Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: What if....

  
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    38
    Post Thanks / Like

    What if....

    Just a thought for the old timers who’s been breeding for a long time. We all have bred our best roosters to our best hens. Single rooster to multiple hens, single great hen to a couple rooster with x amount of time between breedings to “clean out” hens before the next breeding. Here’s the thought. You have your favorite hen than have 3 sons or grandsons that you’d like to breed back to. Uniform in fighting style, slight variations in plumage, ideal temperament and conformation. What would the downside be of breeding her to multiple roosters with what I just listed. Say you set up three drop pens and drop her in one after the other within minutes and she’s done for the day. What is the downside. Strictly a thought that I’d like to get input from the old timers.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Steel city farm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    On the Farm
    Posts
    970
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What if....

    First of all what are you trying to accomplish by doing this ? I’m no OLD TIMER but far from a rookie either ! Don’t really understand what you would accomplish by doing this except have a mixed up bunch of offspring that u will never b able to duplicate if they turned out to b good . I know all the cocks you are using to breed would all b brothers but Don’t really make sense to me. U will never know which cock is the better producer or who is the daddy to the better stags should I say ! Do u have a goal in mind by doing this ??
    Last edited by Steel city farm; April 16th, 2019 at 05:32 AM.

  3. #3
    Senior Member jemm65's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    PI
    Posts
    1,119
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What if....

    big possibility is you get offspring of first rooster. i say “the early worm makes the bird” !!! STEEL said it all. fis

  4. #4
    Senior Member Quapaw Kid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    3,865
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What if....

    Sounds kinda hillbilly ... But might explain why many times yardbreds don't resemble anything on the cords or breaks rules for color .. Two daddy's

    You can have three sires in a dog litter and DNA tells each daddy

  5. #5
    Senior Member Skincarver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    2,034
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What if....

    Lots of people have their own ideas and beliefs on what they've read or been told. The truth is Im not sure if anyone truly knows for sure and even if they do , that's its 100% accurate in every single case. Here is an interesting ready that goes against lots of things I was taught but recently discovered. I don't take it for 100% fact just because I read it and its posted on the internet as fact but merely a possibility . It claims birds and I assume game chickens are no different can hold onto sperm in storage from different males at the same time. Regardless if anyone agrees or disagrees its an interesting read and no matter what we think we know as a fact is constantly changing. Im not sure if its a case of improper or poor studies being made and then better ones done later or if evolution is being caught in the act from one study to the next.
    https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0613102430.htm

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    711
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What if....

    Quote Originally Posted by Steel city farm View Post
    First of all what are you trying to accomplish by doing this ? I’m no OLD TIMER but far from a rookie either ! Don’t really understand what you would accomplish by doing this except have a mixed up bunch of offspring that u will never b able to duplicate if they turned out to b good . I know all the cocks you are using to breed would all b brothers but Don’t really make sense to me. U will never know which cock is the better producer or who is the daddy to the better stags should I say ! Do u have a goal in mind by doing this ??
    My thoughts exactly. This has me scratching my head wondering why the hell anyone would even think about trying this. Single mating is the only way anyone can tell what the best producer on the yard is.

    The only conceivable reason I can think of for aomeone to wonder this is to try and breed the hen to multiple roosters in a single season. IF THIS IS THE CASE, put her with one rooster, pick up the eggs for a week or so. When you put her with the second rooster, pick up the eggs for a week or so and throw them away, or if you really want to keep them, mark them as yard runs. Then pick up the eggs for the second cock and repeat that process.

    Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    6,724
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What if....

    I've seen this breeding program implemented. Very good fowl came from the hen. I wouldn't recommend it.

  8. #8
    Member Bama71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    NE AL
    Posts
    442
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What if....

