Thread: HSU$ Sponsors anti-cockfighting Federal legislation

Post Thanks / Like

HSU$ Sponsors anti-cockfighting Federal legislation

http://www.humanesociety.org/news/pr...ww.google.com/

November 1, 2017
    Federal legislation introduced to combat animal fighting in the U.S. territories

Media Contact: Thaisi Da Silva: 202-578-6767, tdasilva@humanesociety.org

http://www.humanesociety.org/about/e...er_id839110292

Today a bipartisan group of House lawmakers introduced legislation to upgrade the federal law against dogfighting and cockfighting to clarify that the territories of the United States are not exempt from a series of legal prohibitions against animal fighting. Reps. Peter Roskam, R-Ill., Earl Blumenauer, D-Ore., Rodney Davis, R-Ill., Rick Nolan, D-Minn., Kevin Yoder, R-Kan., Tony Cárdenas, D-Calif., Steve Knight, R-Calif., Rep. Brad Sherman, D-Calif., and Rep. Vern Buchanan, R-Fla., introduced the Parity in Animal Cruelty Enforcement (PACE) Act, H.R. 4202, today, clarifying that the federal prohibitions against animal fighting apply everywhere in the United States, including U.S. territories.
    Congress has upgraded the federal law against animal fighting four times in the last 15 years. Under current federal law, it is a felony crime to sponsor or exhibit an animal in a fighting venture; to buy, sell, deliver, possess, train or transport an animal for fighting purposes; to use the Postal Service or other interstate means to promote animal fighting; to buy, sell, deliver or transport cockfighting implements; and to bring a minor to an animal fight. It is a federal misdemeanor to be a spectator at an animal fighting spectacle. The prohibitions include any animal fighting activity that affects interstate or foreign commerce.
    There were dozens of cockfighting arenas in Arizona, Louisiana, Oklahoma, and other states before citizens and state and federal lawmakers cracked down on these activities by passing anti-animal fighting statutes. Some animal fighting occurs in Puerto Rico, Guam and the U.S. Virgin Islands, but the presence of animal fighting spectacles in these U.S. territories is precisely the reason additional federal action is needed.
    This past June, a poll of 1,000 registered voters in Puerto Rico, conducted by Remington Research on behalf of the Humane Society of the United States, revealed that among resident with a definite view of cockfighting, there was a two to one majority favoring a ban on the practice. Dogfighting is a felony in Puerto Rico, Guam, and the U.S. Virgin Islands. **** is the lead disaster responder for animals in Puerto Rico in the wake of Hurricane Maria, and for three years has conducted an extensive program, called Humane Puerto Rico, to help the animals and people of the Commonwealth.
    Wayne Pacelle, president and CEO of The Humane Society of the United States, said: “We shouldn’t have one set of rules against animal cruelty for all 50 states and a different set of rules for U.S. territories. Dogfighting and cockfighting are barbaric practices, more widely criminalized than any other form of animal cruelty in the world, and the prohibitions should apply to every part of the country.”
    Rep. Roskam said: "Cruelty to animals is not a form of entertainment; it's a criminal act that puts both animals and humans at risk and is often associated with other criminal activities. Our treatment of animals is a reflection of who we are and we have a responsibility to treat animals in a humane manner. Strengthening the law against cockfighting and other forms of animal fighting allows us to better protect animals from this type of violence as we move to end the cruelty of animal fighting."
    Rep. Blumenauer, a lead sponsor of several of the prior upgrades in the law, said: “Congress enacted federal animal fighting laws to protect animals from needless cruelty, and communities from associated crimes such as illegal drug dealing and human violence. Animals used for fighting are often drugged to heighten their aggression and forced to keep fighting even after they’ve suffered grievous injuries such as broken bones, deep gashes, punctured lungs and pierced eyes.”
    Rep. Davis said: “The United States has long prohibited animal fighting and this bill simply ensures there is no ambiguity in the law and that it applies to all U.S. territories. In addition to preventing animal cruelty, strengthening the law against cockfighting helps safeguard against the spread of diseases in poultry such as avian flu, since birds used in cockfighting are particularly vulnerable. After a 2002 outbreak of exotic Newcastle disease in the U.S., which cost taxpayers nearly $200 million and the poultry industry many millions more, the USDA implicated cockfighting as a culprit in spreading the disease.”
    Rep. Nolan said: “As a society, we have an obligation to protect those without a voice, including animals who are cruelly forced to fight one another. This legislation affirms and ensures that animal fighting has no place in any jurisdiction within the United States, and it will help safeguard our human communities
    Rep. Cárdenas said: “It has long been the policy of the United States to deter and discourage dogfighting and cockfighting, which are inhumane spectacles of cruelty. With this upgrade of the law, we advance that policy in a consistent way in every part of our nation.”
    Rep. Knight said: “I am proud to be an original cosponsor of this legislation that will help enforce our laws and defend our values. The PACE Act recertifies America’s commitment to the humane treatment of animals. Dogfighting, cockfighting, and other forms of animal cruelty not only subject animals to immense amounts of suffering, but these practices also degrade the moral fabric of our communities. This bill came to fruition after an incident near my district that revealed a massive underground cockfighting ring. Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department displayed incredible professionalism and skill in dismantling this organization. However, it is clear that more action must be taken by Congress to better enforce laws preventing this type of activity. I look forward to working with my colleagues to push forward this bipartisan legislation.”
    Rep. Sherman said: “I have long fought to eradicate dogfighting and cockfighting throughout the United States. Earlier this year, in Los Angeles, law enforcement conducted one of the largest raids ever of a cockfighting stable. We must remain vigilant and strengthen laws against this form of animal cruelty.”
    Rep. Buchanan said: “Stopping animal cruelty and preventing animal fighting should be a bipartisan issue important to all of us. I look forward to working with Congressman Roskam and my colleagues in the House to advance this common-sense measure.”

