Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Asils not cutting!!

Post Thanks / Like

Asils not cutting!!

I had been eagerly waiting to show my asil crosses, and so Iíve shown 6 of them in 3 different entries and they all lost, whatís so frustrating about this is that they have been way superior than their opponents, I mean they literally whip them left and right but just donít cut at all. They are Ĺ asil blood but are very fast and sometimes even faster than American roosters and not to mention their sidestepping the opponents canít hit them at all itís actually not until my roosters get tired that they go in to the opponents hitting range and itís just so disappointing that makes me think that if they could cut they would come out unscratched. The first time I showed them I thought I had messed them up during the keep then another handler trained one with the same results and a third time a different handler did the keep and none of the times they have cut. I did breed some ľ grades and they do cut but they tend to lose their smartness and sidestepping which is one of the main reasons I got them in the first place. I was just wondering if any of you have had the same experience, or if you have any suggestions as far as what I could do about this? Honestly if I could get them to cut they would be very, very tough to beat.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Asils not cutting!!

Quote Originally Posted by K stag View Post
    I had been eagerly waiting to show my asil crosses, and so I’ve shown 6 of them in 3 different entries and they all lost, what’s so frustrating about this is that they have been way superior than their opponents, I mean they literally whip them left and right but just don’t cut at all. They are Ĺ asil blood but are very fast and sometimes even faster than American roosters and not to mention their sidestepping the opponents can’t hit them at all it’s actually not until my roosters get tired that they go in to the opponents hitting range and it’s just so disappointing that makes me think that if they could cut they would come out unscratched. The first time I showed them I thought I had messed them up during the keep then another handler trained one with the same results and a third time a different handler did the keep and none of the times they have cut. I did breed some ľ grades and they do cut but they tend to lose their smartness and sidestepping which is one of the main reasons I got them in the first place. I was just wondering if any of you have had the same experience, or if you have any suggestions as far as what I could do about this? Honestly if I could get them to cut they would be very, very tough to beat.
    I send you a p.m/////////////********

Post Thanks / Like

IF they don't cut. It is probably the birds, not something you did wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

I had been eagerly waiting to show my asil crosses, and so Iíve shown 6 of them in 3 different entries and they all lost, whatís so frustrating about this is that they have been way superior than their opponents, I mean they literally whip them left and right but just donít cut at all. They are Ĺ asil blood but are very fast and sometimes even faster than American roosters and not to mention their sidestepping the opponents canít hit them at all itís actually not until my roosters get tired that they go in to the opponents hitting range and itís just so disappointing that makes me think that if they could cut they would come out unscratched. The first time I showed them I thought I had messed them up during the keep then another handler trained one with the same results and a third time a different handler did the keep and none of the times they have cut. I did breed some ľ grades and they do cut but they tend to lose their smartness and sidestepping which is one of the main reasons I got them in the first place. I was just wondering if any of you have had the same experience, or if you have any suggestions as far as what I could do about this? Honestly if I could get them to cut they would be very, very tough to beat.
    Try a different weapon buddy! Sometimes it helps.

5. Likes Jailbird6, Resendiz74, Cajun_Agimat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Over worked asil super musculiar too strong equals no cut

Post Thanks / Like

How were they prepaired? And how were they fed and pointed? Pleasw explain further.

Post Thanks / Like

If you have anymore of them trying different settings( out and lil higher than spur) and less curvy heel and see what happen

9. Likes Al Sanchez, spring creek liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for replying, to answer your questions well I had been thinking it is the birds but what makes me have second thoughts about it is that the few birds that I grated down to ľ have been cutting very well but like I mentioned before they show more like American fowl, which is not bad at all but I just love it when a good asil makes the opponent fall in to their style of fight and then just suddenly do a lot of damage with a couple of hits. Finoblitz I live in Mexico and the only weapon we use around here is SK so can’t really try a different one. Nem 76 I have had bad experiences with overworked American fowl so do to the asils bodies I didn’t overwork them, not saying I did everything perfect but I tried to do my best possible.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Genis View Post
    How were they prepaired? And how were they fed and pointed? Pleasw explain further.
    I've read that asils are prepared differently but that's about it and since I don't have much experience with them I just rotated them during keep and fed them pretty similarly to my other birds when in keep and for pointing i did the same exept that I didn't really empty them completely, so I don't know if I messed up doing that.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry bud that was just a wild guess

Post Thanks / Like

Breed a different pair, don't train asil crosses like the rest, try a different knife & botana (professional)

