Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vaccines necessary or not

Post Thanks / Like

Vaccines necessary or not ?

How is your vaccine program? In what age do you start to vaccinate? For What you recommend vaccinating first? Do you consider necessary to vaccinate?
    Last edited by FALE; May 15th, 2018 at 12:40 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Vaccines necessary or not ?

This is very dependent on location. Use the search bar much of this has been discussed.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Vaccines necessary or not

Yes, this depends on your area. Consult a local vet.

I now vaccinate against everything. I wanted to go the no-vacc route but I was losing way too many, and some of the leftovers would be sickly.

4. Likes Al Sanchez, Quapaw Kid liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Only Vaccine I give is the Fowl Pox vaccine to my chicks at 6 weeks of age..

6. Likes CA whitetoppy06 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

what about Newcastle vaccine?

Post Thanks / Like

I vaccinate for nothing. But there is nothing in my area prevalent to vaccinate for.

Post Thanks / Like

I’d rather my birds build up their own immunity over the years but if you have a problem with something than you better get a vet diagnostics and treat accordingly.. atleast that’s my thinking don’t try treating unless you know what it is your treating.

once you start a vaccine you will have to vaccinate every year..

either way both ways have worked for others.. what will work for you?

10. Likes Skincarver, RLaurent14 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I do not vaccinate. I only know 5 men in my area with Gamefowl. None vaccinate.

12. Likes RLaurent14 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You could visit guys that do and dont .. Both say their flock is healthy and walk away disgusted . I'm vaccinated , my family is and dog is ... Natural immunity is more hoax than fact ... And anything of value is .

You could have the healthiest , most immune fowl ever and never win a derby with them ... Get winners first and use the money to experiment ...

Post Thanks / Like

I always thought going natural was the way to go but there are places where there are just too many diseases and you just have too. A lot of people don’t realize that some diseases weaken your fowl to get other diseases they wouldn’t normally get.
    I still don’t need to vaccinate. I live in a very dry area.

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure it's even possible to get some good fowl and then decide that whatever diseases they get , you are gonna let them die and see if any survive and then breed them ... none may survive , the ones that do may not even reproduce it or actually be immune and just on and on .

There are folks that get by without vaccinating ... but the " why" could be any number of reasons , not just the one we pick that sounds good . I vaccinate high dollar dogs I buy and their pups if they are good , I'm not into roosters or hounds to build a disease resistant strain for no reason ...

Post Thanks / Like

When buying broodfowl or any fowl to bring onto your yard shouldn't the breeder tell or buyer ask what vaccines are being used and why? As with marecks. Especially if the breeder has had problems and his birds could be carriers? Could be a factor if one would buy from a breeder or not. A friend and I swap fowl neither vaccinate for anything.

17. Likes Al Sanchez liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I noticed if you buy chicks from the big companies that sell egg layers. ALL ARE VACCINATED FOR MERIKS. There must be a reason.

Post Thanks / Like

It might be more prevalent in the layer flocks. I get Mariks about one time every other year. I also hatch sporadically so vaccinating would be a pain in the arse. But, If I lived in an area that was susceptible to certain diseases then it would be a no brainer. I would be vaccinating.

20. Likes Al Sanchez liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You must vaccinate for Merics if you ship.

Post Thanks / Like

All birds will be exposed to mareks because of the wild birds. If you vacc. For marek's with-in 24 hr.s of hatching you will eliminate the tumors on the liver, kidneys , testes , spleen and lungs ( don't forget about this when in trouble in the drag ). You should only vacc. For the problems in your area . I once vacc. For anything that was offered . That was a mistake because my birds had shorter life spans and they developed tumors at the vacc. Site. You might consider special vacc. Before you ship off the mainland ( pox,ect ).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hoghunterdave View Post
    You must vaccinate for Merics if you ship.

Ive never heard or ran into this. I know if you ship to Texas or North Carolina plus a few other states you must be checked and have paper work for AI. Never heard of having to for merics. Where is this written?

Post Thanks / Like

I know some areas have alot of problems, mostly hot wet enviroments. I live in cold country so I just use medicated chick starter, then a good wormer 'valbazen'. I keep sulmet around but dont use much, I also use tylan when I hear a cough. If you puchase alot of fowl then you would need more in my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

Don same here. It's a bit warmer but cocci. Is about all I worry about. Non of mine are vaccinated. Never have been. All healthy as a horse here. Maybe not so much in the tropics.

26. Likes don128, roostercm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by southernX View Post
    Ive never heard or ran into this. I know if you ship to Texas or North Carolina plus a few other states you must be checked and have paper work for AI. Never heard of having to for merics. Where is this written?
    Sorry for the confusion. For over seas. I don't sell or ship so info is second hand.
    One other thing I seen was a notice from Jeffers if you order chick's you should check into this. I have never even heard of a leaky vaccine until today.

Post Thanks / Like

Nope, don't need it to ship over seas. When they get to the PI most hit them with Pox and coriza, and new castle but that's it.

