Thread: The "Joy" of using an Incubator..

Post Thanks / Like

The "Joy" of using an Incubator..

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The "Joy" of using an Incubator..

I always test myself if I can do certain other things aside from what I trained for.... I made and designed my own incubator .. with 2 6in dm fans at the top and 1fan below, STC 1000 Thermostat ( I remember Senti made me a sketch how to wire to the heater which was correct )wired with heating Element Plate , manual turning of eggs@ 99.7-100.5F.. test loaded 300 eggs..... candled at the 8th day, 235 were fertile.... candled at 14th day 205 made it..... candled at the 18th day, 185 eggs made it .. 3 days incubator converted to hatcher... reduced Temp to 99.5F... increased Humidity to 80%.... on the 20th day my Farm manager was very pessimistic of the outcome as it seems nothing was moving... he slept and when he woke and checked, 93 chicks hatched... well, I said not a bad result for a prototype and first test...about 50% hatch rate......
    I decided to modify and what my perception of improvement is of this incubator... I made baffles at the back... relocate the position of the fans and the heater to blow into the baffles with warmed air pushed into the baffles going to the bottom and suction back to the top and recirculated again into the baffles.. the 3rd Fan with toggle switch to suction fresh air into the 'bator when needed..... I changed the Thermostat to my more "expensive" thermostat which I thought will be "better" control of the temp..my 4 auto eggturner trays I shipped to the islands arrived so I used them..... loaded 168 eggs.... DURN!!! after 12 days the heater plate stopped working... it was already about after 24 hours that my farm manager realized that the heater was not working and he cursed my improvements...hahaha!!! he transferred whatever could be salvaged from the 168 eggs to the brooding 3 hens... we were able to get 12...
    I changed the heater plate and tested again with 16 yard eggs.... after 8 days the heater plate again stopped working.... now my farm manager wanted to chop my project into firewood!!!! ( I spent almost $200 in materials and labor and remodeling !! hahaha!! but there is no give up in me ).... I changed the Thermostat back to STC 1000, replaced the heater into a ceramic nichrome wire heater( the last available stock I have ) and test again... set all parameters, loaded 149 eggs now, with auto egg turning and now we are on our 15th day keeping our fingers crossed..... Hahaha!!! my Farm manager is praying morning... noon...and evening.... and before going to sleep.... will keep you posted of the outcome.... whether firewood.... or 10 healthy chicks!!!
    Last edited by Pinolim; December 10th, 2018 at 11:46 AM.

3. Likes Al Sanchez, Camarines liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I own two little giant 42 egg capacity styroform incubator. They did the work down my basement.

5. Likes Al Sanchez, Ron-706 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Camarines View Post
    I own two little giant 42 egg capacity styroform incubator. They did the work down my basement.
    Do you use the automatic turners also? And do you use one for the first 18 days and the other the last 3 days (without turner)? What temperatures do you use? Thank you for posting

