Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mike ratliff general crosses for sale

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mike ratliff general crosses for sale

They talk about 23. 16. 14 time winners how many lost there are culls in all breeds and I bet he dont have the passion mike had. Hell even nesmith adds blood to make them better so it's hard to believe there the same

Post Thanks / Like

The Golden blood that Larry Carter used to make Golden Grey came from a family called Goldens .. A Ratliff Bell Rh Jen came off with a clutch of yardbreds to start them.. They were phenomenal deep cutters ... If someone would loan me $500 I would sure try one

3. Likes KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Most definitely there are culls, I dont know what his percentage was when he was active though. Mike prob won alot more than he lost, Id bet on that. Even despite, Mike prob didnt brag abt his success as much as he cld have and maybe some stories are now being put out there? I know there was some big money in Jal, as Mexico is right there and yes some have that kind of money from there which is unbelievable. Mike was still active up till abt a few years ago, I wldnt bet that his whole yard was contaminated with infusions but Im also a realist in that some may have been introduced. Once again thats speculation and wont buy a cup of coffee as I dont know how things were run there as of recently. I do know that the more a breed touches different hands, the more it tends to get stepped on but still referred to by its original name. Not always, for those who still have Mike s Generals intact are fortunate to have them.
    SF
    Last edited by KevinG; October 11th, 2018 at 08:19 AM.

5. Likes Birdderfly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Quapaw Kid View Post
    The Golden blood that Larry Carter used to make Golden Grey came from a family called Goldens .. A Ratliff Bell Rh Jen came off with a clutch of yardbreds to start them.. They were phenomenal deep cutters ... If someone would loan me $500 I would sure try one
    What Grey did Larry use for those?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KevinG View Post
    What Grey did Larry use for those?
    Pumpkin/Golden cock over Bates Grey ... The originals won 21 1/2 outta 22 at Texoma .

8. Thanks KevinG thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thats why I mentioned that the ad may not pass the litmus test for some in form, but who can say with certainty that the substance isnt there ya know. Sometimes we have to look beyond zeroing in on picking every lil thing apart that isnt even near the crux.

SF
    That's hard to do when your shelling out 500+ per bird with no knowing. If anyone could go to the farm and see record books proving they came from a certain cock or hen line then sure they would be worth it. While whoever is writing up the ad is over zealous and really seems to be pushing the sell of them the fact remains. In Mike Ratliffs hands the General,Bells and Geromios were phenomenal .

10. Likes KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Birdderfly View Post
    They talk about 23. 16. 14 time winners how many lost there are culls in all breeds and I bet he dont have the passion mike had. Hell even nesmith adds blood to make them better so it's hard to believe there the same
    In Mike hands the Generals,Bell were top shelf and for a while were unstoppable. I don't doubt for a minute he had numerous multi X winners. That's what happens when a man culls as ruthlessly as Mike did. I highly doubt he built the legacy he had by showing culls. Im pretty certain any culls he might have hatched they never got a chance to make it to the keep , little on the pit. Where a lot of people would got ahead and take their second best or 3rd best fowl just to chance or hope to win . I don't think for a minute he ever showed any that weren't hell right off the line . I just don't know that the same method of breeding and culling will be put into them now that once was if they are indeed the same blood.

12. Likes KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Skincarver View Post
    That's hard to do when your shelling out 500+ per bird with no knowing. If anyone could go to the farm and see record books proving they came from a certain cock or hen line then sure they would be worth it. While whoever is writing up the ad is over zealous and really seems to be pushing the sell of them the fact remains. In Mike Ratliffs hands the General,Bells and Geromios were phenomenal .

You said you had some good hatch .. How much for your best pair , they better win for me .. Even if you have no clue what kind of care , keep or handling they will get

14. Likes KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yall but then 500$ staggs and come see me I got a double spur blueface hen that's done won 48 in the fly lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Birdderfly View Post
    Yall but then 500$ staggs and come see me I got a double spur blueface hen that's done won 48 in the fly lol
    How much will you sell me the nicest Blueface stag you got for ?

Post Thanks / Like

Pumpkin/Golden cock over Bates Grey ... The originals won 21 1/2 outta 22 at Texoma .
    Cool. I recall seeing his ad and I think he offered Hulsey, Kelso, Bates Grey, Golden Grey and Hatch. 21.5 out of 22 in LK, thats crazy!

