Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chance of receiving a competitive bloodline when you buy?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Chance of receiving a competitive bloodline when you buy?

It's pretty simple...it all depends on who u buy them from lol

Lucas

2. Likes Skincarver, LaBlue, hoghunterdave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Lucas I agree. If I was to buy a trio from you. I think I'd be competitive in two years. Just saying, if you'd sell them lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LaBlue View Post
    Lucas I agree. If I was to buy a trio from you. I think I'd be competitive in two years. Just saying, if you'd sell them lol.
    Lol I'm not saying mine r the best but I don't think a man would get embarrassed with em...but obviously u still gotta do your part that's what most neglect

Lucas

5. Likes southernX, Skincarver liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It does depend on what you do with them as much as anything. here is an example: I bought a pair of Whitehackles from someone that I knew were good fowl, I however only had so so success with them. Then completely by accident a little grey hen that ran my yard and I intended to cull just didn't get to it, Got in the pen with the Cock. I was gone a lot and never would have let her be. But she came off with a bunch of Whitehackle X Grey biddies. The stags were just tornadoes In the pit! It was one of the better crosses I have done. The other crosses I did were "Just Chickens" as Dad used to say. Not good not Bad. But crossed on the greys it really worked. And the guy I got them from said that yellow legged greys was what worked best for him to cross on. I should have listened to him! If someone says they cross best with something then try that first! good chickens are out there you just have to look.

7. Thanks White thai, tonetone559 thanked for this post
    Likes Skincarver, KevinG, tonetone559 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lucasemerson View Post

Lucas

yep....................................

Post Thanks / Like

Chances are good the chances of the buyer to listen to breeder not so good.

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk

10. Likes Skincarver, hoghunterdave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by INCUBUS06 View Post
    Chances are good the chances of the buyer to listen to breeder not so good.

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk
    You hit the nail on the head with this statement bud

Post Thanks / Like

I think it’s easier to find good chickens than to find good chicken men to sell them to.

13. Likes trueedge, GP13, LaBlue, hoghunterdave, Nauvoo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gaff View Post
    I think it’s easier to find good chickens than to find good chicken men to sell them to.
    I totally agree. Thats why gamblers and cockers go to the good chicken men that sell them because its hard to find. Prices for those chickens sold by good chicken men are high enough and beyond the reach of ordinary cockers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lucasemerson View Post

Lucas
    Yes sir that's exactly right . Its what a man does with them after he gets them is where the ball usually gets dropped.
    Knew some guys back in early 90s got some brood fowl from Jimmy East . Couple trios of each Hatch and Kelso. They were really good feeders and first couple years dominated most places they went. Then after a few years they started winning less on account of poor breeding practices claimed they were bred out. Don't want to offend anyone here but I don't think you can keep a good family going by throwing 4 or 5 hens in one pen and think that's going to improve or even maintain what you originally got.

16. Thanks LaBlue thanked for this post
    Likes LaBlue, hoghunterdave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been around a long time and seen many cockers come and go. A few have hit on a good nick and were hot until they lost the cock or. Hens that were making the good ones. Some I've known were cockers their entire life and never won over a derby every year or two. Most avid cockers are good at one or two parts of cocking. And to me the parts are- breeding, raising, conditioning & pointing, and handling. A few can fit the whole bill. Partners are good to have but hard to stay with. Selection is the key to success. Mike Rattliff had us put that on the second page of our note book when I was at his school and he was/is so right. Good breeders select the best fowl. Good raisers cull out defects. Good feeders cull out inferior cocks or stags. I still think breeding is the most important. A good breeder could go to most cockers farm and pick a couple trios and would be competitive right away. Most average cockers it would be a hit or miss thing that probably wouldn't last to long. And then many would be talking bad about the poor fowl they recieved from old Joe blow. just my thoughts on the subject of receiving good fowl.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been around a long time and seen many cockers come and go. A few have hit on a good nick and were hot until they lost the cock or. Hens that were making the good ones. Some I've known were cockers their entire life and never won over a derby every year or two. Most avid cockers are good at one or two parts of cocking. And to me the parts are- breeding, raising, conditioning & pointing, and handling. A few can fit the whole bill. Partners are good to have but hard to stay with. Selection is the key to success. Mike Rattliff had us put that on the second page of our note book when I was at his school and he was/is so right. Good breeders select the best fowl. Good raisers cull out defects. Good feeders cull out inferior cocks or stags. I still think breeding is the most important. A good breeder could go to most cockers farm and pick a couple trios and would be competitive right away. Most average cockers it would be a hit or miss thing that probably wouldn't last to long. And then many would be talking bad about the poor fowl they recieved from old Joe blow. just my thoughts on the subject of receiving good fowl.

