Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Almost there with the new yard

Re: Almost there with the new yard

Glad to see you have so much dedication to these fowl ! Makes me feel good knowing the fowl I’m sending u will b taken care of

I feel horrible for the few I lost already and feel I have let some people down and they were mistakes I could have prevented and I swore to myself if I was to stay at this I have to give 120% like I was raised to expect 120% in return. I knew I was making mistakes and maybe shouldntnof even got birds when I did last time and it learned me good so I've tried my hardest to get a proper set up before looking at birds again and I feel I'm finally a lot closer to being there. And thanks a lot gentlemen I appreciate the kind words and thank you to Mr. Al for taking the time to post pics for me I can only take them and that's only half the battle have a great day

Birdslayer a word of advice on those pens. Where the roost poles meet the wire put something solid be it metal or plastic about a foot square. Most the penned birds I lose to Owls come from the birds sleeping right up against the Wire at night. The Owl flys in and nails them on the roost up against the Wire.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Sanchez View Post
    Birdslayer a word of advice on those pens. Where the roost poles meet the wire put something solid be it metal or plastic about a foot square. Most the penned birds I lose to Owls come from the birds sleeping right up against the Wire at night. The Owl flys in and nails them on the roost up against the Wire.
    Hey Mr Al. I was thinking about shade cloth for the upper section or just going with smaller wire up there as well. I'm worried about producing to much heat adding to much metal because my original plan was to add metal to the bottom and not smaller wire but I don't want the added heat or to cut off air flow

That's what I did my Friend. I put 1/2" by 1/2" wire about a foot square right on the Sides where the Roost pole meets the Wire. Stopped Losing birds to Owls once I added the extra wire on the sides..

I remember seeing that on your yard videos. I'm going to add something but from what Nauvoo said about the hoot owls I should be fine but I'm to scared to take any chances. I'll know more once I have biddies free ranging but I think I'm going to build a big biddie pen to let them get just a bit older before I turn them to the yard. I'm trying like hell to think of all I can to get me the best jump start and security. I just hope the yotes stay at bay because dang do we have some yotes all around the property but my buddy just finished a couple AR's to help with them and I highly doubt they would care to mingle with them couple of bitches on the other side of the fence.

You know Birdslayer86 seeing all you're doing with the yard and what not makes me think what I would do differently. I hope I get a second chance at another Yard, may you and your Yard have Many Blue Ribbons.

Quote Originally Posted by Hidalgo View Post
    You know Birdslayer86 seeing all you're doing with the yard and what not makes me think what I would do differently. I hope I get a second chance at another Yard, may you and your Yard have Many Blue Ribbons.
    Thank you and I appreciate it. I've changed ideas and lay out a few times because I got to see some ideas of other cockers yards. A picture helps so much more then someone trying to explain what they have. The next big addition to my yard will be moving my barn from my moms to the property and getting the biddie pen frame up and in place. I have a roof frame that gives me 12 x24 and I had it set up and 80% built at one time but didn't like it completely so I took it down and just let it sit and glad I did because now I believe it will be a biddie pen.

Posting for Birdslayer

That's great, lots of hard work. You may want to put wire of some sort on the top. Those pens with the big overhang of tin although great for shade, are poor when the wind picks up. If you have wire under the tin even if the tin blows off the cocks wont get out and start trouble. just a thought.

Thank you Mr Al for posting pics. I hope that means things have settled some around your house. I need to look at a calendar and see when I can come up and see you and maybe see if we can guide me threw this pic thing so I don't have to keep aggravating you. Only problem for me is I use my phone but could probably find a lap top if it would make it easier. Have a great night sabong. Headed out for the chicken yard

I really have enjoyed seeing your progress. Good job! I also like that your yard seems secluded.

In our new semi-retirement, we have 7 acres but are at the back of a subdivision and on top of a hill. I have been thinking about how many roosters I can have crowing down on the neighbors.

Second, being on a hill, pens and yards are really exposed to everyone's eyes. It wasn't so bad until the electric company came through and cut down most of my windbreak that was a nice screen. Now I have a superhighway look going through the middle of what I was thinking about for my chicken yard.

I am next door to my daughter and son-in-law's 20 acres. The best chicken yard possibility on their place is right behind their house! There are other issues, even though they are nice. I help them with their dogs and dunghill poultry and sheep flock.

I wonder if others have to limit their roosters because of neighbors? I am looking at a corner of my place. But max roosters of three to six? Pretty pathetic. I'd like more brood roosters than that for one line, not to mention keeping stags.

Given the way things are, it may actually help preserve the breed if more people like me do at least raise a few. I grew up in the '60s and '70s when the cocking magazines were amazing and there were still legal venues. Looking back, it was a golden age. And here I grew up thinking that the good old days were in the 1920s - 1940s or '50s.

I
    Quote Originally Posted by Birdslayer86 View Post
    Thank you Mr Al for posting pics. I hope that means things have settled some around your house. I need to look at a calendar and see when I can come up and see you and maybe see if we can guide me threw this pic thing so I don't have to keep aggravating you. Only problem for me is I use my phone but could probably find a lap top if it would make it easier. Have a great night sabong. Headed out for the chicken yard
    . Today is the day buddy !!! By in the morning U will have fowl in those pens !!! See u tonight !!!!
    Last edited by Steel city farm; February 17th, 2019 at 12:26 AM.

