Thread: Best roofing for dome pens

Post Thanks / Like

Best roofing for dome pens

Im fairly new into gamefowl and I built some 4x4 dome pens and I was wondering what you guys think is best to use for roofing. I live in southern Ohio and we get quite a bit of snow in the winter and it rains just about all spring long. So what would do yall think would be best to use.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best roofing for dome pens

I use Roll Roofing on my Pens. holds up well here in Florida. Last about 3 years before I need to replace it.. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Tarco-3-...8206/100557358

Post Thanks / Like

I use metal roofing like used for a house roof. Takes 3 pieces and it covers the entire pen with the exception of a 6 inches on each side or 1 ft in all.

Post Thanks / Like

In the long run you're lookin at this holding up 15, 20 or 25 years

5. Likes Jeremy28, Nauvoo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Webby13 View Post
    In the long run you're lookin at this holding up 15, 20 or 25 years
    Pretty much indefinitely, at least past our lifetime. It may rust a little in places or get a small hole from time to time but it’ll still be plenty good for a chicken roof. You can get the drops/seconds at a place that turns coils into roofing usually pretty reasonable.
    Last edited by Nauvoo; August 9th, 2018 at 07:30 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Exactly... I found a metal place that was goin out of business and i bought em out of what they had left.

Post Thanks / Like

What methods are u guys using to post pics these days?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy28 View Post
    Im fairly new into gamefowl and I built some 4x4 dome pens and I was wondering what you guys think is best to use for roofing. I live in southern Ohio and we get quite a bit of snow in the winter and it rains just about all spring long. So what would do yall think would be best to use.
    I use synthetic underlayment on mine you can get a 4ftx250ft roll for $75 or less it last me about 4 year's

Sent from my Z798BL using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I use tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Tinypic, basically like photobucket

Post Thanks / Like

My bad, I Thought he asked about Dome Pen roofs.. How do you guys bend the metal sheets to contour to a Dome pen??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Al Sanchez View Post
    My bad, I Thought he asked about Dome Pen roofs.. How do you guys bend the metal sheets to contour to a Dome pen??
    Run the length front to back, it’ll flex enough thru the flats and at the rib corners to follow the dome. Or if you can get it straight off the coil before they break it is even better, just flat metal.
    Last edited by Nauvoo; August 9th, 2018 at 08:57 AM.

14. Thanks Al Sanchez thanked for this post
    Likes HeavyD, Al Sanchez liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This is what I use and Lowes or Homedepot both have it and if a veteran can get 10% discount. I tend to squeeze a dollar a little as I buy gift card at Kroger for lowes or home depot when they offer 4x the fuel points. They also carry it in a heavier quality for around $120. I have the $75 on my pens since 2014 and look like still have a few more years in them. So gift card + fuel points + veteran discount = $18 off so cost me $57.
    Quote Originally Posted by coker1988 View Post
    I use synthetic underlayment on mine you can get a 4ftx250ft roll for $75 or less it last me about 4 year's

Last edited by catfish1947; August 10th, 2018 at 01:18 AM.

16. Likes Bigmeal, roostercm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My son built his pens 4' x 8' and used hay wrap to go over the top of two of them and 6' x 8' tarps for the other two. He cut a couple 2x8's with the jigsaw to keep the birds to the middle of the roost pole and two foot high all the way around the bottom is hardware cloth to keep unwanted coons out.

One end is hinged at that two foot mark so he can get in and out at night to move the two cocks back and forth between the hens. He is using 5 dog snaps to close the pens up.

He's having problems with nest boxes, wanted to attach them to the cage, but hes having to set them on the ground. His 2x4s are green board but he zip tied some 2" pvc on the underside of the boards complete with elbows and drove 6 "cedar stakes" around the sides to keep the pen in one place and screwed the 2x4s to the stakes. Now when I say cedar stakes I'm building fence, sharpening cedar posts with the chainsaw, thats where he's getting his stakes.

To me some of that is overkill, and then to skimp with tarp and hay wrap blew my mind. Thats four pens for his one breed.....

Post Thanks / Like

Was looking for the white roll used in Alaska but came across this vinyl tarp website https://www.tarpsnow.com/vinyl-tarps.html

19. Likes don128, roostercm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RedAngus View Post
    My son built his pens 4' x 8' and used hay wrap to go over the top of two of them and 6' x 8' tarps for the other two. He cut a couple 2x8's with the jigsaw to keep the birds to the middle of the roost pole and two foot high all the way around the bottom is hardware cloth to keep unwanted coons out.

