Thread: Egg thief ideas

Egg thief ideas

I try to move my pens every week to ten days, you know just long enough for them to thoroughly destroy the grass. This week I've had eggs come up missing in three pens. A friend asked me if the hens could be eating eggs. I don't think so, because some times there will be two or three or four eggs in the pen at once. That's 2-5 days of not eating eggs in any particular pen. So I don't think it's any of the three hens, or the cock who is being rotated.

I was thinking snake, or possibly field rats, maybe a pack rat. I have a pair of hounds that keeps everything back, namely coyotes, and they pretty well keep everything else back. It's a delicate eco system lol. I know it's not a skunk, I looked in these three pens tonight, I threw out the old X egg, nothing has touched that rotten sob in one pen. The other two pens didn't have one.

Tonight I moved the grey cock down with a roundhead hen that laid her first egg of her second batch. She hatched 16 of 19 earlier in the year.

Should I put rat poison out there? I've been leery of that stuff as I've seen hens kill and eat mice. I'm making some snake traps tonight to lay along side the pens. I'm not sure what else to do, I don't have a good room to put an incubator in, so I hate to grab the eggs. I'm considering a 5 gallon coke bottle rat trap. My "chick pen" is maybe 15 feet from the hens. I haven't lost a one. The whole situation has me scratching my head.

I keep coming back to rat or snake. Some of you boys that are in the South East or mid-West might give me another idea. I think I'll make the rolling coke bottle trap, and a couple snake traps, whatever it is, is kicking my tail.

Re: Egg thief ideas

Skunk, possum or coon. Iím thinking skunk, with the other 2 u may be losing hens as well

Ive had that issue now and for years Red, I hear you. Its always a snake here, sometimes I get em and sometimes I dont ya know. The nest is wiped out clean, as if I took them out myself with no residual left behind. I had 17 swiped in over 2 days, 2 nests that were about a week out of 8 and 7 eggs. That really kicked me in the A as I needed those pens. Barring catching them red handed, dip some socks in ammonia and hang them around the area, maybe that will work. Some of the pundits will say it won't work but its been known to work with some types. Worth a shot and best wishes.
    SF
    Last edited by KevinG; May 17th, 2019 at 04:07 PM.

You and I talked quite a bit about snakes last year Red so you know what hell they put me through. I had a pair living under one of my broodpen floors and they would take turns coming out one on one day one the next and taking 4 or 5 eggs at a time. Once they were gone they started in on what chicks I was able to hatch until they wiped me except for a few that the coons finished off. With the land that's here you would think I would be able to raise hundreds a year. Last year raised ) and looking about the same this year. I wish I could get my Albany hen to laying while she might still be fertile after losing the Albany cock a day or so ago. Anyway back to the snakes . The only way I was able to catch one was in a live trap and lost a chick in the process. The snake got in ate the chick then was too big to get back through the wire. You might find some of those large glue traps and set around the pens but you need some stakes to hold them to the ground . That or some of the sake traps I found and posted on here from youtube last year. Good luck on whatever it is . It took me a while to catch them . You might get lucky and go out side after dark with a light and a gun and catch them in the act if it is snakes. I got one or two that way.

I put golf balls in all my nest.Snake eats ball and can't digest it,eventually it dies

Quote Originally Posted by foxhound View Post
    I put golf balls in all my nest.Snake eats ball and can't digest it,eventually it dies
    Did you actually see them dead with the golf ball still inside them? Snakes can and do regurgitate things when they need to. I never had any luck with fake eggs they wouldn't even eat then.But Ive heard people say they cant get golf balls back up . I cant see why .That's the reason I was curious if you actually saw them dead ? If so maybe theyd be worth a try.

I had a similar issue last year with several different pens. The hens were setting on a clutch of eggs one day and the next day they were all gone. One time it was a juvenile opossum that injured the hen. The next two pens were dug under by a skunk caught red handed. The skunk didn’t have any desire for chicken nor was frightened by them. The skunk just nudged his nose under the hen as she flew off her nest and the skunk eat his fill of eggs.
    AKA Chicken Snake (Formally KING SNAKE) will eat several before he exists. The King Snake has a sensory system that can track a mouse just like a beagle nose trails a rabbit. Therefore you can capture a king snake with a Round Wire Funneled a both ends minnow trap. Place mouse in minnow trap and snake will enter to eat the mouse but can’t navigate to get back out.

