Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can you manipulate pointing

Post Thanks / Like

Can you manipulate pointing

What's yalls opinion on dropping them more to come on point quicker or dropping less to prolong them coming on? Or do you think it's just a natural rythem fowl have? (Like they may be dropping empty but still hasn't hit the (POINT)

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Can you manipulate pointing

Yes you can , it takes time and effort. But it does pay off. You can adjust in many ways . For example a shot of B 12 will get them moving and dropping more.a few drops of nux vomica will do the same. Dropping them more often will also do he trick .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by longheel View Post
    Yes you can , it takes time and effort. But it does pay off. You can adjust in many ways . For example a shot of B 12 will get them moving and dropping more.a few drops of nux vomica will do the same. Dropping them more often will also do he trick .
    So you think dropping them less can prolong them coming on to?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes. It will slow the process if thy still have a little feed in them. Remember once they are close to empty is when the humidity can affect them.

5. Likes runner liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Howdy longheel, if chosen for this purpose, how many hours before showtime should this B12 be given?And, would it be 1/4 cc, or 1/2cc in the breast? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

My fowls dropping have been all over the place. I think I see the dime size white that mean gut empty then comes a regular feed dropping. I cant believe Im watching droppings now

8. Thanks LaBlue thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nguzm001 View Post
    My fowls dropping have been all over the place. I think I see the dime size white that mean gut empty then comes a regular feed dropping. I cant believe Im watching droppings now
    as long as you get regular feed droppings then your fowl was never gut empty.

10. Thanks nguzm001 thanked for this post
    Likes LaBlue, regulargrey liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Will i be able to tell if i ever get the droppings consistent in a spar?

Post Thanks / Like

The more you drop them or pester them , the less sharp they will be . Dropping birds out because it's our habit or we just want to do something is about like doing jumping jacks because the boss is watching and we want to look busy

13. Thanks Noshow thanked for this post
    Likes yard bird, flarreyeye, DenDog, jemm65, danitor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

let me say that as long as i can remember everyone’s been trying to manipulate chickens to get on point for the show. some with success and some not so much. well i’ve told someone who asked me before that he shouldn’t be messing with it until he understands the science behind it and that a well conditioned bird will perform better than an off point one. until now he says that he still does not point his chicken but he said that he's learned they pass their feed a certain length of time after feeding. maybe he’s getting there. .....timing is everything. fis

15. Likes Bloodsport, CA whitetoppy06 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

would I be able to tell in a spar when my birds are gut empty and near on point? I do believe when we spar the birds that are sparred are not gut empty.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Quapaw Kid View Post
    The more you drop them or pester them , the less sharp they will be . Dropping birds out because it's our habit or we just want to do something is about like doing jumping jacks because the boss is watching and we want to look busy
    I mostly agree but if my cocks are dumping feed. I dump them every two hours. When they get on point I peck them every two hours. I've been doing this for many years. I don't expierment any more.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LaBlue View Post
    I mostly agree but if my cocks are dumping feed. I dump them every two hours. When they get on point I peck them every two hours. I've been doing this for many years. I don't expierment any more.
    Heck mr Del when mine are still dumping feed i start dropping every hour until they're closer too where i want them, then when i start pecking em its every two hrs when i drop them out.

19. Likes Sig1911, nguzm001 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

They cant come on point till there empty. The more you drop them the quicker they will empty, Now there gonna drop on there own, but less frequent when in a box blacked, out. I will drop as often as 40 minutes depending what they feel and look like and when the show starts. Once on point I don't peck them till at least 2 hours goes by or There dropping starts to loose color or gets real small. But that's just me.

21. Thanks RLaurent14 thanked for this post
    Likes Sig1911, gaff liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

When folks get to the pit and start dropping every hour , it tells me they are in a bind ... or creating one . Every two hours is what I try and do , if they are on track in the morning for a noon-ish weigh in then they need to come around in their head more than they need to poop ...

