Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Something I never got about keeps

Post Thanks / Like

Something I never got about keeps

I have tried a fair amount of keeps each with different success. Now the one thing I don't get about some of them is when they say to not feed or water starting Thursday when the meet is On Saturday. So this means if you go in Sat. At noon your bird hasn't ate of drank for maybe 30 to 40 hours depending on his last feeding. I have tried this and I will say this about it: EVERY single time I did this I got my a$$ handed to me! They were slow not real alert and seemed weak as heck. I actually had my best luck feeding a little before I left the morning of a meet and I NEVER take away their water NEVER. I never got why anyone wants dehydrated Cocks it simply makes no sense to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Something I never got about keeps

Quote Originally Posted by MAD MAX View Post
    I have tried a fair amount of keeps each with different success. Now the one thing I don't get about some of them is when they say to not feed or water starting Thursday when the meet is On Saturday. So this means if you go in Sat. At noon your bird hasn't ate of drank for maybe 30 to 40 hours depending on his last feeding. I have tried this and I will say this about it: EVERY single time I did this I got my a$$ handed to me! They were slow not real alert and seemed weak as heck. I actually had my best luck feeding a little before I left the morning of a meet and I NEVER take away their water NEVER. I never got why anyone wants dehydrated Cocks it simply makes no sense to me.
    I dont ever take their water away except for when they get blacked out on friday and ill offer then drinks throughout the day when I drop them out. If they take more than a dip or two on friday I kick them out. They wont be wanting water if they are right

Post Thanks / Like

Well, for future reference!! If it makes no sense, don't do it!! You knew better but still did it???

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know about withholding feed from them but even tho I start limiting their water on THU for SAT shows there are times when I still feel they're wetter than I'd like on SAT AM.

5. Likes KevinG, lawgreyman14, don128 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Most keeps do tell you to withhold there water last two or three days. Most mean to keep them to two or three pecks per feeding. One thing I can tell you is if you have your birds coming on at the end they will without you, stop drinking water. One or two pecks is all they will want, weather you leave the water bowl in front of them or not. If you have birds up and you have one or two that take water in in excess of that he is not right and I would leave him out till next go around.
    Now this will have to be adjusted to the particular feeding method you choose.

Post Thanks / Like

One thing I have noticed is the last 3 days when you are cutting their feed it helps to wait about 20 or 30 minutes after feeding to offer the water.Any earlier lots of birds will just drink or peck at the water out of habit because they are so hungry.They aren't thirsty just hungry.Just my opinion..

Post Thanks / Like

The object of a keep is to bring your bird to the show with a happy medium of the following: lightest possible weight, strongest possible weight, empty or nearly empty and perfect normal moisture. Not dry or wet. I think about 24 hrs is as long as I'd go with out a tiny peck of something. Then just keep it up every 2 hrs. until the show is over. And I'd agree that if they want water leave them home.

Post Thanks / Like

I never take away their water except for when they're blacked out the last day and a half, still offer and allow 5 dips if they want it. Day before they shouldn't and usually don't want any. I start cutting feed thursday but gonna start cutting on Wednesday from now on I think.

10. Likes roostercm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Has anybody gave a peck of orange before the pit? My friends dad Use to do it right before he put on the heels when legal of course

12. Likes roostercm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by airjammer88 View Post
    Has anybody gave a peck of orange before the pit? My friends dad Use to do it right before he put on the heels when legal of course
    I never give them orange to peck at but use to pour a little beer in my hand and let them have a bite or dip. Wash their head and feet and bing bang bomb, another quick win. Well most of the time anyway.

14. Thanks KevinG thanked for this post
    Likes nem76, roostercm, airjammer88 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the percentage of guys using the keeps they sell might shed light on this topic ... And the percentage of winners that write keeps ... Even more .

16. Likes KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LaBlue View Post
    I never give them orange to peck at but use to pour a little beer in my hand and let them have a bite or dip. Wash their head and feet and bing bang bomb, another quick win. Well most of the time anyway.
    Another testament that Beers and Mugs are just like Peanut Butter and Jelly. Did you do this ritual after heeling and just before entering the pit?

18. Likes gaff, knox01 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gavilancillo View Post
    Most keeps do tell you to withhold there water last two or three days. Most mean to keep them to two or three pecks per feeding. One thing I can tell you is if you have your birds coming on at the end they will without you, stop drinking water. One or two pecks is all they will want, weather you leave the water bowl in front of them or not. If you have birds up and you have one or two that take water in in excess of that he is not right and I would leave him out till next go around.
    Now this will have to be adjusted to the particular feeding method you choose.
    This is how I remember it (back when it was legal)...if your bird wants more than a dip or 2 of water the day before...don't even take him...also, if you needed to give your bird anything during the keep that is a shot or pill then you don't know how to bring a bird on point naturally...with increased rest, increased carbohydrates & decreased water consumption (which will happen at the end naturally because he won't want any water) he will come on point...if you do it right, the bird's feet will be tucked up when you take him out of the rest stall...his head will be twitching & snapping. When you hold him in your hands, it should feel like all the muscles in his body are twitching...like a coiled spring...but, what do I know, I only have had gamefowl for 48 years...
    Last edited by Bend the knee; February 10th, 2018 at 07:39 AM.