Take and buy several of the smallest hooks you can find and get some good strong fishing line. Take and kinda 1/4 boil an egg. Get the water to boiling and then put the eggs in for about 5 minutes. Just enough for the outside and 1st inside layer to harden. Take the smallest drill bit u can find at 1st then work your way up until u can get a hook in. Then take and tie line to hook then put the hook in the egg. You can usually use a 32nd to a 1/16 bit to get it to work. Then tie the other end to something solid that isn't going to move. I would recommend salt water line if possible if not the best spider wire you can get. And you should be able to tell what it is. Some animals are going to be able to break the line. But a snake will be there. An old timer taught me this 3 year ago I killed 5 doing this. With the help of dr smith and miss Wesson. But I've also both skunk and coins just eat eggs to.
    Last edited by Bama71; May 17th, 2019 at 07:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bama71 View Post
    Take and buy several of the smallest hooks you can find and get some good strong fishing line. Take and kinda 1/4 boil an egg. Get the water to boiling and then put the eggs in for about 5 minutes. Just enough for the outside and 1st inside layer to harden. Take the smallest drill bit u can find at 1st then work your way up until u can get a hook in. Then take and tie line to hook then put the hook in the egg. You can usually use a 32nd to a 1/16 bit to get it to work. Then tie the other end to something solid that isn't going to move. I would recommend salt water line if possible if not the best spider wire you can get. And you should be able to tell what it is. Some animals are going to be able to break the line. But a snake will be there. An old timer taught me this 3 year ago I killed 5 doing this. With the help of dr smith and miss Wesson. But I've also both skunk and coins just eat eggs to.
    Thank you Bama. Good to know
    SF

Quote Originally Posted by Skincarver View Post
    Did you actually see them dead with the golf ball still inside them? Snakes can and do regurgitate things when they need to. I never had any luck with fake eggs they wouldn't even eat then.But Ive heard people say they cant get golf balls back up . I cant see why .That's the reason I was curious if you actually saw them dead ? If so maybe theyd be worth a try.
    I found one dead last year with two ceramic eggs in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Bama71 View Post
    This really works Iíve caught several like this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just start going out with a light and hunt them. They should show up after dark most of the time and usually before midnight. I killed 2 six footers this week in nest eating eggs. These 2 showed up in the evening before dark. Also killed one a couple weeks back around 10 00pm eating chicks that were close to quail size. It was a 5 1/2 footer. I thinks that make 5 or 6 sense April.

I wish that were the case here but they come out at all times of the day. Some hit shortly afternoon and some in late evenings while some at night. Last one I caught in the pen was at about 5pm during the day, 6 footer.
    SF

SNAKE.. Get some used motor oil and diesel, mix it 1/3 oil 2/3 diesel. spray around your pens. This will help keeping the snakes out.
    Last edited by southernX; May 17th, 2019 at 09:22 PM.

Back when you could get black leaf 40, I'd wipe out the snakes. I'd take a syringe with a sharp needle and in the air sac of an egg inject a 1/4 cc in the egg. Put in inconspicuous nest 2-3 and check them every day. Snake would be laying just feet away. Just as soon as the egg broke. Oh yea I'd put a little wax over the needle hole.

Just shot a big pack rat coming out of a nest box.

Quote Originally Posted by RedAngus View Post
    Just shot a big pack rat coming out of a nest box.
    . Lol was he packing? I hope you got him the first shot. He might have got a lucky one in on you. Lol. Really those things get nearly as big as a cat.

He was, the egg busted when I got him, I ran like hell to keep the hen from getting a bite. I say ran it was kind of a fat boy waddle jog. i found another problem today, but that's just going to take time and diligence.

Take a small drill bit roll it in your fingers to drill small hole in a egg take a long shank bream hook the small ones tie line to hook put it in the egg and tie it to a nail put it in nest box you'll catch it

I have some rats that live under my old dogs pens at my moms and I swear them SOB's are a Volkswagen with a tail!! I swore to myself once I moved my dogs out I was taking one from ole Gerry clower and we were going to have us an old fashioned rat killing

Quote Originally Posted by Birdslayer86 View Post
    I have some rats that live under my old dogs pens at my moms and I swear them SOB's are a Volkswagen with a tail!! I swore to myself once I moved my dogs out I was taking one from ole Gerry clower and we were going to have us an old fashioned rat killing
    LMAO old Jerry was a good one.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iinxXoot724