Thread: pox

pox

Prevention of Pox –
    To prevent Pox from invading ones farm. Start with empting all containers of old excess water
    this would be one of the main source for mosquitoes to strive. For areas which can’t be emptied
    like ponds, slow running creeks and water troughs one can buy what is call mosq donuts can get at local Home Depot or Lowes these are safe for animals.

Vaccinating can be prevention however remember that one might be introducing a live virus to the flock even if all flock is vaccinated there are always some that doesn’t take and still get pox.
    There are some pox tablets that work very well.

Once pox has infected a bird there are no cures just has to run its path these suggestion are for containment from spreading. Pox is a virus. To treat Pox one can do several things to keep from spreading the sores.

There are two types of pox dry pox and wet pox.
    Dry pox is where sore persist on the outside which could be on the head or legs.
    There are several ways to treat pox one may use hydrogen-peroxide to wash the pox sores which one may refer to as dry pox. One may use shoe polish dauber and cover the sores with shoe polish to dry out the sore and keep from spreading.

Wet pox is on inside the mouth this would be the worst type due to the fact that suffocation can occur due to swelling of the throat from the sores.
    Last edited by CIGAR; June 6th, 2019 at 12:40 AM.

Re: pox

Thanks for the information. And I have done everything that u wrote about I even cleaned all pins and I bought several different types repellent and I got rid of the mosquitos but not the flies

There's
    lots of flowers and plants that can be planted through out the cock yard to add color and keep mosquitoes away.

I just vaccinate the broodfowl. Pox hasn't been much of a problem for me. By the way is mesq donuts a typo? I couldn't find anything on google.

Quote Originally Posted by Apprentice View Post
    Thanks for the information. And I have done everything that u wrote about I even cleaned all pins and I bought several different types repellent and I got rid of the mosquitos but not the flies
    goto tractor supply get equine bedding pellets spread them where you see flies at the most wet them they will de solve and turn to saw dust they have good odor and will help with flies

Quote Originally Posted by CIGAR View Post
    goto tractor supply get equine bedding pellets spread them where you see flies at the most wet them they will de solve and turn to saw dust they have good odor and will help with flies
    I needed this info yesterday, I’m try it. Thanks.

Can you put this bedding inside the fowl pens?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What do you guys recommend Avian Encephalomyelitis-Fowl Pox-Pigeon Pox Vaccine or just the regular Pox Vaccine?

When is an actual good time to give them the vaccine at the beginning or end of summer?

i was told pigeon pox was the best however i use reg fowl pox

Quote Originally Posted by 2020 Bronco View Post
    I needed this info yesterday, I’m try it. Thanks.

Can you put this bedding inside the fowl pens?

yes the birds will try eat it at first take water hose spray down a bit so it will de-solve if you have rain or water on ground its best under baby pens where stinky works great

I always liked to rub bleach on pox. Drys it up fast
    Last edited by Steel city farm; June 6th, 2019 at 03:54 AM.

Good thread. Its good to learn new preventive measures and revisit this subject. I also have used bleach as well as ACV. They look rough afterwards lol but does the job. I hadnt had pox since early 2000s, got a revisit from it last summer though. Lets see how this one goes.
    Best wishes
    SF

Quote Originally Posted by KevinG View Post
    Good thread. Its good to learn new preventive measures and revisit this subject. I also have used bleach as well as ACV. They look rough afterwards lol but does the job. I hadnt had pox since early 2000s, got a revisit from it last summer though. Lets see how this one goes.
    Best wishes
    SF
    . Never tried ACV but maybe if I have any with pox this year I’ll give it a try. Bleach works really good tho

I had ran out of bleach Steel and had some ACV around, tried it and it happened to work . Dried em up and off. I, like most, try to always have bleach and ACV around the back, so good for alot of things. Best wishes
    SF

reason i use shoe polish is because i can see when starts to wear off and i can reapply

Quote Originally Posted by southernX View Post
    There's
    lots of flowers and plants that can be planted through out the cock yard to add color and keep mosquitoes away.

Thanks sir Cigar for the informative post.
    sir southernX, can you please elaborate more on what kind of flowers and plants to have in cockyard that can help with mosquitos?thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CIGAR View Post
    reason i use shoe polish is because i can see when starts to wear off and i can reapply
    Yes Cigar, and thats a damn good point! Before anyone uses ACV if they should, know that its pretty damn potent and effective to the point that the skin looks burned with one application. One i used didnt have the mother. I was dabbing but then I just dunked their head in ACV and a lil water, simple lol.
    Good day
    SF

Quote Originally Posted by RLaurent14 View Post
    Thanks sir Cigar for the informative post.
    sir southernX, can you please elaborate more on what kind of flowers and plants to have in cockyard that can help with mosquitos?thanks

Citronella, Pennyroyal, oregano, lavender.. willow tree may also yea it’s skeeter season..

get the net go catch a lot of minnows dump in any ponds nearby,they eat the larvae..

let those big mosquito eaters damage crops in adult stage but as larvae they also eat mosquito larvae.

I have used shoe polish befre and it did work But best I’ve seen is bleach as far as drying it up very quick

i use bleach to clean the sores up then apply shoe polish. yep the shoe polish trick came from Cigar and it works rather well, knock on wood since moving i haven't had to deal with pox

Try and keep your grass as short as possible and try and keep standing water down around your property. Anything that will hold water will attract mosquitos If I see them swarming the cocks on cords I apply that corona cream to the cocks on cords and stags in pens heads and It’s alot of xtra work but it will help . Living in the south you are gonna have to deal with mosquitos Just part of life down here

I used shoe polish for the longest time. Now I just use isodine.