Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mike ratliff general crosses for sale

Post Thanks / Like

Mike ratliff general crosses for sale

Came across this and thought it may be of interest to some members on here.
    Tried to pull up the thread on the legendary Mike Ratliff's Generals but this damn computer or internet rather isn't bringing up any searches whatsoever. I wasn't about to comb through pages of posts to find it either so made a new one. Some interesting info on his General and Bell RH crosses.

SF

Last edited by KevinG; October 10th, 2018 at 11:45 AM.

2. Thanks jacosta, SHOWBIZZ, richardself thanked for this post
    Likes roostercm, jacosta, SHOWBIZZ, don128 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mike ratliff general crosses for sale

general cocks

4. Thanks KevinG thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep, theres still some nice birds there. I live 25 minutes from Dane, visited a few weeks ago but didnt come home with any this time.

6. Likes KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've seen these in action recently, well worth the $.

8. Likes KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vizzard n tassl View Post

general cocks
    Very nice and well built birds Vizzard n Tassel.
    SF
    Last edited by KevinG; October 10th, 2018 at 09:43 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Are these the old ones or new generation for knife

11. Likes KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Birdderfly View Post
    Are these the old ones or new generation for knife
    these are the original ones that he made many years ago ive only had them about 35 years but my mentor had them long before me him and mike where very close friends dantior would know how long as his mentor is still alive
    these perform very well in gaff and sk this one done both 3 and 2

13. Thanks KevinG thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He is solid and built like a tank. Ill take that build for those 2 heels anyday.
    SF

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KevinG View Post
    He is solid and built like a tank. Ill take that build for those 2 heels anyday.
    SF
    Power drives the gaff home. I pick big thick hens with strong back muscle

16. Likes KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sad that Mike is gone. Lord knows we need more ppl like him in this business. I use his method and love it, he really showed me a lot and was a great man to talk to. If he had anything to do with these chickens I can promise u they r top notch fowl and are studs. I know he is in heaven but I remember calling him some years back and having a good 2hr+ conversation. I wouldn't hesitate to get any rooster from them for $500.

18. Thanks KevinG thanked for this post
    Likes danitor, KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A man told me Mike had sold out at one point when his health really started to decline. Don't know if there was any truth to it or not. May be that he was just wanting me to buy his. I wouldn't mind having some of the straight Generals , Bells or Geronimos . Last I checked they were only selling the crosses.

20. Likes KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Skincarver View Post
    A man told me Mike had sold out at one point when his health really started to decline. Don't know if there was any truth to it or not. May be that he was just wanting me to buy his. I wouldn't mind having some of the straight Generals , Bells or Geronimos . Last I checked they were only selling the crosses.
    Not too sure SkinCarver. I do know his page is full of activity before and after. Perhaps they may have slown down a little towards the end of Mike's days here. His page has plenty of pics and will keep you there for a good while.
    SF

Post Thanks / Like

500 $ crosses that's insane hell you can buy trios just about from any breeder of your choice for 1500$ and did it say 7 month old staggs. Sounds to me hes trying to profit from a legend name just saying

23. Likes Bloodsport, KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brettjern View Post
    Sad that Mike is gone. Lord knows we need more ppl like him in this business. I use his method and love it, he really showed me a lot and was a great man to talk to. If he had anything to do with these chickens I can promise u they r top notch fowl and are studs. I know he is in heaven but I remember calling him some years back and having a good 2hr+ conversation. I wouldn't hesitate to get any rooster from them for $500.
    I hear you, what a run that very few can match is any. Check out his page when you have a chance, its a nice one full of pics of then and now as well as many former students and those who use his keep. A pic of that spoon everyone was talking about is on there.

