Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: best Feeds an supplement for gamefows

Post Thanks / Like

best Feeds an supplement for gamefows

There are a lot of chick boosters, stag developers, etc.

Mind sharing your feeding guide and supplements guys including the result from day 0 or do you have any recommendation?

Much appreciated from an amateur like me in here.

Thanks in advance

Post Thanks / Like

Re: best Feeds an supplement for gamefows

Natural?
    Apple cider vinegar, helps against cocci (by changing their crop'd pH level), and they also enjoy the taste!
    Garlic, is good to prevent diseases. So is oregano oil but I haven't tried it! Can't get it locally.
    Also grit if you think they aren't getting any naturally.

Other than that maybe some electrolytes during the warmer months but don't over do it! And depending how crowded your yard/farm is some dewormer a few times a year. I use ivermectin.

When I started out I tended to overmedicate my fowl! Stuff like preventive antibiotics, deworming too often... you think you might be helping your fowl but you could end up doing more harm than good.

Post Thanks / Like

I free range from day 1, let mother nature do her part. You will lose a few this way due to many reasons but if they make it to penning age in my experience you won't find no healthier fowl. I don't buy into all the medications for young chicks. Not saying it doesn't work but I just couldn't get it down. After penning age you can give vitamins regularly but free range I just don't think they need it. No secret vitamin or supplement in this game, if they are I haven't found it yet. Keep good clean feed and water for them and they will do fine.

4. Likes Hoghunter, bazsdmeg2u liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I like to boost the protein at breeding with some extra dogfood and maybe adding grouts and peas. Does anybody use Lucky Buck's Lucky Layer supplement? Not real high protein, it's heavy in alfalfa and carrots. I think it might help egg quality at a time of year when there isn't much green range. Comes in a 12 pound bucket and it's about $2/pound, $25:

Whether you have a small or large flock of chickens, they will benefit from the Lucky Layer Supplement. The key ingredients in Lucky Layer improves overall shell strength, gives the yolks a healthy bright orange color and provides chickens with the nutrients they need. Chickens do not always get a balanced diet, especially if they are caged or unable to eat grasses or other forms of forage because of the season. Lucky Layer contains dry carrots, alfalfa products and carrot juice concentrate which provides beta carotene, vitamins and minerals resulting in a more complete diet.

Lucky Layer is easy to use. Just add a scoop to their feed daily. It comes with a measuring scoop and a resealable bucket for secure storage.

FEEDING DIRECTIONS: Lucky Layer should be fed as a top dress to laying chickens along with a complete layer feed. Feed one 3 oz. scoop (included) per 6 chickens. Can be mixed at the rate of 4 lbs. per 50 lbs. of complete layer feed. Provide plenty of fresh, clean water.

INGREDIENTS: Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Dehydrated Carrots, Carrot Juice Concentrate, Diatomaceous Earth, Sea Kelp, Oyster Shells, Calcium Carbonate, Calcium Citrate, Coral Calcium, Sodium Bicarbonate, Vitamin D3 Supplement.

https://www.lucky-buck.com/products/...t-12-lb-bucket

Post Thanks / Like

Do we need another thread on this because a guy with one post is asking ? yes .. we do !

7. Thanks Talbo19 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It was started . . . And unlike most, actually says supplement.

9. Likes brkilr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Some of yall probably have taken some vitamins and supplements or had to eat MRE's and such ... it either upsets your stomach , makes your pee yellow or leaves you wanting more . A good feed shouldn't need supplements ... if you just gotta , make sure it's something that is a normal food and just happens to supplement like boiled eggs or such.

I have a buddy that thinks REd Cell can cure anything from two years of neglect , crd , cancer and runs in pantyhose . He was using it and got some on his hand - scooped up a dip of Copenhagen and was puking from that smear of Red Cell . I never used it again after seeing that ...

11. Likes Mossy Dell liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Quapaw Kid View Post
    Some of yall probably have taken some vitamins and supplements or had to eat MRE's and such ... it either upsets your stomach , makes your pee yellow or leaves you wanting more . A good feed shouldn't need supplements ... if you just gotta , make sure it's something that is a normal food and just happens to supplement like boiled eggs or such.