29. Thanks hoghunterdave thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I used to vaccinate for marek's but caused more problems than it helped here and was advised by my local diagnostic lab there is no need for vaccinating for it in our area. Most people that import fowl into either Philippines or Mexico know they will need to vaccinate the birds once they arrive for anything they commonly vaccinate for on their farm. Philippines especially since its a tropical climate. Warm and wet almost year around its like raising fowl in a petri dish, perfect environment for bacteria and viruses to flourish. For people that may not have imported a lot before, I try to always recommend them to vaccinate as soon as fowl arrive and keep in separate area from their other fowl until vaccine regiment is completed. Also a good time to gradually introduce new fowl to the local water, it can affect them the same way it affects us when we travel abroad and drink the local water.

31. Likes don128, catfish1947 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello jay,
    i never heard of problems vacc. With marek,s. So, what kind of problems did you have ? Regardless , it is always what works best for you.

Post Thanks / Like

one year I had a bunch get sick and die on me around 5 or 6 months old and couldn't figure out what was causing it so I took a couple over to the diagnostic lab and sent some of my feed off for analysis in case it was something in it but the feed was clean. They ran a complete diagnostics on the chickens and sent biopsies of some of the organs off to Georgia for testing. At the end of all of that, it ended up being a bad batch of mareks vaccine that gave some of my birds what the called avian leucosis. According to them they use some of the proteins of the avian leucosis disease that are supposed to killed and put in the marek's vaccine since that virus is closely related to Marek's and will cause the vaccinated chicks to develop immunity to both viruses. According to University of Georgia lab, They had several cases reported at about the same time and had traced it back to a batch of the vaccine where the virus had not been killed properly. I have also noticed since I quit vaccinating, I have had a lot fewer light eyes in my American fowl than before. I believe, although I cant prove it, that the vaccine was causing several of the light eyes. So at the end of all the testing I asked the Dr. that runs our local state poultry diagnostics lab what he recommended I do. He said around my area there is really no need to vaccinate so he would suggest not vaccinating for Mareks and just tell people who buy that live in areas where Mareks is more wide spread to vaccinate when the fowl arrive but the most important thing was to keep a foot bath at my gate and have any visitors step in a solution of farm disinfectant before entering and that would keep most diseases from spreading.
    Last edited by springwater; May 20th, 2018 at 03:46 AM.

34. Thanks LaBlue thanked for this post
    Likes don128, LaBlue liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Quapaw Kid View Post
    You could visit guys that do and dont .. Both say their flock is healthy and walk away disgusted . I'm vaccinated , my family is and dog is ... Natural immunity is more hoax than fact ... And anything of value is .

You could have the healthiest , most immune fowl ever and never win a derby with them ... Get winners first and use the money to experiment ...
    Well I have never taken a flu shot in my life. The last time I was sick was 6 years ago. My daughters is 14 my son is 12. They have never had a flue shot in there life. They hardly get sick. Cancer and Altimers is running rampant in this country. Why? We poison our body’s with all of mans so called remedies. Aspirin coff medicin your sick take this pill. We are killing our selves. A hundred years ago there was under 10% of altimers and cancer. Healthy eating is all the King James Bible talks about. Figs, grapes, venison milk Jesus is smarter than man

Post Thanks / Like

I agree BM. But vaccinating have saved thousand and thousand of lifes. You and your children are safe and healthy but I'll bet all of y'all have had your vaccinations for many diseases. I love the lord and I pray to him dally. I thank him for protecting me from diseases. If thank him for everything. Polio and many other viruses have been eradicated from getting shots.

37. Likes Skincarver, hoghunterdave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bostonmurphy View Post
    well i have never taken a flu shot in my life. The last time i was sick was 6 years ago. My daughters is 14 my son is 12. They have never had a flue shot in there life. They hardly get sick. Cancer and altimers is running rampant in this country. Why? We poison our body’s with all of mans so called remedies. Aspirin coff medicin your sick take this pill. We are killing our selves. A hundred years ago there was under 10% of altimers and cancer. Healthy eating is all the king james bible talks about. Figs, grapes, venison milk jesus is smarter than man
    it is believed that some vacc. Can cause cancer later in life. I would rather be vaccinated and hopefully live to an old age and then worry about cancer , ect.

Post Thanks / Like

Vaccines are not all created equal. Because of this thread and my passing on some misinformation I started some research. I referred to as leaky vaccine above it means that the vaccinated may still be a carrier of the disease. In the case of mareks it's a leaky vaccine. Recent research shows that birds infected by vaccinated carriers are dead within 10 days 100 percent mortality in 10 days. Also the rate of transmission from vaccinated birds is greater. The vaccine for the first time in history seems to be making a super bug. Check out the article. I found it on Jeffers site by just looking for mareks vaccine. Its an eye opener.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hoghunterdave View Post
    Vaccines are not all created equal. Because of this thread and my passing on some misinformation I started some research. I referred to as leaky vaccine above it means that the vaccinated may still be a carrier of the disease. In the case of mareks it's a leaky vaccine. Recent research shows that birds infected by vaccinated carriers are dead within 10 days 100 percent mortality in 10 days. Also the rate of transmission from vaccinated birds is greater. The vaccine for the first time in history seems to be making a super bug. Check out the article. I found it on Jeffers site by just looking for mareks vaccine. Its an eye opener.
    Some vaccines use a weakened bacteria, so yes it’s intentional. Others don’t use a live bacteria. Vaccines used for humans are really very necessary except for the flu vaccine. It’s a guess on what flu will be around “next year”.

Post Thanks / Like

I think if you have a very active disease on your dirt a vaccine is necessary if you want to have birds. It isn’t necessary in certain places.