SF

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Birdderfly View Post
    500 $ crosses that's insane hell you can buy trios just about from any breeder of your choice for 1500$ and did it say 7 month old staggs. Sounds to me hes trying to profit from a legend name just saying
    300 up to 7 mos, 500 thereafter. If they are the same blood then its what those lines get. It wld be hard to fathom and remiss to speculate that his son who walked beside him for prob 75 years or more wld be out to destroy or hinder his dad's legacy to any degree just to make a quick buck. Im sure he is well aware of those thoughts since he isnt The Mike Ratliff.
    Yes one can buy someone else's purported "pure" stuff for $1500 but if these lines are what they are it wont be the same. Time will be the determining factor. I wasnt privy to the convos Mike and his son had before his departure but I wldnt be shocked if Mike wanted to continue spreading his life long love and passion. Alot of Mike s lines were set as strains/ crosses by himself many decades ago ya know.

SF
    Last edited by KevinG; October 11th, 2018 at 04:40 AM.

26. Likes richardself liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry man for a cross that is insanity, I heard good things about his chickens, but if I'm going to drop that kind of dough it will be for brood fowl. $500 for what could be well a one time use, no thank you.

28. Likes KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Skincarver View Post
    as far as I know from what I heard he never sold pure generals in the first place very few have them I only know three that have them

30. Likes danitor, KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Red, you know theyre allllll crosses even those they call pure. Theyre not, theyre set as a strain i.e. Penny, CC Kelso etc etc. Some are just better than others.

SF

Post Thanks / Like

I think Mike cld have just called them strains or families, but it appears he referred to his breeds as to what they truly were, crosses. Calling them strains or familes for some reason alleviates people's doubts somewhat when in reality its nothing more than just splitting hairs.

SF
    Last edited by KevinG; October 11th, 2018 at 06:00 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Ratliff General bloodlines are still very good. They have been cared for by men that knew Mike and were friends and students of his over many years. Eldon Barney of Utah, Denis Drown of Idaho, got as good as Mike ever let go of. I'm honored to still have this great bloodline and to have been a student of Mikes.

34. Thanks LaBlue, KevinG thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by danitor View Post

Ratliff General bloodlines are still very good. They have been cared for by men that knew Mike and were friends and students of his over many years. Eldon Barney of Utah, Denis Drown of Idaho, got as good as Mike ever let go of. I'm honored to still have this great bloodline and to have been a student of Mikes.
    That is a beautiful bird Danitor.
    SF

36. Likes danitor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by danitor View Post

Thanks for for sharing this photo. My dad had Generals from Mike (we are talking back in the 80s). They were good fowl...and that is exactly what they looked like!
    Last edited by Bend the knee; October 11th, 2018 at 06:15 AM.

38. Likes danitor, KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Not too sure SkinCarver. I do know his page is full of activity before and after. Perhaps they may have slown down a little towards the end of Mike's days here. His page has plenty of pics and will keep you there for a good while.
    SF
    It was from one of Mike running buddies that I heard it. Think their was some issues between him and the rest of Mikes family .I don't know what went on and am not going in to any details of what was said because I don't spread rumors and don't know it to be facts . Any one that wants to do the research can find who Mike run with up to the point where he went home to stay. There are usually two sides to every story. I would hate to think it true myself but if it were they could have got some of those fowl back or whatever. If they aren't the same quality of fowl time will tell. It says they are offering pure fowl now. I hope they do well and glad to see them trying to carry on Mike's Legacy in the sport. Will be looking forward to hear feedback from folks that do get fowl from them. I might consider getting some of the Bells from them one day if they keep doing well.

40. Thanks KevinG thanked for this post
    Likes KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RedAngus View Post
    Sorry man for a cross that is insanity, I heard good things about his chickens, but if I'm going to drop that kind of dough it will be for brood fowl. $500 for what could be well a one time use, no thank you.
    Yeah that's on up there for a cross. I would consider using a 2 way cross as a broodcock back to a pure hen if he was a damn good Ace or better cock. No way I would throw down 500 on an untested cross though. Too many good cross fowl out there for way less.

Post Thanks / Like

There was some fuss about Mikes farm in Florida being wiped out and how he replaced the fowl .