You are very welcome my Friend. I will be more than happy to walk you through the steps to post your pictures. I think you could do it with you phone , But we would have to be on another line to be able to walk you step by step on posting using your cell phone. We will get it figured out. You contact me when your ready.. Have a good weekend my friend..

I post pic with my phone. Pretty simple to do. I’ll show him myself tonight. !!!!!!!
    Last edited by Steel city farm; February 17th, 2019 at 12:27 AM.

Today is the day for sure and I'm excited as hell and can't wait to be out of the car. Should be there fairly soon compared to when I started.

Today is the day for sure and I'm excited as hell and can't wait to be out of the car. Should be there fairly soon compared to when I started.
    Heck how far did you have to drive??

Just was trying to show birdslayer how to post pics lol.

I was Mississippi bound at 1pm yesterday and now I’m almost home to the new yard.

Finally got this pic thing figured out now too. Thank you steel city much much appreciated and I can't wait to get to the yard and get these beauties out of the boxes and In some fresh grass. About an hr out now

Finally got this pic thing figured out now too. Thank you steel city much much appreciated and I can't wait to get to the yard and get these beauties out of the boxes and In some fresh grass. About an hr out now
    Lucky they didn't fall out the box' on the way home man, you was driving upside down..........lol.......

No problem buddy anytime I can help just let me know and Iíll do my best !!! Glad to finally meet u and to finally put a face with the name. And Iím glad u like them. U got some nice ones for sure. Should make a good start for ya. Good luck !!!

Is anyone familiar with Cazu Pens out of San Antonio? Their Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/cazu.morale...3%3A1550717214
    Wire Pen 39x39.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Steel city farm View Post
    No problem buddy anytime I can help just let me know and I’ll do my best !!! Glad to finally meet u and to finally put a face with the name. And I’m glad u like them. U got some nice ones for sure. Should make a good start for ya. Good luck !!!
    It sure is nice to put a face with a name and I've said it before but man oh man there sure is some damn good fellas in this industry and I'm blessed to have met the few that I have and thank you guys so much for all you have done and are willing to do. I've only met a few off this site but I'm proud to call you guys friends and I look forward to many many more good years to come.

I just may have finally found a supplier close to home to get better gauge wire. So I just may try and build some drop pens and such in the near future. I believe I have most of what I need to make my attempt at a round pen. Should have most of the frame done this weekend if all goes well.

Any updates my Friend. Looking forward to see the yard... Pray all is well...

Quote Originally Posted by Al Sanchez View Post
    Any updates my Friend. Looking forward to see the yard... Pray all is well...
    I have not had a chance to add any additions to the yard in the last couple weeks I've actually just been spending my time out there sitting on my bucket just enjoying having a yard I'm finally proud of and set up the way it should have been from the get go. I did finish my frame for a round pen I'm happy with still need to finish the door and wrap it in wire. Once I get the door on I'll post some pics. I did get my start on a big biddie pen 24'x12'. Once I get a little more done on it I'll get some pics up. I should make some head way this week and weekend so I'll get some pics up. But best update so far my 2 hens are well on there way to filling a nest to set. My grey hen should actually go to setting probably by the end of the week and my spangle hen won't be far behind her but all in all very pleased with everything this time around and absolutely happy with my fowl and can't thank steel city enough and greatly appreciate all he has done for me. I am very thankful and appreciative of the members I have met from sabong and can not say enough about the outstanding character and just kick a$$ gentlemen willing to help me in any way they can .. hoghunterdave.. roostercm.. steel city and though I have no met you in person yet Al Sanchez great guys and a wealth of knowledge and thank you guys again for believing in a rookie and giving me a chance even though this passion and love for gamefowl is probably the worse passion to have a love for in this place we call the world that is very quickly going to hell in hand basket. Have a great night gentlemen

Bump......................

You know the invite for a visit still stands. got my first chicks of the year hatched off today..
    I have not had a chance to add any additions to the yard in the last couple weeks I've actually just been spending my time out there sitting on my bucket just enjoying having a yard I'm finally proud of and set up the way it should have been from the get go. I did finish my frame for a round pen I'm happy with still need to finish the door and wrap it in wire. Once I get the door on I'll post some pics. I did get my start on a big biddie pen 24'x12'. Once I get a little more done on it I'll get some pics up. I should make some head way this week and weekend so I'll get some pics up. But best update so far my 2 hens are well on there way to filling a nest to set. My grey hen should actually go to setting probably by the end of the week and my spangle hen won't be far behind her but all in all very pleased with everything this time around and absolutely happy with my fowl and can't thank steel city enough and greatly appreciate all he has done for me. I am very thankful and appreciative of the members I have met from sabong and can not say enough about the outstanding character and just kick a$$ gentlemen willing to help me in any way they can .. hoghunterdave.. roostercm.. steel city and though I have no met you in person yet Al Sanchez great guys and a wealth of knowledge and thank you guys again for believing in a rookie and giving me a chance even though this passion and love for gamefowl is probably the worse passion to have a love for in this place we call the world that is very quickly going to hell in hand basket. Have a great night gentlemen