Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Needing to shrink my birds. Best approach?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Needing to shrink my birds. Best approach?

Line breeding towards the male side should shrink them in size

Post Thanks / Like

Breed pullets, small eggs and breed as late in the season as possible. That is how people start out breeding Miniatures.
    Always breed the best smallest. You will see results strait away.

Post Thanks / Like

Well 5lbs to 6.2 should work well. Very seldom have I ever had a problem getting a large cock matched. Especially one in Derby weight up to 6.2. I prefer a cock in good shape that weighs 5.6 to 5.12. You can always sell to Viet nam. They love the shakes. But if you want smaller fowl breed late in the year. Say after June if your in a climate that gets any type of cold winter. If your in the south. Well then you just need to select. It may take some time.

4. Likes don128 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mostly my birds,at fighting weight are going 5.4 to 5.7. They gain weight very easily. Gotta watch every grain. Over fed this winter and the 3 year olds that fought a 5.5 are now well over 6 pounds. One as high as 6.9. Just bad feeding. lack of handling and such. I;m paying the price now. 6 roosters, 3 2yo and 3 3yo. Only three are fit to show.
    Dang I'm stupid.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ezpz View Post
    Mostly my birds,at fighting weight are going 5.4 to 5.7. They gain weight very easily. Gotta watch every grain. Over fed this winter and the 3 year olds that fought a 5.5 are now well over 6 pounds. One as high as 6.9. Just bad feeding. lack of handling and such. I;m paying the price now. 6 roosters, 3 2yo and 3 3yo. Only three are fit to show.
    Dang I'm stupid.
    Getting them fat during the molt is EZPZ. Just don't compound the problem trying to get the fat off to fast.
    More grain than pellet and deep litter in the pens, rotate to tie cords so as not to over work them. Chickens retain many fat soluble vitamins that can be toxic when released rapidly. So start slow.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hoghunterdave View Post
    Getting them fat during the molt is EZPZ. Just don't compound the problem trying to get the fat off to fast.
    More grain than pellet and deep litter in the pens, rotate to tie cords so as not to over work them. Chickens retain many fat soluble vitamins that can be toxic when released rapidly. So start slow.
    Thanks Dave. Best advise yet. Yea I think on the real fatties its gonna take a couple of months.

Post Thanks / Like

I also answered early in the tread. I Nadine that weighed 6:04 well now he weighs 5:10. I think yours were much the same. Little fat in cold wether won't hurt but it's a killer when it gets warm.

9. Likes hoghunterdave, southernX liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hoghunterdave View Post
    I would disagree on more grain and less pellet. Grains such as milo, corn will add fat. Where a pellet will keep them leaner. But just my opinion.

11. Thanks Al Sanchez thanked for this post
    Likes Al Sanchez liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by southernX View Post
    I would disagree on more grain and less pellet. Grains such as milo, corn will add fat. Where a pellet will keep them leaner. But just my opinion.
    Your right. I was thinking of something that would make them work in the litter. Something like no corn racing pigeon feed.

Post Thanks / Like

heartbreaking to see them feeling so good and cutting the wing and such and cant show them. Sucks.