Thread: Feed mix

Post Thanks / Like

Feed mix

I had posted awhile back that i am trying to get my yard feed percentages correct. Heres what I came up with, 4 parts 16% layer, 4 parts red wheat, 4 parts whole corn, 3 pigeon grain 13%, 2 calf manna, 1 30% diamond puppy food, 1 black oil sunflower. With this mix i have 14.7 protien if i figured correctly.
    I have whole oat groats and popcorn on order and will add those but unsure of amounts.
    When i feed i give 3oz of above base feed, a heaping teaspoon of soaked oats, and a tsp of whole hard boiled eggs.
    For supplements i put 10ml of poultry cell in soaked oats twice a week. I also give same amount of redcell once a week.
    On days they dont get either i add roughly 5ml of liquid b-12. I also give fresh vegetables 2-3 times a week, cabbage, carrots, leafy greens. Another thing i do is mix vitall in water twice a week.
    I feel this feed and supps is far from perfect so i am asking for anyone with knowledge to give some advice on tweaking this feed.
    My goal is to get protein, fat, carbs, and calories in the correct portions and also get all needed minerals and vitamins.
    I have done a lot of research however you go around in circles as every time i think i have it, i read something that contradicts previous info.
    I am hoping we can have a more technical debate/knowledge from this post.
    Some questions i have is how many calories is optimal per day per bird "if i am not mistaken i believe its 230 cal per day"? How much plant based protien vs meat based, are all fats equal? Best sources for vitams and minerals?
    There is a lot of info out there just not a lot of quality info "that i have found".
    I know there are gentleman out there that have this down and know the breakdown of amounts and sources of ea feedstuffs. I humbly ask for you to share ur experience and knowledge. Thank u in advance

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Feed mix

I'm done with sunflower seed unless it's the heart , birds don't eat the shell and you can't tell the difference .. Same with peas . Chickens need carbs , protein and fat but the protein and fat need to come from something besides grains .... That's why big commercial farms that mix their own use fish meal .

3. Likes Camarines liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I am debating on using fish pellets in place of puppy food as i have read they digest it better. Using hearts makes sense, not sure if there is a benefit to feeding shells? I know for some fruits and vegetables the peelings contain certain vit and minerals that the fruit its self has little. I dont think sunflower belongs in that category but research will be done. Lol
    I really want to optimize my feed and understand what ea ingredient offers and if there is a better substitute.
    Wondering if anyone has links to any studies for gamefowl nutrition?
    I know there is a vast amount of research and answers to my questions above in the Philippines. I have found some with charts and breakdowns however if you dont speak the language is does you no good.
    Hoping some of those gentleman will contribute here as well.
    I feel with some indepth posts could really help all of us

Post Thanks / Like

I feed about 10% black oil sunflower seeds in my yard mix and I can see the feathers get the shine. Sunflower hearts are good in moderation for a keep I used them long ago. Don't go overboard on the hearts as they are 48% fat. I too am thinking of checking the local feed mill for fish meal. We have the Asian carp problem wonder if they would be good for the roosters when they are 1-2" long?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Geturfactstr8 View Post
    I had posted awhile back that i am trying to get my yard feed percentages correct. Heres what I came up with, 4 parts 16% layer, 4 parts red wheat, 4 parts whole corn, 3 pigeon grain 13%, 2 calf manna, 1 30% diamond puppy food, 1 black oil sunflower. With this mix i have 14.7 protien if i figured correctly.
    I have whole oat groats and popcorn on order and will add those but unsure of amounts.
    When i feed i give 3oz of above base feed, a heaping teaspoon of soaked oats, and a tsp of whole hard boiled eggs.
    For supplements i put 10ml of poultry cell in soaked oats twice a week. I also give same amount of redcell once a week.
    On days they dont get either i add roughly 5ml of liquid b-12. I also give fresh vegetables 2-3 times a week, cabbage, carrots, leafy greens. Another thing i do is mix vitall in water twice a week.
    I feel this feed and supps is far from perfect so i am asking for anyone with knowledge to give some advice on tweaking this feed.
    My goal is to get protein, fat, carbs, and calories in the correct portions and also get all needed minerals and vitamins.
    I have done a lot of research however you go around in circles as every time i think i have it, i read something that contradicts previous info.
    I am hoping we can have a more technical debate/knowledge from this post.
    Some questions i have is how many calories is optimal per day per bird "if i am not mistaken i believe its 230 cal per day"? How much plant based protien vs meat based, are all fats equal? Best sources for vitams and minerals?
    There is a lot of info out there just not a lot of quality info "that i have found".
    I know there are gentleman out there that have this down and know the breakdown of amounts and sources of ea feedstuffs. I humbly ask for you to share ur experience and knowledge. Thank u in advance
    I've been feeding fowl along time. Your fowl will do very good with that mix. I didn't do any calculating but believe your protein Annalise's is a little low.