    That kinda of scares me cause I have a little stag running loose in hallway of cockhouse. Well I have a brood pen with two sisters in it. As soon as I opened door she shot beside my leg and that little ole stag topped her before she got two feet. He ain’t but like 5 months old. But I thought dang it. Which I have made the cross before and it’s a good one but still. So if a hen can hold different roosters sperm. It might get interesting.
    Last edited by Bama71; April 16th, 2019 at 10:36 PM.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    38
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What if....

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunDevil View Post
    My thoughts exactly. This has me scratching my head wondering why the hell anyone would even think about trying this. Single mating is the only way anyone can tell what the best producer on the yard is.

    The only conceivable reason I can think of for aomeone to wonder this is to try and breed the hen to multiple roosters in a single season. IF THIS IS THE CASE, put her with one rooster, pick up the eggs for a week or so. When you put her with the second rooster, pick up the eggs for a week or so and throw them away, or if you really want to keep them, mark them as yard runs. Then pick up the eggs for the second cock and repeat that process.

    Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk
    The thought crossed my mind as I single mated and due to these rooster being on the tougher side with the hens. This line I line breed drop maybe 7-8 eggs before setting and the original hen that I’d like to breed back to is slowing down on her egg production. I’d like to ensure her eggs are fertilized hence the thought of breeding back to her with the best offspring that are similar and almost identical in size, conformation, and fighting style. I feel she’s done after this season and don’t want to take chances on a Single rooster dudding out and waste the hens last eggs.

    The way i breed is by dropping a hen and rooster in a pen every two hours or so while at my farm. That way knownfor sure my hens are bred and knownthe frequency. I’ve also had a few infertile roosters that I had high hopes for but again, with my time running out (I feel) with this hen, I want to make sure I get one last batch of offspring

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,766
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What if....

    Quote Originally Posted by Jumpah808 View Post
    The thought crossed my mind as I single mated and due to these rooster being on the tougher side with the hens. This line I line breed drop maybe 7-8 eggs before setting and the original hen that I’d like to breed back to is slowing down on her egg production. I’d like to ensure her eggs are fertilized hence the thought of breeding back to her with the best offspring that are similar and almost identical in size, conformation, and fighting style. I feel she’s done after this season and don’t want to take chances on a Single rooster dudding out and waste the hens last eggs.

    The way i breed is by dropping a hen and rooster in a pen every two hours or so while at my farm. That way knownfor sure my hens are bred and knownthe frequency. I’ve also had a few infertile roosters that I had high hopes for but again, with my time running out (I feel) with this hen, I want to make sure I get one last batch of offspring
    You make it sound like your favorite hen is getting up there in age. If you think that she is still good for a last clutch or set of eggs, try putting her in your biggest breeding pen by herself and care for her to optimal health. But before doing that, you have to have picked or decided on the rooster you want to mate her for her last clutch. This rooster(whatever he is, son, grandson, etc....), should be fed and conditioned to optimum health as well. When you think that your hen is ready to engage or mate, by all means, put your broodcock with her then. At your convenience, the broodcock or broodstag can be with the hen everyday or every other day. The broodcock/Stag could then be removed from the pen if the hen decide to sit on her eggs for some chicks. Good luck.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Skincarver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    2,034
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What if....

    Quote Originally Posted by Bama71 View Post
    That kinda of scares me cause I have a little stag running loose in hallway of cockhouse. Well I have a brood pen with two sisters in it. As soon as I opened door she shot beside my leg and that little ole stag topped her before she got two feet. He ain’t but like 5 months old. But I thought dang it. Which I have made the cross before and it’s a good one but still. So if a hen can hold different roosters sperm. It might get interesting.
    What scares me is I had an old Sid rooster here a couple years back and one of my stags got out and he had it topped before he got two feet LMAO. I tried to grab him but it was too late lol . I don't think that stag ever growed up to amount to much . I guess he was traumatized .
    According to some studies she could have rejected it but if I didn't want to chance it I would just keep her by herself for a few weeks and check the eggs and see if they were fertile. Once they aren't you should be able to safely breed her to whatever you had intended on.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •