Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Aggressiveness VS Smarts

Re: Aggressiveness VS Smarts

When Legal my best Hulsey Brood Cock approached his opponent in this fashion using long heel. He would run hard toward the opponent, barely go over him chopping two or three hard chops. He maintained the trajectory landing near the wall. He whirled around and paused and repeated the same strategy walking over the back landing out of harms way sizing him up before another approach. On two of his fights the opponent broke over him. In this scenario he reached upward an cut to the vitals. Any time he hung up he would run with the other cock dangling on the end of the Orr Half bayonet. He was a two pitting cock but his 5th fight was a long drag fight against a real ace which the Hulsey won. In this scenario we have a smart scared rooster who was aggressive if he felt he had the edge. I had other Hulseys that would break hard in the air but would hug up to them coming down and the old Albany, Hatch or Butcher would smother the Hulsey on the counter. This is not a bragging post but one to point out a hard to beat style in that old Hulsey cock.

Thanks Hogwaller. My late grandpa used to tell me a story of this cock he got from Hugh Norman. He said he would set him down he run towards his opponent and the other cock flies over and he would turn around and give his opponent all back shots when the other one landed. He said he was a multiple time winner in the LK. I was too young to ask him or know about breeding him but he he did mention that cock died of old age. Did your Hulsey cock have any babies that fought like him?

Yes. He passed his genes on and had some sons that did like him. Back then (1974) he was the opposite of everything I had been taught a brood cock should be. He had Big feet, his head was bigger than normal, his posture was not like most and he was course looking. When you held him it was like he was off balance. During the moult he would draw his feathers in to make himself look non threatning and his hack feathers were spread out like a bonnet. He would then sing a song just like a hen right before she laid an egg. Visitors would come by and I made sure they got a good look. A hen chased him up on the roost one day in front of witnesses. One cocker said if that cock belonged to me I would ring his neck right now. I said be it far from me, this is my Hulsey Brood Cock. They could not believe what they were seeing. When I showed some a couple years later I was the underdog. 100 to 80 was common against me. LOL. He is about to run was commonly heard mumbled in the crowd. It was a colorful time for all of us ... being entertained by what the Hulseys brought to the sport.

Jumper said original radio was a ugly rooster but never had a bad day was mentally perfect

Just been watching past videos of WSC and I'm going to call hennies as a typical smart rooster because after watching a few they seem to not want to get hit, not wanting to get into a rumble and break a feather per say. Only to coming in to finish when he is clearly ahead. Maybe a lot of members dont like a hennie because of his feathers but, if they had regular feathers of a typical male gamecock would you consider them to be a smart desirable rooster?

Quote Originally Posted by nguzm001 View Post
    Just been watching past videos of WSC and I'm going to call hennies as a typical smart rooster because after watching a few they seem to not want to get hit, not wanting to get into a rumble and break a feather per say. Only to coming in to finish when he is clearly ahead. Maybe a lot of members dont like a hennie because of his feathers but, if they had regular feathers of a typical male gamecock would you consider them to be a smart desirable rooster?
    Ive seen some damn good Hennies . But Im not certain a lot of them would be as good if they had normal cock feathers. Sure some would that's undeniable but one advantage of the Henny is that the other cock gives pause allowing the Henny more time to pick its shot. That's why I don't like an extremely smart or over cautious bird. They pause to much and a lot of time are over calculating and wont commit right away. The thing with Hennys are when the other cock gives pause they take advantage of the opening and in the Knife especially that spells disaster . Also once they commit they seem for the most part to stay committed and don't have that back peddling style . The ones Ive seen for the most part anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by nguzm001 View Post
    It depends what line of Hennie they are and what traits they've been bred for. I have Cuban Hennies and a buddy of mine has some (not sure what they are) that are bred for Mexican heels. Both have a good enough defense to not run head first into trouble, but are really fast and aggressive. They will push the pace of the fight and throw the other rooster off their game because very few can match their speed and aggression.

Also, when we breed ours pure, we get about 10% that are feathered like a regular rooster. No matter if they are hen feathered or not, ours still show the same.

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk

Timing as a complementary subject and cohesive in action.
    Last edited by antair; June 12th, 2019 at 09:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skincarver View Post
    Ive seen some damn good Hennies . But Im not certain a lot of them would be as good if they had normal cock feathers. Sure some would that's undeniable but one advantage of the Henny is that the other cock gives pause allowing the Henny more time to pick its shot. That's why I don't like an extremely smart or over cautious bird. They pause to much and a lot of time are over calculating and wont commit right away. The thing with Hennys are when the other cock gives pause they take advantage of the opening and in the Knife especially that spells disaster .
    Thanks Skincarver it must be the pause from the other rooster as he tries to figure out the hennys feather that makes the henny look good. By the time he figures it out hes dead