Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Woke up to this!

Post Thanks / Like

Woke up to this!

brood cocks and hens blues, hatches

Sent from my LG-M153 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Woke up to this!

Got a fence and dog to keep other dogs out?

3. Thanks White thai thanked for this post
    Likes KevinG, White thai liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks like dog/dogs got you....

5. Likes RHman1026 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That sucks man. I lost a dozen to a dog a couple seasons ago, and just last month a friend of mine lost 30 corded cocks to a pack of dogs.

A lot of heartbreak in this sport let me tell you.

7. Likes KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I had this happen a few yrs. ago. I found dog owner,it was a neighbor.I made a claim with their home owners Insurance and received full compensation.I had to prove the fowls value so I sent copies of colored adds from the Game Cock! This worked for me,may work for you?

9. Likes danitor, KevinG, lawgreyman14 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry i know your pain this happen to me in the past

Post Thanks / Like

Wow that bites

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for your loss my friend it happens to all of use at some point and time sure some of us can help you out I know I'll probably have more pullets than I'll use a little later in the year.

Post Thanks / Like

That is not fun! I don't have much dog trouble as My Daughters Pit bull will run from people but she will rip the lipps off a dog!

14. Likes KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That's a Horrible feeling, I went through that about 2 seasons ago. Makes you second guess yourself, I almost lost everything..... but think of it as an opportunity to Start Fresh. That's exactly what we did, that and the fact that we took justice into our hands on the owner of the 4 dogs. Don't Give up Partner, let me know how WE can All help U

16. Likes TopNotchfarms, spanky81 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey, whatever you do, don't take justice in your own hands...don't assume you know the dogs that did it based on proximity...remember, having dogs is not against the law whereas depending on your location, that dog owner can cause you a few problems...also, that dog owner could be like me...my dogs are part of my family & anybody that hurt somebody in my family, well, let's just say, that would be a one time mistake...
    Last edited by Bend the knee; April 15th, 2018 at 04:00 AM.

18. Thanks White thai thanked for this post
    Likes Resendiz74 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Dam that sucks man.... a lot hard work and money gone... set a trap for that beast then drop his ass of in a ditch

20. Likes Resendiz74, country, spring creek liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Justice can only go so far but remember revenge is a Dish best Served Cold. Here in my county we have the Right to defend our livestock against Varmint. Owners who don't pay mind to there pets and let them run around carelessly, well then to me those So called Pets are Varmints.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hidalgo View Post
    Justice can only go so far but remember revenge is a Dish best Served Cold. Here in my county we have the Right to defend our livestock against Varmint. Owners who don't pay mind to there pets and let them run around carelessly, well then to me those So called Pets are Varmints.
    Yup exactly I'll be dam if anything comes on my yard and kills all my hard work and blood lines people love there birds

23. Likes spring creek liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If the dog owners think anything of their dogs they wouldn't be lettin em run loose. I'll be damn if somethin comes to my place and kills my chickens and them penned up and me not drop it dead. I'd be hopin and prayin that the dog owner said anything about it too

25. Likes Skincarver, HURON, TopNotchfarms liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Damn bro this hurts my heart. I know the feeling, my Madigan Claret trio got attacked by a pitbull while they were sitting on full clutches & they were my first good bloodline. Thank goodness I bred the rooster to my Ray Price Black hen & raised a stag & a pullet. I cocked him out & he died after winning his 4th fight. Lol thank goodness I bred him back to his momma after his 1st fight & was only able to raise a pullet that I bred him to after his 3rd fight (he won 2 on the same day). Out of that I was only able to raise a stag & a pullet again. Which is now my Black broodcock & broodhen because guess what, the original Ray Price Black hen & daughter got killed by the same pitbull. Its my brothers dog lol we still have that a$$h013 but he hasnt killed any for the last 4 years. & I cant do nothing about it because Im close with my brother & he doesn’t wanna get rid og his dog so he chained him up in his kennel. Anyways bro, I hope you recover, I swear it happens to everyone at least once. This is why Im making broodstock before battle crosses.

27. Likes LaBlue liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I buy a great Pyrenees and problem solved no more losses i don't even need a fence anymore 2 pitbulls of the naibor come loose one time and my dogs tear them down

29. Likes trueedge liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Burgos View Post
    I buy a great Pyrenees and problem solved no more losses i don't even need a fence anymore 2 pitbulls of the naibor come loose one time and my dogs tear them down
    I agree with this, you need a vieuw big dogs to keep the other dogs away from your property.

Post Thanks / Like

every yard needs a fence and still needs a good dog will not lose a feather........ sorry for you loses....

