Thread: Gamecock breeds in Australia (advice for a beginner)

Post Thanks / Like

Gamecock breeds in Australia (advice for a beginner)

Hello to everyone.
    I am new to this forum and looking for help with getting started in gamecock breeding.
    I have a few breeds of egg laying chickens but fell in love with gamecocks on a recent
    trip to the Philippines. (My wife is fillipina). I am amazed at the knowledge and dedication
    of the breeders in the Philippines. They are amazing birds. My wifeís Tatay and brothers are
    into sabong and I got to see the birds and their training up close, now I am hooked.
    Any information or advice from you guys would be greatly appreciated. Are there any good
    books or websites I should read, on breeding and conditioning?
    what breeds are available in Australia? Especially in Victoria. I think Tatay has a texas breed.
    I like these birds. Are they a good breed to start with? Can I get them in Australia and where would I begin to look for a good bloodline?
    Obviously sabong is illegal in Australia but any other information on the legalities of certain practices in Australia would be helpful as well. Like comb cutting and teathering etc.
    thanks in advance for any help.
    Cheers cockers

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gamecock breeds in Australia (advice for a beginner)

There are many good books to read about history feeding breeding conditioning heeling genetics the list goes on some of the good books are
    cockers manual by frank gray
    The royal fowl by Ralph Berman it's an Australian book by a very well known Aussie cocker who has since passed
    King of fowls
    herbet atkinsons books
    plus many more as for Texas fowl that is referrence to the regular greys that came in from Texas area to the Phillipines
    as for fowls in Aus there are plenty of top blood line fowls depends what u like let me know and I can advise u on whether it's a good choice and characteristics of the blood
    cheers black duck gamefarm

Post Thanks / Like

Think a million times before you get into sabong seriously because it is not like other hobby , sabong is very addictive and most of all is very expensive but if you have the dolllars then it is not too expensive but you still have to spend time and effort and dedications in order to WIN. Sabong nowadays is no longer a past time or leisure like before 50 or 60 years ago, now sabong is a business and so you need to arm yourself with enough knowledge in order to save time and money. There are some fil australian cockers there in australia , you just have to find them. This is just my opinion ... Good luck and God Bless.
    Last edited by tarosa; January 9th, 2018 at 12:11 PM.

4. Likes Sig1911 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the Sport tickler! Glad that you're part of the fraternity now.

There is only 1 real website that is like a library of cockfighting and it's this one. This is the Google of cockfighting. Use ther search button on the site as we have a database of information 80GB large (text files; no videos or pics included yet) and 18 years old already.

And there are many Aussies on this site as well and they will reach out to you soon. They just have to make sure you are not RSPCA (cockfighters outside legal countries are quite secretive, you understand...)

So just read up here and that should take you a good year or two to go through it all

Best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken tickler View Post
    Hello to everyone.
    I am new to this forum and looking for help with getting started in gamecock breeding.
    I have a few breeds of egg laying chickens but fell in love with gamecocks on a recent
    trip to the Philippines. (My wife is fillipina). I am amazed at the knowledge and dedication
    of the breeders in the Philippines. They are amazing birds. My wife’s Tatay and brothers are
    into sabong and I got to see the birds and their training up close, now I am hooked.
    Any information or advice from you guys would be greatly appreciated. Are there any good
    what breeds are available in Australia? Especially in Victoria. I think Tatay has a texas breed.
    I like these birds. Are they a good breed to start with? Can I get them in Australia and where would I begin to look for a good bloodline?
    Obviously sabong is illegal in Australia but any other information on the legalities of certain practices in Australia would be helpful as well. Like comb cutting and teathering etc.
    Cheers cockers

6. Likes hoghunterdave, don128, KevinG, Sig1911 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

To Black Duck Game farm.

