Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: DO I HAVE DUNGHILLS??

Post Thanks / Like

Re: DO I HAVE DUNGHILLS??

Quote Originally Posted by LaBlue View Post
    When you've had a family a long time and have raised and showed many (not 10-20 ) it is quite easy to cull out the ones that may quit you when the going gets real rough. The two main things I'd cull a cock or stag for- man fighters & wild and crazy. Both are mentally unstable and not to be trusted. Most of mine when handled every day will come right to the door and nearly jump in my arms. If you don't have fowl like that you are surely missing out on much enjoyment
    I was back in my early to mid 20s when I had those kinds of birds, honestly looking back I'm surprised the man fighters bothered me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RHman1026 View Post
    I think any manfighter is highly suspect to quit or either get killed by turning his back to the other cock while trying to come after you.
    Example: Carried 2 shows to Brownsville that were not Ateam cocks but too good to dispose of. Had 2 brothers not bred like my usual pit cocks and would continously bite and try to turn in my hands. Ended up with 1 of them in each show. Yep, both ended up as 5th cocks in 5c derby. Both lost by turning back on me and giving opponent free shot. Ended up 8-2 that day and no piece of the pie. Already hated manfighters. They ain't worth the trouble and at my place just last til I can get my hands on them. It don't matter if they are purebreds or pitcocks One season back when Orlando, St. Augustine, and Biloxi were held Murphy and Harry Parr sent Hugh Norman a large group of cocks for Hugh to train for the tournaments. First day after the cocks arrived nearly every cock was hacked. Was Murphy's cocks dunghill? No! They hacked for the same reason some cocks moult hack. Hugh sent all the cocks back home. Cocks can hack for many reasons and we should not be so quick to eliminate whole families just because it makes us so mad or embarrasses us when it happens . I had a very good cock once that you could only catch in a fly pen one way.I had to get down low in the pen and ease him to a corner to catch him with my hands down in front of him. If I stood up and spread my arms over him, he would hack cold til I got him up in my arms. I fought him 6 times and it happened every time I trained him. Let me add 2 of his fights he came from behind. His last fight a dunghill could not win. Betting a hawk or owl nearly caught him when he was young and on free range. Bred him and had no problem with any of his stags.
    My question to you is why deal with a bird as you mentioned when you have a $hitload that don’t do this weird $h1t. When I was young I messed with weird birds. Learned along time ago 90% of the time there not worth it. So I don’t.
    How many times did any of your u have a cock act bad in the pit and the first thing through you mind was
    ” I KNEW IT!”
    There’s a reason to listen to that little voice in your head. I’ve learned. Will you?

3. Thanks LaBlue thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LaBlue View Post
    When you've had a family a long time and have raised and showed many (not 10-20 ) it is quite easy to cull out the ones that may quit you when the going gets real rough. The two main things I'd cull a cock or stag for- man fighters & wild and crazy. Both are mentally unstable and not to be trusted. Most of mine when handled every day will come right to the door and nearly jump in my arms. If you don't have fowl like that you are surely missing out on much enjoyment
    Now $hit Lablue, you just heard Ratliff say that. LMAO Just kidding brother I had to say it.
    I agree , I think its a mental instability as well ,good fowl should be an enjoyment and something you look forward to doing, not something dread or get upset over.If you have a bad temper its best not to fool with manfighters or youll look around and you wont have many chickens left. I cant spot all that might pull up but when you see one spar and it fights scared that can be a sign. Guess it all boils down to finding a good family of chickens and sticking with them and learn them thru and thru .

5. Likes KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I was wondering how this came out for y’all. I know I own dunghills but mine don’t where panties during the moult.

7. Likes HeavyD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

i've got dunghills also but i think i've only had two hack up in the molt both did the same thing. they'd get a bill hold on there wing and shuffle themselves into the ground. had someone tell to check the gland on the base of the tail but i'm not watching one do that for any length of time. it's a cull

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by leonidas View Post
    i've got dunghills also but i think i've only had two hack up in the molt both did the same thing. they'd get a bill hold on there wing and shuffle themselves into the ground. had someone tell to check the gland on the base of the tail but i'm not watching one do that for any length of time. it's a cull
    Most people never realize it but most culls are dunghills. Why ask why, cull and decrease the problem and make more space.

10. Likes southernX liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Skincarver View Post
    If you have a bad temper its best not to fool with manfighters or youll look around and you wont have many chickens left.

