Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Woke up to this!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Woke up to this!

We are a licensed farm so can shoot anything destroying livestock.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BostonMurphy View Post

Try that in California...you shoot an animal (especially a dog) & you get reported...your business will be boycotted & you are probably going to jail...you shoot one of my dogs...you go in a hole.
    Last edited by Bend the knee; April 16th, 2018 at 07:33 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BostonMurphy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bend the knee View Post
    Try that in California...you shoot an animal (especially a dog) & you get reported...your business will be boycotted & you are probably going to jail...you shoot one of my dogs...you go in a hole.
    If it is your livestock that have gotten destroyed by your neighbor's dog or dogs, what are you gonna do buddy? Tell us the best way to deal with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by trans13 View Post
    If it is your livestock that have gotten destroyed by your neighbor's dog or dogs, what are you gonna do buddy? Tell us the best way to deal with it.
    You call the Sheriff, make a report & let the Sheriff go & deal with it...then you file a claim against the the owner of the dogs & sue him or her...this is not the wild West, you can't just do what you want...

Post Thanks / Like

You call the Sheriff, make a report & let the Sheriff go & deal with it...then you file a claim against the the owner of the dogs & sue him or her...this is not the wild West, you can't just do what you want...
    There you go! That is much, much better way of saying it! ... Compare this new one to the previous one...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by trans13 View Post
    There you go! That is much, much better way of saying it! ... Compare this new one to the previous one...
    Both are true! Anybody shoots one of my dogs...it ends badly for you...if you had children & somebody shot your child...what would you do? My dogs are family to me...I can guarantee you I take better care of them than most people take care of their children.

Post Thanks / Like

Both are true! Anybody shoots one of my dogs...it ends badly for you...if you had children & somebody shot your child...what would you do? My dogs are family to me...I can guarantee you I take better care of them than most people take care of their children.
    You still don't get my point buddy, but it is ok. I don't want to hijack somebody else's thread.

Post Thanks / Like

Kill the dog. If someone thinks you killed their fur baby do the world a favor and dispose of them too.

9. Likes Bama71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A man has a right to kill a dog that is on his property killing or harming his livestock.

Even in California!

If my dog got loose and killed a neighbors fowl. I'd kill the dog, if he didn't.

Men that compare dogs to children worry me. Seems that would be coming from a woman that has never had a child. Not a man that owns gamefowl.
    It's hard to tell anymore!
    Last edited by BackNBlack; April 16th, 2018 at 09:58 AM.

11. Thanks Skincarver thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If your dogs came to my place and killed my fowl and them at home i guess I'd have to take my chances of goin in that so called hole cuz they'd never live to kill another. Like ole Doc Holiday said, I guess I'll be your huckleberry; say when! Lol

Post Thanks / Like

I'm just trying to figure out here why the neighbor ever has to know what happened to his unrestrained chicken killing dog. Dog disappears. Where he goes nobody knows.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BackNBlack View Post
    A man has a right to kill a dog that is on his property killing or harming his livestock.

Even in California!

If my dog got loose and killed a neighbors fowl. I'd kill the dog, if he didn't.

Men that compare dogs to children worry me. Seems like that would be coming from a woman that has never had a child. Not a man that owns gamefowl.
    It's hard to tell anymore!
    Why do men worry you? Are you conflicted with your sexuality? Only time I saw a thought process like yours it was from a person with special needs...my dogs are pure AKC Border Collies not some stray you found on the road...my 2 original females had 1 litter each...one had 8 pups & the other had 6....both lived to almost 14 years...I use to have 7...now down to two 12 year olds...the pups I sold went for more than 10 times what your best brood cock would sell for...I just spent about $5,000 on one of them because she had cancer in her leg & it had to be amputated...sutures came out wed & she is running all over the yard on 3 legs....like I said, I take better care of my dogs than most people take care of their kids...
    Last edited by Bend the knee; April 16th, 2018 at 10:14 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Why do men worry you? Are you conflicted with your sexuality? Only time I saw a thought process like yours it was from a person with special needs...my dogs are pure AKC Border Collies not some stray you found on the road...my 2 original females had 1 litter each...one had 8 pups & the other had 6....both lived to almost 14 years...I use to have 7...now down to two 12 year olds...the pups I sold went for more than 10 times what your best brood cock would sell for...I just spent about $5,000 on one of them because she had cancer in her leg...sutures came out wed & she is running all over the yard....like I said, I take better care of my dogs than most people take care of their kids...
    I can relate how you feel about your dogs. I've had a few of the best dogs a cocker could ever want. I live in the woods and I never had a fence. I had a male and a female Catahoulla. They would kill any bar it that come with in a couple hundred yards of my birds. If they couldn't catch it they'd tree all night long. The female would be at the tree and the male would come get me when daylight got here. When they were 14 a pack of coyotes killed several cocks. That's the first bird I'd lost in the whole time I had them. They were old and tired and started to stink. I got my rifle and shovel and loaded them in the truck. Took them down by the bayou and shot them both. It was the hardest thing I've ever done in my life. I cried like a baby. No one seen me. They were just dogs just as my favorite cock was just a chicken. Nothing in the world compares to a great dog though.