18. Likes Quapaw Kid liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool. I recall seeing his ad and I think he offered Hulsey, Kelso, Bates Grey, Golden Grey and Hatch. 21.5 out of 22 in LK, thats crazy!
    He had three old Bates Grey hens .. They were red , he never waivered on them being Bates Grey . They were the mommas to what he called Kelso and Hatch .. And both Hawaiin derby winning shows .

He did have a pure Grey cock that won 7 fights at Texoma being yanked put the brood pen as an extra .. That equals about 127 fights in normal competition .. Making Mikes 23 time winner seem more rea
    istic

20. Likes KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You said you had some good hatch .. How much for your best pair , they better win for me .. Even if you have no clue what kind of care , keep or handling they will get
    You don't honestly want to know but Ill entertain whatever youre getting at. I sold a proven Mclean cock once and hen .The pair for 450.00 . The guy wasn't local I didn't know what kind of care they would get. That's on him. Since Im not in the business of selling fowl if he takes them off and f**ks them up and blames me that his problem.I don't really care if I ever sell another one.They were a personal brood pair of mine. I wont say they were the best I had but I was raising out of them. At one time I would probably have given a man a pair of them.
    Why don't you just say what you really mean if you have a point to make.

Post Thanks / Like

Great cocks win. And if you think you have a good or great cocks, just jump on into one of these 6 or 7 cock Derbys. You can still find them if ya look hard.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Skincarver View Post
    You don't honestly want to know but Ill entertain whatever youre getting at. I sold a proven Mclean cock once and hen .The pair for 450.00 . The guy wasn't local I didn't know what kind of care they would get. That's on him. Since Im not in the business of selling fowl if he takes them off and f**ks them up and blames me that his problem.I don't really care if I ever sell another one.They were a personal brood pair of mine. I wont say they were the best I had but I was raising out of them. At one time I would probably have given a man a pair of them.
    Why don't you just say what you really mean if you have a point to make.
    So , what is the win % of fowl you sold and price , sir . And how much shipping

Post Thanks / Like

So , what is the win % of fowl you sold and price , sir . And how much shipping
    I already said the price that was shipped . Around 60% not in my hands . I may do better I may do worse . Ive not had any luck raising any little on showing any . But like I said first I don't sell very often and don't have any at all I would sell right now. Might even need to buy some.How much you take for that rooster in your avatar? How many X it won. What % are they at ? Just go ahead and tell me what youre really getting at . I knew better than to think we could get along for more than a day LMAO .

Post Thanks / Like

Here is an old thread on the Generals if anyone wants to read it.Tells some of the history and speculations on how they were made and the quality of fowl they were
    http://www.sabong.net.ph/forum/showt...tliff-Generals

26. Thanks KevinG thanked for this post
    Likes KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Quapaw Kid;4893364]How much will you sell me the nicest Blueface stag you got for ?[/QUOTE I usually dont sell I either trade with friends or give them to young guys that show the love I only breed them pure about every 3 years to keep the blood

28. Thanks jacosta thanked for this post
    Likes jacosta liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

my mentor and good friend won over 200 derby's with general toppy crosses using his method
    these generals have won many in my hands to as well as dantior hands
    these cocks are very solid fowl travel really well have an attitude I've never seen matched there mental stability even when very young will run by cutting there wing at you one time holding them they are as gentle as a kitten they through all these characteristics to there young
    idk if what they are selling is half as good as the ones I have they would be worth a try
    there is a reason there not for sell strait bread you can make your own conclusion why this is
    n

30. Thanks KevinG thanked for this post
    Likes Sig1911, LaBlue, KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He had three old Bates Grey hens .. They were red , he never waivered on them being Bates Grey . They were the mommas to what he called Kelso and Hatch .. And both Hawaiin derby winning shows .

He did have a pure Grey cock that won 7 fights at Texoma being yanked put the brood pen as an extra .. That equals about 127 fights in normal competition .. Making Mikes 23 time winner seem more rea
    istic
    He made a good mark thats for sure QK.
    2 reds from the Greys huh, Ive read that in the past but from another farm. Sometimes the laws of nature are defied lol. So that red Bates Grey was in his Kelso and Hatch blood?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vizzard n tassl View Post

my mentor and good friend won over 200 derby's with general toppy crosses using his method
    these generals have won many in my hands to as well as dantior hands
    these cocks are very solid fowl travel really well have an attitude I've never seen matched there mental stability even when very young will run by cutting there wing at you one time holding them they are as gentle as a kitten they through all these characteristics to there young
    idk if what they are selling is half as good as the ones I have they would be worth a try
    there is a reason there not for sell strait bread you can make your own conclusion why this is
    n
    Thats awesome, thank you for putting that up V n T and for some further insight into the Generals. Ive heard those names that went 6 and 0 mentioned alot when the Generals are being talked about.
    Last edited by KevinG; October 11th, 2018 at 10:02 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

He made a good mark thats for sure QK.
    2 reds from the Greys huh, Ive read that in the past but from another farm. Sometimes the laws of nature are defied lol. So that red Bates Grey was in his Kelso and Hatch blood?
    Yeah , he tinkered with some real Hatch but those Red hens bred to Claret is what made the Kelso and linebred back to get green legs again made Hatch .

