Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Friends of Johnny Mays

Post Thanks / Like

Friends of Johnny Mays

Thought I'd start a thread on Ole Johnny Mays. Maybe Others can start one on individuals that really impacted their cocking.
    Anyone that has a tale to tell about Ole Johnny (as he told a few) tell them here. I'll post a newspaper article tomorrow if I can figure it out of Johnny in a SC hometown newspaper at the beginning of WW2 killing a Jap pilot that fired on him after being shot down. Johnny was a character to say the least. I was partners with him the last years of his life and had the pleasure of winning a few derbies that last spring. The education (good and bad hahhaa) he gave me was invaluable. Some of the guys he helped and mentored are out there and if so please reach out as I would like to know you.

2. Thanks Sig1911, roostercm thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Friends of Johnny Mays

Tommy Greene,owner of the Virginia Sportmans Club is here with me tonight until the last day of the Candelaria Derby,he was a close friend of Johnny Mays,Mr.Greene always tell me stories about Johnny Mays,Johnny May's father was the secretary general of the Orlando Tournament at the golden age of cocking,Hatch,Marsh,Murphy,Madigin participated in the Orlando Tournament,as an 11 year old boy,Johnny wanted to learn more about cocking so his Dad told him to help Mr.Marsh if he wanted to know more and after the tournament which Mr.Marsh won,Johnny was gifted with a Butcher family that Johnny bred till his death,the only Butcher infused was from Man O' War Tom Schwigen.Johnny Mays was also gifted with a Chocolate Grey from Harry Parr.I wish i could tell more about the man.

4. Thanks Sig1911 thanked for this post
    Likes KevinG, Al Sanchez liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

From old thread started by brownred kelso...

redbreeder
    January 27th, 2011, 10:34 AM

Johnny Mays...mr. Cockfighter, as he was known around the sportsman club in this Virginia area. He was a Butcher man mainly as he got butcher blood from marsh himself way back in the day. He bred them for years and years up until his passing. Harry parr willed John Mays the Chocolate Grey's at his death with the words because your the only person I trust to keep them straight as a family. John lived around the Dismal swamp area....

brownred kelso
    January 27th, 2011, 10:47 AM

Speaking of oldtimers.... You guys knew "the butcher man" the late John Mays of Cheasapeak Va.?

I remember seeing him around back when the sportsman club was just called "Franklin" in the old building, he was a nice fella,,,,his picture was in the Gamecock magazine obituary and i thought he was wearing a military uniform, let me know if my memory was accurate not being there and everything,, you miss a few details here and there......nice post!!

6. Likes MarshButcher, KevinG, Al Sanchez, Sig1911 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by frederick sy View Post
    Tommy Greene,owner of the Virginia Sportmans Club is here with me tonight until the last day of the Candelaria Derby,he was a close friend of Johnny Mays,Mr.Greene always tell me stories about Johnny Mays,Johnny May's father was the secretary general of the Orlando Tournament at the golden age of cocking,Hatch,Marsh,Murphy,Madigin participated in the Orlando Tournament,as an 11 year old boy,Johnny wanted to learn more about cocking so his Dad told him to help Mr.Marsh if he wanted to know more and after the tournament which Mr.Marsh won,Johnny was gifted with a Butcher family that Johnny bred till his death,the only Butcher infused was from Man O' War Tom Schwigen.Johnny Mays was also gifted with a Chocolate Grey from Harry Parr.I wish i could tell more about the man.
    Tell Tommy I said glad he made it. You boys behave yourself, you arne't 21 anymore hahhaha. Hopefully next year I can join Tommy there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Camarines View Post
    From old thread started by brownred kelso...

redbreeder
    January 27th, 2011, 10:34 AM

Johnny Mays...mr. Cockfighter, as he was known around the sportsman club in this Virginia area. He was a Butcher man mainly as he got butcher blood from marsh himself way back in the day. He bred them for years and years up until his passing. Harry parr willed John Mays the Chocolate Grey's at his death with the words because your the only person I trust to keep them straight as a family. John lived around the Dismal swamp area....

brownred kelso
    January 27th, 2011, 10:47 AM

Speaking of oldtimers.... You guys knew "the butcher man" the late John Mays of Cheasapeak Va.?

I remember seeing him around back when the sportsman club was just called "Franklin" in the old building, he was a nice fella,,,,his picture was in the Gamecock magazine obituary and i thought he was wearing a military uniform, let me know if my memory was accurate not being there and everything,, you miss a few details here and there......nice post!!
    Johnny was a veteran of WW2, Korea and Vietnam so yes BRK saw correctly. He had so many medals on his chest his jacket sagged to the side seemed like hahaha

Post Thanks / Like

Looking forward to see you Sir Peter.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Webby!!!
    Its really not that hard with a little edumacation.