Cheers mate.
    Thank you for your post, very helpful.
    I have already found two of the books you mentioned. Still trying to find the royal fowl, I will keep looking for that one.
    Thanks for the info on the regular greys, that helps clear things up for me.
    Thanks for your offer of advice on breeds, I may take you up on that when the time comes. I am still researching breeds at the moment. What will best suit me and of course availability will be a big factor.
    Itís a shame we are not in the same country. We could do some business , as I am also a keen wing shooter and in the market for a good dog. Looks like you have a great set up over there.
    Thanks brother, god bless.

Post Thanks / Like

Many thanks for your advice tarosa. Thanks for your opinion.
    As I live in Australia I cannot take part in sabong here as it is illegal. I can only take part in sabong on my regular trips to the Philippines. I am hoping that the knowledge I gain in the Philippines and on this forum will help me save time and money and help me breed some fine cocks that I can be proud of. It also has created a strong bond with Tatay and my kuyas.
    The money is not an issue and I live on a farm, so I have the facilities. The time is the hardest part. But I can make time for the things I love. I hope I can find some like minded people in Australia.
    Thanks for your response tarosa.
    God bless you too.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the warm welcome sentenciador.

I am working my way through the extensive range of threads on this forum. It makes me realise that to be a true cocker will be a life long pursuit. I am just a simple country boy that loves his chickens.
    Thank you for your patience with my beginner questions.
    All the best my friend.

10. Likes LaBlue liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cock fighting is a great sport, BUT mate very very Illegal in Aussie.
    Be carful what you write here.
    GOOD LUCK.....

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the warm welcome sentenciador.
    It makes me realise that to be a true cocker will be a life long pursuit. I am just a simple country boy that loves his chickens.
    All the best my friend.
    Yes, maybe even 3 or 4 lifetimes and we still won't master it

Regards.

13. Likes Chicken tickler liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all your replies.
    what breed do people recommend to begin breeding with?
    Is there a particular breed that’s regarded as the strongest or best?
    or should I just choose a good example of a breed that I like the look of and start from there?
    do I look for a pure bred cock or are crossbreds ok?
    or is it all just personal preference?
    its no use spending time and money on a bird that will never be any good.
    sorry if these questions are stupid but I have to start somewhere and you guys are the experts.
    Thanks cockers

Post Thanks / Like

Rule number 1 don't ask what best or strongest is coz every cockers gunna tell u different since you will breeding for show and or fun choose a fowl u like to start with there are do many different name fowl lines about that sometimes I think there just made up don't get caught up on them find quality fowl that have right type and conform to standard most of the show fowl in Aus are rubbish about as game as a silky. Google the Oxford club of nsw qld and south Aus u might find something on there u like from someone in Victoria. David Holden in Victoria breeds black greys try him or if it's black red fowl your after see if you can get hold of some wineglass fowl originally bred by Ralph berman some come spangled to it's the high percentage of nth Britain white hackle blood in them as for my pick it's the wineglass good handling fowl white hackles are my next pick dead game fowl not the easiest fowl to work with if your a beginner but not saying you shouldn't give them ago they can be savage but

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Black duck game View Post
    Rule number 1 don't ask what best or strongest is coz every cockers gunna tell u different since you will breeding for show and or fun choose a fowl u like to start with there are do many different name fowl lines about that sometimes I think there just made up don't get caught up on them find quality fowl that have right type and conform to standard most of the show fowl in Aus are rubbish about as game as a silky. Google the Oxford club of nsw qld and south Aus u might find something on there u like from someone in Victoria. David Holden in Victoria breeds black greys try him or if it's black red fowl your after see if you can get hold of some wineglass fowl originally bred by Ralph berman some come spangled to it's the high percentage of nth Britain white hackle blood in them as for my pick it's the wineglass good handling fowl white hackles are my next pick dead game fowl not the easiest fowl to work with if your a beginner but not saying you shouldn't give them ago they can be savage but
    Thanks again very helpful.
    I think I have found a contact for David. I will reach out to him and see how I go.
    I have also found an old friend with some game cocks. He describes them as white hackle with a dash of hatch blood. They look good. At least I now have somewhere to start.
    Will search for some wineglass fowl as well and make a choice from there.
    Cheers mate

Post Thanks / Like

Try and find old Gamecock, Grit & Steel and Feathered Warrior from the 70's, 80's and 90's.