Media Contact List2

2. Likes lawgreyman14 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: HSU$ Sponsors anti-cockfighting Federal legislation

http://www.humanesociety.org/about/d...s/legislation/

The HSU$ works to advance public policies—including at the state and federal levels—to protect animals from cruelty and abuse.

ACT NOW

NEWS

MORE NEWS »

4. Likes lawgreyman14 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

http://www.humanesociety.org/news/pr...-12142017.html

December 14, 2017
    U.S. Senate unanimously passes bill to prohibit animal cruelty, bestiality

A House companion bill has 262 cosponsors, putting the nation on the cusp of passing its first-ever federal anti-cruelty statute
    Humane Society Legislative Fund
    Media Contact: Anna West: 240-751-2669, awest@humanesociety.org

The U.S. Senate unanimously passed the Preventing Animal Cruelty and Torture (PACT) Act, S. 654, earning praise from The Humane Society of the United States and the he Humane Society Legislative Fund. As the first-ever general federal animal cruelty bill, the PACT Act builds on the federal animal crush video law enacted in 2010, which banned the creation, sale and distribution of obscene videos that show animals being crushed, burned, drowned, suffocated, impaled, or subjected to other forms of heinous cruelty. The PACT Act, led by Sens. Pat Toomey, R-Pa., and Richard Blumenthal, D-Conn., will prohibit those same extreme acts of animal cruelty when they occur in interstate or foreign commerce, regardless of whether a video is produced, and those convicted of such abuse will face federal felony charges, fines and up to seven years in prison. The measure also makes bestiality a federal criminal enterprise.
    The House bill introduced by Reps. Lamar Smith, R-Texas, and Ted Deutch, D-Fla,. has earned bipartisan support with 262 cosponsors. This legislation is also endorsed by more than 200 law enforcement agencies across the country. Few bills in the Congress have this level of bipartisan support.
    Wayne Pacelle, president and CEO of The Humane Society of the United States, said: “It’s past due for the federal government to enact a strong anti-cruelty law, to complement the state laws against malicious mistreatment of animals. We know that there is a correlation between vicious cruelty to animals and violence against humans.”
    Sen. Toomey said: “Animal crushing is absolutely disgusting and there is no place for this behavior in our society. It is long past time this abhorrent practice came to an end and I am glad the Senate once again took the next step towards advancing that goal. I am hopeful that this bipartisan bill will pass the House and finally get enacted into law.”
    Sen. Blumenthal said: “This bipartisan measure finally prohibits a heinous, inhumane practice – stating emphatically once and for all that there is no place in a civilized society for the maiming and torturing of animals. Thanks to the long overdue action of the Senate, the barbaric individuals who commit these crimes will no longer walk free. I call on the House to pass this important legislation immediately.”
    At a time when our nation is divided, opposition to animal cruelty is one of the ideas that unites us. Our nation should have a zero tolerance policy for malicious cruelty, and the PACT Act complements the work of the states in rooting out malicious mistreatment of animals.
    “We are immensely grateful to Senators Toomey and Blumenthal for leading this critical fight,” added Pacelle. “Our nation should have a zero tolerance policy for violence against innocent animals.”

