Thread: How young do you start worming fowl?

How young do you start worming fowl?

At what age do you start worming fowl and what do you use?

Re: How young do you start worming fowl?

i start around 6 weeks old with a weaker than normal solution of wazine in their water after they get older i use the pig pellets

Everybody gonna tell u I'm crazy or stupid, but I ain't never worked a chicken in my life till the day I pen em lol

Lucas

Quote Originally Posted by lucasemerson View Post
    Everybody gonna tell u I'm crazy or stupid, but I ain't never worked a chicken in my life till the day I pen em lol

Lucas
    . I don’t think your crazy at all. I think a lot of it has to do with where u live and soil conditions and pretty obvious u have good ground where U live cause your fowl look and act really good . Me I start worming them at 4 weeks old and do it once a month till penned I use a water soluble wormer so I don’t have to try and catch every single one. Once penned they get a pill Or liquid Ivomec down the throat
    Last edited by Steel city farm; June 6th, 2019 at 10:09 PM.

I give them a pill when I pen them up, but if I happen to worm the whole yard with ivermectine in their water then they also get some.

I'm about to do it this month and the younger stags are about a month and a half old.

I’m in the same boat I’ve never wormed fowl until I pen them. This year I may run some wazine through them but haven’t decided yet.

Quote Originally Posted by lucasemerson View Post

Lucas
    It is my belief that free range birds can get what they need to stay healthy on their own or nature will cull them. I worm when I pen and I don't pen until Stags start getting frisky with each other.

Same here. I don’t worm until the rancher calls me and tells me to go get my stags because they’re killing each other. I’m lucky in that I have a pretty good place to walk a cock and a few hens every year. Then around May, I pick up the hens and drop off any other extra stags I hatched at my own place. The cock keeps them in line until they’re over 6 months old or so.

i live in the Caribbean and i have witness older folks who dont even know what dewormer is and free range and raise super powerful and healthy birds

I think it matters where you live. I worm my young at 6 month. I used to worm my whole yard twice a year, but I have got it down to once a year with valbazen.

I usually start worming a 4-6 weeks of age. Ivermectin every 3-4 week per month mixed in their feed