I read those for many years before actually having any birds and when the time came for the birds, I realized the articles there helped me a lot.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sentenciador View Post
    Try and find old Gamecock, Grit & Steel and Feathered Warrior from the 70's, 80's and 90's.

I read those for many years before actually having any birds and when the time came for the birds, I realized the articles there helped me a lot.
    I have found quite a few old books and papers. Learning alot from those.
    The magazines you mentioned seem to be tightly held collectors items. I will keep looking.
    Unfortunately you cannot buy experience.
    Cheers mate. Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like

I have found quite a few old books and papers. Learning alot from those.
    The magazines you mentioned seem to be tightly held collectors items. I will keep looking.
    Unfortunately you cannot buy experience.
    Cheers mate. Thanks again.
    Not really collectibles. Try Ebay I see a lot there now. Or Click the "Library" I scanned a few but they are from the 50's a little dated, but you can find a few gems of information in them, specially about health and feeding.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sentenciador View Post
    Not really collectibles. Try Ebay I see a lot there now. Or Click the "Library" I scanned a few but they are from the 50's a little dated, but you can find a few gems of information in them, specially about health and feeding.
    Thanks for the tip. I will check it out.
    Found an old friend in Australia thatís a breeder. Learning alot from him to.
    I feel like Iím at the beginning of a long journey. 😀

Post Thanks / Like

National Bookstore in the Philippines carries gamefowl related books and magazines. Get the book by Mr. Angel Lansang and Mr. Antonio Hidalgo. Magazines are The Gamefowl, Sagupaan, and Pitmaster to name a few. Poultry feeds stores carry this gamefowl magazines.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Camarines View Post
    National Bookstore in the Philippines carries gamefowl related books and magazines. Get the book by Mr. Angel Lansang and Mr. Antonio Hidalgo. Magazines are The Gamefowl, Sagupaan, and Pitmaster to name a few. Poultry feeds stores carry this gamefowl magazines.
    Thank you. I will search for these. I have two more days in the Philippines.
    I hope I can find some of these.
    I have seen some great fowl since I have been here. Fillipinos really know their gamefowl.
    Enjoyed my stay very much.

23. Likes Camarines liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Spent 2 days in Manila before flying home. Whilst searching for books and magazines, I stumbled across the 5th annual gamecock festival. WOW! I was in heaven. There were so many good quality birds. I was awestruck. I was certainly in the right place to learn. Shame I only got there at the end of the last day. I could have spent hours there. The people were very friendly and only to glad to help. One guy gave me his copy of gamefowl magazine and refused to take money. Another guy gave a tshirt, he also refused to accept money. Then a rep from thunderbird arranged a couple of promotional show bags for me ,full of cool stuff. I was overwhelmed by their kindness and generosity. I learned alot on my stay and I hope my learning continues at the same rate now that Iím back in Australia. Now search for quality birds truly begins.
    Would still love to hear from any aussie enthusiasts.
    Thanks to all
    cheers cockers

25. Likes Camarines liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Spent 2 days in Manila before flying home. Whilst searching for books and magazines, I stumbled across the 5th annual gamecock festival. WOW! I was in heaven. There were so many good quality birds. I was awestruck. I was certainly in the right place to learn. Shame I only got there at the end of the last day. I could have spent hours there. The people were very friendly and only to glad to help. One guy gave me his copy of gamefowl magazine and refused to take money. Another guy gave a tshirt, he also refused to accept money. Then a rep from thunderbird arranged a couple of promotional show bags for me ,full of cool stuff. I was overwhelmed by their kindness and generosity. I learned alot on my stay and I hope my learning continues at the same rate now that I’m back in Australia. Now search for quality birds truly begins.
    Would still love to hear from any aussie enthusiasts.
    Thanks to all
    cheers cockers
    Google Wildfoot Game Farm or search on youtube. He's from Australia and Philippines and competes at World Slasher Cup. Was runner up twice I believe 2007 and 2017.

