Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dumbest things you ever done as a beginner

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dumbest things you ever done as a beginner

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Spur View Post
    drug overdose ... using PEDs without understanding ... ruined what supposedly a good fowl ..
    What is PED?????????????????????????

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BostonMurphy View Post
    What is PED?????????????????????????
    Performance enhancing drugs

Lucas

3. Thanks Black_Spur thanked for this post
    Likes jncblas, Black_Spur liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry if I was not plain in wording. I fed for my cocks to be crop empty at noon and then being 2 hrs late for night feeding with cocks still in fly pens with lights on, they were really hungry and their bodies had changed a lot. I carried them in cock house , put them on work bench to watch them. Remembered that their bodies felt like they had just come off the cords instead of being in fly pen and flying them on workbench for 10 days. I was never late to feed again and never fed one piece of cottage cheese again after that show. They never regained the bodies I think they need and they acted too dull on up to fight time. Should have not took them or at least been smart enough to not enter the derby. Cost me a good amount of$ for that lesson. Also what I meant to say was I had fed only a show or 2. I also think cottage cheese has too much salt in it and it has little food value. Forgot to mention I fed it on every feed til fight time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RHman1026 View Post
    Sorry if I was not plain in wording. I fed for my cocks to be crop empty at noon and then being 2 hrs late for night feeding with cocks still in fly pens with lights on, they were really hungry and their bodies had changed a lot. I carried them in cock house , put them on work bench to watch them. Remembered that their bodies felt like they had just come off the cords instead of being in fly pen and flying them on workbench for 10 days. I was never late to feed again and never fed one piece of cottage cheese again after that show. They never regained the bodies I think they need and they acted too dull on up to fight time. Should have not took them or at least been smart enough to not enter the derby. Cost me a good amount of$ for that lesson. Also what I meant to say was I had fed only a show or 2. I also think cottage cheese has too much salt in it and it has little food value. Forgot to mention I fed it on every feed til fight time.
    Thank you I can relate to wanting to bring them but having doubts. Now that I’m older. If I have a doubt I stay home.

6. Likes roostercm, lawgreyman14 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The dumbest thing I have done as a beginner is starting with breeding gamefowl in Thailand. The biggest fault was that I trust people and let them in my property. Never ever trust anybody iff you don't know them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by White thai View Post
    The dumbest thing I have done as a beginner is starting with breeding gamefowl in Thailand. The biggest fault was that I trust people and let them in my property. Never ever trust anybody iff you don't know them.
    Yeah you have to be a little cautious . Even if they end up being good people , they can carry diseases on their shoes to your fowl . Also Id like to add to let beginners know and Ive broke this rule myself to this day . But if you bring new fowl into your flock or back from a poultry show its best to keep them away from your other fowl for about a week at least.

9. Likes mctrott1, Al Sanchez, White thai liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Had a real good ylh cock when I just started out, had hens to go with him too, once the hens were setting on eggs, I took him and showed at a little brush pit. Y'all know what happened next lol, dead in 3 pittings. Never good get his sons to produce near like him, ended up taking the original hens back to where I got him, learned never fight my broodcocks once they've made it to the broodpens.

11. Thanks LaBlue thanked for this post
    Likes roostercm, LaBlue, Skincarver liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hatchsmash View Post
    Had a real good ylh cock when I just started out, had hens to go with him too, once the hens were setting on eggs, I took him and showed at a little brush pit. Y'all know what happened next lol, dead in 3 pittings. Never good get his sons to produce near like him, ended up taking the original hens back to where I got him, learned never fight my broodcocks once they've made it to the broodpens.
    I've told of the time dad wanted to fight his Driskell red brood cock. He had over a dozen stags from him and butcher hens. He run and I rung his neck. His sons win three derbies in two weeks and several more after that. Never had one even looked like he might quit. Dumb, dumb!!!!!!