16. Thanks Bend the knee thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Had a hen with 10 chicks in a cage with wire sides,roof and floor...tear the wire up getting in...all dead...I am going electric

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LaBlue View Post
    I can relate how you feel about your dogs. I've had a few of the best dogs a cocker could ever want. I live in the woods and I never had a fence. I had a male and a female Catahoulla. They would kill any bar it that come with in a couple hundred yards of my birds. If they couldn't catch it they'd tree all night long. The female would be at the tree and the male would come get me when daylight got here. When they were 14 a pack of coyotes killed several cocks. That's the first bird I'd lost in the whole time I had them. They were old and tired and started to stink. I got my rifle and shovel and loaded them in the truck. Took them down by the bayou and shot them both. It was the hardest thing I've ever done in my life. I cried like a baby. No one seen me. They were just dogs just as my favorite cock was just a chicken. Nothing in the world compares to a great dog though.
    Been There...Done That....I've had Tremendous German Shepherds that when they get old...They start dragging their hind legs around behind them....I can only take that for so long....It definitely takes a chunk out of your heart...Kahuna..

19. Likes LaBlue, hoghunterdave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Why do men worry you? Are you conflicted with your sexuality? Only time I saw a thought process like yours it was from a person with special needs...my dogs are pure AKC Border Collies not some stray you found on the road...my 2 original females had 1 litter each...one had 8 pups & the other had 6....both lived to almost 14 years...I use to have 7...now down to two 12 year olds...the pups I sold went for more than 10 times what your best brood cock would sell for...I just spent about $5,000 on one of them because she had cancer in her leg & it had to be amputated...sutures came out wed & she is running all over the yard on 3 legs....like I said, I take better care of my dogs than most people take care of their kids...
    I get your point. You just missed mine.

I have a dog that I care for a great deal and I've put a lot of money into him too. But if he killed chickens he would be getting dealt with.
    It would hurt... but nothing like loosing a kid.

20 years ago I raised Chows. They never bothered my fowl before, then one day I came home from work and the bitch and two pups desided to kill almost every bird on my yard.
    They were so proud of themselves and thought I'd be proud of them too.
    It hurt but I was a man and dealt with them.

21. Likes Bama71, spring creek liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Apparently you think it is the wild west when you want to shoot someone over a dog. Personally I wish they would ship all dogs running loose to North Korea. Those people are starving and I am tired of seeing unrestrained animals. You can go to North Korea too and take your dogs with you.

23. Likes Skincarver, hoghunterdave, Bama71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Im not going to start a pissing match cause frankly your have your opinion and I have mine but. You can’t buy my broodstock for 5000 or 100000 cause that’s how much I think of them a man has a God given right to protect hearth and home. I’m just an ole hillbilly but if most people felt that way they wouldn’t be as much as wrong with the world. I’m just saying a lot of people feel the same about their gamefowl as you do about your dogs. Frankly I feel that way about both lol. God bless I had it happen about I had them kill everything I had on tie cord sent the dog to meet Jesus and buried the dog. Like I said hearth and home.Also I have 3 boys and 1 girl and I’m very close to all 4 but the last two boys one was in incubator for two weeks the other one a month we about lost both. I promise you it’s nothing like almost losing a child. It will break you watching them struggle to survive and nothing you can do. So I promise there is no comparison.
    Last edited by Bama71; April 16th, 2018 at 07:25 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

NoRe: Woke up to this!

