Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dumbest things you ever done as a beginner

Post Thanks / Like

Dumbest things you ever done as a beginner

Thought this might be a fun topic and maybe helpful to our beginners on what NOT to do. WHAT THE DUMBEST MISTAKE YOU EVER MADE .
    We have all made them . Ill start with trimming stags. When I was a boy a buddy and I caught up a bunch of stags . We took them into the smokehouse and was going to trim them before putting them out in cages. We would trim one put flour on his head and pitch him back in the smokehouse . About the time we got to the last rooster we opened the door and had a battle royal going on . LOL
    Just wasn't thinking , hell we didn't know any better. So for those that are just starting out and might not know just beware if you wait to long to catch stags off the yard and it comes a good hard rain you could loose a few good stags cause they don't recognize each other. Don't think I need to repeat not to trim them and throw them back in the same building , even if it is just for a few minutes.LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dumbest things you ever done as a beginner

Dumbest thing I ever did was buy fowl from a peddler, check the people that you’re buying birds from and make sure that they have a good reputation before you buy anything!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Thanks White thai thanked for this post
    Likes Al Sanchez, don128, Skincarver, spanky81 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I did a dumb one when I was a kid. My Dad had a great big pen about 30x30 or so that we would run all the stags in before trimming. My job was to trim them one day and then pen them. One grey stag {the last one too} Was real wild and I ran him all over the pen for about 20 min. so when I caught him I was pretty mad so I just snipped his comb off and the blood just shot out. He died in about 20 minuets. Needless to say Dad was not happy with me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Skincarver View Post
    Thought this might be a fun topic and maybe helpful to our beginners on what NOT to do. WHAT THE DUMBEST MISTAKE YOU EVER MADE .
    We have all made them . Ill start with trimming stags. When I was a boy a buddy and I caught up a bunch of stags . We took them into the smokehouse and was going to trim them before putting them out in cages. We would trim one put flour on his head and pitch him back in the smokehouse . About the time we got to the last rooster we opened the door and had a battle royal going on . LOL
    Just wasn't thinking , hell we didn't know any better. So for those that are just starting out and might not know just beware if you wait to long to catch stags off the yard and it comes a good hard rain you could loose a few good stags cause they don't recognize each other. Don't think I need to repeat not to trim them and throw them back in the same building , even if it is just for a few minutes.LOL
    Did you work for an *** organization? JK, JK. Mistakes are the best teachers. Not having someone to show or tell you simple things such as that really makes for a lot of those mistakes. First show I ever fed, no help, no advice, found me a keep to follow, had me boiling all kinds of mess, feeding slop. Man those birds were so wet that day, was like popping balloons.
    Last edited by Nauvoo; March 9th, 2018 at 04:19 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nauvoo View Post
    Did you work for an *** organization? JK, JK. Mistakes are the best teachers. Not having someone to show or tell you simple things such as that really makes for a lot of those mistakes. First show I ever fed, no help, no advice, found me a keep to follow, had me boiling all kinds of mess, feeding slop. Man those birds were so wet that day, was like popping balloons.
    LOL. They sure are, they are the hard earned ones that you never forget.

7. Likes CA whitetoppy06 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MAD MAX View Post
    I did a dumb one when I was a kid. My Dad had a great big pen about 30x30 or so that we would run all the stags in before trimming. My job was to trim them one day and then pen them. One grey stag {the last one too} Was real wild and I ran him all over the pen for about 20 min. so when I caught him I was pretty mad so I just snipped his comb off and the blood just shot out. He died in about 20 minuets. Needless to say Dad was not happy with me.
    LOL, yep I bet he wasn't . Ive had them come close a few times.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big T Game Farm View Post
    Dumbest thing I ever did was buy fowl from a peddler, check the people that you’re buying birds from and make sure that they have a good reputation before you buy anything!

Yep made that one myself once too. Problem is that's a tough one , cause sometime you don't know they are peddlers until its too late. Even with the research. Id say to a beginner its best to get your first fowl from a good friend that you know has good ones.But like you said if you have to order then do your research and ask the right questions.If they refuse to answer then move on.

10. Likes CA whitetoppy06 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big T Game Farm View Post

Probably the most common mistake made, but at the same time it’s one of the most relative opinions there is. Everyone has a different idea of what good fowl is and we all think we got the right eye. I know of ppl still peddling what I consider to be junk and their reputation for good is still higher than I can fathom.