Post Thanks / Like

Yard feed is kinda like keeps,almost everyone has a different method.I think you can over do it when it comes to yard feed.Back when legal my partner and I went to the late Oscar Akins'[R.I.P.] farm and picked up 25 stags to moult out and take to Sunset for the 10 cock derby in March.Oscar was barred at the time.My partner made special tie cords 4 foot long and put all 25 of them on the cords.He fed them every vitamin and supplement imaginable.It was racing pidgeon grain,soaked oats,sardines,fruit,etc.They were the most beautiful Hatch Cocks you would ever want to look at.When we got to the show I saw one of my favorite roostermen ever in John Moore.We set the roosters out and if it would have been a beauty contest we would have been near the top.John felt of about 5 or 6 of them and told me they were a half pound over weight.My partner said he was [full of BS].LOL.John said you can't give up a pound of weight at Sunset son.We win about half our fights,just drawed lucky or it would have been much worse.Took what was left to my house and put them on corn,oats,and 16 percent layer pellets until July.We win 2 big shows with those fowl after loosing the best ones at Sunset in March.Some of the winners were 10 to 12 ounces lighter in July.I think sometimes we tend to over do things while trying to give our fowl the advantage.Just my experience..
    Last edited by river city reds; February 12th, 2018 at 08:13 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I like and agree with that post. I think a cock showed at Jan. 1 that weighed 5-10 will weigh 5-7 or less in June or July. And when I say less it could be 8-10 oz. in cold weather you can get away with a few extra oz.s . Not so when it gets hot.

9. Likes Stringer3, gapman, roostercm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by river city reds View Post
    Yard feed is kinda like keeps,almost everyone has a different method.I think you can over do it when it comes to yard feed.Back when legal my partner and I went to the late Oscar Akins'[R.I.P.] farm and picked up 25 stags to moult out and take to Sunset for the 10 cock derby in March.Oscar was barred at the time.My partner made special tie cords 4 foot long and put all 25 of them on the cords.He fed them every vitamin and supplement imaginable.It was racing pidgeon grain,soaked oats,sardines,fruit,etc.They were the most beautiful Hatch Cocks you would ever want to look at.When we got to the show I saw one of my favorite roostermen ever in John Moore.We set the roosters out and if it would have been a beauty contest we would have been near the top.John felt of about 5 or 6 of them and told me they were a half pound over weight.My partner said he was [full of BS].LOL.John said you can't give up a pound of weight at Sunset son.We win about half our fights,just drawed lucky or it would have been much worse.Took what was left to my house and put them on corn,oats,and 16 percent layer pellets until July.We win 2 big shows with those fowl after loosing the best ones at Sunset in March.Some of the winners were 10 to 12 ounces lighter in July.I think sometimes we tend to over do things while trying to give our fowl the advantage.Just my experience..
    I completely agree as i feel over feeding is a big problem. That is why i am looking into calorie intake and trying to get the most out of the 3oz i feed.
    The way i am looking at is a simple yard feed is good but what i would like to attempt to dig a little deeper and pack as much nutritional value in the 3oz of feed. I Dont want to put unnecessary weight, fat,or muscle on them but the necessary amounts of the right stuff. I hope that makes sense because I am not one of those that gives every supplement under the sun or magic pills to my fowl.
    Take people for example if you are an every day joe you can eat your 3 meals a day with meat and potatoes and be fine. However if you are a professional athlete you are not going to get the performance from your body needed eating like that.
    I dont know maybe overthinking it. Lol

Post Thanks / Like

I completely agree as i feel over feeding is a big problem. That is why i am looking into calorie intake and trying to get the most out of the 3oz i feed.
    The way i am looking at is a simple yard feed is good but what i would like to attempt to dig a little deeper and pack as much nutritional value in the 3oz of feed. I Dont want to put unnecessary weight, fat,or muscle on them but the necessary amounts of the right stuff. I hope that makes sense because I am not one of those that gives every supplement under the sun or magic pills to my fowl.
    Take people for example if you are an every day joe you can eat your 3 meals a day with meat and potatoes and be fine. However if you are a professional athlete you are not going to get the performance from your body needed eating like that.
    I dont know maybe overthinking it. Lol
    I don’t want to say your over thinking it? But Maybe look in to what the old timers feed there fowl. the ones that where l winning kelso,duke,harold brown,Phil marsh etc. it isn’t just about feed you have to have the right chickens.. life is to short to have average fowl!! If you have the best fowl you can get your hands on and feed like the ones above I mentioned I don’t see why u wouldn’t be successful imo. That’s what I am going to do when I get my game fowl again. Yfis

