Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: cold

Post Thanks / Like

Re: cold

been brutal week here in north central fla my temps range from 22 to 26 this morning for the week had to bust ice every morning on waters, chickens didn't skip a lick they did there roll call same as every morning.... the snook did not fair so well sad to to see all them big snook floating in the gulf belly up big fish kill, going to be a big stink temps back up mid to upper 70s next week
    Last edited by cracker; January 7th, 2018 at 11:47 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

They will be fine. Just let Nature that its course .. I have had several times that clutches of eggs sat out in 20s and most of them hatch... Keep us posted..
    Quote Originally Posted by shufflehard View Post
    Ok guy it didn't get as cold over as most all of ur up North but we did c high 20' witch is pretty damn cold for us frozen water cups for three days, I got a question any of y'all ever had a problem with eggs freezing , I have a bach of eggs that we're out one night that it got below 30 picked them up the next day they were in a nest creat with hay so the creat is half opened ull think they will still b good to hatch?

3. Thanks shufflehard thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Zero today at 8:00am lol without the wind

Post Thanks / Like

Been brutal for us this last week. Lost a red tick English dog and broke my heart, my wife and young'uns was a crying and I looked at them and said chit yal act like he was your dog....lol He was a true dog and everybody knew him in these parts because he has trail a many wounded bucks and treed on them. Going to miss that old hound but luckily I had a litter of red ticks off him this year and kept two that look like him. But chickens doing fine hatched off a couple hens this week so far and see how they hold up. so far so good, God willing,.... Hope luck to all of you this year with your hatching season.... V/r, T-bone

Post Thanks / Like

Have never lost any gamefowl to the heat or cold but they look really bad today, wet with snow on back. I fed whole corn with some canola oil stirred in. Hope it helps. This wet snow is making it rough. About 70 days to spring and can't get here soon enough.

7. Likes Camarines liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow 19 degrees this morning, felt like 60 after all the single digits we have been having. Going to warm up to 50 by Sunday. Its been a rough one here keeping water in front of roosters. I don't care what anyone tells you. When its this cold and dry your fowl NEED a good drink of water every day. Cold dry air will dry out a bird quick. When you let them get dry its hard to get them back. It just dosent happen in a few days of giving water. I would rather skip feed then water in cold weather. In fact I water everything first before I feed in the winter. Let them drink, then feed, and let them drink again if it hasn't froze. Not only is it important for digestion of the food, but we all know a fowl is made up of mostly water like 70%. I don't know how these folks that don't water everyday or say they can eat snow. You know how much f--king snow they need to eat to = a couple dips of water? A **** load. More then they will eat. When its extreme cold you will notice some fowl wont even come out of the barrel to eat. But they will all fly out to get a dip of water. So keep them hydrated, it will pay off in the end.

9. Likes Camarines, Chickinbug, catfish1947 liked this post