20. Thanks summit, KevinG, lucanusgf thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Better off giving them a few pecks of apple but, we all do things different... I use to prefer darkening them out just for 2 days 3 seem to much for me as for water or half & half ect. Those are the days you adjust their moisture. Drinking too much, bottom of their feet warm not good signs.

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk

22. Likes KevinG, roostercm, Skincarver liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've had old timers tell me a few pecks of orange will help dry them up if to set but I've never tried it myself.

24. Thanks southernX thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by INCUBUS06 View Post
    Better off giving them a few pecks of apple but, we all do things different... I use to prefer darkening them out just for 2 days 3 seem to much for me as for water or half & half ect. Those are the days you adjust their moisture. Drinking too much, bottom of their feet warm not good signs.

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk
    I agree, 3 days is too many...I use to darken 1/2 a day 2 days before & all day the day before...when I was young, there were older guys that would give them some coke (soda)...which was in line with the thinking of that day about caffeine pills (we never used them)...I have given small apple pieces or small pieces egg white...to hold them from going over.

26. Likes Al Sanchez, KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This has always worked for I. Saturday show Wednesday is half there feed of fresh cracked corn and egg whites. Thursday is a heaping tablespoonful if same feed. Friday is a teaspoonful of the same. Then I would just watch their dropping’s Friday night through Saturday

28. Likes pigiron-kelso, country, LaBlue liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ive used a peck of orange a time or two if I already had one and had let them get to wet. Dries them up quick.I wouldn't go out and buy oranges just for that purpose. Your friends dad possibly used it for a natural sugar rush if I were betting.

Post Thanks / Like

I have always left water infront of them till the day before the show. And offered them a dip in the early morning before boxing them up to the show. Usally there not interested in it. When I get to the show the only thing I use is Apple. I like to offer a peck every hr or so until they are called up.

31. Likes Old Warwick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I believe it takes the rooster about seven hours to digest the feed. A friend of mine followed The Coach keep and did not feed the last 36 hours, oh boy his rooster was so hungry it ate an orange colored syringe cap on the ground. I would say feed the rooster one teaspoon soaked crack corn in the morning for saturday evening show.

33. Likes KevinG, Skincarver liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Camarines View Post
    I believe it takes the rooster about seven hours to digest the feed. A friend of mine followed The Coach keep and did not feed the last 36 hours, oh boy his rooster was so hungry it ate an orange colored syringe cap on the ground. I would say feed the rooster one teaspoon soaked crack corn in the morning for saturday evening show.
    Tried that myself once on one I was gonna hack many moons ago , going by that 36 hr Coach Keep .Worked good one time , guess he was holding his feed lol. Next time I tried it my rooster was so sick and weak he couldn't bust a grape. Later I got to where I always started dropping them a few days early and treated them all as individuals.If I had one coming on a little early I give a bit more feed if one wasn't coming on soon enough I would cut back a little feed.Point was to try and get them coming on around the same time.Then I would stick to the 12 to 24 hours depending on how quick they were throwing.Thats just how I use to do things, everybody has their own ways.I had one eat a whole cigarette once.Dropped it and fell in the drop out pen, it was gone before I could pic it up LMAO.

35. Thanks KevinG thanked for this post
    Likes KevinG, Camarines liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

All pro athletes and fighters warm up and get loose ... A tight bird feels good and will fight hard but a relaxed one will win more .

If you don't give them water , nobody can accuse you of having them off ...

37. Likes turbo_harpoon, Noshow liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

BRK bigger window ,,,,,,,but then like anything there there’s a few ways to get there,,,,

Post Thanks / Like

I know a guy that only gives them tomatoes sauce the last 3 days works for him you've got to have good breed really game roosters for that cause they will truly be all the way empty you'd be surprised how many people think a rooster is empty and there not

Post Thanks / Like

A keep is NOTHING if you don't know how to feel and adjust! There is no way you can follow any keep and think ok good to go. That's what divides the ones that know and the majority!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by macraess View Post
    A keep is NOTHING if you don't know how to feel and adjust! There is no way you can follow any keep and think ok good to go. That's what divides the ones that know and the majority!
    yes i know what when legal my brother was a much better feeder than i was he knew the birds inside and out as he worked from home every day there were many older guys at the pits that called him spoon man as when we would drop them out he had a big kitchen ladel he feed from daily and wuold not leave it at home and would peck them as each needed different pecks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MAD MAX View Post
    I don’t take the water away either i feed the last 3 days and alittle fight day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

43. Thanks Spursaw thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My Grandfather used to let them have a peck of orang after heeling.

45. Thanks Spursaw thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just my two cents - You can't get enough moisture in a rooster to suit me - Well Rested, Relaxed and Satisfied!! You already have roosters in shape with excellent good health before you put them into that last two weeks of a keep - last two weeks are like him going on a wonderful bird vacation, you have two weeks to get him not to have a want or care in the world those last three days and then you know what you're doing, BEST WISHES - BRK.

47. Likes lawgreyman14 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brownred kelso View Post
    Just my two cents - You can't get enough moisture in a rooster to suit me - Well Rested, Relaxed and Satisfied!! You already have roosters in shape with excellent good health before you put them into that last two weeks of a keep - last two weeks are like him going on a wonderful bird vacation, you have two weeks to get him not to have a want or care in the world those last three days and then you know what you're doing, BEST WISHES - BRK.
    Thank you for your contribution BRK it's been a while since you posted. We all enjoy your post . So thank you.

49. Likes lawgreyman14 liked this post