And that's a bad thing? Man-fighters, cocks that don't settle down and cocks that abuse hens are here to test us. We either pass or fail.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shamo View Post
    And that's a bad thing? Man-fighters, cocks that don't settle down and cocks that abuse hens are here to test us. We either pass or fail.
    I have killed a lot of manfighters. I can not and will not deal with them no anther how good they are! When I go to feed or walk by there cord area and they fly at me or follow me trying to hit me he is done ! Will not put up with that and I Dam sure won’t breed one !!!! My main concern now days is my wife helps me a lot this time of th year when the days are short so she feeds for me in the evenings. I will not have one beating on her and her being discouraged to b around the fowl So they are gone immediately!!! Plus I hate having to work a man fighter on the bench !! To me a man fighter is some kind of mental issues and we all know a mentality stable cock is a must!! So to me man fighters Are Dunghills
    Last edited by Steel city farm; February 11th, 2019 at 12:37 AM.

13. Likes KevinG, Asil/penny, CA whitetoppy06 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MONGOOSE View Post
    Yup, it’s that time again, for the ever controversial discussion on your fowl acting like a 5 year old girl in a pink dress, during the moult, when he sees a mouse.
    I don’t care who you are, what shows your into, or if they are 80% winners.
    It just never makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside looking at those birds during feeding time.
    PS, yes I love stirring the pot.
    Since EVERYBODY is so sensitive as there fowl this time of year................
    Last edited by MONGOOSE; August 15th, 2019 at 12:23 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I love hearing the theory that “cocks loose there testosterone during the molt”. Ive never seen any studies to back that up and if thats true. Why do majority of my fowl show no such problem?
    I wonder if hawks, owls, falcons, eagles stop hunting during there molt cause there too under hack to hunt?

Like I said earlier. I have never seen a multi time winning ace, who acted bad during the molt, get behind and not act bad.
    Any great cutting family can look good when there winning. How do they act when there going to loose?
    I guess Myself and friends just got lucky to have bloodlines that dont hack in the molt.
    Oh, by the way. Im not saying I never get one. Im just saying he never makes it to a dance or a brood pen.
    Last edited by MONGOOSE; August 15th, 2019 at 02:25 PM.

16. Likes Hoghunter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Only problem with my fowl in the molt is they are ugly as sin. Two or three tail feathers, patchy Cape and saddle feathers. When they flap wings to pump up a good crow you see gaps where feathers should be. Mine even get that ugly black ticking in their necks.

Then I think how good they will look when their new coat of armor is grown in.
    Yep they get ugly but not their attitude. Still act like they are gods gift to the world.

18. Likes KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Have gotten by pretty good this time around although they took a beatin but never lost their nerve or looked like a hunched over buzzard. They acted well through it all, happy with it. I did feed seed throughout in their mix, sunflower and black. Feed store ran out of seed once so I got some bird seed that also had dried berries, they loved it. I cld have gotten some that already had them mixed in but I like to mix my own, increase and decrease things. Wish it would get a little colder so that they'd have the urge and give it that final push to finish it up. Takes a damn good while here, I mean who the hell wants to hurry up and grow feathers in the heat anyway. The birds with heavy plummage are the ones that Im always having to wait on and there are plenty of those from hackle, body to tail. The Butchers have a stem on their tail thats about 3 to 4 inches long no bs, that part that looks like its wrapped in hard plastic. By the time they grow a tail, its well into the new year but I gotta say its a tail from hell though LOL.
    SF
    Last edited by KevinG; October 18th, 2019 at 03:57 PM.

20. Likes Hoghunter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I love hearing the theory that “cocks loose there testosterone during the molt”. Ive never seen any studies to back that up and if thats true. Why do majority of my fowl show no such problem?
    I wonder if hawks, owls, falcons, eagles stop hunting during there molt cause there too under hack to hunt?

Like I said earlier. I have never seen a multi time winning ace, who acted bad during the molt, get behind and not act bad.
    Any great cutting family can look good when there winning. How do they act when there going to loose?
    I guess Myself and friends just got lucky to have bloodlines that dont hack in the molt.
    Oh, by the way. Im not saying I never get one. Im just saying he never makes it to a dance or a brood pen.
    Mongoose.....buddy when a chicken goes into moult they have all the blood in New feathers......a gamecock doesn't have to forage to find food, we feed them. Lol. Hawks and owls and buzzards and all those others depend on theme selves where gamecocks depend on us. I don't know about testosterone.
    No clue.
    You would think it would increase do to more movement in the blood, it's like the feathers are working in over time and it shuts the body down, which is why older fowl take it harshly compared to younger fowl. No blood in the Combs and body, all the blood in the feathers. Don't know how testosterone plays a role in making feathers but I bet it does .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cbgamefarm View Post
    Mongoose.....buddy when a chicken goes into moult they have all the blood in New feathers......a gamecock doesn't have to forage to find food, we feed them. Lol. Hawks and owls and buzzards and all those others depend on theme selves where gamecocks depend on us. I don't know about testosterone.
    No clue.
    You would think it would increase do to more movement in the blood, it's like the feathers are working in over time and it shuts the body down, which is why older fowl take it harshly compared to younger fowl. No blood in the Combs and body, all the blood in the feathers. Don't know how testosterone plays a role in making feathers but I bet it does .