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyo View Post
    If you have anymore of them trying different settings( out and lil higher than spur) and less curvy heel and see what happen
    Yes I actually have about 18- 20 of them left and you know I had been thinking the exact same thing, that maybe it has to be a different setting and I actually am going to try that but I was thinking of trying it against a couple of culls to see if they cut when heeled differently, instead of taking them to shows and loosing birds and $$ thank you for the advise

15. Likes Nauvoo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes I actually have about 18- 20 of them left and you know I had been thinking the exact same thing, that maybe it has to be a different setting and I actually am going to try that but I was thinking of trying it against a couple of culls to see if they cut when heeled differently, instead of taking them to shows and loosing birds and $$ thank you for the advise
    I may have missed it. What are u crossing your Asil blood with?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by INCUBUS06 View Post
    Breed a different pair, don't train asil crosses like the rest, try a different knife & botana (professional)

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the advise. I defenetly will try a different knife and botana and since I did breed quite a few asils I did different crosses so I still got a few more to test.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tonetone559 View Post
    I may have missed it. What are u crossing your Asil blood with?
    Since it was my first time breeding them I crossed them with a few different breeds to see what works best. I crossed them with my Mclean hatch, sweaters, rounheads, kelsos and black shufflers, so far I've tested a couple of hatches a sweater a black shuffler and a couple of roundhead crosses.

Post Thanks / Like

I really like My leiper/Asil crosses this year I'll try bama black on asil we will see.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tonetone559 View Post
    I really like My leiper/Asil crosses this year I'll try bama black on asil we will see.
    What type of asil do you have?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for replying, to answer your questions well I had been thinking it is the birds but what makes me have second thoughts about it is that the few birds that I grated down to ľ have been cutting very well but like I mentioned before they show more like American fowl, which is not bad at all but I just love it when a good asil makes the opponent fall in to their style of fight and then just suddenly do a lot of damage with a couple of hits. Finoblitz I live in Mexico and the only weapon we use around here is SK so canít really try a different one. Nem 76 I have had bad experiences with overworked American fowl so do to the asils bodies I didnít overwork them, not saying I did everything perfect but I tried to do my best possible.
    Try a different style knife. Media Luna worked best for us with asil grades.

22. Likes don128, Resendiz74, KevinG, Sig1911 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

​check the opponent after and see how your birds are hitting. Holes with a kn are no good.

24. Likes Nauvoo, lawgreyman14, Quapaw Kid liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Use a straight knife with no boot on it remember asils do not pull towards themself when fighting so if u are using a knife with a boot on it your bird is most likely hitting with the out side of the knife in other word use a navaja recta q no tenga halon for asils or oriental fowl

26. Thanks Nauvoo thanked for this post
    Likes roostercm, KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What type of asil do you have?
    Sanotal there on the small side ..........................

Post Thanks / Like

Recta, Media Luna or Guadana. I always used a media L on flat botana and recta on a professional ventajosa. Worked well on halfs x with RH. If not stick to the 1/4 s. Best wishes.
    Semper Fidelis
    Last edited by KevinG; January 14th, 2018 at 12:45 AM.

29. Thanks Nauvoo thanked for this post
    Likes Sig1911 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Am surely sure( from experience) that some degree of embarrassment was felt as well, when your birds gave everything they had,( including your hard earned $$), 'cause opponent was still alive despite being whipped left and right or in all angles. But in life though, sometimes, lessons are learned the hard way. So yeah, they should have been tested first and foremost on culls( which I think is how the late Bobby Boles did it). Hope that you can find where the problem is. Best of luck.

31. Likes Bloodsport, Al Sanchez, tonetone559 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ihave done some research on them myself and NO HIGH POINT BLADE low and stright will do it every time YFIS

33. Thanks Nauvoo thanked for this post
    Likes Resendiz74 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Might be the knife tier..........

35. Likes roostercm, Nauvoo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

They sometimes push off with their feet but that many crosses not likely the problem.

Post Thanks / Like

It's more than likely combination of knife, botana, and keep.

I would recommend a media Luna and a regular botana or natural en Espanol.

Also if they are too tight, they will cut less. They also do not require the biggest short knife. I have won with asils in SK with a small 1" against 1-1/2" plus.

If they are right and they don't take off your leg in the first buckle you have great chances. The longer the fight the better your odds.

Just what I have learned with my experience with Orientals.

Good luck.
    Last edited by finoblitz; January 15th, 2018 at 10:35 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

All fowl don't cut well. Id say you may have that kind.

39. Likes vizzard n tassl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

what i do is put vasaline on his spurs and spar one buckle then check the other bird to see if he is greasy just a thought he may be hitting with his right leg

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks every one for there advise, i think what yu guys mentioned about the type of knife that has to be used makes alot of sense, and also the way that has to be tied.