Thread: Keep/Rest stalls can you do without

Post Thanks / Like

Keep/Rest stalls can you do without

If i don't got a keep stall right now can I rest them in a drop pen use wire so they off the ground probably cover with a blanket.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Keep/Rest stalls can you do without

Quote Originally Posted by nguzm001 View Post
    If i don't got a keep stall right now can I rest them in a drop pen use wire so they off the ground probably cover with a blanket.
    I think you maybe need to put some money into building a wood stall with perches before you take the next step. it will be a help for you and your birds. my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you danitor

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

4. Likes danitor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Guz, you shld have seen our 1st ones lol. They were made from a bunch of scrap that had nothing nice to say about it. Eventually made better ones in terms of eye appeal but anything at the time was better than none. As long as you get something made for them to rest well because ultimately its not abt how it looks as long as it does its job. You, the person behind the curtain, mattered the most.
    Semper Fidelis
    Last edited by KevinG; January 26th, 2019 at 01:17 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I knew a guy that never used stalls. He had drop pens with roost poles and felt paper on the bottom. They were in his shop when the lights were out it was totally dark. When he was ready to drop them out he would turn on the light. While he was working he had his wife turn on the light at certain times. He did really well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks pasqaully that's what I was going to do put a roost stand in the drop pen, under my garage maybe a blanket to black them out. Not as sophisticated as turning lights on to drop em out but a place to calm down and relax. Is not that we are trying to accomplish a stress free environment for the pointing out process. I live in a residential area although we have always had a few birds all the time I think they may get nervous when I start building coops

Post Thanks / Like

No way you could get em sharp without stalls . You gotta have carry boxes anyway .. They can double as both

9. Thanks don128 thanked for this post
    Likes don128, Henpen, MONGOOSE, cutcutcut, KevinG, nem76 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The proble is high himidity in the winter and cold rain etc. Someone once said under 70 in rest stalls over in 3x3 scratch pens and put on roosts at nite. Depends what kind of structure they r under too
    Last edited by nem76; January 26th, 2019 at 08:33 AM.

11. Likes cutcutcut, KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Quapaw Kid View Post
    No way you could get em sharp without stalls . You gotta have carry boxes anyway .. They can double as both
    Wouldn't stress them out cause its too small for a period of 3 days?

Post Thanks / Like

Shorty said hungry horny and well rested.... black out boxes fly pens a working table all this I see on here can we get by without says we ain't got the money or time to get it all set up. Cocking ain't a cheap hobby it's an expensive job, and if you can't afford the money or time save what you so have and go fishing.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

14. Likes Thunderbirds, nem76 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wouldn't stress them out cause its too small for a period of 3 days?
    We use some custom made stalls that are between carry and keep size.

You gotta tweak it for your fowl .. Three days is a long time , that's for cocks that have been handled out and fed outta stalls . If a guy is winging it .. Then you better wing that last three days down too .. If you mostly just pull feed and pull em off cords then stalling he day before is plenty . Three days is for guys with time to watch them all day , climatized cockhouse and have a pointing system

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Quapaw I'm still a beginner when it comes to showing birds. I would say I lost more than I won. I'm trying to get back in the game putting together a keep from what I learned and what I have. So far worming every month, feed soak oats, some fruits and veggies, water every day. They look good kinda tempted to go from cords to the pit, feed um and drop em out one day show the next.

Post Thanks / Like

I live in tropical weather not to hot not to cold and it never snows. We sometimes have 2 and 3 click derbies mainly for beginner or people just winging it. Or just hack to test if 1 lose badly oh well go home I guess.

Post Thanks / Like

We quit using keep stalls, just have removeable roost poles in fly pens. Last week no straw,ect feed only in a cup and remove poles every morning . Shade cloth ,ect for the 3 days if needed. So, every night they will always roost on poles so they drop out " good " every morning.that just works better for us but may not for you. They will be in stalls when traveling and at the pit seems to be good enough.
    Last edited by bootlegger; January 27th, 2019 at 10:48 AM. Reason: wrong

19. Likes bonegetter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In the Philippines you can use the foldable pen. Some made in aluminum, plywood, or plastic. These foldable pens are use in derbies where the cockpits doesn't have enough cockhouse.

Post Thanks / Like

camarines I seen some here but they look small.

Post Thanks / Like

camarines I seen some here but they look small.

Not to me it's not. It's what we use in the Philippines. A cheap wooden one cost 1,800 pesos but the aluminum cost at about 5k pesos.

Post Thanks / Like

And pretty expensive. Thanks for the info tho

Post Thanks / Like

5k is not too bad I wonder if my uncle can bring one down for me. I wonder if can ship on the plane as baggage

Post Thanks / Like

5k is not too bad I wonder if my uncle can bring one down for me. I wonder if can ship on the plane as baggage

I'm sure it can be ship. Try asking people whose business is shipping balikbayan boxes like LBC. I search facebook and found this https://m.facebook.com/rai.jacaranda

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the link camarines. Ill ask my uncle to see if he can bring one down for me, Where I'm at it sells for quadruple the price compared to the price in PI. If he cant I may have to get it here never know it may make me luckier. If I get 2 wins and a good keep to follow I should be golden lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the link camarines. Ill ask my uncle to see if he can bring one down for me, Where I'm at it sells for quadruple the price compared to the price in PI. If he cant I may have to get it here never know it may make me luckier. If I get 2 wins and a good keep to follow I should be golden lol.
    I suggest you make one or someone make it for you. I'm thinking of making one myself. I still have my old wooden foldable pen but I disassembled it to replace the hinges, bought the hinges but still have not assemble it together. Can't find the time to do it. My suggestion is, because like you said with shipping and all, it would quadruple the cost. Experience had taught be that. I bought those green pyramid pens cheap (total three pens) but the airline treated it an irregular baggage because of the size, I have to pay extra and have no choice but to use my credit card.

Post Thanks / Like

I got my friend to build me a rest stall roughly a 2X2 stall. So I did a test run and am using them in my keep I rested my birds for 2 days in the keep stall and sparred them to see where there at and they didn't look to good. I feel they did better in the spar when pulled off the tee pees. I dont see where Im going wrong. I do notice the birds are happier coming off teepees rather than being in a confined space like a 2X2 stall

Post Thanks / Like

2 days left in a stall! They aren't going to be as good in my experience.
    I always rested mine the 24 hours before show but they get periodic drop outs and feed and moisture.

30. Likes don128 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I use my stalls the whole keep put in at dark let out in the morning and rotated from scratch pen fly pens and cords put in barn about one hour before dark then hand work then put back in stalls then rest and drop and stretch and love the last 5 days

Post Thanks / Like

It’s not only more humane to have rest stalls, lol it is more convenient to have and easier to clean/keep them out of crap, rested safe..

but burlap sacks In the old days.. did folks just hang em up in burlap sack? I want to hear it?

Post Thanks / Like

bumping to get rid of the sh#t.......................................

34. Likes don128 liked this post