13. Likes KevinG, lawgreyman14, roostercm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LaBlue View Post
    I've told of the time dad wanted to fight his Driskell red brood cock. He had over a dozen stags from him and butcher hens. He run and I rung his neck. His sons win three derbies in two weeks and several more after that. Never had one even looked like he might quit. Dumb, dumb!!!!!!
    Dang Mr Del I don't remember that one. Lol. I read that one to my wife she got a kick out of it. She said that's so.ethi g i would do, she was helping me catch whore hens as my brother calls them out of the flypens I had in with cocks, anyhow this one hen acted like she never been handled in her life flying all around the dang pen my head was already hurting damn bad sinus headache, I grabbed the net already mad as hell, I bought couldn't catch her behind with a net she had all the cocks raising sand I finally caught her, grabbed her neck and crunk her up, Belinda said o my god really Jay I said really chit dumbass hen i ain't feeding Chit that's gonna actblike that damn 3 years old. Anyhow i started worming the roosters on cords while those cocks calm down she comes over there with my book and said Jay what was that hen you killed, I said baby I don't know probably a yard hatch hen or a half and half I ain't planning on breeding, she said nope shes a half jerry's green leg hatch over your daddy's ylh...........sur3 nuff I looked atvthe book and that's what she was i only had two of them and was gonna breed them back to daddy's yellow legged hatch, their brothers are great cocks. There was a post a while back on one of the advice threads m, it said something like don't fool with or work your cocks when your in a pissy mood, I agree. Pissy mood or with a bad head ache. That headache and the hen flying around crazy as hell like she was got me in the pissy mood that guy was talking about. Lol
    Last edited by lawgreyman14; March 12th, 2018 at 09:10 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Do dumb things? Let me count the ways....when I was about 12 I heeled up 2 bull stags when they were in the moult. They went up and broke each others leg...I wrung their necks.Never did that again on dads yard even though was never found out.All their brothers won at least 1 time...Then when I got back into the game in the 1980's I was at a backyard meet and there were way too many people there...I knew to leave and did not.Cost me all my gaffs 5 good roosters,scratch pens and carry boxes...Then I moved when the other handler did and my rooster thought he was gonna be picked up and was a standing target...that has happened 3 times back in the day...too old now and I only want to raise pets...

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I had a partner one time, who was the son of a partner who past. He thought it to be a good idea to trim the heels on all my cocks when I wasn't home and surprise me. Well I use the pro hitch. He trimmed about 1/3 of the cocks to short for the hitch and didn't realize it. I did when I went out to feed the next day. About twenty dead and about that many pretty messed up. Live and learn.

17. Thanks Skincarver thanked for this post
    Likes White thai liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Another dumb thing I have a hard time with sometimes still is listening to old timers. I don't mean any old bastard talking chicken, always vet the advice be for you take it. Had a man tell me my cocks were low headed, to cull them or keep them home. I didn't listen and it cost me plenty of $ and a gaff through the hand cause one got blinded sticking his head out there, when I grabbed him he hubbed it through the meaty part between my thumb and trigger finger. Now low head =no head.

19. Likes Skincarver, lawgreyman14 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been seeing this post for a while now, tried to narrow it down and then I saw my Scar. When I first started handling I learned the Hard Way. I handled a little early and the other guy didn't handle at all. Man was that SK Sharp! It Cut my Artery wide open. It looked as if they opened a faucet, I bled so much, I was questioned like if I had tried to commit suicide. Man was that Baptism by fire. Took ALOT to get back in the Pit again but I've been handling and tying for years now.

21. Likes KevinG, Skincarver liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Showing roosters still in molt I've over heeled roosters one of the biggest mistakes was I listened to a old idiot put hay in my carry stalls hauled them roosters 10 hours they were like a ball of fire when I pulled them out lost 5 straight letting people borrow weapons you name it I've done it

23. Thanks KevinG, Skincarver thanked for this post
    Likes hoghunterdave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Even though Im fairly new to raising and breeding gamefowl the dumbest mistake I have made so far is that even though you semi close your Coop door even just buy a little crack they will bust out of there like a wildfire, I was just trying to pick up a hen and she used her momentum by shifting from the ground to her Roost and flying headfirst to the door busting it right open she was lost for about a week and I was calling it quits because she was nowhere to be found but I had a feeling that someone close to me had it and one day my neighbor that lives behind me was walking in his backyard and I asked him have you seen a whiteish hen and he had told me no... 10 minutes later he comes running back yelling there's a hen up in my tree is it yours and **** you not it was😂😅

Sent from my LM-X210(G) using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Letting folks borrow brood fowl. Never works out. But I still do it.LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsygamefarm View Post
    Showing roosters still in molt I've over heeled roosters one of the biggest mistakes was I listened to a old idiot put hay in my carry stalls hauled them roosters 10 hours they were like a ball of fire when I pulled them out lost 5 straight letting people borrow weapons you name it I've done it
    We haul them with hay, except I put the hay in the stall first, kinda pack it down a little. I cut a piece of put in on top of the hay, in hopes that it woupd cup there body a little so they wouldn't have to tense up any around curves and stuff, call myself trying to make them more comfortable for the trip. How much difference it makes don't know it's just one of things I think makes a difference so i do it. My buddy used to just haul them with Hay only, I noticed how they seemed hot but I just accredited that to the weather, males sense now lol, my main problem was if you didntbhave them completely blacked out at show they'd be scratching that hay like hell, using up that energy. Too hot where we at to black em completely, got have some air flow going thru there.

