Thread: Advice

Advice

Advice for beginners anything that helps will be appreciated. I'm in Texas and the weather is up and down with rain and I have stage and pullets free ranging so what should I expect with the weather. And I didn't know there was a session for pox found out the hard way. So anything and everything will help yall have a good day

Re: Advice

Whats the Best thing for mosquitoes and flies

There is a thread recently made by Cigar on Pox. Youll find some remedies on there for you.
    Best wishes
    SF

Make sure you get your pens built and have them secure cause them free ranging stags could start fighting before you know it some start fighting early so just be prepared

Feed Early.
    Top off with fresh water everyday.
    Stop feeding whole corn.
    Keep water bowels and jugs in shade.
    Set up you cages for maximum amount of shade during the day.
    Keep dirt in cages broken up and loose.
    Try to keep handling chickens during the heat/molt to a minimum.
    Go ahead and worm all your chickens and give em a spray of Adams under each wing to keep the fleas away. I won’t be worming em again until the first of October.

Shade and fresh water is the most important thing.

Many good comments above.

A good perimeter fence to help keep varmints out.
    A good guard dog or two.
    Set your pens up to make feeding and watering easy and a pleasure, not difficult or a tough daily chore.
    Good strong pens with adequate space and shade.
    Only the best get a pen, costs too much to feed culls. The quicker you can identify a cull, the better.
    Fresh water and good feed, a little more protein during the moult.
    Worm and spray them on a regular schedule, I do it every 3 or 4 months. As an example, before and after moult.
    Mark, band and record your fowl, helps with identification, parentage and the tracking of producers and non-producers. I use colored zip wing bands, a different color every year, so I know their age by band color, and not leg bands, because I had to cut them off for testing or showing. Keep it simple and easy.
    Single mate, 1 cock and 1 hen.
    Establish and maintain a culling standard, for example, sick fowl.
    Find a good mentor.
    Find good fowl, too many peddlers out there with average or below average fowl. Look at who is consistently winning today. Many breeders don't show and have not shown for years. The [ ] doesn't lie, it always tells the truth.
    Have FUN and enjoy your fowl.

The thread that cigar has made was very help and have done everything he said to do. Thanks for everyones opinion as of right now my stages r starting to play around but they stop after a view seconds and as far the water it gets cleaned every day my kids r out for summer and take intrest in chickens and the feed as far as that I feed socked oats and rooster pellets in the morning and rooster pellets by them self in the afternoon the rooster pellets that I use r from producer and ther 16% protein and the spray Adam's where can I find that. and I noticed everyone say shade I have done my best on the ones in the pens but as far as the ones I have on tie cords is a different story and there r only 4 r tie cords

You can find the spray at any farm type store or pet store.
    For the ones on cords build teepees, use shade cloth or anything that will have a shadow. The sun/heat will destroy them without access to shade.

Put sand in the bottom of all your pens, make sure adult fowl have shade, and your chicks plenty of sun. Mix a little grain in with your chick start when they're about a week old, not much just enough to build up their gizzard. Sun and a strong gizzard are the best preventative measures against cocci. Give your birds Apple cider vinegar about once a week, about a tablespoon to a gallon. Always look for ways to keep their gut healthy, that is their main line of defense against sickness. Cull instead of medicating, as young fowl. I have a friend that told me if he did that he wouldn't raise a feather. Well he started doing it finally, he isn't as gung go as I am but he has almost completely eliminated medication from his program. He's raised about 200 chicks this year so far. Always breed for health.

[QUOTE=RedAngus;4918423]Put sand in the bottom of all your pens, make sure adult fowl have shade, and your chicks plenty of sun. Mix a little grain in with your chick start when they're about a week old, not much just enough to build up their gizzard. Sun and a strong gizzard are the best preventative measures against cocci. Give your birds Apple cider vinegar about once a week, about a tablespoon to a gallon. Always look for ways to keep their gut healthy, that is their main line of defense against sickness. Cull instead of medicating, as young fowl. I have a friend that told me if he did that he wouldn't raise a feather. Well he started doing it finally, he isn't as gung go as I am but he has almost completely eliminated medication from his program. He's raised about 200 chicks this year so far. Always breed for health.[/QU. Great advice