Post Thanks / Like

One time a long time ago I took all my brood cocks out of their pens to cut spurs and clean pens, had to be about 30. I put them out in the yard on 6' tie cords. It took about a half day or so to clean in the buildings. We never heard anything just alot of crowing. When I rounded the corner I see all the cocks fighting even thow they couldnt reach each other, about 3' in between them. About 10 of them had yanked their leg out of socket and I lost them, had about another 10 that couldn't walk for a week. dumb dumb dumb, lol

13. Thanks Chicken tickler, Skincarver thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Probably the most common mistake made, but at the same time it’s one of the most relative opinions there is. Everyone has a different idea of what good fowl is and we all think we got the right eye. I know of ppl still peddling what I consider to be junk and their reputation for good is still higher than I can fathom.
    I kind of touched on this once before. If someone breeds and sells enough he is just as bound to have some great ones come up as he is donkeys. I used to think a peddler wouldn't last but look back at Dan Defabach he sold junk for years and I doubt he ever showed a single one, Bill Roberts is about the same I believe.

15. Likes El_Gavilancillo, Nauvoo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My first time getting game fowl I had no pens and no clue as how to raise them. Next time I was an expert and put them on tie cords so the pea fowl from next door could kill them. I still make mistakes but I just take it in stride learn and move on.

17. Thanks Skincarver thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

One of the biggest mistakes I made was wanting every kind of fowl that was winning at the moment.I'm sure we all wanted to improve our yard but that's one of the biggest mistakes most beginners make.It would have been much easier and less expensive to stick with one family until you learned the basic's.The next biggest mistake I made was trying to run before I could walk.That means trying to compete with the seasoned cockers while I should have still been hacking in the brush fights.Went home with empty carry cases more than once.LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Change there diet and exercise the $hit out of them 21 days before game time.

Post Thanks / Like

I could write a small book on this subject. I learned most of what I know from my father and his boot. And let me tell ya we talked often the three of us. Never got too mad as he was right more often than not. But we all started with fowl at the same time. Dad was 41, my brother 10 and me 6. I always thought I was as smart as either of them and a better or just as good of judge of fowl. Dad had McClanahans and HH Moore Clarets. He had the old Wheat field side that mostly come yellow legged. I. Was about 10 and come home and one of his brood cocks had gotten out and had beat a hole through the wire and was n the next pen fighting another brood cock. Well I cleaned them up got their hens back where they went but the cocks were badly beaten. I greased there head and put them back where they went. (I thought). They healed up nicely and had chicks we marked and put them out. I recall dad saying never had striped clarets before. Anyway before long he told me to get his claret cock out of that pen. I did but he wasn't his claret cock, it was the McClanahan cock. Had switched them during the fight. He was POed. Both of the stags made good fowl but it messed his 10 year plan up. Another time after I was married and just got back from the Rattliff school, I couldn't win a derby. Lost a few money fights. A buddy said you just not getting them empty he said you got to go at least 24 hrs. After last feed before you fight. I thought heck if 24 hrs will get them sharp 36 ought to really have them on. Lost 5 in a row. They just. Kept calling and calling and calling me. Never did that again and shortly went to winning. Live and learn.

Post Thanks / Like

Brought a show of chickens in a Mexican carry box. Only took them out to drop them. I was like all the guys down south use them I’m good to my buddy. Who told me to take them out and leave them out. I said this young buck will teach an old timer a ting or two. He still makes fun of me to this day. They could not cut a lick. I should have just given them my money and saved good birds

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hoghunterdave View Post
    My first time getting game fowl I had no pens and no clue as how to raise them. Next time I was an expert and put them on tie cords so the pea fowl from next door could kill them. I still make mistakes but I just take it in stride learn and move on.
    Yep, Im still making mistakes as well . I made one a couple years ago that I knew better but just made bad judgment on the fly. Had a baby chick fly over in an opposite flypen and a hen had it down killing it. I ran in to grab the hen thinking only to save the chick and turned my gentle old Ruble cock into a manfighter in an instant. 2 yrs later Im just now getting him tamed back down and still cant trust him 100% . So new guys either always catch the rooster from a brood pen first or better yet at night . In my case I acted on instinct and cost me a good gentle rooster.lol

23. Thanks Chicken tickler thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

First time I shot one in the neck with Tylan the needle was toward his head , I lived and learned but the rooster didn't

