Thread: Chicken feed

Post Thanks / Like

Chicken feed

Well i just left the feed store for the second time this month. I was just here 3 weeks ago. Spent 325 that day and here I am again spending another 325.00. I'm spending more on chicken feed then I do In rent ea month. Guess i need to start sharing the axe. Ok i guess I better stop now before this turns into a full blown rant lol

2. Thanks Al Sanchez thanked for this post
    Likes Al Sanchez liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Chicken feed

LOL.. Those days are over for me Sir. Now I spend maybe a $100 a month. Since I cut way back, not only did I cut down on the feed bill.. But I am saving of my time out in the yard watering & feeding.. I do not miss it at all.. Will leave raising 100s of birds every year to the young guys.. Been there, done that...LOL..
    Quote Originally Posted by rev-23 View Post
    Well i just left the feed store for the second time this month. I was just here 3 weeks ago. Spent 325 that day and here I am again spending another 325.00. I'm spending more on chicken feed then I do In rent ea month. Guess i need to start sharing the axe. Ok i guess I better stop now before this turns into a full blown rant lol

4. Likes richardself, turbo_harpoon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

How many pounds of feed did u get for $325?

Post Thanks / Like

feed ranges from $15-$20 here in the southwest for a 50lb bag. = 16.25 bags - give or take 800 lbs if feed.

7. Likes Al Sanchez liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I buy 1000lbs at a time. At 12.50 a bag on the chicken feed. And 200lbs at a time on the dogfoodat 21.00 a bag.

9. Likes Al Sanchez liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I just unloaded 600lbs. $165. That will last me about 12 days. I feel your pain Rev.

11. Likes Al Sanchez liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

How many you figure you have ?
    I buy 1000lbs at a time. At 12.50 a bag on the chicken feed. And 200lbs at a time on the dogfoodat 21.00 a bag.

13. Likes Al Sanchez liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

$15.75 a 50lb self mixed, for me out here in Ca. 15.5 % protein.
    Most of the cock mixes are $20.00 a 50 lb bag. So that saves me $ 4.00 a 50lb--- nothing to sneeze at.

15. Likes Al Sanchez liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Check buying in bulk. My buddy and I buy 3 tons at the time. Only way to really save.

17. Thanks LaBlue thanked for this post
    Likes turbo_harpoon, Al Sanchez, Sig1911, LaBlue liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

is there a feed mill near you?, you can ask them to mix your feed and just use some of the basics, i do this comes out to about 8.00 a bag depending on the price of grain at the time

19. Likes Al Sanchez liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In the old days my dad and I would buy a ton of corn, wheat, oats, milo, and rice. We mixed lay pellets and dog food with these grains . I was a hunter also. I fed all my deer livers to my fowl. I've ground up coyote and fed to my fowl, meats good !

21. Likes richardself, Al Sanchez, Sig1911, HURON liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've tried all these special mix's over the years and i always go back to the same old mix 2 part scratch 1 part pellets for 600lbs it's $120
    Last edited by tonetone559; November 1st, 2018 at 01:13 PM.

23. Thanks turbo_harpoon thanked for this post
    Likes HURON liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

$500 a ton here, delivered bagged and stacked. lasts one month. Alittle longer in the winter.

25. Likes Al Sanchez liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I live in the Mojave desert and have to have at least 15% mix. We don't get the bugs/grass and natural protein you guys in the South and Midwest. Would like to buy by the ton, but need a mix that is not too heavy on the pellets to get that % and have the grains as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by turbo_harpoon View Post
    I live in the Mojave desert and have to have at least 15% mix. We don't get the bugs/grass and natural protein you guys in the South and Midwest. Would like to buy by the ton, but need a mix that is not too heavy on the pellets to get that % and have the grains as well.
    For about $40 bucks you could setup & grow your own mealworms from now own if you wanted too! And if you got a used dehydrater you could have em dry or live great source of food 50% animal protein dry which is great it's not the kind of protein that is liver killing & all it's a good thing to have. A used 12-24 fish aqarium a reptile heat pad under it a reptile heat light & lid on fish tank ground cob type of litter & your set. When you throw a couple carrots or anything else in they will come latch on pick it up shake em of into something start feeding

Sent from my Z963VL using Tapatalk

28. Thanks richardself, turbo_harpoon thanked for this post
    Likes richardself liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by country View Post
    Check buying in bulk. My buddy and I buy 3 tons at the time. Only way to really save.
    How many do you have????????????????

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BostonMurphy View Post
    How many do you have????????????????
    Way to many, two bags of pellets and two buckets of whole grains, no cracked grains. Corn,oats,wheat, barley,milo and sunflower. Buy it by the drum full from local farmers, run it through the seed cleaner, mix and store in drums with weevilcide . Feed almost a drum a week.

Post Thanks / Like

My feed is 18% protein in 50lb bags i buy 350 lbs each trip and a 50lb sack of dog food for the ole Pyrenees and I'm at $101.50 with a farm tax card lasts me around 3 weeks to a month

Post Thanks / Like

I got a buddy on here jed clampit he usually raises 400-600 yearly and ole guy we know charles carmack raises around1,500-2,000 yearly smh.... Too much feed for my ole wallet

33. Likes KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tonetone559 View Post
    I've tried all these special mix's over the years and i always go back to the same old mix 2 part scratch 1 part pellets for 600lbs it's $120
    That that would be great, but out here on the west coast our scratch aint fit for hog feed. What is the protein level of the pellet you use, and what about the % on the scratch?

Post Thanks / Like

here in my country i spend about 350 on feed per month and only have access to cracked corn and pellets no mixed grain feeds but i supplement with dog food

Post Thanks / Like

Ive heard in a video that Joshua and Kerry Robertson feed only whole corn and pellets and they always show tuff in top competition. Any one feeding just pellets and corn?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fighterk View Post
    here in my country i spend about 350 on feed per month and only have access to cracked corn and pellets no mixed grain feeds but i supplement with dog food
    whole corn would be much better unless it was freshly cracked.

Post Thanks / Like

Rev another $165 today. I made it 13 days this time.

39. Likes KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Asil/penny View Post
    Ive heard in a video that Joshua and Kerry Robertson feed only whole corn and pellets and they always show tuff in top competition. Any one feeding just pellets and corn?
    I feed a good bit of whole corn and they do good on my mix the scratch feed here close has gone to crap. Plus they want way more than the mess around here is worth. I've got a friend he has never feed any thing but whole corn, laying pellets and oats. He soaks his oats and corn and drains them good and mixes his pellets with it. Hes very tuff competition to year in and year out.

41. Likes KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by spring creek View Post
    I feed a good bit of whole corn and they do good on my mix the scratch feed here close has gone to crap. Plus they want way more than the mess around here is worth. I've got a friend he has never feed any thing but whole corn, laying pellets and oats. He soaks his oats and corn and drains them good and mixes his pellets with it. Hes very tuff competition to year in and year out.
    How many parts corn and how many parts pellets and oats?

Post Thanks / Like

Anybody go to Wally word to get there corn ir mixed scratch it's a 40 lbs for $8

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by spring creek View Post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Asil/penny View Post
    I'm not exactly forsure what % he used I never asked him but I know that was his mixture. I guess you could just try and see what suited them the best. Just a little trial and error just adjust as you go.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

46. Thanks Asil/penny thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been feeding Purina Entrepelea pellets + whole yellow corn + horseracing oats to all my penned/on cords fowl and I like the results. I was feeding a commercial grain/pellet mix (Gory El Nogal) but some cocks wouldn't eat the pellet, others wouldn't eat the cracked corn and so on.

I started with 2 parts pellets 1 part corn 1 part oats.
    Now I'm at 4/1/1.