Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best protein percentage?

Re: Best protein percentage?

Quote Originally Posted by richardself View Post
    Speaking of Protein what about adding some Whey protein powder to the chicks and juveniles feed? What is the assimilation of Whey Protein in fowl? I assume it would be high since they work well with Milk products? I have a boatload left from my weight lifting days and would like to get use out of it.
    So if you remember sometimes the protein shakes will constipate and give you powerful gas. I can only imagine that doing more harm than good in a fowl stomach.

The last 2 months I have putting the Amino Acid powder that I use when I work out. Iím no body builder, but I seen that the pen that I been putting it on the birds are high in energy and they eat more. They are healthier and better looking. They have the same Product as the Chicken Booster Amino Acid plus more, I check it and compare the labels. My product has Threonine which is animal (dairy and meat) and the Chicken Booster does not. In Humans it helps to maintain proper protein balance. It helps with liver function and it allows better absorption of other nutrients and protein. So I just put half the dosage that the label say on a gallon of water and then water the fowl. This is my experience and my trail and error. Just sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember when we had a couple milk cows. We always had more milk than our 8 children family could drink, and I drank close to a gallon a day as a kid. We made butter and had gallons of fresh buttermilk. It is nothing like what you buy in the stores these days . We soaked our oats in the fresh buttermilk for a couple days. The fowl love it and they all had great solid bodies. Wish I could get a couple gallons of that stuff a week.

What stage of life? Cock or hen? Chick, stag, inbetween?

Brood pens I feed probably 15-16%, chords 13-15%, chicks first 2-3 weeks a 16% chick starter non medicated, chicks, pullets and stags running loose whatever scratch has in it. If they're in one of the cedar groves they get scratch.

I give my brood pens a 50-50 mix of yard feed and 16% lay pellets. Yard feed is a mix of corn, milo, oats, wheat, the pellet OU formulated for a gamecock, it has sorghum molasses and cheese byproduct soaked into it 13%. I throw a little bit of oyster shells to my brood hens every 3-4 days.

Chicks too small to survive the night without a light get straight chick start until I can leave their pen open and they can come and go as they please, once they can't be herded back into their pen if they come up and not all do, they get scratch. The cocks up behind the house get a handful of scratch if they'll come to me. If not he better be hustling.

I don't feed grit, they dig up enough rocks and eat them I don't worry about it. I know it's different in a river valley than it is here, I used to feed grit when I lived up outside Independence Mo

Likes and thanks sounds like a sound program to me.