Thread: Bud McPherson kelso?

Post Thanks / Like

Bud McPherson kelso?

Hey fellas I was just wondering if I could get some input on this line please. Just overall how they were as spur fowl back in the day please. Oh and before someone says it yes I used the search bar and never really found anything pertaining to just this line of kelso. He was mentioned in a few post but nothing really about them. Thanks in advance

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bud McPherson kelso?

Quote Originally Posted by E.Mullen View Post
    Hey fellas I was just wondering if I could get some input on this line please. Just overall how they were as spur fowl back in the day please. Oh and before someone says it yes I used the search bar and never really found anything pertaining to just this line of kelso. He was mentioned in a few post but nothing really about them. Thanks in advance
    Whats up mullens the kelso your talking about, were they white

Post Thanks / Like

What’s up bud and no. I’ve been offered a hen and she’s a buff color yellow legged and sc.

Post Thanks / Like

Ive seen some whites that the guy said was buds but dont know for sure but what ever they were they were really good

5. Likes E.Mullen liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would take her and do a one setting deal. At one time he and Carl had some solid Kelsos from Frank Steele n Ed Garrard, whose Klsos came direct from Walter Kelso's yards. Carl also got some Kelsos that would throw Whites. Bud and Carl never fought the whites but gave them to Tiney Taylor. They showed as well as the Reds. I knew Bud and Carl well s they lived close to me.

7. Likes E.Mullen liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Here is my kelso cock that came direct from my uncle Van. He had them for like 30 or something like that years. They came direct from Johnny jumper. They are extremely rugged fowl with the ability to get you in the fly or go to the drag for 2 hours and never let up! I dont have a hen and am wanting a hen to breed him to to breed back to him. Im gunna give her a try with 1 sitting to see how I like them and how they do and make my mind up from there.

9. Likes Sig1911, Genis, CA whitetoppy06 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Here is my kelso cock that came direct from my uncle Van. He had them for like 30 or something like that years. They came direct from Johnny jumper. They are extremely rugged fowl with the ability to get you in the fly or go to the drag for 2 hours and never let up! I dont have a hen and am wanting a hen to breed him to to breed back to him. Im gunna give her a try with 1 sitting to see how I like them and how they do and make my mind up from there.
    He is a fine looking rooster

11. Thanks E.Mullen thanked for this post
    Likes E.Mullen liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Very nice looking bird, you going to slicklizard?

13. Thanks E.Mullen thanked for this post
    Likes E.Mullen liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you birdderfly and nauvoo! I’d like to but I think I’ll have to work but I’m gunna double check. I’d love to meet some of you fellas and be in good company

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you birdderfly and nauvoo! I’d like to but I think I’ll have to work but I’m gunna double check. I’d love to meet some of you fellas and be in good company
    Holler if you think you’ll make it out. Got someone for you to talk with, might help you, might not, but worth talking to.

Post Thanks / Like

I definitely will bud and thank you

Post Thanks / Like

Your more than welcomed to visit me ,i got some flarry eye greys from a freind they have big tops ,ill post a pic when i get a good one there running lose bout 5 months old they are great lookin staggs but those top are huge

18. Likes E.Mullen liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks man if I make it out in your neck of the woods I’ll make sure to stop by and say hey and check out those tops lol. I’d like to see those bf too

Post Thanks / Like

Pardon the thread necro but I was wondering if Bud was still amongst the living? I never got to meet him but he brought my Grandparents chicks and pullets all the time. Granny had a rooster from him that was mean as a snake and chased me all over the back pasture as a kid. Good times, I'd give anything to do it all over again.

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone know of a good reputable breeder that still has the Bud Mcpherson kelso. The dark red Straight Comb Yellow Legged ones.

Post Thanks / Like

I have lost track of Bud & Carl since I moved to Fl. But do know that Ed Garrard got his original Kelsos from Gilbert Courtis, who was Walter Kelso's breeder, feeder and handler for over 30 yrs. Kelso let him have any fowl he wanted when he left to go to John O. Fowler's to work. Ed got 4 hens and 1 cock from Gilbert. Gilbert eventually carried the others to John O.'s. Jimmy East got them from John O. Ray Alexander got them from Ed. Bud and Carl got them from Ed. Bud & Carl raised quite a few whites out of their's. I saw several as chicks and as cocks. I think the Kelsos Sonny Poe has came from John O. All this first Kelso blood was St. comb/ YL, Stout cocks which were the Out&Outs. John O. later advertised the Peacomb Kelsos but they were different. If I were looking for the Bud blood, the closest I know anything about, I would contact Sonny Poe. He is an honest, honorable man and will tell you the truth. Bud was a drag pit man that preferred his Hatch blood but would show these Kelsos crossed to his Hatch. I think the cocks Bud & Carl showed in LK were these Kelsos but maybe some other Kelso blood bred into them. Not sure.
    Last edited by RHman1026; May 22nd, 2020 at 08:24 PM.

23. Thanks Sig1911, richardself thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sir RHman, if you dont mind telling us more about the garrard fowl, ive read it looked like a dark legged aseel roundhead. My apology to the thread starter for this out of topic question.

Post Thanks / Like

I got acquainted with Mr. Garrard closely starting in 1975. I was a supervisor with Bellsouth in the area that Ed. lived in and occasionally had a little free time during the day and I visited with him almost weekly. I know about the Asil cock he bred but honestly don't think he kept this blood in his fowl very long. Ed seldom went to the fights because of health problems but Bud and Carl partnered with him for a long time. Ed was breeding his Spangled Hatch, H/Kelso and also the Wingates. He gifted me a Murphy hen that was a great producer. I think this hen came from Red R.
    My partner was good friends with Ed also and Ed gifted him with a trio of his best Spangled Hatch. These fowl were 100% pea comb and some of cocks and hens would come red, no spangle. My partner also had his Kelsos. My partner bred The Spangles to the Kelsos and I bred them to my RHs but neither matings worked well. The Spangle broke too high over the other cocks, not reaching down to cut and would sail over and not hit and were a little slow turning for the hit back. These Spangles had a big round body, medium high station. Beautiful cocks but you had to learn to use them. We settled on 1/2 McLean from Harold Brown1/2 Spangle from Ed. My partner fought this family he made and I used this blood over my RHs. Bud knew Frank Steele from Miss. well and am quite sure he got Kelso blood from him also.

26. Thanks Sig1911 thanked for this post