Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Like Mr. Boles

Post Thanks / Like

Like Mr. Boles

I have a question for everyone. It may be better in the Boles thread, but I think it may get enough comments to warrant it's own thread. Here it goes.

It is said that Mr. Boles tested hard at home and did not take a feather to a show unless he had 3 or 4 blue ribbons first. Has anyone else tried this in the past with any success? What are your thoughts and opinions?
    Last edited by finoblitz; January 11th, 2018 at 10:41 PM.

2. Likes Camarines liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Like Mr. Boles

I have done it and it paid off ... but , if you know what you're looking for and are brutally honest .... I don't think you would end up picking out any differnt ones to show , it's more of a tool for guys that don't have a natural eye or on fowl new to you . It also wouldn't be any good for 75% of families out there that aren't greaet cutters or win on gameness.

4. Thanks jacyro thanked for this post
    Likes bazsdmeg2u, hoghunterdave, Nauvoo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by finoblitz View Post
    I have a question for everyone. It may be better in the Boles thread, but I think it may get enough comments to warrant it's own thread. Here it goes.

It is said that Mr. Boles tested hard at home and did not take a feather to a show unless he had 3 or 4 blue ribbons first. Has anyone else tried this in the past with any success? What are your thoughts and opinions?
    I've never had to win 3 or 4 at home but idk y anyone that shows spur would take one to a show they aint seen one win at home, and pay someone to kill him...but that's just me

Lucas

6. Likes southernX, lawgreyman14, Nauvoo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would think pushing for 3 & 4 wins is counterproductive, if you’re breeding program is producing fairly consistently by the time you get to those wins you’ve met and ruined one just as good, if not both and that will play its toll on show day. Now if you’re getting those type wins at home n the losses are all stacked on another breed/mating, well that’s self explanatory (I hope!). A win, or even a second I can see being justified, it can show you a lot about what to expect, lots you can learn about your birds from it. Example: If they all win on gameness and can’t cut a lick straight off a cord, expect nothing better and fewer wins than they produce at home...... many other examples and results you can learn.

Post Thanks / Like

No way for the SK, you'd just be wasting cocks.

9. Likes turbo_harpoon, gapman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nauvoo View Post
    I would think pushing for 3 & 4 wins is counterproductive, if you’re breeding program is producing fairly consistently by the time you get to those wins you’ve met and ruined one just as good, if not both and that will play its toll on show day. Now if you’re getting those type wins at home n the losses are all stacked on another breed/mating, well that’s self explanatory (I hope!). A win, or even a second I can see being justified, it can show you a lot about what to expect, lots you can learn about your birds from it. Example: If they all win on gameness and can’t cut a lick straight off a cord, expect nothing better and fewer wins than they produce at home...... many other examples and results you can learn.
    Yes...that's y I like to do it this way...u find your natural cuttin stags if u pull them straight outta pens/cords and win...they should only do better with a keep

Lucas

11. Likes hoghunterdave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don’t believe it! I have seen the man show many times after testing 3 or 4 Times at home anything left would not have been in very good condition to go anywhere .I do believe perhaps he may have culled and tested gameness.I think anyone who has seen what I’ve seen would agree. I have also seen him lose 5 straight,so were those tested at home also?The blowhards say he purged them.I call it just getting rid of junk.Why did he lose so many ? Who knows. Funny out of all those who claim to have his blood no one has come close to his record.Why?

13. Likes runner, roostercm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Champion farms View Post
    I don’t believe it! I have seen the man show many times after testing 3 or 4 Times at home anything left would not have been in very good condition to go anywhere .I do believe perhaps he may have culled and tested gameness.I think anyone who has seen what I’ve seen would agree. I have also seen him lose 5 straight,so were those tested at home also?The blowhards say he purged them.I call it just getting rid of junk.Why did he lose so many ? Who knows. Funny out of all those who claim to have his blood no one has come close to his record.Why?
    Are you arguing with yourself?? If your raising a bunch of cutting chickens and you fight them into each other, you might end up with a bunch of cut up half lunged junk. You own the same ones long enough, you should know what ya got

15. Thanks don128 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There aren’t any guarantees he’s gonna win the next one,just cause he wins don’t mean he’s gonna do it again. You’ll find some better ones for sure but I like solid broodpens solid care and a fresh rooster myself. Its just boosting your own confidence. Lol. Just kidding. Everything, Everyone every fight is different every time.