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pinolim View Post
    I always test myself if I can do certain other things aside from what I trained for.... I made and designed my own incubator .. with 2 6in dm fans at the top and 1fan below, STC 1000 Thermostat ( I remember Senti made me a sketch how to wire to the heater which was correct )wired with heating Element Plate , manual turning of eggs@ 99.7-100.5F.. test loaded 300 eggs..... candled at the 8th day, 235 were fertile.... candled at 14th day 205 made it..... candled at the 18th day, 185 eggs made it .. 3 days incubator converted to hatcher... reduced Temp to 99.5F... increased Humidity to 80%.... on the 20th day my Farm manager was very pessimistic of the outcome as it seems nothing was moving... he slept and when he woke and checked, 93 chicks hatched... well, I said not a bad result for a prototype and first test...about 50% hatch rate......
    I decided to modify and what my perception of improvement is of this incubator... I made baffles at the back... relocate the position of the fans and the heater to blow into the baffles with warmed air pushed into the baffles going to the bottom and suction back to the top and recirculated again into the baffles.. the 3rd Fan with toggle switch to suction fresh air into the 'bator when needed..... I changed the Thermostat to my more "expensive" thermostat which I thought will be "better" control of the temp..my 4 auto eggturner trays I shipped to the islands arrived so I used them..... loaded 168 eggs.... DURN!!! after 12 days the heater plate stopped working... it was already about after 24 hours that my farm manager realized that the heater was not working and he cursed my improvements...hahaha!!! he transferred whatever could be salvaged from the 168 eggs to the brooding 3 hens... we were able to get 12...
    I changed the heater plate and tested again with 16 yard eggs.... after 8 days the heater plate again stopped working.... now my farm manager wanted to chop my project into firewood!!!! ( I spent almost $200 in materials and labor and remodeling !! hahaha!! but there is no give up in me ).... I changed the Thermostat back to STC 1000, replaced the heater into a ceramic nichrome wire heater( the last available stock I have ) and test again... set all parameters, loaded 149 eggs now, with auto egg turning and now we are on our 15th day keeping our fingers crossed..... Hahaha!!! my Farm manager is praying morning... noon...and evening.... and before going to sleep.... will keep you posted of the outcome.... whether firewood.... or 10 healthy chicks!!!
    80 percent humidity seems to mine not a home made one but it says to run the humidity 55 to 65 percent hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by samiyam007 View Post
    Do you use the automatic turners also? And do you use one for the first 18 days and the other the last 3 days (without turner)? What temperatures do you use? Thank you for posting
    Both have the automatic turner. No I did not use the system with the hatcher. I was not mindful also of the humidity so I did have some crooked toe chicks. The temp I use just what Mr. Pinolim posted above.

Post Thanks / Like

My home made incubator is more of a challenge to myself if I can do something else..and be good with it.... 70%-80% humidity is in the last 3 days in the hatcher as the pipping chicks will need the moisture to get out of the shell...during the incubation phase of 1-18 days humidity is 30-50% as the egg should loss about 13% of its weight by evaporation of its moisture inside the shell into outside of the shell..... if the incubator humidity is high during the incubation phase ( more than 50%) the egg will not loss the moisture inside the egg that it needed to loss so the chick will drown when it pips on the 18th-19th day in the hatcher.....I ran my humidity inside the incubator 35-40% during the incubation phase... If I can get these 3rd batch into 85% hatch that will be very good for me already......
    Last edited by Pinolim; December 11th, 2018 at 07:23 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Hope it works for you didn't mean anything by it just trying to help. Mine are different than yours mine are the new style gqf incubator and Hatcher. They say on the side of the 45 to 55% humidity in the incubator 55 to 65% humidity in the Hatcher and I hatch 80 plus percent of what's put in the Hatcher so maybe it will help.

11. Likes Al Sanchez liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by spring creek View Post
    Hope it works for you didn't mean anything by it just trying to help. Mine are different than yours mine are the new style gqf incubator and Hatcher. They say on the side of the 45 to 55% humidity in the incubator 55 to 65% humidity in the Hatcher and I hatch 80 plus percent of what's put in the Hatcher so maybe it will help.
    We all learn from each other's experience and posting... I would even say thank you for sharing ..... we're almost running the same parameters except my project runs about 70-75% humidity during the last 3 days of hatching.... I have to add, our area has a very high humidity even in the room where my 2 incubators are located my room humidity runs 80% most of the time with minimum being 70% that is why I do dry incubation to run my humidity to 45% during the incubation phase with 2 ventilation holes open both in my old incubator and my project incubator..... I get 88% hatch on my old manual incubator 3X these last 4 months running these parameters...
    Last edited by Pinolim; December 11th, 2018 at 12:14 PM.

13. Likes spring creek liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My Home made incubator... currently with 75 fertile eggs on its 17th day of incubation.... loaded 145 eggs last Nov 28, 75 fertile eggs remained after candling on the 14th day ...getting excited with the outcome..