Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Like Mr. Boles

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Like Mr. Boles

Quote Originally Posted by bazsdmeg2u View Post
    Back when it was legal of course, I decided to give bobby's home school method a try. A friend came over with a couple new sets of long gaffs. Bobby's method was clear and friends being friends, we decided to test out the gaffs and sparred a set of 50 50 Asil crosses. Well everything went great with the first two brothers . Billed them up and they ran at each other, both jumped up and both came down dead. They had never been sparred, so the method was working, thats what I wanted to believe. Now here is were we check to see if Bobby's method would work for me. Laced up the next two brothers, billed them up. Once again they went up and both came down dead. I think Bobby's has a great method, but you need a ton of birds to get three and four time winners.
    Reckon that meant they didn’t have any livability to them?

Post Thanks / Like

When legal. We had a large group of guys who would get together and fight stags. And I mean a lot of stags in a day. All in the LH. So yes when I took an entry to the derbies many were 2-4 time winners as stags. And it paid off to do it. And by far the Best way to cull also.
    My partner and I went to a 5 cock at Sierra Bonita and the 5 birds we showed had 17 wins between them.--- We went 1-4,
    This Partner a month later wanted to fight his donkey left over birds.(same Pit) Won the derby straight fights with what I thought were culls. So go figure.

3. Likes RLaurent14, Quapaw Kid, hugoboss liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nauvoo View Post
    Reckon that meant they didn’t have any livability to them?
    You could be right. Off the cord, not dried out, on the wet side. Being brothers they would both take the same side step and hit each other with the same timing. Against each other they don't look as good, as against straight American Fowl. That little side works well against hot headed fowl.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Quapaw Kid View Post
    What flaws?.......""""""""
    Trying to be to smart not taking advantage of of the moment
    Being too aggressive
    Wasting motion on easier opponents
    Like I said many flaws

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lucasemerson View Post
    They only win 99%!!!

Lucas
    Un like you I believe if my competitors all have tough chicken I better find some that can beat them or ty at least not into flipping a coin to see who wins

Post Thanks / Like

Lots of good info on this site but you still not a since of humor

Post Thanks / Like

I know a couple guys that would enter their untested bullstags in the 1 2 3 option of the derby. They would take the winners and set back for another option entry and the winners would be combined for entry to a full derby. This seemed to work pretty good for them. Also got to see their entry into other entries that they would have to face so could judge their roosters against the real competition. This was their main culling system. The option only cost them $50 and the derbies were small like 20 - 60 entries so they said they won enough to cover their habit. They were cheap like me.

Post Thanks / Like

I had a partner for a number of yrs. He tested his stags at each other, keeping the winners. Mine were just fresh healthy two yrs old fought in competition. The majority of the derbies we won were with my cocks, he fed all the shows.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vizzard n tassl View Post
    Un like you I believe if my competitors all have tough chicken I better find some that can beat them or ty at least not into flipping a coin to see who wins

Last edited by lucasemerson; January 14th, 2018 at 02:20 AM. Reason: What's the point

Post Thanks / Like

Iím no different than you I know it tough be I refuse to use this as a reason not to breed them and try to get them better
    Yes We donít draw 100 entryís but up to 50 in the big ones and Iím at all of them but the entry fee is 1000 to 2000
    You need to open your mind if you think you can find better ones then you will
    Itís your mind set that makes or breaks you

Post Thanks / Like

If you know your fowl well enough you know when one is not up to par ...many times I would hear.. Man I knew I should of culled him ...they see a rooster & no matter what they won't cull

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I’m no different than you I know it tough be I refuse to use this as a reason not to breed them and try to get them better
    Yes We don’t draw 100 entry’s but up to 50 in the big ones and I’m at all of them but the entry fee is 1000 to 2000
    You need to open your mind if you think you can find better ones then you will
    It’s your mind set that makes or breaks you

No the biggest difference is I've never said I win 25 derbies a year average but only won 12 last season lol

Lucas

Post Thanks / Like

No the biggest difference is I've never said I win 25 derbies a year average but only won 12 last season lol

Lucas
    Sign me up for that average!