Post Thanks / Like

Some styles are just going to outperform others so one can use this tool to some extent but not a guarantee. You may have killed your better roosters as maybe they were off that day. I never used it but never was in the competition most on here were and never raised many usually 20 or less per year. I'm not disagreeing with anyone here as if it works for you then that is all that matters.

18. Likes don128 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Many different ways to to the trophy room.
    Law would not fight a bird he thought had been cut.

20. Likes deerhunter, lawgreyman14 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A friend of mine that use to live in Calif, was always at the fights, when legal, in Ariz. He said he was sitting with Clarence, when Bobby pitted one and the rooster took one step off the line, but whipped the other cock in 1 pitting. Clarence told my friend that cock would be killed because he took a step off the line.

22. Likes bazsdmeg2u liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Noshow maybe I forgot punctuation! What you said is what I meant.

24. Likes Noshow liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pigiron-kelso View Post
    A friend of mine that use to live in Calif, was always at the fights, when legal, in Ariz. He said he was sitting with Clarence, when Bobby pitted one and the rooster took one step off the line, but whipped the other cock in 1 pitting. Clarence told my friend that cock would be killed because he took a step off the line.
    I don’t dought that happened but my experience was they never sat there and waited.Illusive yes,not overly smart,would break a little,stay just out of range,cut you to pieces and and had extreme livability.

26. Likes KAHUNA NO KA OI, bazsdmeg2u liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I believe one test at a year of age can help a breeding program, but it's also costly for those breeders who don't breed many!

28. Likes don128 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The idea in general worrys me. Anything with a ribbon or 2 I bring for a 2nd or third always has me worried somethings going to be wrong internally. But I'm an overyhinking paranoid type feller. I personally appreciate a fresh rooster. I think less lol

30. Likes spring creek, roostercm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just hearsay, but heard this was just a myth, that Bobby laughed when he heard it and stated if that was true about fighting at home, I wouldn't have any to fight. He did test his brood cock for replacement pullets it is ssid he called it a purge...but like I said only hearsay like it all Bobby was the Mystery Man.
    Last edited by Sul Ross; January 12th, 2018 at 04:47 AM.

32. Likes GP13 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That mite work with a smart asil type chicken against and old dum hatch chicken just because he would learn from ever experience.Would be a horrible idea for a Blueface .

Post Thanks / Like

When you seen that old man standing there across the pit from you.....It was like the same feeling those poor Bastards felt when they looked across the ring at Mike Tyson in his heyday....and when the bell rang, you had about the same chance of getting out alive.....I was there.....KAHUNA...

Post Thanks / Like

There is a way to test at home. Not get your rooster cut and also tell how well he cuts with any weapon. Also you won't loose much money doing it.

Post Thanks / Like

I feel that testing this way is just a part of good management. We have a few pairs of old 1 1/4 - 1 1/2's. We never sharpen them. Most times like 98% of the times that's how we cull. Even if its one we don't like crooked breast etc. We heel them up and roll them. Even a cock that is questionable in health. We run every stag through when there about a year to 16 months old. But you cant be stupid about it, When you see two going at it like there gonna kill each other quick then its time to pick them up. Ive always felt there is no point feeding a looser. When you go through your stags before cording for me that's around a year old. Most times there are some your gonna cull for various reasons. Those we heel up till the end. Others you stop before it gets to far. Yes stuff happens sometimes you will rattle a good stag. we don't keep any fowl that's been rattled. But that's why you raise a bunch. Just part of it.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a hard time believing you can fight down your stags to win 2 to 3 times in the back yard before you to the pit unless they don't cut
    the only way it would do me any good is to have a few guy over and try them out
    I believe bobby looked for a style they showed more than looking for cut as if he heeled up to brothers with the same style and cut its who got who first
    this should be how everyone's chickens should be not just his I understand some cut better than others but it the style of the way they cut that counts
    if you need to test cut every year to find that cut your family are not good cutters and need to find one that does
    even the ones I cull every year they cut extremely good it the way they go about it what makes them culls not there cutting ability