27. Likes Chicken tickler liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Camarines View Post
    Google Wildfoot Game Farm or search on youtube. He's from Australia and Philippines and competes at World Slasher Cup. Was runner up twice I believe 2007 and 2017.
    Thank you Camarines. Wildfoot definitely has quality birds. If his Australian birds are as good as his birds in the Philippines, I couldnít go wrong.
    Will be interesting to see how much a quality breeding trio is worth in Australia.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Chicken tickler,
    what a handle name. try to search the name matt dunne, he came from Cairns but settled in PI living the dream, gamefowl.

am from the northeast victoria, so if you happen to passby pls let me know. cheers!

Hello to everyone.
    of the breeders in the Philippines. They are amazing birds. My wifeís Tatay and brothers are
    Cheers cockers

30. Likes Camarines liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rolei View Post
    Hi Chicken tickler,
    what a handle name. try to search the name matt dunne, he came from Cairns but settled in PI living the dream, gamefowl.

am from the northeast victoria, so if you happen to passby pls let me know. cheers!
    My handle name comes from a friend that gave it to me because of my love for chickens. Typical Aussie sense of humour. 😀. It is pretty funny.
    Thanks for the tip. I will look up mr Dunne.
    I am in south victoria but will let you know if Iím up your way.
    Thanks Rolei. I need all the help I can get. Iíve made some good contacts on this site already,but Aussie locals are very secretive and skeptical of newbies. Understandably so.
    I hope more people like, yourself, will reach out to me in time.
    Thanks brother.

Post Thanks / Like

Managed to find some maclean hatch, white hackles and asils. He has some clarets also but not sure I can get my hands on those. All proven birds so it’s a good start.
    Does anyone have any opinions on these birds for someone starting out?
    My plan was to keep at least two pure lines and then cross from them. Is this the right way to go?

Post Thanks / Like

It's just my personal opinion....starting with 2 lines is more than what you basically need, considering you're just starting. Even the best and most experienced out there will tell you that there is no such thing as a "perfect line"...especially in competition (where legal of course). Producing fowls that perform "consistently" the way we want them to is what most of us are after. However, just as previously mentioned, ''not even 3 lifetimes" is enough to make one a master. Breeding fowls towards "perfection" will always be a never-ending endeavor, since there is no such thing as "perfection" with game fowls as far as I'm concerned.

Personally, it is important that you get fowls from someone you know or reputable. Start with basic lines with good foundation. You will get experience as you go along and coupled with guidance from books/reading materials and other fellow enthusiasts, you will eventually end up having it your own way...from selection, breeding methods, rearing, etc...etc.. Serious interest in game fowls is a must and should be an important prerequisite. Oh, and another personal opinion...being over enthusiastic is good...but just don't over do things. Most often, it does more damage than good. It's an experience and something I learned had decades back when I was still into it.

Good luck on your venture!
    Last edited by 1min.shuffle; February 13th, 2018 at 09:19 AM.

34. Thanks Chicken tickler thanked for this post
    Likes airjammer88 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Managed to find some maclean hatch, white hackles and asils. He has some clarets also but not sure I can get my hands on those. All proven birds so it’s a good start.
    Does anyone have any opinions on these birds for someone starting out?
    My plan was to keep at least two pure lines and then cross from them. Is this the right way to go?
    Hatch and claret is a classic cross and if they are good that’s what I would try to acuire and if you can get 2 pairs of each breed instead of a trio. You will have more options for makeing sub families. Yfis

36. Thanks Chicken tickler thanked for this post