Thread: GAFF MAKING

Post Thanks / Like

GAFF MAKING

My uncle was excellent custom hand made knife maker , hunting knives pocket knives , most selling for around 1k and up . He got me interested in it in my late teen early 20s . Ive made a few over the years for myself and family but never got interested in making any to sell at any price. He learned metal working from an old blacksmith way before the time of all the tech stuff like Rockwell hardness and all that and went strictly by color.He would always say now this is an old Indian trick an don't be telling everybody this lol.
    But to the point I always wanted to make gaffs from an early age but never had the time to pursue it. Ive started on a couple of LK a time or two and gaff blades but never got around to finishing any of them. Ive got some good idea about made some dies to heat and mold the sockets which isn't covered in the Niteowl Gaff Making DVD . But wondered if there wasn't an easier way. I figure with a hollow piece of tubing steel and a mold of metal made for the one end to slide down into then another metal die on the other side shaped like a back of the socket all set in a press or take to it with an old fashioned hammer add heat till cherry red and press the tubing into shape. Any one know if this is exactly how the sockets are made ( other than the one piece Ive seen how some make those) . By the way, heres a pick of some of my old junky Arts and Crafts made from an old Nicholson file.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: GAFF MAKING

There thin enough they can be cold stamped. If you making a bunch it would be worth it or you had an old press. For just a few you can just drill out the hole and use a band saw and grinder or file.

3. Likes Skincarver liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You can ask Banderado84. I believe he makes LK and American socket. His facebook page is Maximo Baguisa. He used to be here on this site a lot. His homebase is in the Philippines. I believe he makes good LK from supplied materials from abroad.

https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?i...content_filter
    Last edited by Camarines; July 25th, 2018 at 10:56 PM.

5. Thanks Skincarver thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Camarines View Post
    You can ask Banderado84. I believe he makes LK and American socket. His facebook page is Maximo Baguisa. He used to be here on this site a lot. His homebase is in the Philippines. I believe he makes good LK from supplied materials from abroad.

https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?i...content_filter
    Thanks Ill check him out and see if he has any info to add. Its a dying art that needs to be passed on .

Post Thanks / Like

Mad Max on this website knows how to make gaffs, also use search because there's already many thread about this topic.

Post Thanks / Like

Mad Max on this website knows how to make gaffs, also use search because there's already many thread about this topic.
    Yes sir and thanks. Mad Max and I are friends on here and talked quite a bit on the subject a few years back. Hopefully Ill get caught up enough on other things to give it a try sometime . Ive got a good idea of how Ill go about it but making the tool to press or hammer the socket itno shape would be most time consuming but one good thing is it would be a tool that could be used over and over again. I just wanted to see if any other smiths on here had different ways to go about it . Ill be sure and go through all those old threads again though and see if theres anything I can pick up that I might have missed.Thanks

9. Likes Camarines liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Making the sockets in a way you are talking could be done I guess but I never did it that way. So one thing I thought of was to make a form for the socket like this. A nubbin or nipple on one side and an indentation on another piece of steel that fit together loose so as to have room for the steel. Then you would put the steel in hot and hammer it to shape. you would have to cut off a piece of the front to make a hole for the socket. I have made some but I dont really have a "method" I just kinda winged it.

11. Thanks Skincarver thanked for this post
    Likes Camarines liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MAD MAX View Post
    Making the sockets in a way you are talking could be done I guess but I never did it that way. So one thing I thought of was to make a form for the socket like this. A nubbin or nipple on one side and an indentation on another piece of steel that fit together loose so as to have room for the steel. Then you would put the steel in hot and hammer it to shape. you would have to cut off a piece of the front to make a hole for the socket. I have made some but I dont really have a "method" I just kinda winged it.
    Sorry buddy, I didn't see that you had replied on this post.I thought it had just died out. I remember us talking about it a good while back. Yeah what you talking about there was kinda what I had in mind with the two pieces of steel one shaped like the front side of the socket and one shaped like the back side of the socket.Then cutting a short piece of tubing and put it in a vise and put the torch to it while tightening up the vise . Kinda like a cheap way of pressing them. I remember seeing pics of some you made. They were cool. Did you get tired of it? I imagine a fully hand made set is a job. Doing this leatherwork by hand takes time but not even close to working steel by hand.That why I don't make too many knives LOL.

13. Likes Camarines liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Skincarver View Post
    Sorry buddy, I didn't see that you had replied on this post.I thought it had just died out. I remember us talking about it a good while back. Yeah what you talking about there was kinda what I had in mind with the two pieces of steel one shaped like the front side of the socket and one shaped like the back side of the socket.Then cutting a short piece of tubing and put it in a vise and put the torch to it while tightening up the vise . Kinda like a cheap way of pressing them. I remember seeing pics of some you made. They were cool. Did you get tired of it? I imagine a fully hand made set is a job. Doing this leatherwork by hand takes time but not even close to working steel by hand.That why I don't make too many knives LOL.
    What is the inside diameter of the tubing? Is 3/8" or 7/8" good size?

Post Thanks / Like

What is the inside diameter of the tubing? Is 3/8" or 7/8" good size?
    The tubing I picked up was 3/8 but Im afraid its a little too small. Before I try to actually make any sometime Ill probably get inside diameter at 7/16 to 1/2 . One of the best quality looking sockets Ive seen were the Allen Rays and they are just over 1/2 inch outside diameter and inside is just under 1/2 .

16. Likes Camarines liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I always wanted to cast a set in sterling silver, there is a sterling silver that uses platinum gives it plenty strength.

18. Likes Skincarver, Camarines liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well here is a first attempt LK . Its far from finished , hopefully Ill get the time to finish it on out someday soon. Just thought I would share what Ive got so far.
    Last edited by Skincarver; September 14th, 2018 at 01:58 PM.

20. Likes KevinG, spring creek liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
    I always wanted to cast a set in sterling silver, there is a sterling silver that uses platinum gives it plenty strength.
    Probably hard to cast both metals. Platinum has a high melting temperature. Both could be heavy too.

22. Likes small block, RedAngus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have read in the old books where silver heels were used as it was supposedly not as jagged as steel (which is true in the microscope), thus leaving it more to the fowls ability.

Post Thanks / Like

Finally got it figured out how to post a short video of the knife. Hopefully it will play for the ones that care to see it.

Last edited by Skincarver; September 15th, 2018 at 06:58 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Damn skin thats nice I would say ur well on ur way to making collectables nice job

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chickinbug View Post
    Damn skin thats nice I would say ur well on ur way to making collectables nice job
    Thanks man, I appreciate that. Ive always wanted to since I was a boy but just never had tried. I guess one of the reason was I always loved the looks of a good pair of heels and never could afford any back then. I though to myself one day Im gonna learn to make them d**n things and Ill have as many sets as I want lol . But then when I grew up other things came into play and I just never had the time and just bought what I needed. Hopefully Ill be able to have the time and get some more tools to actually try to make gaffs sometime soon . Thanks again Chickinbug
    Last edited by Skincarver; September 15th, 2018 at 07:39 AM.

27. Likes KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What state are you in skincarver?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Skincarver View Post
    Finally got it figured out how to post a short video of the knife. Hopefully it will play for the ones that care to see it.

Heck just learning to post that is a major victory to me lol. Looks good, well underway and hope you keep it going and reach your goal.

SF

30. Thanks Skincarver thanked for this post
    Likes Naturaljack7 liked this post