Thread: Brood Cock died.

Post Thanks / Like

Brood Cock died.

I purchased a trio a while back and managed to hatch out a few stags and pullets. Not too long ago the Cock to the trio died.

What is my best option to keep breeding these birds? Stag to mom? Brother to sister? Etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Brood Cock died.

Quote Originally Posted by Coonazz View Post
    I purchased a trio a while back and managed to hatch out a few stags and pullets. Not too long ago the Cock to the trio died.

What is my best option to keep breeding these birds? Stag to mom? Brother to sister? Etc.
    If you bought a trio you could single mate a stag back to mom or one of the original hens then take a stag from those and breed back to the other hen. It take you awhile to do it but if there worth it that's the way I would go then after you do that you will have even more opinions and way to keep them going.

3. Thanks jacosta thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I know the feeling. Sometimes a brood cock is to expensive or just cannot be replaced for not amount of money. If you cant get another from the source you got that one I would do like Spring Creek already said . But you can also single mate to the mom as suggested and to the sister as well . You didn't say how many you had stags and pullets so I assume one of each. If that's the case single mate Son to mother and single mate brother sister same year ,just rotate the rooster. Off the brother sister mating you can line breed both sides back to mother and father that will make you two lines . From the son to mother mating you can breed best stag back to mother that will be a 3rd line. You can also use the original stag back to mother hen she is not in use ( late in the season) all the while looking for that superior Ace stag or pullet . That way your working with the least inbred/linebred offspring to preserve the breed without having them to tight to fast.Hope that makes sense.Good luck. I know good fowl are hard to come by. Theyre also easy to mess up . Always keep the least inbred seed stock to fall back on if possible.

Post Thanks / Like

You started with a trio, the mother and a daughter/sister have been mentioned, do you still have the second original hen? I would find the stag i felt was the best and single mate him to both of the original hens. Can you get another BC from the same source? Do you know how closely related your original trio was, finding that out might help, I wouldn’t be afraid to mate up a bro n sis once and see how the outcome is, especially if the original trio is separate subfamilies. But if you have both original hens, use those and cross with a sister for now, maybe a choice rooster out of the second original hen line over the choice sister in a couple years.

6. Likes KevinG, LJ15 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Breed as many ways as you can using different individuals. Be sure to mark them.

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't linebreed anything unless they turn out sensational ... just breeding several generations to each other from the start is how you end up culling families because you have a yard full hatched before the first ones are tested . Win some money with those stags and buy another cock ... if they can't do that , but another trio from somewhere else.

9. Likes mctrott1, MONGOOSE liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by spring creek View Post
    If you bought a trio you could single mate a stag back to mom or one of the original hens then take a stag from those and breed back to the other hen. It take you awhile to do it but if there worth it that's the way I would go then after you do that you will have even more opinions and way to keep them going.
    I would buy another Brood cock. If you can’t do that. Follow what this man said

11. Likes jacosta liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Try this or something similar with both original hens to start off with like Nauvoo mentioned, afterall its the hen we always tend to breed back to anyway. Depending on how they turn out at each stage will determine if you continue on with it. Best wishes.

SF
    Last edited by KevinG; August 11th, 2018 at 02:20 AM.

13. Likes don128 liked this post