Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Claret question

Post Thanks / Like

Claret question

I've had this claret family for awhile and out of the eggs I hatched out I got three that have green legs and the rest yellow legs. Brood cock and hens both have yellow legs.I guess my question is yes anyone ever gotten green legs out of clearts before

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Claret question

The only Clarets I have ever seen are white legged

Post Thanks / Like

The original clarets were white and yellow legged. As for the green leg showing up you have a cross on both sides.

Post Thanks / Like

Someone may have bred in a cock that was half Claret and half Hatch. He would have been white or yellow legged, which are dominant over green. He passed his green leg gene to pullets and stags.

Not a real big deal if you like them. By only breeding yellow to yellow you can get rid of it over time. Just record that a cock carries the green leg gene if any of his daughters come green legged.

Post Thanks / Like

How long did you clean the hen or they were together since the most?

Post Thanks / Like

All the clarets I raise are white legged

Post Thanks / Like

My dads clarets were almost all yellow legged. They were the wheat fiueld line.

Post Thanks / Like

I cleaned the hens out for two weeks, ate all there eegs during that time. They are madigins. If I rember correct I read something about the cock that madgain used to make up his line of cleart was a green legged grey, and that is where his white clarets came from, butt we all know how the internet is.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by White claret View Post
    I cleaned the hens out for two weeks, ate all there eegs during that time. They are madigins. If I rember correct I read something about the cock that madgain used to make up his line of cleart was a green legged grey, and that is where his white clarets came from, butt we all know how the internet is.
    That is your problem eight there. Two weeks is not enough time to clean a hen. To make sure a hen is clean you need to let her set for at least a week so when her temperature rise it kills the remaining fertile sperm she had stored. Is anyone has butchered a hen will notice a small sack of what it look like a bunch of small undeveloped eggs. When the cock top the hen his sperm will fertilize all of them at once. This happens before the egg grow and form a shell. When hens are not cleaned good other stuffs start to come out and most will start to say is a throw back of some kind that was added along the way at some point.

Post Thanks / Like

I've had this claret family for awhile and out of the eggs I hatched out I got three that have green legs and the rest yellow legs. Brood cock and hens both have yellow legs.I guess my question is yes anyone ever gotten green legs out of clearts before
    If your broodcock is somewhat related to the hens, then the green legged offsprings are throwbacks of a green legged blood that was infused to their ancestors sometime ago. Now, you can make your own green legged Clarets if those three offsprings are looking good.

Post Thanks / Like

You inbreed anything long enough. Youll find out what other bloods were used to make them. Everything is a cross to some degree.

Post Thanks / Like

Do u have any green legged fowl on your yard ?? If u do I belive this May b your problem! 2 weeks is not near enough time to clean a hen out ! If u don’t have any green legged fowl on your yard them I’d say someone put some green legged blood in them years ago ! Which that’s not a problem if they are good fowl and u like them ! If u don’t want the green legs popping up just breed the yellow legged ones and eventually they will all come yellow legged ! But for future reference I would go at least 2 to 3 months to let a hen clean out befre you breed them ! I catch my hens off the range in October and put them in my big hens pen and don’t start breeding them till beginning of February!! And I also take the first 5 or 6 eggs befre I start collecting! This is just what I do so I feel comfortable with them being clean ! And

Post Thanks / Like

If the green legs are stags , it's the hen no matter is she was bred to a Hatch cock even . Two weeks is long enough if a new cock was in there .. If you had them seperate and saved eggs from day one then those chicks aren't his until they lay five eggs after he topped them .

Throwbacks are fine ... But if they yhrowback on the first batch .. I'm calling the trio crosses

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Quapaw Kid View Post
    If the green legs are stags , it's the hen no matter is she was bred to a Hatch cock even . Two weeks is long enough if a new cock was in there .. If you had them seperate and saved eggs from day one then those chicks aren't his until they lay five eggs after he topped them .

Throwbacks are fine ... But if they yhrowback on the first batch .. I'm calling the trio crosses
    . Everyone has there own opinion about how long it takes a hen to clean out from a cock. And IMO 2 weeks is not enough for me to feel comfortable about it even if there’s a new cock with her ! I just wouldn’t trust it . A lot of old timers said 3 week minimum! Me I go months just to make sure so I’m not questioning myself and having doubts in the back my mind of why my stags or pullets are coming out a certain color or comb type or leg color. I like the piece of mind !!
    Last edited by Steel city farm; April 15th, 2019 at 03:34 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing wrong with being safe , but new spwrm kills all the old sperm that isn't in an egg already .. Aside from that , you could breed a yl or wl hen to a new gl cock every day and not get gl stags

Post Thanks / Like

It's pretty easy to tell how long it takes to clean a hen out...breed a red/grey or vice versa mark date on eggs when laid, and write down what day they was switched out... I'm not siding with anyone, but if people would try things themselves they would know

Lucas

Post Thanks / Like

There is another easy way to tell if a hen is laying unfertile eggs. Just when you catch the hen get you a surrogate hen or a small styrofoam incubator. Set the egg and check in a few days or a week if they started develop veins they are fertile, but if they come clear she is clean. Make sure to mark the eggs and day collected to know from which day she started to lay clear eggs. Then you are safe to pair her up with your broodcock of choice.

