Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First time buying Advice

Post Thanks / Like

First time buying Advice

I am about to buy a Stag and a Pullet, I have been looking at several farms from Richard Kelly ( https://www.coalminermugs.com ), Johnnie Jumper ( https://www.johnniejumperfarm.com/prices.php ) and AC Compound ( https://arcompound.com/gamefowl-farm ), and decided on AC. Would this be the best choice in your opinion? and if so what would be a good breed that they have to start out with? Mug, Grey, Kelso, Hatch? Thank you.

Whatever I get will be my starting point in breeding and showing.
    Last edited by Mach 1 Padilla; February 11th, 2019 at 07:26 AM.

2. Likes KevinG, Al Sanchez liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: First time buying Advice

I can't say that u are making the right choice as far as these farms simply because I haven't been keeping up with them and what they do but u have some big well known names for sure. If I was in the market for mugs I would definitely shop with LaBlue(Sabong Member) As far as advice their is so much advice to give its hard to know were to start as I'm sure many will come behind me in the following days and tell u different things and most of them will be right their are alot of men on here that know what their talkin about and are willing to help. The best advice I can give is don't chase big names. Many have done this; many have failed lol! The big names may have been cocker of the year 20 or 30 years ago but you are wanting what's doin good today. If you start talkin to man and he starts talkin about his birds doin good in the far past it's a gamble. He could be lyin all together or he could have had good blood back then; but the bloodlines yester-years acalades means nothin in today's competition. I wish u the best bud.
    Last edited by Webby13; February 11th, 2019 at 07:57 AM.

4. Likes Mach 1 Padilla, KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If those are the ones you are dead set on, Id get the Hatch, Grey and Kelso from Jumper if indeed you do end up getting one of the 3 lines. They shld blend well together having been at the same farm for many years. The Gilmore and Clements Grey from JJ are widespread, many places have them like A/C fyi. The Mugg from Del Mack and second from Stone County, from what is happening right now and not yester years. I realize that sometimes we only have access to huge sellers such as JJ and Coal Miner, so that's what Id do if that were the case. At the end of the day, its your $$ sir and you do what is best in your mind.
    Best wishes
    SF
    Last edited by KevinG; February 11th, 2019 at 08:08 AM.

6. Likes Mach 1 Padilla, Webby13 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KevinG View Post
    If those are the ones you are dead set on, Id get the Hatch, Grey and Kelso from Jumper if indeed you do end up getting one of the 3 lines. They shld blend well together having been at the same farm for many years. The Gilmore and Clements Grey from JJ are widespread, many places have them like A/C fyi. The Mugg from Del Mack and second from Stone County, from what is happening right now and not yester years. I realize that sometimes we only have access to huge sellers such as JJ and Coal Miner, so that's what Id do if that were the case. At the end of the day, its your $$ sir and you do what is best in your mind.
    Best wishes
    SF
    Im not dead set on them, just what I found that could be ordered easy, I know there are many others out there but have now way of getting to them, such as other members on here or facebook since I don't have any social media accounts.

8. Likes KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mach 1 Padilla View Post
    Im not dead set on them, just what I found that could be ordered easy, I know there are many others out there but have now way of getting to them, such as other members on here or facebook since I don't have any social media accounts.
    Reiterates my point, sometimes those are the only type of places we have access to. All good and best wishes. Since alot are on FB, consider making a page even if not for social reasons just business. Stone County and many are on there. Its hard because many did away with websites, FB is free for them.
    SF
    Last edited by KevinG; February 11th, 2019 at 08:27 AM.

10. Likes Mach 1 Padilla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KevinG View Post
    Reiterates my point, sometimes those are the only type of places we have access to. All good and best wishes. Since alot are on FB, consider making a page even if not for social reasons just business. Stone County and many are on there. Its hard because many did away with websites, FB is free for them.
    SF
    KevinG I hate everything about social medias. They are useless to me unless being used for keeping up with family or friends far far away. I have never had one but if I ever did it would be for just what u said the free advertising.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Webby13 View Post
    KevinG I hate everything about social medias. They are useless to me unless being used for keeping up with family or friends far far away. I have never had one but if I ever did it would be for just what u said the free advertising.
    I hear you and thats all good but many farms are on there. For family its good to me and not social IMO, keeping up with out of state blood but for friends its just that lol, socializing. Its what one makes of it, what they use it for. Afterall, Its in your control in terms of what appears on the page. Want to see some recent pics of farms and read comments/feedback on Blount, Gilliam, Stone Cty, Marks, Slavin, Gator, G Worldchampionship etc thats where one goes these days unfortunately. Yet to me though, thats business in potential prospects.
    SF
    Last edited by KevinG; February 11th, 2019 at 10:11 AM.

13. Likes Mach 1 Padilla, Webby13 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd be asking for something gentle , game and still competitive . You can get more for the money with a pure stag and cross pullets .. Jeremy Chandler gets $100 each for crossed pullets .. I would get a couple sister to a proven cross and whatever stag he recommends .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Quapaw Kid View Post
    I'd be asking for something gentle , game and still competitive . You can get more for the money with a pure stag and cross pullets .. Jeremy Chandler gets $100 each for crossed pullets .. I would get a couple sister to a proven cross and whatever stag he recommends .
    If anybody can get me in touch with somebody that might have better birds that the 3 farms I listed please get me in touch.

Post Thanks / Like

La blue is on here even has a thread I'm sure alot of these fellas got honest fowl, no harm in asking.

17. Likes Mach 1 Padilla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I am about to buy a Stag and a Pullet, I have been looking at several farms from Richard Kelly ( https://www.coalminermugs.com ), Johnnie Jumper ( https://www.johnniejumperfarm.com/prices.php ) and AC Compound ( https://arcompound.com/gamefowl-farm ), and decided on AC. Would this be the best choice in your opinion? and if so what would be a good breed that they have to start out with? Mug, Grey, Kelso, Hatch? Thank you.

Just one thing to remember that I've been taught. Those big time commercial breeders it's a hit or miss you may get a good one or you may not. Most of them have 1 cock with 10-20 hen's so it's just a shot in the dark good luck!

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

19. Likes jemm65, Mach 1 Padilla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Find an old man that lives close to you, follow him around, get a battle cross trio. A cock of one family and 3-4 hens of another, or even crossed hens.

Watch the man put his birds through a keep, and take care of those chickens like they're your children. Handle a few hacks for the old man, raise yourself some birds to two years old and fight them. Learn the ins and outs of the game before you go spend big money on a high dollar trio. You may never find better chickens than by doing it like that.

21. Likes cutcutcut, spanky81, White thai liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RedAngus View Post
    Find an old man that lives close to you, follow him around, get a battle cross trio. A cock of one family and 3-4 hens of another, or even crossed hens.

Watch the man put his birds through a keep, and take care of those chickens like they're your children. Handle a few hacks for the old man, raise yourself some birds to two years old and fight them. Learn the ins and outs of the game before you go spend big money on a high dollar trio. You may never find better chickens than by doing it like that.
    Kinda tried that already. Got a hatch the looked over all solid from a old man that had been doing it all his life... Lost him in sk in less than a minute. I am raising the son of the hatch and a sweater/grey cross cock but they are unproven so I want to get another line as back up. What ive decided is maybe a Bruce Barnett sweater from Richard Kelly over a johnnie jumper kelso hen from ac farms.

What really upsets me is a friend gifted me a grey 2 years ago, and as a bull stag (1.3yrs old)when sparring he would destroy every cock he went up against, but i lost him to a dog.
    this is the only picture I have of him @ 6mths

Last edited by Mach 1 Padilla; February 11th, 2019 at 01:47 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I've tried to find a good way to spin that. I'm also guessing you're pretty young and impatient. If that old man has been fighting his whole life why fight the hatch?

As a cockfighter, your job 99.999% of the time is to prevent fights, losses to other animals and such. I know bad things happen.

If you want name brand fowl try Mr. Del's Mugs over Mr. Jumper's Radio's, and run a Manziel hatch cock over those crossed pullets. Those chickens should be expensive enough you just raise from them and fight the cocks you raise. They ought to be more than game enough, have cut running out their ears, and more than enough power and bottom. They should put relentless pressure on another cock.

You want them to do even better in the pit? As you raise them at 12 months old, buy yourself a couple pair of gaffs and fight them into each other, 2" low point bayonets should do you. After one gaff fight the difference in them is night and day, they're a whole different chicken, their newfound level of hate will dwarf that on 95% of the cocks they fight into. You'll also find out which stags don't cut as well as their brothers and you can cull the lesser cutting fowl.

24. Thanks Mach 1 Padilla thanked for this post
    Likes cutcutcut, Mach 1 Padilla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Friend, I would like to help you check off a few things that you need before you start your journey if you don't mind. First, you have to look at the big picture and what you would like to have at the end of your journey. Then, backwards plan. 1. Do you have your breeding pens set up? If you go with crosses, you need to identify your hens by marking them and building a big enough pen where you can string each hen in a courner with a bucket for her and her only to lay her eggs in. This will say you alot of pain in the long run. Wing band all your hens and roosters. Know what rooster you breed to what hen and mark all biddies when they hatch. 2nd thing is after your hens start setting, have another small pen to put her in by herselft, like a 3x3x3 pen fenced in so nothing can bother her and you can leave her in there after her biddies hatch. They can run in and out of the pen. 3rd thing will be a cord area or a lot of 3x3x3 pens built to put your stags in when you deem necessary to pen them up. That is the big ticket items i see that will help you.

Selecting fowl. That is a good question that we all debate inside our minds from time to time. I myself have bought birds from big name places only to find out i could have bought them same chickens down the road from your own house 5 times as cheap. My remedy is to engage your friends and watch good bird men and see there fowl. If you like them start there. Some of my best fowl were gifted to me and I have gifted my people with birds the same way. Some of the names you mention have runners on their farms just to let you know. I know this first hand not hear say. The people around the sport will tell you who has the best birds around you just have to listen and watch. Thats what I would do friend before I would spend a bunch of money in a big named farm. I wish you the best and hope you get a good start, but it does not happen easily because a lot of people are not honest, sorry to say. So I hope you are lucky in your start. V/r T-bone

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to sabong.
    Well you have made one of the most common beginner mistakes possible. You fought brood fowl. Big no no. But most of us have done it. Where you get your fowl is a big decision you have to make on your own. If you do buy from a farm set up for raising to sell remember its the offspring of these fowl that you are after. Its a long road. If you want instant gratification pick another lifestyle. This game has zero instant rewards. Just to get an idea of some of the trials you will endure read Birdslayer's thread. He has been documenting his start in this game on here. Much information and helpful post on there. He has posted the mistakes he has made and what he is doing to correct them. You will see the amount of commitment needed. Time and money spent setting up a safe chicken yard. The fowl are the cheapest part of it. But cheap fowl will cost you more than all the rest. Good luck with your start

27. Likes Mach 1 Padilla, Webby13, White thai liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My opinion is, itís your money do what you like. Youíll learn from your mistakes.

I will say this if you want greys from the list of 3 you mention I will go with the Jumper Farm. The AR farm claims to have the Jumper Farm but it cost more I would just get them from jumper. But Iím also in my beginning stages the other guys in this site have more wisdom than I do.
    Last edited by 2020 Bronco; February 12th, 2019 at 02:39 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

By the way, when I mentioned cheap fowl I was referring to quality not price. Both good fowl and junk fetch the same price. From gift to thousands if someone will pay someone will sell.

30. Likes CA whitetoppy06 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I didn't read the other posts but I'd suggest finding a new hobby Lolololol...nothin but heart ache and pen fights in this one

Lucas

32. Likes cutcutcut liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

bumping to get rid of the sh#t.......................................

Post Thanks / Like

Get a cross yard of birds. A crossed cock and pure pullets. That is how I like it. Pure hens will throw more consistent stags, Hatch Kelso and Grey are he most consistent. Using the Kelso as the speed with either the Grey or the Hatch. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

I always breed the pure cock to the crossed hens to get my battlecrosses and that has always worked for me. To each his own ideas and how they preform in the eyes of the beholder...lol

36. Likes JLF2.0 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bonegetter View Post
    I always breed the pure cock to the crossed hens to get my battlecrosses and that has always worked for me. To each his own ideas and how they preform in the eyes of the beholder...lol
    I like to do the exact opposite lol I cull most all cross pullets (keep a few for flirting hens) and I'll take the exceptional proven half and half cocks and breed back to a pure female.

38. Likes lawgreyman14 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Coalminer has 9 different dreads advertised. No man can keep 9 breeds excellent. If I was looking for Mugs. I would contact LaBlue. His name is spoken highly off.

The Johnny Jumper page is advertising 8.

The AR page is advertising 5. Thee of the five are Johnny Jumper blood.

If I was you I would find someone else. A suggestion to you try Southernx Muffs or LaBlues Muggs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BostonMurphy View Post
    Coalminer has 9 different dreads advertised. No man can keep 9 breeds excellent. If I was looking for Mugs. I would contact LaBlue. His name is spoken highly off.

The Johnny Jumper page is advertising 8.

The AR page is advertising 5. Thee of the five are Johnny Jumper blood.

If I was you I would find someone else. A suggestion to you try Southernx Muffs or LaBlues Muggs

How many do you have ? Blueface , BrownRed , Whitehackle , Spanish .. what else ? couple strains of each ?

Post Thanks / Like

If you buy from a commercial breeder get young fowl. If you buy older fowl there is a good chance it is what is left over after everybody has picked through what was available.

Post Thanks / Like

Go to a derby and buy the best cock there that is for sell. Never ask what he is because they will probably lie and it really doesn't matter. After u buy that cock ask the man if there is anyway u can get a hen.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brettjern View Post
    Go to a derby and buy the best cock there that is for sell. Never ask what he is because they will probably lie and it really doesn't matter. After u buy that cock ask the man if there is anyway u can get a hen.
    Most brood fowl are not derby winners it's the offspring of them that counts all ace cocks do not make good brood fowl

Post Thanks / Like

What you get depends on what your long term goals are. Call each farm and ask them what their best bloodline is for what you want to show, and what they cross best with for what you want to accomplish. You might just find out that they have other bloodlines that are better suited for what you have in mind.

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Birdderfly View Post
    Most brood fowl are not derby winners it's the offspring of them that counts all ace cocks do not make good brood fowl
    Of course they don't and I wasn't saying that but breeding is a gamble as is. I rather have one in the brood pen that I know is a killer. U breed the best to the best and hope for the best.