Post Thanks / Like

15. Thanks Sig1911 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Is that Larry Potter bottom picture with black baseball cap on the left with white t-shirt.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by peter g View Post
    Johnny was a veteran of WW2, Korea and Vietnam so yes BRK saw correctly. He had so many medals on his chest his jacket sagged to the side seemed like hahaha
    That is one bad son of a gun, respectfully. I cant even imagine, 3 of them! Lol wow. Hand salute, what he saw was beyond imaginable.
    Rest well Johnny Mays, solid mind.
    Semper Fidelis
    Last edited by KevinG; February 9th, 2019 at 10:24 AM.

18. Thanks White thai thanked for this post
    Likes CA whitetoppy06 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Camarines View Post
    Is that Larry Potter bottom picture with black baseball cap on the left with white t-shirt.
    I'm not sure. I'll ask Tommy and let you know. He was a partner with Rufus Newsom for a while. I thought his name was Tony but I could be mistaken.

20. Likes Camarines liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by peter g View Post
    I think i have seen that bottom right picture... Feathered Warrior 1984... let me look for that magazine again.

22. Likes Camarines liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sig1911 View Post
    I think i have seen that bottom right picture... Feathered Warrior 1984... let me look for that magazine again.
    Right is Johnny Mays, Ricky "Wicky" Coley, Rufus Newsom, Bill Coley, Rufus' partner for a while, (not sure but Tony?), and the Great Tommy Greene.
    I'll never forget Johnny Mays telling me. "Pete, they can say what they want but I'm telling you, above and beyond anything else, Tommy Greene is a great Cockfighter. Coming from a guy that knew and fought the greats thats quite a compliment I'd say.

24. Thanks Sig1911 thanked for this post
    Likes White thai liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Two guys on back row to right of bottom right photo are Bill Coley And Ricky Coley

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

26. Thanks Sig1911 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry Peter G I jumped the gun and posted before I read 5hat you had already posted who was in pick. Kinda got excited that I saw someone I knew. They were friends of my family since before I was born.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BarleyNC View Post
    Two guys on back row to right of bottom right photo are Bill Coley And Ricky Coley

Yes sir you are right.
    I'm terrible with names haha, tel me how much something cost or you paid and I have it but tell me your name and I'm forgetting that in two seconds haha.
    Top left pic is right to left (and I'll take all the help I can get hahahhaa, Mike Haggard? I do know he was an Iron worker by trade as I worked with him. In fact he is the reason I'm into gamefowl now. One gamecock magazine, a few chats and a hatch cock and a few WT Greene grey hens from Tommy Greene and I was hooked hahahaha. The next two on the front are Greenes and the next three I have no clue.
    The next guy in the front I should and do know but my memory slips me. next in the back is Andy Pointer, a painter by trade. Front row is Johnny Mays then Tommy Greene beside him. Not sure about the rest of the back row though.

Post Thanks / Like

30. Likes KevinG, Camarines, RLaurent14 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A lot of people know the name and owe their fowl to this man but may not know what he looks like or where he's from etc.

32. Likes KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

34. Thanks Sig1911 thanked for this post
    Likes Krackers Koop, KevinG, don128, Camarines liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mr. W. T. Greene and Rufus Newsom.

Post Thanks / Like

Tommy Greene, Joe Z, John Allen Harrel and John Allen Harrels son in law. Sorry I don't know his name.

37. Thanks Sig1911 thanked for this post
    Likes Camarines liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Only know one of these guys but the story is interesting.
    Far left is Walt Clark from Chincoteuage Island. Walt and Johnny were friends, At least after their initial meting hahhaa.
    Walt was in the United States Marines and Johnny was in the United States Navy. Just so happened that there was a little war going on in the Pacific and Johnny was in charge of getting fresh water to the marines on shore as well as floating in fresh water on the tide in 55 gallon drums. I'm not positive as my memories fails me but I believe it was Iwo Jimo or Okinawa. Anyway Johnny was ashore and going from crater to crater as there was water in the bottom of the craters from rain. Johnny was pulling a dead marine from the bottom of the crater so his blood wouldn't contaminate the water when Walt ran into the crater. Walt thought Johnny was looting the Marines body as he had him around the waist lifting him. Walt pulled down on him and there was a bit of explanation hahahaha. One or the other had a Grit and Steel in his waist band and the other saw it and the rest is history.
    Side note to this is I spent more time with Johnny than anyone at least in his older years and besides some of his partners from the past, Otis, Gurley etc I don't know who living would have listened to more of his tales than me. That said I never knew when he was telling a tale and being serious. Thinking on this story, which has been collaborated by Walt Clark, it makes me wonder how much was BS and how much was real. People from a different time have a hard time relating to reality back in the day. Johnny told me he was part of a demolition team in WW2 and I always passed it off but thinking about the events with Walt Clark I wonder what a regular sailor would be doing on a beach head on Iwa Jima unless he Was MORE than a regular sailor. Anyway as I think of them I'll post them. Wonderful, wonderful set in his ways, full of BS at times, United States Navy retired Cockfighter.

39. Thanks Sig1911, Bloodsport thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

41. Likes KevinG, Sig1911, Camarines liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

43. Thanks KevinG thanked for this post
    Likes KevinG, Sig1911, Camarines, HCGF liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

45. Likes KevinG, Sig1911, Camarines liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like