Post Thanks / Like

Lucas
    Iím looking at all my posts I will respond once I find this post as the most I ever did is 24 out 47 and I donít think I posted that on here

Post Thanks / Like

If that is 24 derbies out of 47 that is one heck of a record. Congrats v n t.
    I’m looking at all my posts I will respond once I find this post as the most I ever did is 24 out 47 and I don’t think I posted that on here

Post Thanks / Like

This isa good thread. We use to show every week. Sometimes twice a week. We always win 8-12 derbies a year. My best season by may I had won 17 derbies. I told of the derby I lost my money fight he was my best sparring cock but couldn't cut. He lost an hour or more fight. The next day me and my wife culled out 28 cocks. With spurs. We win the next 3 derbies. It cost less to lose them in the back yard than in money derbies.

18. Thanks southernX, GP13 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ya'll are gonna have to let somebody else win one or nobody's going to show up.lol

20. Thanks LaBlue thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

heck of a year LaBlue. Quality roosters no doubt
    Quote Originally Posted by LaBlue View Post
    This isa good thread. We use to show every week. Sometimes twice a week. We always win 8-12 derbies a year. My best season by may I had won 17 derbies. I told of the derby I lost my money fight he was my best sparring cock but couldn't cut. He lost an hour or more fight. The next day me and my wife culled out 28 cocks. With spurs. We win the next 3 derbies. It cost less to lose them in the back yard than in money derbies.

Post Thanks / Like

Lo rcr I never let no one win. If they won it was no help from me. We fought around 200 fights a year. And win on the average 120-150. I remember many time stepping in the pit and the gamblers laying 2-1.

Post Thanks / Like

Lo rcr I never let no one win. If they won it was no help from me. We fought around 200 fights a year. And win on the average 120-150. I remember many time stepping in the pit and the gamblers laying 2-1.
    Got to win that kind of a percentage laying 2 to 1 to stay even.Heck of a percentage.

Post Thanks / Like

It's all on record. We win cocker of the year 4 years in a row. At Ark La Tex game club. They averaged 80 entries every 2 weeks.

Post Thanks / Like

But back to the origin of the thread. We tested most at home before they went to a show.

26. Likes southernX liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mr Dale how did you test them? Did you put a plastic spur? 0r they natural? And which one stay with you and which ones did you cull? How lon did you spar them ( how many minutes?) please tell me! Thanks for YOUR answer, just like to know from a Success breeder and COY for many years, REGARDS PEDRO 👍

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    Mr Dale how did you test them? Did you put a plastic spur? 0r they natural? And which one stay with you and which ones did you cull? How lon did you spar them ( how many minutes?) please tell me! Thanks for YOUR answer, just like to know from a Success breeder and COY for many years, REGARDS PEDRO 👍
    One left victorious and one went out on his shield

Lucas

29. Likes LaBlue, lawgreyman14 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    Mr Dale how did you test them? Did you put a plastic spur? 0r they natural? And which one stay with you and which ones did you cull? How lon did you spar them ( how many minutes?) please tell me! Thanks for YOUR answer, just like to know from a Success breeder and COY for many years, REGARDS PEDRO 
    pedro I think you win a mug pullet? If you did I hope she is being good to you. This was back when legal. I would heal two in 2 gaffs 2" long. The ones that killed in the fly win 5 straight two weeks later.

31. Likes Sig1911, roostercm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The ones that won in 2-3 pittings they win the derby two weeks later.

33. Likes Sig1911, roostercm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That has happened to me LaBlue. I was in against a big timer once and they were laying 100-50 against me. My cock broke every bone in the big timers rooster in the first pitting. Squawked and tried running off. So the gamblers never can tell.
    Whipped him again the next derby at 100-60 underdog. I bet him $200 even money both times.

35. Likes DenDog, spring creek, Sig1911, Bloodsport liked this post