12. Thanks LaBlue thanked for this post
    Likes Camarines, Thunderbirds liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I feel i have the best i could ask for honestly. As far as feeding like they used to, there have been so many advancements in feed, i feel like u would be going backwards. Not saying they weren't excellent feeders and feeds in there time but i feel like some of the things people use to feed are not the same today. Hope i am not offending anyone as that is not what i am trying to do. There were keeps from back in the day that were great then but not now. Why? Because everyone "for the most part" believed in feed that was the status quo back then.
    Same thing with people today, athletes diets are completely different due to advancements in the understanding of nutrition. How to eat, what to eat, when to eat, how much to eat has changed completely. I am not trying to reinvent the wheel just get a better understanding of gamecock nutrition.
    Again i am not saying anyone is or was a good or bad feeder, i am just trying to do my best to give my fowl what they need and have a little understanding on why

Post Thanks / Like

Want to add that the feed i am currently feeding has giving me heathy fowl and none are fat or skinny. So as far as that goes i like what i am presently feeding just want to make sure i cant do better. If better can be had i want it but i also want a better understanding of why. I have literally researched for hundred of hours but i like a heathy debate or wisdom from those that know.

Post Thanks / Like

I know that I’m a beginner and my advice doesn’t seem that great. but I have common sense and made a career of it and done pretty good for myself. Do you think you could win a main against kelso, duke, marsh. Cause you are in 2018 and your birds are better cause of it?

Post Thanks / Like

Never said that nor did i say u were wrong. I am not going to offend anyone or there methods period. My intention is to gain knowledge and thats it. You may want to reread my post

Post Thanks / Like

I get eveyone has there own way of doing things and that is definitely ok its one of the things i like about this sport, it is not cookie cutter. My way of doing things is taking what the people before have done learn from it and see if it can be improved upon. I am not going to feed a certain way because someone did 100 years ago. If u do and it works for you then good for you.

Post Thanks / Like

Want to add that the feed i am currently feeding has giving me heathy fowl and none are fat or skinny. So as far as that goes i like what i am presently feeding just want to make sure i cant do better. If better can be had i want it but i also want a better understanding of why. I have literally researched for hundred of hours but i like a heathy debate or wisdom from those that know.
    I apreciate that you are striving to do better. I am glad your fowl are not starving and are not obese lol. I hope you get wisdom from those that know. Yfis

Post Thanks / Like

Feed everyday. Feed not too much. Fresh water.
    Corn, grains and pellets.

Warriors need to be lean and strong. Not fat and overweight.

They also need exercise. Lol

table exercise. I sill believe in them.

In LK. One false move and extra pecks makes a lot of difference.

My own cents.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree lean and strong is how you want them. Mine are all in good flesh nice red heads and knots under there eyes. I have bigger pens for brood fowl 10 x10 houses a pair as i single mate. I rotate yard pens often and the go from cords to 5x8 and back. I like where they are at now just looking to improve it. Information is what i seek the most. I have feed this way for over 10 years but i read some articles and it made me take a different look at things. People say if ur doing good keep doing what ur doing, but why? If you can do great good isnt good enough. Anyway I think i will just experiment on a select number of birds and go with results. Thought maybe I could get some good nutritional break down or the similar. Anyway thanks for the replies
    Last edited by Geturfactstr8; February 12th, 2018 at 12:07 PM.

21. Likes grey/dom liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have 3 different mentors in gamefowls. My father. My uncle in law and my Godfather.

3 diffrent styles. All winners. One time. I observed my father feeding his warriors with coconut grates (sapal ng
    niyog) i witnessed that cock win 7x in hacks. My father never fights in derby but his fowls were used in derby by his friends. Uses table works

My uncle in law owns a pit. Fights every derby first class feeds. But sometimes fights my fathers roosters in his derby. Uses rotation and some table
    works

My Godfather is a mixed of both. Feeding and fighting. Uses rotation method. And some table works

me. A mix of all. Uses a lot of tableworks and some rotations

all 4 of us. I am the lowest of winning percentage in our lifetime.

But i still believed in me. I still won more than losing in this hobby of mine.

23. Likes Geturfactstr8 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I see ur point, thank you sir.
    That is a quite the history you have, it is something to be treasured

Post Thanks / Like

The oat groats are pricey , but worth it ... if you feed stags on them you will notice a difference in how lively their flesh is without it putting weight in their guts . Another thing you can judge a feed but is how it feels in your hands is about how it feels in your fowl ... if a big handful or mostly whole grains feels heavy , so will your fowl ... if a big handful has more sunflower seeds and dry oats to lighten it up , your fowl will be light too .