So true , there are many boxes to check before a cock/hen gets into a brood pen ... Some don't know how many there are or toss a favorite in that hasn't checked em all ... And most of us just dont even have anything that level but still like raising

Post Thanks / Like

That's a fine post . I agree with everything you said there. I was taught from an early age about the importance of a proven hen . What does surprise me is that some of the same people I grew up around telling me how the stags got their fighting style from their momma etc etc and how the hens are the most important of all. You could turn round and look and they would have like 4 or 5 hens in with one cock. When ask they would brag on how many the rooster had won. LOL, I guess they considered all the hens to be the GOLDEN hen everyone looks for. I mean really, Im not knocking anyones breeding methods at all, Ive flock mated but I prefer single mating . Its the only way I know of other than trap nests to know where you best hens are. Once you find them its best to get all you can from them and not let anything happen to them for sure. I never had the chance to go to Ratliffs school but did have the dvd and really liked and learned a lot about selection and breeding. Probably learned more in that area than I did from the conditioning part.

20. Thanks LaBlue, john yates thanked for this post
    Likes LaBlue, Nauvoo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by don128 View Post
    I agree with that, but what I meant is if fowl are placing those heels, that is what you can see. Then its just style. I would breed these type fowl, then you can put your touch on them, but if they are not placing the heel, then they are not to spend time on. I just always thought it easy to tell. Maybe not everyone can but it is pretty obvious in this game. The very most important thing has to be known, or you cull a good family or feed bad fowl a couple three year..jmo
    This reminded me of a fellow I sent a few blended eggs for his show,,,,,he said that he cant use him for a more competitive affairs that it is lacking in power,,,mosts fowl that hits with their heels seldom pop or crackle their wings when they stretch to hit their target ,,,,a lot are listening not watching their feet on how them heels gets snaped in place of the target,,,,,

22. Likes don128 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

i have explained to a few how to do a few things some listen some dont the ones whom do will tell you and give credit where credit is due... let's get one thing clear we will not be here forever and if we dont teach our younger folks on how to do things the right way then our sport will be lost period doesnt matter if you like it or not its facts.....

24. Thanks LaBlue thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CIGAR View Post
    i have explained to a few how to do a few things some listen some dont the ones whom do will tell you and give credit where credit is due... let's get one thing clear we will not be here forever and if we dont teach our younger folks on how to do things the right way then our sport will be lost period doesnt matter if you like it or not its facts.....
    I agree with you Cigar.

Sent from my LG-M153 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Mr cigar is dead on the money, and I am very grateful for the old timers that mentor me up til this day. I also share what I've learned with the few younger men that are interested in what we do. Pass it on or will be gone forever, especially the round steel.

27. Likes LaBlue liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MONGOOSE View Post
    If your talking P.I. Or Mex. shows you have a good chance of getting good fowl but the longheel forget about it. One or two guys on here and none in the magazines. Most cater to the edged steel.
    I have to agree with you here several years back I wanted to throw a little fresh blood in my Albany I bought several pair from some big names spent a lot of money and waisted a lot of time on a big name perfect knife fowl but no bottom at all and even at a quarter of the new blood still took the bottom out of mine so I decided to leave well enough along. Knife birds are a dime a dozen longheel birds on the other hand well they are out there but getting your hands on the great ones is near impossible