Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pick up and go

Post Thanks / Like

Pick up and go

Ok guys if you could pick up and go anywhere you wanted to setup your new farm where would it be and why. Or would you stay where your currently at ? where and why is that

2. Likes BackNBlack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pick up and go

Well that's very easy, I should go straight away to peurtorico. Because this is the only place on Earth with the perfect gamefowl. Iff you like to pick the holy Grail peurto Rico is the place to be. On the 2e place I have New York

4. Likes El_Gavilancillo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by White thai View Post
    Well that's very easy, I should go straight away to peurtorico. Because this is the only place on Earth with the perfect gamefowl. Iff you like to pick the holy Grail peurto Rico is the place to be. On the 2e place I have New York
    Puerto Rico for I too Next Kentucky.

6. Likes lawgreyman14, El_Gavilancillo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BostonMurphy View Post
    Kentucky next door the kfc factory

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BostonMurphy View Post
    Kentucky next door the kfc factory

9. Likes El_Gavilancillo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If what you're after is being able to enjoy your game fowls 24/7 and most importantly, the sport itself...I would have to say the Philippines. There are foreign (mainly Americans) cockers/breeders who have decided to move here and some of them can actually attest to the fact that there are a lot of obvious advantages. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Philippines can now be considered as the cockfighting capital of the world. Whether it be for the reason of going commercial (large market and still growing...)or just to enjoy this hobby/sport, either way, it would be a lot more feasible.

Post Thanks / Like

I've always though of the Philippines.

12. Likes El_Gavilancillo, 1min.shuffle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tonetone559 View Post
    I've always though of the Philippines.
    Yes sir, possibly the only place where everything about game fowls are legal and is actually supported by most local laws and ordinances. Another advantage is that the availability of commercially produced game fowl feeds, supplements, vaccines, equipment...etc. I actually don't need to mention that there are hectares and hectares of land that is just suitable for breeding and rearing fowls from far north to down south.

14. Likes tonetone559, El_Gavilancillo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There is no substitute for [environment] when breeding and raising gamefowl.While I love the Philippines and it's people,the healthiest fowl in the world are bred in the good ole U.S.A.While the PI is the perfect testing ground the US is the perfect breeding ground.We are lucky to have 4 distinct seasons and where fowl can enjoy their natural [cycle] of life.We also enjoy the most fertile,and rich soil.The PI on the other hand is a tropical environment where it never gets cold enough to kill diseases' and insects,etc.The best all around gamefowl are bred and produced in the Southeast U.S.It's not because we have better fowl,it's because we have better conditions.This is only my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the input guys. All good opions, now let’s say for my given situation it would have to be somewhere in the USA.
    I know some of the best fowl come out of The North/Estern states. I know Alabama would be an obvious choice Luisiana,Oklahoma. Just to name a few. There’s many others I’m sure. So let’s keep this discussion going and see what else pops up. Also let’s not forget about why you choose the location you pick. Thanks guys

17. Likes chester liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In my opinion Louisiana is too much like the PI in that you are always dealing with hot and humid conditions.A very smart Filipino breeder told me that [mud] is one of the worst conditions for gamefowl and I couldn't agree more.In my opinion the farther west you go the dry and extreme heat is not ideal conditions to breed and raise fowl.The 4 states I believe to be the best environment for gamefowl are Alabama,Tennessee,Mississippi,and Kentucky.My next choice would be the Carolina's.While they are great breeders and great fowl in every state and in every country the overall process from shell to show is more natural for fowl in these 4 states.Back when the sport was legal it was very clear that the money seemed to make it's way to these states.Just my opinion and nothing more.

Post Thanks / Like

I have visited more farms then i can count and i gave always liked Tennessee. The environment seems to be perfect, great ground, and great people. The other states mentioned above are all a good choice but i really like Tennessee

Post Thanks / Like

I like the above states also but GEORGIA has to be in there also

21. Likes lawgreyman14, river city reds liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by roostercm View Post
    I was curious about Georgia as well. Any input on this state ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gavilancillo View Post
    I was curious about Georgia as well. Any input on this state ?
    Yeah we have great soil and weather also available here and some great cockers have had their run in the big leagues when legal so we are as good as Alabama and Tennessee and the Carolinas they all boarder us we have flat sandy and heat in the south up north we have hills and cool air and snow in the middle where I live we get it all JMHO

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Well for warmer weather i would say the Philippines for the laws. Hawaii is a thought also even still stiff laws. Others would be Alabama or Kentucky. Just my opinion hope i don't ruffle no feathers by this statemnet but i feel out of the two alabama probably has the toughest birds and chickenmen and kentucky is up their also. But i feel alabama is the honey hole for toughest competition and i would want to be right in the middle of it to test mine. Not to say their isn't exceptional fowl and breeders anywhere else cuz I'm sure their are. Funny thing is I'm right in between them being in Tennessee lol. Me being halfway in between both has to mean i atleast got halfway decent fowl doesn't it lol!
    Last edited by Webby13; March 3rd, 2018 at 07:36 AM.