I've tried all the calf manna , super spur and boost-em ... you just can't seem to see that it does them as good as the label reads . Just something about them isn't as palatable to fowl as it is to cows or goats , that's why alot of guys use horse feed ... horses have similar amino acid needs and some have added digestive aids to make it really effecient .. Bil Jac even makes a dry dog food that looks like laying pellets that works really well.

26. Likes Skincarver liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There was a time I fed a yard feed mix that had everything in it, from oat groats to calf manna. It was better than most people's keep feed. I felt like if it was good for them in the keep, it should be even better year around. The roosters looked and felt great. Good bodies but no fat in them and strawberry heads. I gave some cocks to Johnny Stansell to feed out for me. I believe he is one of the most knowledgeable rooster man and feeder around. He told me first thing that I need to cut back a little on what I was feeding as the cocks was already at their peak and he had nowhere to go with them in the keep. We ended up winning the derby, but he said I could even do better and have an easier time getting them to come on point if I didn't feed such a high quality yard mix year around and save some money at the same time. I took his advice and now just feed a basic yard mix of 22% pellets, a good high quality scratch, and a little dog food high in animal protein. Cocks still feel good, stay in good weight, save a lot of money on feed, and I can still get the bounce up when put on keep feed with all the extras.

28. Thanks river city reds thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by springwater View Post
    There was a time I fed a yard feed mix that had everything in it, from oat groats to calf manna. It was better than most people's keep feed. I felt like if it was good for them in the keep, it should be even better year around. The roosters looked and felt great. Good bodies but no fat in them and strawberry heads. I gave some cocks to Johnny Stansell to feed out for me. I believe he is one of the most knowledgeable rooster man and feeder around. He told me first thing that I need to cut back a little on what I was feeding as the cocks was already at their peak and he had nowhere to go with them in the keep. We ended up winning the derby, but he said I could even do better and have an easier time getting them to come on point if I didn't feed such a high quality yard mix year around and save some money at the same time. I took his advice and now just feed a basic yard mix of 22% pellets, a good high quality scratch, and a little dog food high in animal protein. Cocks still feel good, stay in good weight, save a lot of money on feed, and I can still get the bounce up when put on keep feed with all the extras.
    That makes sense, I did not think about it that way.
    How do you/others feel about my yard feed i mentioned above? Maybe i will just stick to it as i have had good results. I will add oat groats and popcorn then cut back on soaked oats and whole corn.
    Instead of feed soaked oats everyday i will feed everyother and instead of 4 parts whole corn, i will do 2 parts whole corn and 2 parts popcorn. Thoughts?
    One problem i have around here is there is no quality scratch grains or and type of premix at all.
    What are thoughts on adding cod liver oil? I add fish oil pills, just cut the top and add 1/3 of the contents per bird 1 to 2 times a week. I have noticed a significant difference in their feathers, they almost look wet. I have read though that fats can block nutrients if given to much.
    Feeding up north here is also a challenge as this winter we had weeks were the temp was 10 below or colder.

Post Thanks / Like

This is probably one of the most informative things ever put on this sight in my opinion. I learned it the hard way

31. Likes river city reds, Camarines liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I couldn't agree more with your post springwater.I too believe Johnny Stansell to be an excellent all around roosterman.Oscar told me one time at mid America that Johnny was also an excellent [Jockey] referring to his pitting.Some people can take your basic feed mix and keep their fowl in better shape than the ones that feed a very expensive yard mix.They treat every rooster as an individual and feed him accordingly.A 4-6 don't need as much feed as a 5-12.Like people they are all different.Great post springwater.

33. Likes Skincarver, TopNotchfarms liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The green grass has all the nutrients ur gamefowls needs. So if no grasses at all. Sometimes we feed alfalfa pellets
    i rather feed that than calf mana. I have some secrets. And its the soup in the kitchen. Not chicken soup. Lol

Post Thanks / Like

Anybody feed twice a day ? I mostly feed once a day but in the coldest parts of winter some weeks Ill feed twice.

Post Thanks / Like

I feed twice a day and like the results. In the past i have feed once a day but i feel they stay more active feeding twice.
    What i like to do when it is cold out is feed them 1/3 of there daily feed in the morning and 2/3 about an hr before they roost.
    I had some days this winter when, with wind chill it was 30 below. I have not lost any, I think they stay more active in the day because they are looking for food and scratching. At night they will stay warm with food in them.

37. Likes Skincarver liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by grey/dom View Post
    The green grass has all the nutrients ur gamefowls needs. So if no grasses at all. Sometimes we feed alfalfa pellets
    i rather feed that than calf mana. I have some secrets. And its the soup in the kitchen. Not chicken soup. Lol
    I like keeping them on grass, i seed the yard with different types of grasses in spring and right before fall. In winter we have snow so alfalfa is what they get.