Post Thanks / Like

Aaaaarrrrrgghhhhh!!!! That's horrible man. Get a good rednose pit puppy and raise him around birds, like he's a bird not a dog. You won't regret it. My ol Rufus kills anything and everything that's come for chicken, best chicken dog ever

33. Likes Skincarver, KevinG, E.Mullen liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I know that feeling all to well man. I lost over 40 something the day before thanksgiving 2016. My luck would have it the owner of the dogs was an old crack head lady, couldn't get any compensation. I left it be.

Post Thanks / Like

a roll of fence and some poles is cheaper than waking up to dead birds its a little work however worth every penny 2X4 welded wire runs $80 a 100 foot on sale just catch it t-post most time people have them laying around will give away so a lot of times it comes down the the other thing that many have that dont realize like the funny bone called lazy..... i have brain disease and i just put another 3 acs on to my yard with help of my son n law bought 4 rolls of fence and had get 10 bags of concrete for H post to nail the ends too... i use 2X4 to keep small animals out however they sell cattle fence 330 foot sometimes at good price if a man wants to raise chickens better get a fence or when one wakes up to a mess then only 1 person to blame yourself and let me tell you just because you have fence that will not keep coyotes out or bobcats so that's why you need a dog... my early days no dog with a fence one night they got me for about 50 cocks i was sick for a week... lesson learned...

36. Likes danitor, CA whitetoppy06, E.Mullen liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CIGAR View Post
    a roll of fence and some poles is cheaper than waking up to dead birds its a little work however worth every penny 2X4 welded wire runs $80 a 100 foot on sale just catch it t-post most time people have them laying around will give away so a lot of times it comes down the the other thing that many have that dont realize like the funny bone called lazy..... i have brain disease and i just put another 3 acs on to my yard with help of my son n law bought 4 rolls of fence and had get 10 bags of concrete for H post to nail the ends too... i use 2X4 to keep small animals out however they sell cattle fence 330 foot sometimes at good price if a man wants to raise chickens better get a fence or when one wakes up to a mess then only 1 person to blame yourself and let me tell you just because you have fence that will not keep coyotes out or bobcats so that's why you need a dog... my early days no dog with a fence one night they got me for about 50 cocks i was sick for a week... lesson learned...
    you can find chain link and posts on craigslist for the price of pulling it up sometimes. Don’t get much cheaper than that, even if it’s a little rough, it’s better than nothing. Cigar, y’all should grab rolls of 2x4 if you’re ever passing thru here, we can get it for a bit better than that.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry My Friend...
    This happened to me several years ago, I had sixty five of the best sweater/kelso stags that I have ever raised, on cords, an old gal down the street had seventy rescue dogs living in the house with her, seen the sheriff at her place one day, stopped to inquire about her insurance, the sheriff almost locked me up for harassment because I was on her property, she was hooked up with the city taking their rescue dogs. I took her to court, the lawyers said I needed to build a seven foot fence to keep her dogs out, I did get some compensation, not enough to ever cover feed bill.. It ended up that was my fault that the dogs killed my gamefowl, what a country we live in today... Thanks for your time.

Bert Worth

Post Thanks / Like

PS to the post I just made..
    I had a four foot fence around my yard, the dog that killed all my fowl could climb a fence faster than I can, but I had no dog for protection, needless to say I did get a yard dog... The lawyers said it was my place to build a fence to keep her dogs out, I lost sixty nice stags two years hard work, and all the feed I was out.

Post Thanks / Like

I lost over 50 to 2 pit bulls.I have 4ft fence with electric wire around it.I was at work I guess they wouldn't quit until they got in.We caught the dogs in the act when we got home. They got rid of their dogs.

Post Thanks / Like

I do have fence all around a 5 foot fence on one whole side with spikes, on another 8 foot, but on the side with the door don't have spikes cause of my children they like to go in there. Dogs ripped 24 fence off the poles. Yes i do have to start over the clarets which where my brothers can't get those back for sure, the blues either had been working on those for a few years had them where wanted. They only left me 1 brood cock he was in a fly pen.

Post Thanks / Like

I had shot a bunch of dogs before, had warned everybody around this area and posted on fb if seen any on the property they'd be dead and placed on there front porch. They didn't think much of it guess but they never got anymore dogs after that. Its the new people around here.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrdzhdz View Post
    I had shot a bunch of dogs before, had warned everybody around this area and posted on fb if seen any on the property they'd be dead and placed on their front porch. They didn't think much of it guess, but they never got anymore dogs after that. It's the new people around here.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for your words and suggestions. And to those who offered some fowl thanks for being a friend in sport. God bless