Habit

1. Make sure your chickens are getting enough protein. Read up on what to feed chickens. The protein ratio in their layer feed should be at least 16%. You can supplement their diet with milk, yogurt and/or sunflower seeds.

2. Keep the eggshells strong. It is important to make sure that your hens are getting enough calcium in order to build strong shells. A thin shell is a broken shell and an eaten egg. The easiest way to do this is to supplement with oyster shells. If an egg does break, clean it up quickly!

3. Put a wooden egg or golf ball in the nesting box. The chicken will peck it hoping to break the “egg” open and get a yummy snack only to find it unbreakable. They will eventually give up.

4. Fill an empty egg with English mustard. (Most) chickens don’t like mustard. Blow out an egg. Carefully fill it with mustard and place it in the nesting box. When your egg eater goes to eat it, she’ll get a nasty surprise and be turned off.

5. Collect eggs frequently. Try to collect eggs 2-3 times a day. Provide a cushioned nesting box. No, you don’t need to sew an ACTUAL cushion. Just make sure there is enough natural material in the box that when the hen lays the egg, it falls softly and doesn’t crack.

6. Keep nesting boxes dim/dark. One great way to do this is to sew and install some nesting box curtains.

7. Only feed your chickens cooked/scrambled eggs. A lot of people like to supplement their chickens’ diets with eggs. Chickens eating eggs are fine. Just make sure that you are never feeding them raw eggs. They should always be cooked so that your girls don’t get a “taste” for raw eggs.

8. Build/buy slanted nesting boxes. You can build or buy nesting boxes that are slanted so that when the hen lays her egg, it rolls away and out of her sight.

9. Give them plenty of things to do and peck at. A bored or crowded chicken will take to pecking at things, even their own eggs.

10. One easy, homemade thing you can do is make toys for chickens, to keep your hens busy and pecking at the “right” thing.

SOURCE: GOOGLE :P

Sent from my SM-G610Y using Tapatalk

8. Likes irisheyes485, sinapangan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 'iNK View Post
    HOPE THIS HELPS.

Top 10 Ways to Prevent or Break the Egg-Eating Habit

1. Make sure your chickens are getting enough protein. Read up on what to feed chickens. The protein ratio in their layer feed should be at least 16%. You can supplement their diet with milk, yogurt and/or sunflower seeds.

2. Keep the eggshells strong. It is important to make sure that your hens are getting enough calcium in order to build strong shells. A thin shell is a broken shell and an eaten egg. The easiest way to do this is to supplement with oyster shells. If an egg does break, clean it up quickly!

3. Put a wooden egg or golf ball in the nesting box. The chicken will peck it hoping to break the “egg” open and get a yummy snack only to find it unbreakable. They will eventually give up.

4. Fill an empty egg with English mustard. (Most) chickens don’t like mustard. Blow out an egg. Carefully fill it with mustard and place it in the nesting box. When your egg eater goes to eat it, she’ll get a nasty surprise and be turned off.

5. Collect eggs frequently. Try to collect eggs 2-3 times a day. Provide a cushioned nesting box. No, you don’t need to sew an ACTUAL cushion. Just make sure there is enough natural material in the box that when the hen lays the egg, it falls softly and doesn’t crack.

6. Keep nesting boxes dim/dark. One great way to do this is to sew and install some nesting box curtains.

7. Only feed your chickens cooked/scrambled eggs. A lot of people like to supplement their chickens’ diets with eggs. Chickens eating eggs are fine. Just make sure that you are never feeding them raw eggs. They should always be cooked so that your girls don’t get a “taste” for raw eggs.

8. Build/buy slanted nesting boxes. You can build or buy nesting boxes that are slanted so that when the hen lays her egg, it rolls away and out of her sight.

9. Give them plenty of things to do and peck at. A bored or crowded chicken will take to pecking at things, even their own eggs.

10. One easy, homemade thing you can do is make toys for chickens, to keep your hens busy and pecking at the “right” thing.

SOURCE: GOOGLE :P

Sent from my SM-G610Y using Tapatalk
    Thank for your share! i have some questions, because my cock doesn't eat meat, he like Vegetable, i'm afraid he have not enough proteins to fight. da ga tre

Post Thanks / Like

keep your nest boxes off the ground {raised} with small opening, this has worked for me