Was in the eighth grade and hacked a couple stags into the locals and dis real good , made the mistake of counting our winnings where a guy could see it and he said we were forty short .. We told him " nope , we never has forty to cover our first bet .. We knew we could whip you "

25. Likes RLaurent14 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by river city reds View Post
    One of the biggest mistakes I made was wanting every kind of fowl that was winning at the moment.I'm sure we all wanted to improve our yard but that's one of the biggest mistakes most beginners make.It would have been much easier and less expensive to stick with one family until you learned the basic's.The next biggest mistake I made was trying to run before I could walk.That means trying to compete with the seasoned cockers while I should have still been hacking in the brush fights.Went home with empty carry cases more than once.LOL
    Yeah that's a big one. I wanted some of everything when I started . I still love other breeds , but like you said its best to only keep what you can manage and keep records of at all times especially at the beginning.

27. Thanks Chicken tickler thanked for this post
    Likes river city reds liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I had up a show of Hugh Norman Dark Laws Greys, the ones with black blood. Hadn't fed but a show or but these were coming on just right for Wed. I was off work and decided to go see Hugh. Got home 2hrs. after feeding time . After dark and cocks had gone to hell so I decided to fix them with crack corn and a gob of cottage cheese' Made their bodies come back a little . Carried them and showed and was 0-3 with good cocks that I had babied 2 yrs
    Went to my mother's and picked up about 20 stags and pullets she had hatched and walked on her farm. Good place for fowl. They had a few runny noses so I pulled tuck out to pump house, turned on light. Got my big bottle of Penicillin, started shooting them up and pitching them in a big pen that was in the dark. When I got through, got my flash lite and looked into pen. Every one of them were flat on the ground. Looked dead. I just turned the light off and went in the house. Next morning went out with feed sacks to load up dead chickens. All were up, brighteyed. In 2 days, no runny noses. Do you think I might have O.D them a little?
    Last edited by RHman1026; March 9th, 2018 at 08:30 AM.

29. Thanks Skincarver thanked for this post
    Likes jncblas, RLaurent14 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Trusting the wrong people,traded a really good stag for a cock that I thought would help my breeding program.Why because the person that gifted them to me also gave me a hen that he had bred from this person's stock so I thought it would not hurt how wrong I was.He was a manfighter and dunghill to boot,after week of being piss off with this cock I invited the guy I got him from I asked him to take any cock that I had so that I can him how much of a dunghill he gave me after two mins he took off the said oh his just a wheeler so I caught him faced them he ran again caught him and my dog had fresh chicken for dinner in front of him he has never said a thing to he since about anything to do with game fowl.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Quapaw Kid View Post
    First time I shot one in the neck with Tylan the needle was toward his head , I lived and learned but the rooster didn't

Was in the eighth grade and hacked a couple stags into the locals and dis real good , made the mistake of counting our winnings where a guy could see it and he said we were forty short .. We told him " nope , we never has forty to cover our first bet .. We knew we could whip you "
    LOL, yeah that can lead to trouble in a hurry>

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RHman1026 View Post
    I had up a show of Hugh Norman Dark Laws Greys, the ones with black blood. Hadn't fed but a show or but these were coming on just right for Wed. I was off work and decided to go see Hugh. Got home 2hrs. after feeding time . After dark and cocks had gone to hell so I decided to fix them with crack corn and a gob of cottage cheese' Made their bodies come back a little . Carried them and showed and was 0-3 with good cocks that I had babied 2 yrs
    Went to my mother's and picked up about 20 stags and pullets she had hatched and walked on her farm. Good place for fowl. They had a few runny noses so I pulled tuck out to pump house, turned on light. Got my big bottle of Penicillin, started shooting them up and pitching them in a big pen that was in the dark. When I got through, got my flash lite and looked into pen. Every one of them were flat on the ground. Looked dead. I just turned the light off and went in the house. Next morning went out with feed sacks to load up dead chickens. All were up, brighteyed. In 2 days, no runny noses. Do you think I might have O.D them a little?
    LMAO , yep, kill em or cure is a sayin Ive always heard . Pays to know how to medicate dont it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mctrott1 View Post
    Trusting the wrong people,traded a really good stag for a cock that I thought would help my breeding program.Why because the person that gifted them to me also gave me a hen that he had bred from this person's stock so I thought it would not hurt how wrong I was.He was a manfighter and dunghill to boot,after week of being piss off with this cock I invited the guy I got him from I asked him to take any cock that I had so that I can him how much of a dunghill he gave me after two mins he took off the said oh his just a wheeler so I caught him faced them he ran again caught him and my dog had fresh chicken for dinner in front of him he has never said a thing to he since about anything to do with game fowl.
    Man I traded like that once too . Bad thing is I traded a 5X time winning rooster that was ugly for a damn good looking rooster that ended up a runner. I saw the guy later and ask about getting mine back . He said he had went through and killed everything that he thought wasn't completely healthy. The rooster I had traded was a raw breasted rooster.While that's not ideal for breeding a lot of those old Raw Bone roosters are aces. I learned my lesson.Seems like Ive made about every mistake a man can make .LOL