I kinda love poking a stick at knife guys lol. Like I said earlier. Why myself and most of my friends rarely have one act bad in the moult? Luck? Ours are just chickens too.

Post Thanks / Like

Damn toot your own horn. Lmao I wonder how many cocks you lost to that hacked up during the moult. I know for a fact I've lost to cocks that did. I played a few over my years, I'm certain it's happened. If you dont want to feed a rooster that's hacked up, you don't have to. That simple, but no reason to ruffle up the feathers of men who know what they have and don't pay attention to what thier doing this time of the year.

Post Thanks / Like

Damn toot your own horn. Lmao I wonder how many cocks you lost to that hacked up during the moult. I know for a fact I've lost to cocks that did. I played a few over my years, I'm certain it's happened. If you dont want to feed a rooster that's hacked up, you don't have to. That simple, but no reason to ruffle up the feathers of men who know what they have and don't pay attention to what thier doing this time of the year.
    If it ruffles your feathers I guarantee you its not my fault and as far as tooting my own horn. Im no one special around here. Everyone has great fowl and most dont hack up either.
    Boys around here have had the same longheel blood for decades.
    Key word is “longheel”.

Post Thanks / Like

Like I said, if you know what u got it don't matter Budd. U know you've lost to dunghills before so I dont know what the debate is.
    I'm waiting for squall paw to get on here and tell a story about a 3 1/2 pound 6 month old stag he played nakid heal into Jimbo Cox in the long knife and won.
    That's what I'm really looking forward to at the moment

26. Likes Naturaljack7, grey/dom liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mongoose is the gamest on net but dunghill at the pit.
    All tall tales. I wonder why people still believed in him.

Dnt wrestle in the net. You gonna lose. Action always speak louder than words.

Its irony. Coz we are on the net. And the winner is Monggos.

Where is ur moult pictures? Hahahahahaa. I never believed u own a single feather even with your thousand pictures all over again and again. Btw. Had you paid already?

Too much noise but aint paying.

28. Likes MONGOOSE liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Goose, what do you consider longheal? Lengthwise.

Post Thanks / Like

Like I said, if you know what u got it don't matter Budd. U know you've lost to dunghills before so I dont know what the debate is.
    I'm waiting for squall paw to get on here and tell a story about a 3 1/2 pound 6 month old stag he played nakid heal into Jimbo Cox in the long knife and won.
    That's what I'm really looking forward to at the moment
    No debate. The name of this topic is “dunghills”. If you dont own them. No need to to even comment.
    Ive said this before. My father only owned hatches in the 60’s, 70’s & 80’s. Thats all I knew till we got the Kelsos in the 90’s.
    No doubt the Kelso’s won far more than the hatches but Id NEVER say they are as game as the hatches.
    Just keeping it real. Todays “blade” fowl dont compare in GAMENESS to yesteryears longheel fowl.

31. Likes KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gaffer View Post
    Goose, what do you consider longheal? Lengthwise.
    Most people in short heel play in 1 1/4-1 1/2 I believe. We always used mostly 2 1/4 on hours. Most our heels were shorter cause of use. Standard is 2 1/4—2 7/8

33. Likes KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Had a friend that raised a group of roosters once. Most of them had really good attitudes. Some would peck you a little but they wasn't crazy or wild acting except for one. When you went by his cord he would fly to the other end trying to get away from you. When he was in a fly pen and you opened the door to feed, the rest would be at the door waiting but this one would be in the corner all the way in the back. I told him to cull him he wasn't right. But he said he was the best sparring one of the bunch. He took them to a derby and of course the crazy one ended up being the money fight. He wins, he brings home $37000. He knocked down the opponent in the first pitting then ran off and got the loss. My friend was mad and said he would never raise another sweater. In truth, he had some blame in it too because that rooster should have never made it to a pit.