I have a buddy that thinks REd Cell can cure anything from two years of neglect , crd , cancer and runs in pantyhose . He was using it and got some on his hand - scooped up a dip of Copenhagen and was puking from that smear of Red Cell . I never used it again after seeing that ...
    my friend you are a trip. Nothing wrong with being opinionated so I'd say nothing wrong with you brother, but I promise you this- I can down an oz of red cell but I'll **** in a couple minutes with one tiny dip of Copenhagen. And that's just one example of things you've said that's crazy. Lol but I still love this hatch /Rampury you sent me.

13. Likes brkilr, roostercm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't put it past him to have gve his butt a scratch between the red cell and taking a dip .. But I can't see red cell to this day without imagining the smell of **** .. He still feeds it though

Post Thanks / Like

Good feed is easy enough to find, just lay your money down. The hard part is all the little things you add to your program. Sour Oats, Dog and Cat Food, Fresh Water, Sun Flower Seeds etc, etc. There something magical when my fowl feel good in my hands.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LaBlue View Post
    my friend you are a trip. Nothing wrong with being opinionated so I'd say nothing wrong with you brother, but I promise you this- I can down an oz of red cell but I'll **** in a couple minutes with one tiny dip of Copenhagen. And that's just one example of things you've said that's crazy. Lol but I still love this hatch /Rampury you sent me.
    He will get you to think out of the box.
    Kind of breaks the monotony.

17. Likes blackman, LaBlue, Mossy Dell liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My birds have been feed nine way feed mill special with 20% dog feed since before I was born. Since I got them we swapped them over to showtime maintenance with just a little calf mana mixed in. They went from being kinda dull to red headed and fired up in just a few weeks. My uncle says it's to clean of a feed. Anyone else ever hear of to clean feed?

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk

19. Likes Mossy Dell liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Guess I have waisted a lot of time sitting in front of a fan cleaning my keep feed.

21. Likes Mossy Dell liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hoghunter View Post
    Guess I have waisted a lot of time sitting in front of a fan cleaning my keep feed.
    He always blew out his keep feed he saying for the yard it's to clean.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jake hill farm View Post
    My birds have been feed nine way feed mill special with 20% dog feed since before I was born. Since I got them we swapped them over to showtime maintenance with just a little calf mana mixed in. They went from being kinda dull to red headed and fired up in just a few weeks. My uncle says it's to clean of a feed. Anyone else ever hear of to clean feed?

Jake, I would say it's the better scratch and the calf mana. Now I am leery of calf manna like BamaOkie was. And other miracle supplements. Agree with QK that excellent natural feed is best. Showtime looks like a fine base feed, just be careful on the manna.

Personally I like some really good high protein dogfood tho. Gives animal protein to balance grains and any soy-based layer pellets. But I like 32% (from chicken) Diamond Natural Large Breed Puppy in my maintenance. And some 33% Yukon fish-based in breeding and molt rations.

Otherwise I like at least 60 percent good whole grains.

24. Likes Hoghunter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hoghunter View Post
    He will get you to think out of the box.
    Kind of breaks the monotony.
    Agree. QK is like the catfish they put in tanks of fish bound for slaughter to keep em from sinking to the bottom and dying. I admire his fire in the belly. I imagine he is harder on himself than anyone. The quest for excellence is never easy. And consider our sport and our times.
    Last edited by Mossy Dell; October 19th, 2019 at 06:09 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm kinda nervous about the mana too just about a large drink cup per 50 lbs scratch. Every other sack is how I have been doing it

Post Thanks / Like

Jake , I feed dogs to hunt hard ... Chicken makes the labels read better but beef makes em go harder . Soybean is for making labels read good but it don't the horsepower don't make it to the drawbar .. If you see em ****ting rich , brown stuff then back off the manna .

A fish meal dog food is hard to beat and you don't got spend a fortune ... It may cost up front but go easy and it will last . Don't mix by adding 10% or this or that .. Get a handful of feed and add a few kernels to where you can say .. Yeah , they are getting a few bites per day.. It won't take as much as you think

28. Likes LaBlue liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Jake , I feed dogs to hunt hard ... Chicken makes the labels read better but beef makes em go harder . Soybean is for making labels read good but it don't the horsepower don't make it to the drawbar .. If you see em ****ting rich , brown stuff then back off the manna .

