Thread: A question regarding the raising of cocks

A question regarding the raising of cocks

I've got a few cocks in the Philippines. We don't intend to fight any until they're 2 years old or thereabouts. My question is when should we start on the conditioning/exercising of the birds, and also what are the pros and cons on whether we should start earlier or later.
    I have 6 about 15 months old and another 6 about 4 months old.
    Sorry if this seems like a very basic question but I'm only just learning about this sport.
    I'm from Australia and cockfighting is illegal here but all of my birds are in Cebu, Philippines.
    Thanks.

Re: A question regarding the raising of cocks

Game cocks to be their very best need 365 day conditioning. That means good feed,clean water, and a large pen or tie cord to get plenty of exercise. Also move him to a new location at least once prEr week. Just please don't think you'll take him from a small dirty pen and condition him for 2-3 weeks and be competitive. My opinion after 54 years with fowl.

Thanks, yes,they're all on cords and have good food and clean water. What I was thinking of is when should I be putting them in fly pens, scratch pens, running pens etc.
    Thanks for the tip about moving them around the yard weekly. I imagine that's to stop them going stale mentally.

Quote Originally Posted by shaunc View Post
    Thanks, yes,they're all on cords and have good food and clean water. What I was thinking of is when should I be putting them in fly pens, scratch pens, running pens etc.
    Thanks for the tip about moving them around the yard weekly. I imagine that's to stop them going stale mentally.
    Since you said phillipino then I imagine you will show them in long knife remember to much work will make them tight and they want reach out enough to cut with the lk dont scratch to hard or they want cut

Yes, they'll be fighting long knife in the Philippines.

As LaBlue said it is 365 care yearly and observation how they take to their new environment when moved around....not merely throwing down feeds on them but see if they eat and consume all that is given and they are rotated at least weekly not merely because they need to be rotated but also to feel their bodies if the feeds go into their bodies or not ....good bodied birds are easier to prep for derbies.......

In my personal opinion Health is Priority, just get them as healthy as possible. Handle them as much as possible, expose them to everything they will go through during a keep and make sure you spar them. But what I always focus on is overall Health....... Oh yeah good fresh clean Grass, that's a must for me

bumping to get rid of the sh#t.......................................
    Msofty is back

Bump this up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Three week keep or working prior to fight day. Day one 10 flys ten runs add 5 a day for seven days. Then on the eighth day you go back down 5 a day. So by day seven you are doing 45 runs and 45 flys. Then by day 14 you are back to 10 runs and ten flys. The last week no work.

Now this is where you need to know your chickens. Some breeds can take this much work. Some can not

Thanks, I thought that there may be some benefit to exercising the birds earlier than 3 weeks before a fight.
    We don't intend to fight any of the cocks until they are at least 2 years old. Would it be of any use to follow the above program and maybe finish it with a 3 or 4 buckle spar from when say the cocks are 12 months old or so.
    The breed we have were all bred from 2 Kelso hens and a sweater cock. I've been led to believe that this is a fairly common battle cross for long knife fighting in the Philippines.
    Last edited by shaunc; February 13th, 2019 at 05:41 PM.

Thanks, I thought that there may be some benefit to exercising the birds earlier than 3 weeks before a fight.
    We don't intend to fight any of the cocks until they are at least 2 years old. Would it be of any use to follow the above program and maybe finish it with a 3 or 4 buckle spar from when say the cocks are 12 months old or so.
    The breed we have were all bred from 2 Kelso hens and a sweater cock. I've been led to believe that this is a fairly common battle cross for long knife fighting in the Philippines.
    I use 8 foot round pens with heavy straw in them and a 16 inch divider through the whole thing. They are pretty much ready when I pull them out

Looks like you decided to do a "Natural Conditioning" on them birds. All those pens you mention are tools for such conditioning method. You can add as well tie cord rotations. My advise then would be to start them on this conditioning pens when they are about 22 months old( 24 months = 2 years). It is important to keep them healthy throughout their life but most specially during these last two months towards showtime.

Quote Originally Posted by LaBlue View Post
    Game cocks to be their very best need 365 day conditioning. That means good feed,clean water, and a large pen or tie cord to get plenty of exercise. Also move him to a new location at least once prEr week. Just please don't think you'll take him from a small dirty pen and condition him for 2-3 weeks and be competitive. My opinion after 54 years with fowl.
    Could not have said it any better, good common sense and hard work, keep them busy and mentally alert. Worse thing for a Gamecock is depression.