Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What were your weights headed into the pit??

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What were your weights headed into the pit??

Quote Originally Posted by southernX View Post
    Most cockers show there cocks over weight. Most cocks at 5.5 and up are carrying 2-4 oz of fat in there ass. If there's fat in there ass, there's hard fat on there gizzard and heart. That's why I always preach don't let your cocks get fat. EVER. What you feel in there ass is only the topping on the cake. I know theres folks that will tell you they can get the fat off quick with oats, Apple cider vinegar, hard boiled eggs etc. It aint true. The time it takes to put the weight on a cock it takes 1 1/2 times longer to get it off and him back in shape. I don't care who tells you different. Oh yeah you can starve them down but that's just what you will end up with. Just like youll hear folks say I like them alittle fat in the moult. It don't help them believe me.
    There goes that insight........
    Last edited by Nauvoo; September 13th, 2018 at 10:43 PM.

2. Likes KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Between 5.0 and 6.0 is fine with me. I don't care much for cocks under 5lbs. Most anything under 5.0 we hack in the barn. Just my taste. I wont breed anything under 5lbs. I don't care if there a double barreled ace.
    I know a few respectable breeders around here that cull under 5lbs, that would be almost 1/2 of my pure fowl.lol I like 4:6 to 5:6 just because the fowl I like fall in that range. I am trying to get weights up, but that is a longer process w/out adding new blood

4. Likes don128, KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
    I always wondered, when legal, if there was an advantage to bringing a show that was all in same weight class. Like all fell in 5 to 5:4. And if so what weight had the advantage for you?
    I turned in several shows 4.1 to 4.12. I think you would do good with a show 6.0 o 6.2 unless there were guys that fought a lot and had mostly top weights and that is very unusual.

6. Thanks KevinG thanked for this post
    Likes KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RHman1026 View Post
    I turned in several shows 4.1 to 4.12. I think you would do good with a show 6.0 o 6.2 unless there were guys that fought a lot and had mostly top weights and that is very unusual.
    I'd say it is much easier on the top or the bottom. The middle is tough!

8. Thanks KevinG thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I always liked to watch those old shake weights go together . At that weight all breeds have strength to spare. You really don't need so called power fowl at these weights. I just always preferred to show at around 4'14 to 5'4 but some of my best chickens always seemed to be around 6 pound.

10. Likes KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Most cockers show there cocks over weight. Most cocks at 5.5 and up are carrying 2-4 oz of fat in there ass. If there's fat in there ass, there's hard fat on there gizzard and heart. That's why I always preach don't let your cocks get fat. EVER. What you feel in there ass is only the topping on the cake. I know theres folks that will tell you they can get the fat off quick with oats, Apple cider vinegar, hard boiled eggs etc. It aint true. The time it takes to put the weight on a cock it takes 1 1/2 times longer to get it off and him back in shape. I don't care who tells you different. Oh yeah you can starve them down but that's just what you will end up with. Just like youll hear folks say I like them alittle fat in the moult. It don't help them believe me.
    Seems like the years I was away from the sport Ive forgot more than I care to admit , here or to myself. Ive not fed a rooster in years , cant seem to even make it to that stage for so much trouble just trying to get some raised up to feed. But I always preferred mine to actually gain a little during the keep. Not fat weight, but a little muscle weight. I do know if you try to pull weight off quick, its like you said youre actually starving it off and loosing alot of strength , power and stamina as well as speed. Theyll also run out of gas as you know if they are carrying too much fat . Like you said , its best not to let them get fat in the first place .But the question is this. Whats your idea of a controlled weight loss range without loosing any of the things I mentioned? Im guessing at about 1 ounce per week. I also wanted to mention if a rooster is too fat out on the yard then that should be taken care of way before he is ever considered to be put up for a show. A couple of weeks pre conditioning is what I always done with mine . Good post .
    Last edited by Skincarver; September 14th, 2018 at 01:25 PM.

12. Likes KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
    I always wondered, when legal, if there was an advantage to bringing a show that was all in same weight class. Like all fell in 5 to 5:4. And if so what weight had the advantage for you?
    Used too b huge advantage for a lotta people's old heros doin this...they'd all send their roosters too one guy too condition and he'd put all the ace roosters in 1 entry and all the stiffs was entered in 5 or 6 other entry....then they'd have a huge chance of matchin a complete stiff and if they didn't they had an ace!!! So yeah pretty good advantage lol

Lucas

14. Thanks KevinG thanked for this post
    Likes KevinG, Nauvoo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I didnt know this at first but a guy I knew wld weigh a couple at scales to see if they were in tune with his from home and then turn in the slip. He wldnt put the band on the bird until he was called and chose from all the ones he brought with that weight that to him were doing best at the time lol. Never knew what he was doing in that horse trailer he pulled around. He didnt spread his birds around like Lucas mentioned but he had a choice when the time came. Im sure many did one or the other.

SF

Post Thanks / Like

Most pits have a fellow that bands your fowl for you. Thus eliminating that type of stuff. But not all, some just give you colored tie wraps to put on. But to do that your fowl have to be very close to the same weight within a once or so. Since weight slips have both color or number and weight to correspond. To me I don't care what a fellow brings or when he bands as long as the weight is within 2 oz. Ive even been known to give 4 or more oz. if needed to get matched.

17. Likes KevinG, RedAngus liked this post