Thread: What type of breathing is best

Post Thanks / Like

What type of breathing is best

I thought I started out with the trio of sweaters I producedsome pullets put them back into the cock and produced more Stags and pullets I got them pullets put them back into the original cock then got their pullets and put them back into the original cock. Ive went back 4 times with the daughters to the cockside what form of breeding is this and is it a good way

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What type of breathing is best

Anytime your still breathing, it's all good.

3. Thanks Sig1911, Al Sanchez thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I used the talk text and it re worded everything meant breeding

Post Thanks / Like

line breeding.............

Post Thanks / Like

Starting your line from one trio, not only would require talent, but some degree of luck. You could contact the breeder and order related brood stock. As long as your breeding's are working to produce winners, your on the right track. Inbreeding to tight is like painting yourself into a corner. You don't want to find out, you need to out cross and not to be able to get that line later. If your producing winners, re-invest those winning's back into new brood stock from the same breeder. You will want to make it easy to breed a winning line for years to come.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dtl gamefarm View Post
    I thought I started out with the trio of sweaters I producedsome pullets put them back into the cock and produced more Stags and pullets I got them pullets put them back into the original cock then got their pullets and put them back into the original cock. Ive went back 4 times with the daughters to the cockside what form of breeding is this and is it a good way
    You were line breeding to the original cock. How old are the 4th generation offsprings now? Am just wondering if they are still of normal size, or of similar size with the 1st generation offsprings. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

You’re going to wear out your bloodline very quick that way. I would breed as far away as possible and raise as many as you can when it’s time to pick new broodfowl. It’s better to select 1or 2 individuals out of 20 than only having 5 to pick from.

Post Thanks / Like

30 or so years ago I got my hatch. A trio Two sisters and a son from one hen. I didn't even know with hen was his mother. I showed him both days in an 8 cock derby. He got a broke leg the second fight but had killed his opponent. I lost one hen so bred him to his mom or aunt. These made real good fowl. I bred the best stag to the hen and they blew up on me. Big heads big thick bones some come huge some looked oriental. Only one out of five was fit to keep. I bred the cock to a couple of his pullets. They were all real nice. I bred him back to his second generation pullets they were very nice also. A little bit smaller and finer boned but little heads and very nice looking. That's as far as I took it to the cock. Every one of those I bred made exceptional brood cocks when crossing. I've infused a little Givens and Ruble but they are still fine fowl. Never were pure anything to start with. The guy I got them from said they was 3/4 BF, 1/8 asil and 1/8 nigger RH. Line breeding is the way to go if you have a super individual.

10. Thanks Al Sanchez, Bigmeal thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

13. Thanks 1min.shuffle thanked for this post
    Likes hoghunterdave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Which method is best? Depends on what your immediate goals are. All methods have there place. Inbreeding requires a lot of space to select from. Itís kind of a short cut. Line breeding is the safest but you can definitely move just as fast forward by breeding to the same cock or hen multiple times. Breeding cousins, aunts, uncles, half brothers and sisters is the safest but you still must select properly and eliminate INDIVIDUALS that arenít prepotent enough.
    Charts are a guideline and far from a GUARANTEE. 95% of people out there are wasting there time line and inbreeding. They would be far happier just crossing and buying brood fowl that suits them. Thatís what they do in the end anyway.
    Last edited by MONGOOSE; March 14th, 2018 at 10:45 PM.

15. Thanks Sig1911 thanked for this post
    Likes White thai, Al Sanchez liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Line breeding is used to set a line/Family or to maintain a Line/Family of chickens, Dogs, Horses ETC. Selection is always key in any breeding program. To be honest some folks just don`t have an Eye for selection. You either have it or you don`t.. Can not learn it from a book.. Just my opinions..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MONGOOSE View Post
    Which method is best? Depends on what your immediate goals are. All methods have there place. Inbreeding requires a lot of space to select from. It’s kind of a short cut. Line breeding is the safest but you can definitely move just as fast forward by breeding to the same cock or hen multiple times. Breeding cousins, aunts, uncles, half brothers and sisters is the safest but you still must select properly and eliminate INDIVIDUALS that aren’t prepotent enough.
    Charts are a guideline and far from a GUARANTEE. 95% of people out there are wasting there time line and inbreeding. They would be far happier just crossing and buying brood fowl that suits them. That’s what they do in the end anyway.
    I agree.. If you dont love to breed gamefowl and have a fire burning in your belly to do so then id just find a reliable breeder that has average/above average cross fowl then buy show cocks and learn to feed real good. If you dont like to feed either then fowl isnt your thing.

Post Thanks / Like

Theyre about 8 months now theyre still about the same size as. The first generation they look promising they recoil faster than the others i have bred and are real smart

19. Likes White thai liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dtl gamefarm View Post
    Theyre about 8 months now theyre still about the same size as. The first generation they look promising they recoil faster than the others i have bred and are real smart
    What kind of Sweater do you have? And are you able to post pictures of them 8 months old 4th generations? Thanks