I read it as cross hens at $300 .. High for battle fowl but cheap if they have been proven to throw winners for 50 years .. I don't mind the $500 for pure stags .. Gator gets $800 and Gilliam gets $600 .. Plenty get the $500 and most of y'all claim you won't sell at all . But if you did it would be outrageous .. Hypocrites .

The only rub is they outta not do the price jump .. It detracts from the product .. And that lady writing those posts about the Great Dane Ratliff and how she writes is a turn off ...those old pics of Mikes fowl show clean , classy fowl ... They look pretty mediocre now . But I'd they'd show me a classy pumpkin Bell I might just pull the trigger

Melvin Batson sells fowl but don't show any Ratliff blood . But hez there on their page posting a beast of a Pumpkin cock .. Busted . Lol . And it is Pumpkin Hulsey

Mikes brother , Pat , was a neighbor of my uncle .. He could bend a quarter in half with his hands .. He ran coyote dogs like my family so I got some scoop from him ..

43. Thanks KevinG thanked for this post
    Likes KevinG, Skincarver liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Red, you know theyre allllll crosses even those they call pure. Theyre not, theyre set as a strain i.e. Penny, CC Kelso etc etc. Some are just better than others.

SF
    I know, if you hear me say pure, I mean it will breed true 95% of the time.

45. Likes KevinG, Skincarver liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RedAngus View Post
    I know, if you hear me say pure, I mean it will breed true 95% of the time.
    Those breeds they call pure have had a ton added to them as theyve come through time since being named whatever they were named. What was crossed and set as a strain then that constitutes "pure" now have been loaded with a little of this or that even thereafter, breeders discretion. On Mikes breeds, I think the general consensus is misconstrued. He set them as a family, maybe even before the Pennys and a bunch of others. He didnt reload by crossing his "pures" every time, he crossed his strains that were set as a family and made good pit fowl. Sure he kept the pures going but its like saying well I want the Democrat in the Penny strain, not the Penny of which there is nothing wrong in that at all but the qualities that the Penny possesses are there due to how it was bred (crossed). Im just using the Penny as a model.
    SF
    Last edited by KevinG; October 11th, 2018 at 07:41 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Quapaw Kid View Post
    There was some fuss about Mikes farm in Florida being wiped out and how he replaced the fowl .

I read it as cross hens at $300 .. High for battle fowl but cheap if they have been proven to throw winners for 50 years .. I don't mind the $500 for pure stags .. Gator gets $800 and Gilliam gets $600 .. Plenty get the $500 and most of y'all claim you won't sell at all . But if you did it would be outrageous .. Hypocrites .

The only rub is they outta not do the price jump .. It detracts from the product .. And that lady writing those posts about the Great Dane Ratliff and how she writes is a turn off ...those old pics of Mikes fowl show clean , classy fowl ... They look pretty mediocre now . But I'd they'd show me a classy pumpkin Bell I might just pull the trigger

Melvin Batson sells fowl but don't show any Ratliff blood . But hez there on their page posting a beast of a Pumpkin cock .. Busted . Lol . And it is Pumpkin Hulsey

Mikes brother , Pat , was a neighbor of my uncle .. He could bend a quarter in half with his hands .. He ran coyote dogs like my family so I got some scoop from him ..
    I hear that, its also not written to answer all questions but my thinking was the substance far outweighs the form. Ultimately, I just thought it wld be a good b.s. session in how many fights those birds won and really more abt what he left behind.

SF

Post Thanks / Like

No disrespect to Mr mike because he was a great man my mentor went to Mike's school and his son did as well but that add is hard to swallow

49. Likes KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thats why I mentioned that the ad may not pass the litmus test for some in form, but who can say with certainty that the substance isnt there ya know. Sometimes we have to look beyond zeroing in on picking every lil thing apart that isnt even near the crux.

SF
    Last edited by KevinG; October 11th, 2018 at 07:47 AM.