Thread: Choosing SK

Post Thanks / Like

Choosing SK

Hey down south in old mx where it’s still legal how do you guys go about choosing sk? There’s so many styles

Recta (straight)
    Especial (special)
    Half Moon
    Rat Tail
    V type

Is each style suited for a particular bird? Whats your best combo boot and knife?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Choosing SK

If I think the cock shuffles a lot and will most likely make superficial wounds then I go for a more curved blade like an Especial or a V type / rat tail, with an advantage boot. This with the idea to help them cut better.

My Hatch Kelso aren't multishufflers, they don't cut as much but they cut deep, and I prefer to use a Recta or Media Luna with a natural (or natural-ish) boot. These cut well as is and I don't want to risk messing up the so-called 'cutting circle' or 'angle of cut'.

I don't know too much about the theory just going by what has worked for me.

Just my 2 cents from a small timer in MX.

3. Likes TIMEX, matt59, Krackers Koop, KevinG, spanky81 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I was cross the river bout a month back, they had some looked like one time use only(kinda cheapo lookin) bout $20 a knife. Had better lookin ones polished an all askin $26 a knife, is there a brand you would look for thats higher quality, what would you expect to pay for a good quality knife in Mexico ?

Post Thanks / Like

There's name brands as there are shoe brands is there a difference ? .... Of course there is....

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

There are so many brands nowadays... some of the newer, cheaper ones I'm told are as good as the big names.

I've been using Zarazua and Bugarin for a few years now. Here in Mexico they run about $120/dz so $10 a piece--this would be the price of good quality right now. As I said there are some good up and coming brands and I'd say they're about $80/dz, but I couldn't give you names since I haven't tried them.

$20 seems a bit steep even for the more well known brands, but I always buy by the dozen so no idea how much they sell for by the piece. Cheapest ones I've seen lately are $5.

7. Thanks Shrek thanked for this post
    Likes Shrek, TopNotchfarms liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aguazarca View Post
    There are so many brands nowadays... some of the newer, cheaper ones I'm told are as good as the big names.

I've been using Zarazua and Bugarin for a few years now. Here in Mexico they run about $120/dz so $10 a piece--this would be the price of good quality right now. As I said there are some good up and coming brands and I'd say they're about $80/dz, but I couldn't give you names since I haven't tried them.

$20 seems a bit steep even for the more well known brands, but I always buy by the dozen so no idea how much they sell for by the piece. Cheapest ones I've seen lately are $5.
    The lady runnin the place didnt offer a package deal, but thank you for the reply, it helps alot

Post Thanks / Like

If your starting to tie, go with a natural boot with half moon, that's how í started. Look at the spur gis it's shaped normally that'll be the style to choose. Then i went with some with ventaja(advantage) pointed towards elbow. And still tweek it a little at times. Fast birds or flyers í would use rectas ground fighters half moons, guadañas. But it all depends on how you feel but you need to try it out first and see if what you choose works on your fowl.

First time í ever tied a friend of ours always would tie for my brother and I he said that we needed to learn, we never tried or wanted to. Till that day came he wasn't able to go with us and we wanted to show but we didn't trust no one else, so we didn't enter, next time í saw him í asked him to show me so he came to our place we got some from the pens my brother and I heeled one each and let them go but i got wiped twice in a row on the 3rd well what can í say, I beat him. Always checking the damage after each lose tweaked it a little and there it went.. Been heeling since, was already conditioning prior to that, and few years back started handling.

Sent from my LG-M153 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrdzhdz View Post
    If your starting to tie, go with a natural boot with half moon, that's how í started. Look at the spur go with its shape normally that'll be the style to choose. Then i went with some with ventaja(advantage) pointed towards elbow. And still tweek it a little at times. Fast birds or flyers í would use rectas ground fighters half moons, guadañas. But it all depends on how you feel but you need to try it out first and see if what you choose works on your fowl.

First time í ever tied a friend of ours always would tie for my brother and I he said that we needed to learn, we never tried or wanted to. Till that day came he wasn't able to go with us and we wanted to show but we didn't trust no one else, so we didn't enter, next time í saw him í asked him to show me so he came to our place we got some from the pens my brother and I heeled one each and let them go but i got wiped twice in a row on the 3rd well what can í say, I beat him. Always checking the damage after each lose tweaked it a little and there it went.. Been heeling since, was already conditioning prior to that, and few years back started handling.

Post Thanks / Like

Keep it coming guys, i myself prefer american show but my partner prefers sk, down here where im at its starting to go just sk, everybody wants a quick win, not work the birds etc. I enjoyed the stamina in birds aswell as their cutting ability and of course the one to one as far as handlers is concerned. That to me was the challenge, loved it.. thats where everything paid off bird did his job then if it when for a long drag it was up to me. Anyways fairly new to just showing sk still learning need more opinions as far as what style shows best to style of fighting thanks, Gil

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gil007 View Post
    Keep it coming guys, i myself prefer american show but my partner prefers sk, down here where im at its starting to go just sk, everybody wants a quick win, not work the birds etc. I enjoyed the stamina in birds aswell as their cutting ability and of course the one to one as far as handlers is concerned. That to me was the challenge, loved it.. thats where everything paid off bird did his job then if it when for a long drag it was up to me. Anyways fairly new to just showing sk still learning need more opinions as far as what style shows best to style of fighting thanks, Gil
    I like hand working my fowl, í do a 21 day keep, but also switch them from jump pens to fly pens and every other day í put them in scratch pen about 30 to 45 minutes.