34. Thanks KevinG thanked for this post
    Likes KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Had some very successful crosses there! I always looked at that Bates Grey pic he had and the Hulsey in the air, then recall reading how he was moving to Calif. Did you ever get one or some of his lines?

Post Thanks / Like

Had some very successful crosses there! I always looked at that Bates Grey pic he had and the Hulsey in the air, then recall reading how he was moving to Calif. Did you ever get one or some of his lines?
    I helped him on weekends for a few years ... I got the Pumpkin cock that was the sire to the Pumpkin/Golden that made the first Golden Grey . Got the Claret cock that sired the 97' and 99' Hawaiin winners . Had Greys from the 7 time winner ,etc . Kinda like anything else though , it's hard even with those cocks to replicate their record if you are a working man on a small farm day dreaming about how it's gonna be auto pilot .

37. Likes KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I helped him on weekends for a few years ... I got the Pumpkin cock that was the sire to the Pumpkin/Golden that made the first Golden Grey . Got the Claret cock that sired the 97' and 99' Hawaiin winners . Had Greys from the 7 time winner ,etc . Kinda like anything else though , it's hard even with those cocks to replicate their record if you are a working man on a small farm day dreaming about how it's gonna be auto pilot .
    LOL, I hear you on that last sentence. Well Im sure they did well for you regardless QK. Did LC get to tend to the farm 24/7?
    Last edited by KevinG; October 12th, 2018 at 12:43 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah , he got the Pumpkins at 14 ... the farm hands out in Cali would hack birds at lunch so he was winning the average and never got a job ... he did flip a few houses out there but was a full time cocker and later salesman his whole life . I'm sure he had his hustle here and there but he made it work ... you learn alot when you live it like that

40. Likes LaBlue, KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah , he got the Pumpkins at 14 ... the farm hands out in Cali would hack birds at lunch so he was winning the average and never got a job ... he did flip a few houses out there but was a full time cocker and later salesman his whole life . I'm sure he had his hustle here and there but he made it work ... you learn alot when you live it like that
    Id say thats what it takes and some hustle like you mentioned. Prob wasnt always easy at times in the beginning but he worked it obviously and got it there for him. Thanks for the insight, must of been a good experience to be around him.

SF

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Bidderfly i'm a young guy wit h deep passion for fowl just starting out if you've got one, I'll be glad to send back some.

[/QUOTE I usually dont sell I either trade with friends or give them to young guys that show the love I only breed them pure about every 3 years to keep the blood[/QUOTE]
    Last edited by jacosta; October 12th, 2018 at 03:44 AM.

43. Likes KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

When Mike lost his Florida farm and bloodlines in the hurricane, he came to Denis and Eldon for replacement stock. He may have also gone to others since neither Denis or Eldon were into Bell Rh. I can't speak for any other breeder or owner of Mike's General bloodlines but the ones I have been involved with are worth more than $500 dollars, or whatever they are being sold for. I will admit that all General bloodlines at this time are not equal! Just an interesting point...Henry Wortham Little Generals and Ratliff Generals share a common history. And they are very good crossed or blended together. My opinion

45. Thanks vizzard n tassl, Sig1911, LaBlue thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll tell about my stay with Mike Ratliff. I got to his farm and you filled out an information questionare before you come. He put me I a house with two guys from Ohio. ( I stayed in touch for 15 or more years but have lost contact with them.) they were great friends and traded fowl. They had the good Ruble. We were in the chicken yard. The rest were up by the house. Three of us were carpenters and built him a carport one day. He give us all our pick out of his hen pen. The sons of my hen never lost their first fight. He told m she Was 3/4 general 1/4 bell Roundhead. We conditioned a bunch of fowl. We were the only entry to show up. Everyone knew we were coming. And like Mike said they were scared. It was true. Mike was the first guy to help the average guy. He as a great man.

47. Thanks KevinG, Sig1911 thanked for this post
    Likes danitor, hoghunterdave, KevinG, Skincarver liked this post