27. Likes Skincarver liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If you haul a hungry rooster on hay he won't be empty when you get to the show.
    Why is everyone ignoring the obvious? Getting game fowl is the first mistake and leads to all the others. But damn they're some proud little warriors.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsygamefarm View Post
    I'm the king of fightin in the moult like an idiot lol...I caint tell u how many times I done that lol...normally about once a year around Christmas lol

Lucas

30. Likes Skincarver, KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hoghunterdave View Post
    If you haul a hungry rooster on hay he won't be empty when you get to the show.
    Why is everyone ignoring the obvious? Getting game fowl is the first mistake and leads to all the others. But damn they're some proud little warriors.
    That's another reason I put the carpet over the hay, you know if they're scratching in it they're trying to eat something.

32. Likes Skincarver liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Taking a show.... knowing full well they were off (Dad)

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk

34. Thanks Skincarver thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

years ago I bought a trio of tool pusher blues from Dan Defabach and raised some real good chickens.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by INCUBUS06 View Post
    Taking a show.... knowing full well they were off (Dad)

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk
    LOL, wouldn't take nothing for mine but you cant tell him nothing neither.

Post Thanks / Like

It's kinda cool when your dad doesn't have birds, then sees how passionate you are, and the positive changes they've caused in your life, then he wants some

Post Thanks / Like

My dumbest mistake was.. “Liking Toppies” cause had I just liked what everyone else liked than I’d be more accepted”

other dumbest thing was sharing “my opinions” not everything is set in stone so some of them opinions may be obsolete for a learning mind” but the toppies are like a “flag or banner” if it falls somebody will hoist it high. i live in a time beyond my time.. like most of us, I find peace and chaos with raising stock but the gains for my soul is more than the loss from blowholes.

JMO

39. Likes Skincarver liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CA whitetoppy06 View Post
    My dumbest mistake was.. “Liking Toppies” cause had I just liked what everyone else liked than I’d be more accepted”

other dumbest thing was sharing “my opinions” not everything is set in stone so some of them opinions may be obsolete for a learning mind” but the toppies are like a “flag or banner” if it falls somebody will hoist it high. i live in a time beyond my time.. like most of us, I find peace and chaos with raising stock but the gains for my soul is more than the loss from blowholes.

JMO
    LOL Agh hell, being accepted is way overrated anyway ! Being true to ones self will get you a lot farther in this old world.
    Those are some fine looking Toppy fowl . Got some cousins who breed good family of FEGs .

Post Thanks / Like

Corded and pened birds in an open field .. I'm still a begginer but at least have brood pens fly pens and sturdy square pens now lol

Sent from my LGL58VL using Tapatalk

42. Likes TopNotchfarms, Skincarver liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MAD MAX View Post
    I kind of touched on this once before. If someone breeds and sells enough he is just as bound to have some great ones come up as he is donkeys. I used to think a peddler wouldn't last but look back at Dan Defabach he sold junk for years and I doubt he ever showed a single one, Bill Roberts is about the same I believe.
    Love my Bill Roberts minor blue.

Sent from my USCC-E6762 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Stupidest thing I ever done starting out was getting one of my older buddy's chickens when he got out of the business and spared all the stags till they had one eyed and hacked fought the cocks sick and never raised a pure chick out of them. Good chickens to.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kcndn View Post
    Stupidest thing I ever done starting out was getting one of my older buddy's chickens when he got out of the business and spared all the stags till they had one eyed and hacked fought the cocks sick and never raised a pure chick out of them. Good chickens to.

Lol I did the same thing. I had some awesome fowl . hb hatch cousin raised an for 35 years still winning major derby. Had some griffin claret can't remember the mans name that had those but they were awesome. Ended up with nothing but dead birds. Even blinded a 3x winning pyle cock we got from a man just sparring lol

Sent from my LGL58VL using Tapatalk