Thread: winning percentage

winning percentage

I've read through the forums of winning percent, and a lot of the comments say about 50% win is actually good and 70% is really good. A few years ago I think my win percentage was really low like 20% then I had to leave for work at another station. Now I'm back reading forums, have decent birds and hoping for the best. A lot of post consider this sport as only a hobby not to make money. So what keeps you guys coming back? If a bird wins 1 time in the season then loses next time same season does that nullify the win?

Re: winning percentage

That's irrelevant........................

It's in your blood or it ain't. It's the love of it. Your fowl the competition, look man we all can't be pro NFL baseball basketball players or coaches. This is OUR GAME. YOUR IN OR YOUR OUT. aint no wishy washy bout it.

I'm in let's go!!!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

50 is not good. That's the very definition of average. Of course it all depends on where u fight. If u fight at the big pits with 60+ entries u r subject to have a lower win percentage than at the backyard pits with 15 entries. Either way I will never say 50 percent is good.

No one, No one that is a working man can Maintain over the long haul on 50% fowl. The old saying that brood fowl is worth it, (whether through friendship or purchasing) is completely and utterly true. Do not be deceived, if you have average fowl, and do anything other than just raise them for the heck of it you will QUIT with 50% fowl.
    50% wil;l cost you every time you show. Unless they, or you are better than that eventually you or your significant other will tire of ring money down the toiley after a while.

Quote Originally Posted by nguzm001 View Post
    I've read through the forums of winning percent, and a lot of the comments say about 50% win is actually good and 70% is really good. A few years ago I think my win percentage was really low like 20% then I had to leave for work at another station. Now I'm back reading forums, have decent birds and hoping for the best. A lot of post consider this sport as only a hobby not to make money. So what keeps you guys coming back? If a bird wins 1 time in the season then loses next time same season does that nullify the win?
    for an average chickenman 70% is about break even if you really come to think of it. you are afloat but you are not getting up there either. jmo

For every win there is a loss. Every one wants to win but it just can't happen. If I win 70% then more than likely 7 out of 10 guys I'm meeting is winning less than 50%. If you win 50% you can still be a winner on a given day. Just get your wins lined up the same day.

The folks with a low % that stay in are usually still winning some ... they might have a go-to cross or some good days and get in the money now and then ... but the rest of the time taking a beating . Just like fishing or hunting, it's not called catching for a reason but folks still go ... a bad day doing what you love is better than a great day at work , lol.

If there are 7 wins on the board - gotta be 7 losses to balance . So not as many folks are really sitting at 70% as they claim , there's not room for that many 70% ers to all be in the same room at the same time . Maybe 70% most of the time , and a few bad shows sprinkled in that don't count , lol

Are you not due a mulligan on half your losses? How do you guys figure it?

I cant remember if it was the last year it was open but it was right around in there.. COTY at Mid America was like 63%. I'd say if you were showing 50% at a place like that and as Lablue mentions line up some of those winning roosters and rattle off a derby or two a year I'd say you are doing pretty good. Folks who really aren't in the thick of it will tell you that you better be 70%+ to pay your way but that is just fluff and looks good on paper. Last year it was legal we win 6 or 7 derbies out of 18 or so trips and when we calculated win percentage it was 61%. 70%+ is the elite I can promise you that.

Do you guys take into consideration the hacks? Or is it all derbies cause it could get costly entering all those derbies. JLF 2.0 taking 6 or 7 derbies out of 18 entered is extremely good. I would be happy with 1 or 2 just have consistence scores like 3w 2L in a 5 cock or better yet 4w 1L in a 5 cock.

Raising gamefowls for the purpose of fighting them and expect good returns from your investment is like playing a russian roulette ..... been with gamefowls since 2002.... invested some good materials... managing farm by remote control being here in the mainland US is no easy task with 90% failure rate in many.... had some wins... had some losses.... champion in some.... bageled in some....never talk about winning percentage.... just played within my level and within my financial capability.....continued to learn what is and what is not... it is the satisfaction that my bird raised in my farm won its fight which kept me going.... weathering my lows and my wife's nagging.... and it is only now I feel rewarded with knowing that my birds can compete at one of the highest levels of competition in our place... in all the years I never think of winning percentage as I have always believed cocking is not magic nor a short cut to being the best has been found.... First and foremost, you've got to have the love for the birds then learn, be observant of your losses than your winnings and play within your financial limits.... you will go a long long way.... you will still be there when many who brag about their championships and winnings and hundred of thousands betting have been gone...IMHO....

You have to make a substantial center or your gonna be digging in your pocket book. Take into # of cocks shown. Someone who shows 15 roosters and wins 13 is gonna achieve a higher percent then one who may show 60 or more cocks a year. So everything must be taken into consideration. Theres lots of places that have option money to You may drop two in a 5 and still come out good because you won the 2,3,4. You may have not gotten a good center on # 1 that lost but did on the 2,3,4. You may only have a 65% win for the year, but still came out good on the $ end. Lots of ways to look at it.

I had years that 3 wins and a draw in 4 consecutive shows earned me zero $$. I have also had years that 3 wins and a draw gave me the pot alone. Consistently winning more than you loose beats the alternative.

You can make a small fortune with gamefowl but you got to start with a LARGE one

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

You know last year I only lost 4 but I also had 4 draws. I won 17 but mostly importantly I finished 10-0. Selection plays a huge role in putting together those W's. This season so far I am 3-0-1, I feel good about this season. We'll see how it turns out

bumping to get rid of the sh#t.......................................