A question, when your dog came in my garden and kill 20 off my golden roosters do you pay me or not???

Post Thanks / Like

Your head knows it's just a dog , but your heart don't ... I live in an area where folks dump alot of dogs and there are more packs of dogs that make the rounds mid morning after everyone is off to school and work than you'd ever believe . I have a hot wire and pens made of cattle panel with more steel rod between ... but I built a pretty good scarecrow that seems to do more for hawks and dogs than anything . I used an old welding helmet and glued several sets of eyes to it and it also spins with the wind . I move it around and seems to work.

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve always liked the saying “God gave us 2 ears and 1 mouth, so we should listen twice as much as we speak”. If you listen long enough, ppl will tell you just where their heart and mind really is.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: NoRe: Woke up to this!

Quote Originally Posted by White thai View Post
    A question, when your dog came in my garden and kill 20 off my golden roosters do you pay me or not???
    Of course but, my dogs have never been off of my property without me so it would not happen...also, they have not hurt my chickens so they know better...Border Collies are used on ranches to move animals (cows, sheep ect) so, it is unlikely a Border Collie would hurt a chicken....also, in CA, they will cite you for having chickens on tie cords. Animal Control will come on your property to try to get you for Animal Cruelty.
    Last edited by Bend the knee; April 16th, 2018 at 11:43 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bama71 View Post
    Im not going to start a pissing match cause frankly your have your opinion and I have mine but. You can’t buy my broodstock for 5000 or 100000 cause that’s how much I think of them a man has a God given right to protect hearth and home. I’m just an ole hillbilly but if most people felt that way they wouldn’t be as much as wrong with the world. I’m just saying a lot of people feel the same about their gamefowl as you do about your dogs. Frankly I feel that way about both lol. God bless I had it happen about I had them kill everything I had on tie cord sent the dog to meet Jesus and buried the dog. Like I said hearth and home.Also I have 3 boys and 1 girl and I’m very close to all 4 but the last two boys one was in incubator for two weeks the other one a month we about lost both. I promise you it’s nothing like almost losing a child. It will break you watching them struggle to survive and nothing you can do. So I promise there is no comparison.
    I understand, but my whole point was to tell the guy that started this thread not to overreact & take matters into his own hands & not to assume that the neighbor's dog did it just because of proximity...I also said some people (like me) consider their dogs as part of their family & shooting part of somebody's family may have serious ramifications. All true...I also said that I take better care of my dogs that most people take care of the children (just watch the news any night of the week) also, I did not say better than "everyone" takes care of their kids (I said most) & I did not say my dogs are worth 10 times your brood cock...I was specifically talking to the member I replied to...
    Last edited by Bend the knee; April 16th, 2018 at 11:07 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I live in a state that has a leash law, so if I let my dog run off my property I am responsible for anything he does by law. For example, if he gets hit by an automobile I am responsible for all damages or injury. When he is off my property he is at risk of being shot just like a criminal. I know this upfront before I even get a dog. So if I consider my dog a part of the family me as a good dog owner will keep him on my property.
    I live in rural America and acquired new neighbors a couple hundred yards from me. They had two weimaraner dogs in a kennel. When I went to feed with a flashlight one morning before going to work the dogs met me from the inside of the chicken yard. They appeared at my flashlight all at once startling me. The neighbors decided to let them run loose or they escaped one night. So they paid me a visit smashing and tearing into all 12 of my dome pens killing over a dozen of my birds. I ran the dogs off and called the neighbors and explained the laws in this area and told them if the dogs came back to kill then the dogs would be killed.(Legal in my state) They kept their dogs under control after that.
    I had a yard dog to be killed for trespassing. He followed a bitch in heat off my property and was shot 50 yards from my front door. The wife called the Sheriffs department because our dog returned home dieing from a shotgun blast to the rib cage. A deputy and animal control came out. Long conversation short. Their has been no laws broken and we are sorry for your lose.
    Last edited by rogeroleo; April 17th, 2018 at 12:49 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rogeroleo View Post
    I live in a state that has a leash law, so if I let my dog run off my property I am responsible for anything he does by law. For example, if he gets hit by an automobile I am responsible for all damages or injury. When he is off my property he is at risk of being shot just like a criminal. I know this upfront before I even get a dog. So if I consider my dog a part of the family me as a good dog owner will keep him on my property.
    I live in rural America and acquired new neighbors a couple hundred yards from me. They had two weimaraner dogs in a kennel. When I went to feed with a flashlight one morning before going to work the dogs met me from the inside of the chicken yard. They appeared at my flashlight all at once startling me. The neighbors decided to let them run loose or they escaped one night. So they paid me a visit smashing and tearing into all 12 of my dome pens killing over a dozen of my birds. I ran the dogs off and called the neighbors and explained the laws in this area and told them if the dogs came back to kill then the dogs would be killed.(Legal in my state) They kept their dogs under control after that.
    I had a yard dog to be killed for trespassing. He followed a bitch in heat off my property and was shot 50 yards from my front door. The wife called the Sheriffs department because our dog returned home dieing from a shotgun blast to the rib cage. A deputy and animal control came out. Long conversation short. Their has been no laws broken and we are sorry for your lose.
    As many of you guys know California is quite different than other states...if you kill a dog & have a business, the animal lovers will bury you, you will have protesters picket you right out of business....you will see a crying child on tv telling the reporter "that mean man killed my only friend." In CA, the last thing you want is Animal Control or the Sheriff watching your every move...so, after they run you out of business, out of of town & out of the state...you can ask yourself if it was all worth it to kill the dog.
    Last edited by Bend the knee; April 17th, 2018 at 01:34 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