Media Contact List2

6. Likes lawgreyman14 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

8. Likes lawgreyman14 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

10. Likes lawgreyman14 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

HSU$ moved money to several funds in the Cayman Islands include the following “investments:”

• $500,000 to Ascend Partners Fund I, L.P., a Cayman hedge fund
    • $253,000 to BKM Holdings (Cayman) Ltd.
    • $8 million to Fore Multi Strategy Offshore Fund, Ltd., in the Caymans
    • $5 million to Hayman Capital Offshore Partners, L.P. in Bermuda
    • $6.7 million invested in Fir Tree International Value Fund in the Caymans

Given that U.S. Charities are supposed to provide charitable services, while for-profit businesses invest money in hedge funds to make a profit, it is quite dubious that a non-profit charity from the United States would put $26 million in offshore funds in the Cayman Islands other than to stash money.

https://www.animalbliss.com/humane-s...ating-revoked/

12. Thanks MarshButcher thanked for this post
    Likes lawgreyman14 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Crooked police abuse power and shut down Cockfighting ring in California

California authorities seized about 7,000 birds this week in what they said was the largest raid of illegal cockfighting in U.S. history.
    The animals were recovered from an alleged cockfighting operation after a months-long investigation that culminated in a raid on Monday at a remote property in northern Los Angeles County, authorities said at a press conference on Tuesday.
    “This, according to the experts here, is the largest seizure in U.S. history of illegal cockfighting roosters,” Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department Capt. Jeff Perry said at the press conference.
    Big story coming out of Southern California today, as the police took on the largest raid of illegal cockfighting in U.S. history. Its interesting that the article clarified that it was illegal cockfighting. Makes you think, is there legal cockfighting? Because I want in. The closest thing I’ve done in regards to cockfighting is crossing swords with my roommates while taking a piss. And while that’s a great time, I want more. I’ve mastered that game. I’m a hall of famer. First ballot. Who do I have to get in contact with to get my foot in the cockfighting door? Is there a Facebook page?
    I get how some people might think this is animal cruelty, but I honestly don’t think it is. Have you ever seen a chicken? Nothing special. Chickens are basically turkeys on heroin. If you were to anthropomorphize (word of the day) chickens, they would be the trashy girl on your Facebook who keeps sharing articles on how addiction is a disease, and how she’s proving all the bitches from high school wrong by finishing her GED 5 years later and enrolling in beauty school. Chickens would be the ones selling you flowers on Mass Ave, while you try your best not to make eye contact with them and lock your doors while trying to not make it obvious. How is this cruel, but we have no problem putting chicken fetuses in our breakfast sandwiches? I wish some breakfast place had the balls to rebrand their eggs as chicken fetuses. Would love to hear people order like “hi can I have a sausage, chicken fetus, and cheese on an everything bagel?” Waitresses have to ask if you want your chicken fetus scrambled or fried. Classic family dining.
    Honestly if I were a chicken this is how I would want to go out. As a chicken, you know your only purpose is to be murdered, so why not make it interesting. It puts fate in their own hands. It gives the chickens a choice between life and death, as compared to immediately getting turned into McChickens. Its like Gladiator meets Charlotte’s Web. Fight Club meets Chicken Little.
    Lastly, I feel like the term “cockfighting” has different connotations depending on the regions. If you’re in Northern LA and get invited to a cockfighting event, then your probably gambling on some fighting chickens. You go up north a little bit to San Francisco though its a whole different ball game (no pun intended). Its important to keep that in the back of your head. Cockfighting is a spectrum. If you ever get invited, just remember where you are. If you see a lot of nice gardens and cafes, you might want to pass. If you see a suspicious amount of pimped out Honda Civics and pitbulls, then you in for a good night. The more you know.

https://thoughtsfromatwinbed.com/201...in-california/
    Advertisements