the very aggressive family's will be harder to find the very best one as they are in to close to see what is happening the more defensive ones you can see it better as they will not get in there easier to see what they are doing

38. Likes CA whitetoppy06 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by southernX View Post
    I feel that testing this way is just a part of good management. We have a few pairs of old 1 1/4 - 1 1/2's. We never sharpen them. Most times like 98% of the times that's how we cull. Even if its one we don't like crooked breast etc. We heel them up and roll them. Even a cock that is questionable in health. We run every stag through when there about a year to 16 months old. But you cant be stupid about it, When you see two going at it like there gonna kill each other quick then its time to pick them up. Ive always felt there is no point feeding a looser. When you go through your stags before cording for me that's around a year old. Most times there are some your gonna cull for various reasons. Those we heel up till the end. Others you stop before it gets to far. Yes stuff happens sometimes you will rattle a good stag. we don't keep any fowl that's been rattled. But that's why you raise a bunch. Just part of it.
    you say if you see them going at it good most times it be to late with good cutting chickens like you said they live 1/4 under there skin right
    don't you think it the way they go about it is a better test

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by moseley View Post
    There is a way to test at home. Not get your rooster cut and also tell how well he cuts with any weapon. Also you won't loose much money doing it.
    What method are you referring to buddy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vizzard n tassl View Post
    you say if you see them going at it good most times it be to late with good cutting chickens like you said they live 1/4 under there skin right
    don't you think it the way they go about it is a better test
    There is no doubt your gonna loose some that way you wish you could of saved. If your on the ball its few and far between. If all the stags you raise are that good that the first time pitted are gonna kill in two to three pittings then give me your number. I have as good or better fowl as any body around and I cant say there that good. LOL. That's just part of it. There are lots of ways to test your fowl. I like mine to taste alittle steel myself.

42. Likes eaglebeak, Quapaw Kid liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by southernX View Post
    There is no doubt your gonna loose some that way you wish you could of saved. If your on the ball its few and far between. If all the stags you raise are that good that the first time pitted are gonna kill in two to three pittings then give me your number. I have as good or better fowl as any body around and I cant say there that good. LOL. That's just part of it. There are lots of ways to test your fowl. I like mine to taste alittle steel myself.
    mine do cut that good and have many flaws also but when I've tried short heels all I see is who got into who first
    is that not what you want you stag to finish two or three buckles at least disable within this time

Post Thanks / Like

What flaws?.......""""""""

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Quapaw Kid View Post
    What flaws?.......""""""""
    They only win 99%!!!

Lucas

Post Thanks / Like

Back when it was legal of course, I decided to give bobby's home school method a try. A friend came over with a couple new sets of long gaffs. Bobby's method was clear and friends being friends, we decided to test out the gaffs and sparred a set of 50 50 Asil crosses. Well everything went great with the first two brothers . Billed them up and they ran at each other, both jumped up and both came down dead. They had never been sparred, so the method was working, thats what I wanted to believe. Now here is were we check to see if Bobby's method would work for me. Laced up the next two brothers, billed them up. Once again they went up and both came down dead. I think Bobby's has a great method, but you need a ton of birds to get three and four time winners.

47. Likes CA whitetoppy06 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We test our lines yearly just to make sure they still have the traits we want. GAMENESS being first. The best way we have found is to only put one gaff on each rooster that your testing. And we usually tie the gaff on the right leg. This Decreases your chance of one getting killed or hurt real bad quick. We've tested this way for years and it really works great.