A fish meal dog food is hard to beat and you don't got spend a fortune ... It may cost up front but go easy and it will last . Don't mix by adding 10% or this or that .. Get a handful of feed and add a few kernels to where you can say .. Yeah , they are getting a few bites per day.. It won't take as much as you think
    Thanks I was looking for a cleaner protein than the sunshine dog feed didnt think about better quality dog feed gone switch to some I was already worried about the mana being too much and yall are showing me I was right to think so

Post Thanks / Like

Back in the 80s I caused a problem with vitamins being over done in my fowl. They looked great felt good but when sparing they went to $hit. Heads got dark and beak came open after a few buckles. Since then I am weary of all supplements. Still use them but very sparingly.

31. Likes Mossy Dell liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I like a little red cell this time of year as they are really putting on feathers and can be slightly anemic from the blood needed to their new feathers. The red cell has iron and b vitamins that can help build blood cells. There are other blood builders that are good also. Red Cell is one of those things that a little can be good, but too much is harmful so you have to be careful on how much you give. Another supplement I really believe in on overall health in fowl is probiotics. I really believe from both the reading I have done and the results that I have seen, probiotics can not only help them get the most nutritional value from their feed and boost their digestive system, but also help boost their natural immune system and I have yet to hear about any negative effects.

33. Thanks Mossy Dell thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by springwater View Post
    I like a little red cell this time of year as they are really putting on feathers and can be slightly anemic from the blood needed to their new feathers. The red cell has iron and b vitamins that can help build blood cells. There are other blood builders that are good also. Red Cell is one of those things that a little can be good, but too much is harmful so you have to be careful on how much you give. Another supplement I really believe in on overall health in fowl is probiotics. I really believe from both the reading I have done and the results that I have seen, probiotics can not only help them get the most nutritional value from their feed and boost their digestive system, but also help boost their natural immune system and I have yet to hear about any negative effects.
    Fermented oats is full of probiotics also there putting them in chicken pellets too, one brand is Nutrena

35. Likes Mossy Dell liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Jay, what kind of probiotics do you like and how do you feed them?

I have fed Conklin Fastrack to chicks in the mash when I was making my own. It helps.

Post Thanks / Like

Disciple, Nutrena is made by Cargill and they also put probiotics in their Southern States line booster pellet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mossy Dell View Post
    Disciple, Nutrena is made by Cargill and they also put probiotics in their Southern States line booster pellet.
    I feed the Nutrena feather fixer year round in my mix and it has probiotics in it . Also feed soaked oats daily plus the diamond naturals puppy has probiotics to so they get lots of probiotics . Nutrena seems to make a good quality feed . I know its the only pellet ive ever fed that they actually eat very well .
    Last edited by Steel city farm; October 20th, 2019 at 04:04 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Steel City, the Nutrena line is nice! like the smaller pellet. Feather Fixer is great. My local TSC may not have it as fresh as some—I wish more would feed it so that would change.

40. Likes Steel city farm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mossy Dell View Post
    Steel City, the Nutrena line is nice! like the smaller pellet. Feather Fixer is great. My local TSC may not have it as fresh as some—I wish more would feed it so that would change.
    I had that problem 1 time Mossy and i talked to the managers at Tractor supply ans i even went as far as calling Nutrena and tellng them about the problem and it was handled very quickly and i have never had the problem with fresheness again

42. Thanks Mossy Dell thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

While we are on the subject of good pellets with extras, I recently discovered one that's impressive. A company called New Country Organics based in Waynesboro, VA, and Lubbock, TX, sells a 23% Grower Pellet High Protein and its first two ingredients are peas and fish meal.

It is expensive, $29.75, and only 35 lbs. However, it would allow me to cut the dogfood in my maintenance feed. Also it's soy free.:

http://www.newcountryorganics.com/sh...35-lb-bag.html

Where I live, one of the facilities delivers free on a truck to a nearby town. On line, shipping is free for 25 lb bags of chicken feed, such as mash.

Post Thanks / Like

Mossy Dell , those pellets sound like a copy of the Mana Pro I use .. They are good .

Thing about pellets ..unless they list specific ingredients like Manna Pro or call it
    locked .. They can put anything they want in each batch .. And they do .

45. Likes Steel city farm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mossy Dell , those pellets sound like a copy of the Mana Pro I use .. They are good .

Thing about pellets ..unless they list specific ingredients like Manna Pro or call it
    locked .. They can put anything they want in each batch .. And they do .
    Mana pro makes a pellet that reads better on paper then tbe feathwr fixer but i cant seem to find it in my area ans i belive its a 20% pellet. Where do u get yours ?
    Last edited by Steel city farm; October 20th, 2019 at 04:05 AM.