25. Likes El_Gavilancillo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

But at the end of the day i probably wouldn't trade good ole rocky top for any of it as I'm sure the rest of y'all wouldn't trade away y'alls spots either when push came to shove.
    Last edited by Webby13; March 3rd, 2018 at 08:14 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by river city reds View Post
    In my opinion Louisiana is too much like the PI in that you are always dealing with hot and humid conditions.A very smart Filipino breeder told me that [mud] is one of the worst conditions for gamefowl and I couldn't agree more.In my opinion the farther west you go the dry and extreme heat is not ideal conditions to breed and raise fowl.The 4 states I believe to be the best environment for gamefowl are Alabama,Tennessee,Mississippi,and Kentucky.My next choice would be the Carolina's.While they are great breeders and great fowl in every state and in every country the overall process from shell to show is more natural for fowl in these 4 states.Back when the sport was legal it was very clear that the money seemed to make it's way to these states.Just my opinion and nothing more.
    Idk about the whole state of Louisiana but when i was at Dels the one thing I noticed was how great his soil was. Sandy and loamy. It rained several days before i was there and quit about 30 minutes after i arrived and we were out in the yard walking around for a couple hours like itd never sprinkled other than a soft spot here or there. Helps alot also his yard is sloped. Lot of big big shade trees. I live in the san bois mtns in SE OK and have a nice sloping yard with big shade trees but the ground isn't the greatest as far as drainage goes after those multi day long rains. We have about 6-8 inches of top soil and red clay under that so even on a sloped yard it stays wet longer. Dont seem to affect the gamefowl all that much though as far as devolopment goes. Im sure everyone thinks where they are from or where they have strong ties to is the best and id say thats probably right because there are good cocks and good cockers everywhere but what does it matter if your not one of them?????

28. Thanks LaBlue thanked for this post
    Likes LaBlue, Webby13 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JLF2.0 View Post
    Idk about the whole state of Louisiana but when i was at Dels the one thing I noticed was how great his soil was. Sandy and loamy. It rained several days before i was there and quit about 30 minutes after i arrived and we were out in the yard walking around for a couple hours like itd never sprinkled other than a soft spot here or there. Helps alot also his yard is sloped. Lot of big big shade trees. I live in the san bois mtns in SE OK and have a nice sloping yard with big shade trees but the ground isn't the greatest as far as drainage goes after those multi day long rains. We have about 6-8 inches of top soil and red clay under that so even on a sloped yard it stays wet longer. Dont seem to affect the gamefowl all that much though as far as devolopment goes. Im sure everyone thinks where they are from or where they have strong ties to is the best and id say thats probably right because there are good cocks and good cockers everywhere but what does it matter if your not one of them?????
    If La. was such a great place to raise gamefowl they would have dominated the competition at Sunset.It's a huge disadvantage to have to travel your fowl for 8 to 12 hours and compete in someone's back yard.The quality of fowl was basically the same.Everyone that competed had the best fowl available.Everyone was about equal in conditioning.The only difference was the environment.The lowest point in La. which is New Orleans is 8 feet below sea level.Not the ideal conditions to raise gamefowl.Just my opinion and nothing more.

30. Likes Redbreeder1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I can’t attest to Louisiana being a good place to breed or not. But what I can attest to is the quality of fowl that have come out of there and continue to come out of there. I know jay of Springwater game farm and I know his fowl top quality. Larry Romero top quality. I only speak of that what I have personally held in my hands.

Post Thanks / Like

But this thread was definitely not intended to be a back and forth of my state is better then yours. Let’s keep the post coming guys

33. Likes LaBlue, CA whitetoppy06 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I always lived in Al. but recently moved to NW Fl. All sand here. I think Al. is perfect for gamecocks buy got my butt kicked in La, Ok. Ga.,Tenn. and Ky. so there must be good cocks in most all these states. When I retired, I checked into the possibility of moving to the Philippines, but found that a foreigner can't buy and own land unless they are married to a Filipino citizen. Leasing is not suitable for me.

Post Thanks / Like

TEXAS is the greatest country in the United States!!! We have a good economy and a $hit load of gamefowl and the land scape is diverse West Texas 10% humidity east Texas 80% humidity south Texas 50% humidity and a bunch of great people and a unlimited amount of land... For real thow

36. Likes CA whitetoppy06, El_Gavilancillo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by airjammer88 View Post
    TEXAS is the greatest country in the United States!!! We have a good economy and a $hit load of gamefowl and the land scape is diverse West Texas 10% humidity east Texas 80% humidity south Texas 50% humidity and a bunch of great people and a unlimited amount of land... For real thow
    Man I don’t mind the heat lol. I know there’s several chicken men out I. Texas so that’s good
    Last edited by El_Gavilancillo; March 3rd, 2018 at 11:08 AM.