35. Likes don128, KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by springwater View Post
    Had a friend that raised a group of roosters once. Most of them had really good attitudes. Some would peck you a little but they wasn't crazy or wild acting except for one. When you went by his cord he would fly to the other end trying to get away from you. When he was in a fly pen and you opened the door to feed, the rest would be at the door waiting but this one would be in the corner all the way in the back. I told him to cull him he wasn't right. But he said he was the best sparring one of the bunch. He took them to a derby and of course the crazy one ended up being the money fight. He wins, he brings home $37000. He knocked down the opponent in the first pitting then ran off and got the loss. My friend was mad and said he would never raise another sweater. In truth, he had some blame in it too because that rooster should have never made it to a pit.
    It surprises me people dont get that but hey, it makes it easier for me so im ok with it.

Post Thanks / Like

No debate. The name of this topic is “dunghills”. If you dont own them. No need to to even comment.
    Ive said this before. My father only owned hatches in the 60’s, 70’s & 80’s. Thats all I knew till we got the Kelsos in the 90’s.
    No doubt the Kelso’s won far more than the hatches but Id NEVER say they are as game as the hatches.
    Just keeping it real. Todays “blade” fowl dont compare in GAMENESS to yesteryears longheel fowl.
    I'm too partial to winning.lines versus an extremely game line.
    That's why blade fowl can make a game rooster look real bad if he don't get hurt.
    I will say this, ill breed something that hits to kill before I breed something that is meant to take licks over and over.
    It's a breeders preference.
    Some guys love the drag because that's when thier birds stand thier best chance, I for one used to have this fowl and I don't miss em one bit.
    I bet your kelsos made you look alot better then those hatches

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone remember how crazy those black roosters Jimbo Cox was playing with along time ago? When you opened up the drop pen to get em you better be ready cause those suckers werent running from you they were flying!!! Squall and high strung OMG! But....won a load of money with em
    I think it's the difference in someone knowing what they were doing vs someone who was new to the game.
    Last edited by cbgamefarm; October 22nd, 2019 at 03:43 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone remember how crazy those black roosters Jimbo Cox was playing with along time ago? When you opened up the drop pen to get em you better be ready cause those suckers werent running from you they were flying!!! Squall and high strung OMG! But....won a load of money with em
    I think it's the difference in someone knowing what they were doing vs someone who was new to the game.
    I was at the bayou club back around 2001 when jimbo went 12 straight in the lk. They sparred through 48 roosters the morning of the derby to pick their show
    I watched 2 different roundheads hack up and squall in the muffs lmao. But 12 straight is 12 straight

40. Likes Sig1911, KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think in this topic you have got to learn to be a realist. We all agree wild and manfighters are not mentally stable. Well neither is one that hacks during the molt. If all do its probably the family but if only 1 or 2 out 25 do it cull them. Me personally I like fowl that show gameness no matter what. Noticed I said SHOW gameness. I show mine a cock every molt. If he acts crazy well you know the outcome. I've seen some get sick and hack. Seen some get sick and show. I want them that at least have it in their heart during the hard times. Also pay attention to each individual. Not all show the same heart. Its just like us. Not all of our family line is mentally stable. Weird ones will show up. Just ask my parents lol.

42. Likes MONGOOSE, KevinG, Tokio liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by moseley View Post
    I think in this topic you have got to learn to be a realist. We all agree wild and manfighters are not mentally stable. Well neither is one that hacks during the molt. If all do its probably the family but if only 1 or 2 out 25 do it cull them. Me personally I like fowl that show gameness no matter what. Noticed I said SHOW gameness. I show mine a cock every molt. If he acts crazy well you know the outcome. I've seen some get sick and hack. Seen some get sick and show. I want them that at least have it in their heart during the hard times. Also pay attention to each individual. Not all show the same heart. Its just like us. Not all of our family line is mentally stable. Weird ones will show up. Just ask my parents lol.
    Well said. Thats all im saying too. Mental stability at ALL TIMES.

Post Thanks / Like

This was showing in the LK yes?
    SF

Post Thanks / Like

Roosters crow and show enough that they can fool folks ... and the losers don't get a re-do to evaluate if you did have them right or not . That's where being around hounds , horses and stuff help . There are hounds and varmint dogs that are hellacious at the house ... either treeing varmints to protect their farm or being able to free cast around the house and they are great ... but you haul them and try to hunt competition style and they fall apart ... but you can see a hound fall apart and you get to take them home unless you lost your cool when they embarass you .

Roosters being graded as stuff that is good at home , local or being able to haul them is real too ... it's just harder to see . There are alot of entries that are showing fowl that have been great sparring or even cutting dudes at the house or local but you don't see it at the big derbies like you'd think ....

Watch how many shows crow like crazy being dropped out ... hollering at their buddy they know has had muffs on . Then go inside as watch the scales and the guys waiting in line or in the pit as they warm up .... there's about a 1,000% drop in the crowing .