Post Thanks / Like

bingo 2 weeks to clean a hen out will not due on my place maybe others however not mine and could be the reason for off color legs any how clarets dont come green legged and i would consider the ones hatched with it as not pure either this is how families get ruined....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CIGAR View Post
    bingo 2 weeks to clean a hen out will not due on my place maybe others however not mine and could be the reason for off color legs any how clarets dont come green legged and i would consider the ones hatched with it as not pure either this is how families get ruined....
    Where's that like button when you need it. "Liked" "thanked" this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Birdslayer86 View Post
    Where's that like button when you need it. "Liked" "thanked" this post
    IT will have it fixed they work in progress all i can say and yes ur correct i miss the ole LIKE button too

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CIGAR View Post
    . Like and thank this post. I think a lot of families get ruined this way ! And what they think is a throw back is not really one ! It comes from them waiting two weeks and believing there hens are clean cause they read it on some website! No reason one canít clean out there hens for months ahead of time just to make sure ! Way to much work goes into maintaining a family of fowl to piss it away cause he or she try to rush things or are to lazy to catch and pen there brood hens couple months ahead of time.
    Last edited by Steel city farm; April 15th, 2019 at 06:21 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steel city farm View Post
    . Like and thank this post. I think a lot of families get ruined this way ! And what they think is a throw back is not really one ! It comes from them waiting two weeks and believing there hens are clean cause they read it on some website! No reason one can’t clean out there hens for months ahead of time just to make sure ! Way to much work goes into maintaining a family of fowl to piss it away cause he or she try to rush things or are to lazy to catch and pen there brood hens couple months ahead of time.
    Totally agree. I like Cigar's method way better than anything else to make sure a broodhen is clean. I do the same as him but when I have one that has been free range and want to use her I just pen her and while I give her vitamins and worm her and all that good stuff to get her ready and she is laying eggs I do the method described above with the incubator or a surrogate hen and if the next 3 or 4 eggs are coming clear I then breed her to a a broodcock of choice.
    Last edited by PeterJBen; April 15th, 2019 at 06:41 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

If you had the new cock with them, it only takes three days. The strong, new sperm takes over. Left alone, she can squeeze out fertile eggs from the first cock a long time.

Post Thanks / Like

Exactly. It's an easy test and you can learn for yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by lucasemerson View Post
    It's pretty easy to tell how long it takes to clean a hen out...breed a red/grey or vice versa mark date on eggs when laid, and write down what day they was switched out... I'm not siding with anyone, but if people would try things themselves they would know

Lucas

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steel city farm View Post
    . Like and thank this post. I think a lot of families get ruined this way ! And what they think is a throw back is not really one ! It comes from them waiting two weeks and believing there hens are clean cause they read it on some website! No reason one can’t clean out there hens for months ahead of time just to make sure ! Way to much work goes into maintaining a family of fowl to piss it away cause he or she try to rush things or are to lazy to catch and pen there brood hens couple months ahead of time.
    i have barrel colony and huge pen where i keep hens for months at a time for their turn in brood pen this ensures me that they are clean and then when i single mate i know what i have i dont swap hens out the hen is bread and through the process.... no chance for error and mess something my family has spent years building.....

Post Thanks / Like

i dont agree with red/grey thing one can breed all the way down to a little grey and still come grey and some will still come red..... like mixing eggs in an INC it's ok to mix a family of str8 comb with a family of pea heads if they are both white leg however not if there were some crosses in there that were a mix..... the studies of how long an hen stays fertile has been done i'm thinking by 2 colleges i read one and stated up to 6 weeks after cock removed now this was a college.... on my part i did it and proved to myself so i know its 6 weeks or more and i dont take chances i'm not going to ruin something so i do what i stated months of cleaning out a hen if she gets loose before breading season then she dont get bread..... period....

Post Thanks / Like

Years ago I had a red quill cock in a pen with a pure hatch hen during the off season. I put her in a pen with a pure hatch cock about 6 weeks before she started laying. Believe it or not I had 2 quill chicks is that clutch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pasqually View Post
    Years ago I had a red quill cock in a pen with a pure hatch hen during the off season. I put her in a pen with a pure hatch cock about 6 weeks before she started laying. Believe it or not I had 2 quill chicks is that clutch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    i believe you from experience..........................

Post Thanks / Like

The only way to b for sure is time !!!!! I’m not takes chance !!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Like button to all CIGAR's posts..........All the other theories, say so's, guesses are just that. New sperm killing old sperm. LOL that just don't happen.
    Eggs are fertilized one by one as they travel through the reproduction system.
    Some people need to read up on things before they give useless advise too.
    Don't risk mucking up your prized breeding program by half ass"d methods then wonder what happened...
    Last edited by Crazy Eyes; April 15th, 2019 at 08:01 AM.