38. Likes CA whitetoppy06 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I.m in Thailand but the last thing in your live you should do is start with gamefowl in Thailand. Than the same thing here you can not own land it must be on your Thai wife's name.

40. Likes 1min.shuffle, El_Gavilancillo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by roostercm View Post
    Here here....................

Post Thanks / Like

I do agree that some states in the US can be considered the best when it comes to raising fowls.

In the Philippines, granted that it is a tropical country, there are locations that are conducive for game fowls. Lots of untapped/virgin land. I have actually raised fowls years back in an area of around a little less than 2 hectares and which was about 2k feet above sea level. Between the months of October until late February/early March, the temperature reached a comfortable low of 18-22 degrees and colder during the early hours of the morning . When summer hit, a high of around 34 degrees was experienced...though of course the rainy season came from the months of June until August. This was not a real problem since the land I had was a bit hilly in some portions and grass was in abundance coupled with tropical fruit bearing trees for natural shade for the mini-range and teepees I had. Breeding season for me back then was from mid-November 'til end-December which worked real well with the vaccination program I maintained. The nearest poultry supply store was only around 20-30 minutes drive into the city.

Those were the days when I started my day with a hot cup of coffee at 4 in the morning and could smell the grass wet from the morning dew. Got to bed at around 10pm after making my nightly trip to the brooder and holding pens. Fed them at 7am and 4:30pm, skipped morning feeding on Sundays for those on cord.

These places definitely still exist. Just a matter of sourcing.At any rate, it's always an advantage to be able to fight and test your fowls without having to travel great distances and knowing that all is well when it came to legalities. Just wanted to share this....

43. Thanks White thai thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by White thai View Post
    I.m in Thailand but the last thing in your live you should do is start with gamefowl in Thailand. Than the same thing here you can not own land it must be on your Thai wife's name.
    Actually, there are legal ways and means of owning land in the Philippines and not just from marrying a local. There are considerations. People can look into the possibility of coming in as an ''investor". A bit complicated in the beginning due to all the paper work, but eventually would be worth every effort. If the intentions are serious, there are professionals that can be consulted on this matter.

45. Likes El_Gavilancillo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1min.shuffle View Post
    I do agree that some states in the US can be considered the best when it comes to raising fowls.

In the Philippines, granted that it is a tropical country, there are locations that are conducive for game fowls. Lots of untapped/virgin land. I have actually raised fowls years back in an area of around a little less than 2 hectares and which was about 2k feet above sea level. Between the months of October until late February/early March, the temperature reached a comfortable low of 18-22 degrees and colder during the early hours of the morning . When summer hit, a high of around 34 degrees was experienced...though of course the rainy season came from the months of June until August. This was not a real problem since the land I had was a bit hilly in some portions and grass was in abundance coupled with tropical fruit bearing trees for natural shade for the mini-range and teepees I had. Breeding season for me back then was from mid-November 'til end-December which worked real well with the vaccination program I maintained. The nearest poultry supply store was only around 20-30 minutes drive into the city.

Those were the days when I started my day with a hot cup of coffee at 4 in the morning and could smell the grass wet from the morning dew. Got to bed at around 10pm after making my nightly trip to the brooder and holding pens. Fed them at 7am and 4:30pm, skipped morning feeding on Sundays for those on cord.

These places definitely still exist. Just a matter of sourcing.At any rate, it's always an advantage to be able to fight and test your fowls without having to travel great distances and knowing that all is well when it came to legalities. Just wanted to share this....
    Great post bud. Sounds like a heck of a time. That’s really what it’s all about!

47. Thanks 1min.shuffle thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gavilancillo View Post
    I can’t attest to Louisiana being a good place to breed or not. But what I can attest to is the quality of fowl that have come out of there and continue to come out of there. I know jay of Springwater game farm and I know his fowl top quality. Larry Romero top quality. I only speak of that what I have personally held in my hands.
    When I moved from East Texas to Louisiana when Oklahoma was made illegal and 345 was passed, I looked all over Louisiana. The reason I settled in North Louisiana was the ground. Seemed like everything I looked at from Middle of Louisiana down had drainage problems and the old black clay dirt that stayed muddy all the time. Not saying you cant raise good birds further south, but it would have been much more work involved in keeping ground healthy. If I had to choose a state in U.S. that would raise healthiest birds due to ground alone, I would have to take a very close look at Kentucky or as close to Kentucky as possible. Don't know if I could stand the winters, but the big race horse farms don't settle there without a reason. I believe its the natural lime found in the ground there. If I was looking at moving out of the country, it would be a hard decision between Mexico and Philippines. Both have a deep love for roosters, Both places have any size of derby you would want to enter any day of the week, I have been treated great by the people in both places, I have many friends in both places, Mexico is much closer to travel back and forth from, while Philippines has a large portion of population that at least speaks some English so no need for translator. Both have difficulties in climate that can present challenges in trying to breed fowl there though.