One end is hinged at that two foot mark so he can get in and out at night to move the two cocks back and forth between the hens. He is using 5 dog snaps to close the pens up.

He's having problems with nest boxes, wanted to attach them to the cage, but hes having to set them on the ground. His 2x4s are green board but he zip tied some 2" pvc on the underside of the boards complete with elbows and drove 6 "cedar stakes" around the sides to keep the pen in one place and screwed the 2x4s to the stakes. Now when I say cedar stakes I'm building fence, sharpening cedar posts with the chainsaw, thats where he's getting his stakes.

To me some of that is overkill, and then to skimp with tarp and hay wrap blew my mind. Thats four pens for his one breed.....
    How does he cut the roost to keep them in the center?This would help a lot on coon problem. Behind my house is 12,000 arces of swamp land , I lose a lot to coons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

He ran the roost side to side, its a cedar limb and zip tied it into place. Then took a 2x8 and jig saw and cut it to the curve of the dome, shot a screw up through the cedar roost into the board and used plastic plumbers strap to hold the board into place on the wire. It pushes the birds more to the center of the roost. I don't know if it'll work but I like the theory. It keeps them off the sides.

It looks to me like a big coon will still be able to get his arm to them, but if he loses any I'm sure a second board will put a stop to it. I told him a coon doesnt care, feathers, a wing or a toe, a tail and they're going to be eating chicken.

22. Likes KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy28 View Post
    I’m fairly new into gamefowl and I built some 4x4 dome pens and I was wondering what you guys think is best to use for roofing. I live in southern Ohio and we get quite a bit of snow in the winter and it rains just about all spring long. So what would do y’all think would be best to use.
    In New England we receive a lot of snow. I build 4 foot high roof support out of 2x4. I use rubber roofing for tops. I only use 4 roofing nails to hold rubber down. That way the cages can not be tipped over by wind. One corner of rubber will rip and cage stays down

24. Likes KevinG, chester liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RedAngus View Post
    He ran the roost side to side, its a cedar limb and zip tied it into place. Then took a 2x8 and jig saw and cut it to the curve of the dome, shot a screw up through the cedar roost into the board and used plastic plumbers strap to hold the board into place on the wire. It pushes the birds more to the center of the roost. I don't know if it'll work but I like the theory. It keeps them off the sides.

It looks to me like a big coon will still be able to get his arm to them, but if he loses any I'm sure a second board will put a stop to it. I told him a coon doesnt care, feathers, a wing or a toe, a tail and they're going to be eating chicken.
    Got it,thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone ever try the metal from those cheap swimming pools? Might could throw an ad on Craigslist to remove for material

Post Thanks / Like

vinyl siding put on with j-clips last a long time start on one side at bottom and clip it, snap in next piece and clip it, keep going, sometimes you can get new pieces from a vinyl siding guy or used for free.

Post Thanks / Like

Landscape woven weed barrier. 4 5 or 6 ft x 250 ft. ????

Won't keep the water out. But provides shade??

Just wondering cause I just got 30 of the Mexican pens to cover.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HatchInTexas View Post
    Landscape woven weed barrier. 4 5 or 6 ft x 250 ft. ????

Won't keep the water out. But provides shade??

Just wondering cause I just got 30 of the Mexican pens to cover.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    They sell a shade cloth that blocks 60,70,80 & 90% sun.. just do a quick search on the internet for it.. it is a little more expensive than weed barrier but will last longer and is pretty tough material

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

30. Likes Al Sanchez liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

i use billboard tarp what they use on billboard signs get it cheap 35 x 50 50 bucks on craiglist I got some that are 7 yrs old last long time

Post Thanks / Like

Get some flat tin they sale it for a 1$ a foot. measures about 40 inches wide and you can shape it in to a dome

Post Thanks / Like

I have a design I worked on in the past. Made out of rebar and rolled tin roofing. Bullet proof all steel no wood to rott
    Last edited by airjammer88; August 18th, 2018 at 07:56 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

some of these domes were made in 1997 the shade tarp is still good. there's a tarp company in town so I get the left overs for free.
    the tarps with the smallest holes keep the rain out

35. Likes hoghunterdave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I built about 43 or 45 3x3 domes just for holding pens for stags till they're corded. The 24 frame that goes around the bottom of the dome i just drilled my (22) roost pole in the top of the frame which makes my pole just like 6in. off the ground still works good... Hope this help u fellas

Post Thanks / Like

38. Likes sinapangan liked this post