That's the artistry part of it and where you gotta know the fowl and trust your hands ... do you sacrifice sharpness for moisture ? Gamble on letting them get sharp and dump less ? I'd say there are alot of fowl that are fighting it more than you think and creating more work on the feeder ... you can't forget that the home stretch when you have them close needs to come from insisde them just like gameness and intention

23. Thanks nguzm001 thanked for this post
    Likes RLaurent14 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've ran enough through the cockhouse that I believe I got a pretty good idea of what time to feed to make sure I ain't sitting there bothering chickens by dropping them out all the time......sometimes we need to just leave them the hell alone

Post Thanks / Like

So if I get white gut dropping then a feed dropping then another white dropping whats going on there? In a perfect world I read it goes from feed to that green mustard one then the dime size white. Is there a science to get there?

Post Thanks / Like

Is there a dropping chart someone is willing to share? Thanks in advance

Post Thanks / Like

Here you go sir. It was discussed before.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=game...3lHsnnxKxmeJ4M

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodsport View Post
    Here you go sir. It was discussed before.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=game...3lHsnnxKxmeJ4M
    Thank you much. I searched through forums under weight but did not find what i was looking for

Post Thanks / Like

I've been a ship insectar most of my life. You will learn what's wet or dry. Even when they are truly on. Most times you see it before you know for sure. Any way I do.

30. Likes southernX, nguzm001, Sig1911 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I will try to use what I have learned from this site for my up coming show. So far my fowl is liking it and showing response . I'm hoping for a blue ribbon, if not at least a good showing.

Post Thanks / Like

Originally Posted by longheel

Howdy longheel, if chosen for this purpose, how many hours before showtime should this B12 be given?And, would it be 1/4 cc, or 1/2cc in the breast? Thanks
    @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Just putting this up in case somebody else here have used B12 for this purpose, and want to chime in on the question.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FILAMEX View Post
    Originally Posted by longheel

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Just putting this up in case somebody else here have used B12 for this purpose, and want to chime in on the question.

I appriciate that you ask so many questions on here . I am a life long cocker and still try to learn myself. But there are too many variables to answer your questions. For example, how much feed are they holding ? What did you feed ? What kind of roosters are they ? Did a wheater front come in ? Is your b12 different than mine.
    if I where you I would get some b12 and some roosters and experiment. I promise you will learn more that way.

34. Likes yard bird liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I appriciate that you ask so many questions on here . I am a life long cocker and still try to learn myself. But there are too many variables to answer your questions. For example, how much feed are they holding ? What did you feed ? What kind of roosters are they ? Did a wheater front come in ? Is your b12 different than mine.
    if I where you I would get some b12 and some roosters and experiment. I promise you will learn more that way.
    Wow...you need to answer all those questions before using a b12? I'm just assuming that nux vomica would require the same. If this is the case, then I think you are right on, that it needs experimentations with respect to all those conditions/questions for their proper use. Looks like that option to drop them more often if feed is observed is the easiest to do. Anyway, thanks for appreciating my many questions on here. It's just because like you said, we don't know everything, right?.

Post Thanks / Like

Do to a few helping me I feel this may help a few. First you have got to have GOOD poultry. Once they sharp it is on the fowl then. They will not be pacing when on. Also in drop pen they may be sitting there pruning their feathers. When you pic him up his legs will be shaking like crazy. Now some fowl can handle getting to the nickle/dime size dropping with no green or solid, but some fowl can't. I do not know if this variation happens between brothers or families yet. But that is my next experiment.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the combination of experiments in order to crack the code for cocking excellence. Hey without experiments and test we would have never discovered this world is round

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Is there a time limit for them to drop. The time from stall to drop pen. and from drop pen to stall? I believe in only a perfect world that when you pull him from the stall to the drop pen, he does his business in a minute or so and you put him back in his stall. Or do we give him lets say about 30 minutes to do his thing and acclimatize to his surroundings

Post Thanks / Like

Pointing is all about manipulation. You manipulate his diet, moisture, rest, and exposure to light. Dropping out is a very valuable tool in pointing. Mike Ratliff told us the first to drop out was what he looked for. Our school dropped out at the derby we went to and he selected the 1st cocks to drop out in the drop pens. We won the derby.

40. Likes southernX, jemm65, gaff, LaBlue liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So much variables in putting up an outstanding show. I remember when just going to a show and never really paying attention to poo. Granted we never did well