34. Likes lawgreyman14 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Listened to all sorts of suggestions and comments (got to apply some of them) from people who were actually unreliable when it came to basic care. I eventually found out later on after reading up.

Lesson learned....take everything with a grain of salt, especially when coming from people who have no foundation what so ever. I was around 7 or 8 that time but being gullible was no excuse. Had to go back listening to my dad and brother. After all, I got funding from both them . Seriously, they only had the best intentions at heart and wanted me to just enjoy my back yard hobby. Support from family is still probably the best over all.

36. Likes Dayuhan13, Skincarver liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

well thinking very hard on this subject I started when I was fourteen made many mistakes according to my mentor and others up till last year who ive made a lot of mistakes and probably make more this year too some where big some where small but every time I think its going good ill mess up again learn from some do others over and over that just part of this sport lol

Post Thanks / Like

drug overdose ... using PEDs without understanding ... ruined what supposedly a good fowl ..

39. Likes Dayuhan13 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess one of the biggest and most expensive mistakes I made was getting a new broodcock to make some crosses with mine and raised as many as I could before trying the new crosses out. Ended up having to cull more than 100 of the prettiest 2 year old cocks. I learned right then just because both sides of a cross is good, the cross wont always turn out good also and to raise just a few that first year and test them before raising a bunch. I know the rooster I got was good, I had seen him fight several times that year in big derbies and I know his blood line was good because the person I got him from had been fighting them for years, Just didn't cross well with what I had. On the same line, just because A person does well with a family of fowl, doesn't mean you will also. You have to find the family that fits what you do and just because you don't win with a family you obtained doesn't mean they sent you junk, they just might not be your kind of fowl.

41. Thanks leonidas, don128 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

the biggest of many but i just had to have some white roosters to whip these boys here with lol my brother found me 6 all brothers straight combed just like i wanted them won a gaff derby at sunset and knife derby at birds of a feather man knew my brother and was getting out got all 6 for 800.00 i was happy took them home and sparred them looked great i was ready put them though the keep got to the show(5 cock) and was ready had them right son looked great felt a little bit tight but good turned the first loose he breaks into the rooster and is all over him im feeling good lol he never cut a lick i said well gonna be a long day for 1 fight nope called back up 2 more times same thing. i was sure i wouldnt get called after 1 st fight so i didnt try to loose them up lol 2nd mistake but i just couldnt figure it out these rooster could cut before me lol i was hurt and didnt know why got home put them up woke up next morning go out and there was my reason i had the bright idea last 3 days to put them on fresh grass lol those bastards had scratched holes in that ground i had them hungry to it never hit me till then u dumba$$ u ruined 3 real good roosters i also learned to be ready and dont think u wont get called back up so work with ur roosters all day it was a tough couple lessons btw last 3 brothers i won 2 3 cocks with them and i was only a average feeder at best they were just good roosters lol i would only put those 3 up for the 3 cock not 4-5-6 nope just them i was dumb but u live and learn

43. Likes hoghunterdave, don128 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nauvoo I can relate. When younger (not true I still do) I read every keep out there. I change nothing now. I only feed my regular yard feed during keep plus hard boiled eggs the yoke too. I pour buttermilk over it. So they pass there feed. The last 3 days are fresh cracked corn and egg whites. Wisdom is obtained with experience

45. Likes Nauvoo, Al Sanchez liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RHman1026 View Post
    I really can’t follow your writing . Will you please explain this section? Hadn't fed but a show or but these were coming on just right for Wed. I was off work and decided to go see Hugh. Got home 2hrs. after feeding time . After dark and cocks had gone to hell so I decided to fix them with crack corn and a gob of cottage cheese' Made their bodies come back a little . Carried them and showed and was 0-3 with good cocks that I had babied 2 yrs