First off a good fence and a good dog and you don't have to worry about what your gonna do. Next is the most important step when this happens. You kill the dog. You must be able to shoot and kill so the dog dosent get away wounded. Then you load him in your car and take him about 10 miles away and get rid of the body where no one will find it right off. Then you go home and go about your business. If they come and ask if you had seen there dog you say oh the black one? He used to come over right before chores and I would give him a dog biscuit. He was real friendly never hurt nothing here. I will keep my eyes open if I see him I will bring him home to you. Why you ask? Because then the problem is over. Wont happen again. There not going to pay you what your fowl are worth. All it will do is cause animosity between you and your neighbor. Having a pissed off neighbor when you have gamefowl is not a smart way to go. Get a fence up and a good dog. Every good lesson costs you something.

Post Thanks / Like

As many of you guys know California is quite different than other states...if you kill a dog & have a business, the animal lovers will bury you, you will have protesters picket you right out of business....you will see a crying child on tv telling the reporter "that mean man killed my only friend." In CA, the last thing you want is Animal Control or the Sheriff watching your every move...so, after they run you out of business, out of of town & out of the state...you can ask yourself if it was all worth it to kill the dog.
    Bend the knee. I think you would have to ask yourself why do I live in such a state.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by southernX View Post
    Bend the knee. I think you would have to ask yourself why do I live in such a state.
    Lol exactly...............

Lucas

Post Thanks / Like

When you own a dog you are responsible for it. If it gets killed for destroying someone's livestock its your fault. Not the dogs and certainly not the one who is protecting their property.
    This doesn't change because you live in the land of fruits and nuts.

36. Likes KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by southernx View Post
    first off a good fence and a good dog and you don't have to worry about what your gonna do. Next is the most important step when this happens. You kill the dog. You must be able to shoot and kill so the dog dosent get away wounded. Then you load him in your car and take him about 10 miles away and get rid of the body where no one will find it right off. Then you go home and go about your business. If they come and ask if you had seen there dog you say oh the black one? He used to come over right before chores and i would give him a dog biscuit. He was real friendly never hurt nothing here. I will keep my eyes open if i see him i will bring him home to you. Why you ask? Because then the problem is over. Wont happen again. There not going to pay you what your fowl are worth. All it will do is cause animosity between you and your neighbor. Having a pissed off neighbor when you have gamefowl is not a smart way to go. Get a fence up and a good dog. Every good lesson costs you something.
    done it both ways this is the best even though here you can and will win what they are worth in court put up with a angry neibor three years for killing his dog called everone on me ps there was a reward on the guy that put two 22 bullets in a dog that got away lol

38. Likes CA whitetoppy06 liked this post