Thread: How much better do they perform after the keep?

How much better do they perform after the keep?

Iíve noticed a lot of the time the birds do just as good straight outta the fly pens. Of course we pick the ones that are in good flesh. Just a B12 vitamin shot a couple days before and tapering off their feed and they do pretty damn the same. I guess we just ainít good feeders, Iím sure someone can get more out of em. Share your experiences

Re: How much better do they perform after the keep?

When they are really on they hit a supernatural Plato. I was hit or miss. But after talking with del and reading few post I realize sometime they just naturally get that Sharpe sometimes not. You're goal is to get as close as possible. But when they are on you will know cause you will have adrenalin going cause you won't believe how they can be. Good luck.

If you catch a cock cycled down and work with him over 3 weeks, while he cycles up, and get him pointed right they're exponentially better.

If you take a full brother to the said cock and both are cycled down and you put one on a walk and the other through a keep, catch the walked cock and point them both, the walked cock will whip the conditioned cock usually.

My grandpa usually walked his for 3 weeks then put them through a 3 week keep, pointed them and fought them. I know not everyone has the option, but if you do or you can find a place and an owner willing to let you turn chickens loose on his farm it's worth it.

A keep walk is different than a brood walk in that you turn a wyandotte or leghorn rooster loose with your game, a young rooster about 9 months old or so. Old enough to help peak testosterone, young enough they don't really fight back. That way the game cock takes up with him for companionship. No hens or no pullets or the game will kill him, and I was always taught no hens during the keep.

Grandpa taught me that a keep was to simulate a cock being on a walk. You have them in pens or on chords, and they're bored out of their minds. The rotation and handwork is to give them stimulation and get them thinking as much as it is to get them into condition.

He also said part of it that keeps a conditioning program from being as good as a walk is there are no predators. A cock on a walk may encounter a fox, black tailed rattler, hawk, and Bob cat all in the same day. A cock on a walk will make his predator noise as he's heading for cover. And pick his cover accordingly depending on the predator otherwise you won't pick him up.

He goes through a range of stress every day, whether in the keep or on a walk, half the keep is mentality and that doesn't get improved on a string or in a flypen. If that's all you're doing they're not getting the most out of you.

Certain families a good keep massively increases their aggression, other families their reaction time, it should improve their stamina, wind, and power to a point. If you have had cocks fight well coming off a string, if you learn to properly condition, it's a night and day difference.

When I started I thought you wanted them to spar their best in the keep .old man willie doesn't think they should be as good in keep .he told me the keep is to have them perfect on show day not week before

A lot would depend on what the man feeding them knows. I’ve put some thru that would have been better off pulled off a cord or out of a pen.

As a general rule cocks that have never been in the barn and worked. The first day they are nervous and I start them slow and easy 30 flys. They are tired. After two weeks Ican give them 100 flys and they are still strong. After a week of rest they will probably win if they are good enough. The cock I finish the keep with could whip himself easily 3 weeks earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by LaBlue View Post
    As a general rule cocks that have never been in the barn and worked. The first day they are nervous and I start them slow and easy 30 flys. They are tired. After two weeks Ican give them 100 flys and they are still strong. After a week of rest they will probably win if they are good enough. The cock I finish the keep with could whip himself easily 3 weeks earlier.
    30 flys ain't easy but if it works for you then do it I start with 5 the I want to get to 30

Quote Originally Posted by Birdderfly View Post
    30 flys ain't easy but if it works for you then do it I start with 5 the I want to get to 30
    I m sure our flys are different.

They must be sir I respect you as much as anybody you have proven yourself that nobody can question you .I hold by tail and let them flap till they stop .i thought about what i posted .Then I thought what I call flys is different my bad respect to you I know you the real deal mr del

Does anyone still use a walk board ?

Quote Originally Posted by Birdderfly View Post
    They must be sir I respect you as much as anybody you have proven yourself that nobody can question you .I hold by tail and let them flap till they stop .i thought about what i posted .Then I thought what I call flys is different my bad respect to you I know you the real deal mr del
    Yes I call them flys but are truely flirts. 10 forward 10 backwards.

Everybody has their own way .I always took fowl that hadn't ever been through it and put them on the table and just rub them down a few times a week then put them up at a later time . Fowl that had been through it I usually started straight in with hard work / high reps till they started breathing heavy then start counting and maybe do 10 .Each rooster is different and can take a different amount of work.If you work them all the same amount you might be giving some to much while others don't get enough to be as strong as they could have been. If you pay attention the rooster will tell you when he has had enough. That's when to stop.Not just because you reach a certain number of something. Toward the 2nd or 3rd week tapered off to no work just a few flys , stretches and rubs downs.

Quote Originally Posted by LaBlue View Post
    Yes I call them flys but are truely flirts. 10 forward 10 backwards.
    Thanks and like wish we had the button PM me would love to talk chickens

Quote Originally Posted by tylerjapsil View Post
    Does anyone still use a walk board ?
    By walk board do you mean a climb board ? I used one all the time but not right up to the last few days.

In my opinion the difference is nite and day. I watch cockers through out the season. Put down extremely good fowl that are on point but they loose. Why? After a couple pitting there beaks open. Then their beaks are wide open. I will never put a cock down. That is not 100 percent conditioned. In the gaff conditioning is a must

Quote Originally Posted by Skincarver View Post
    By walk board do you mean a climb board ? I used one all the time but not right up to the last few days.
    Yea I think it really helps just don’t know how many people use it or what they think of it.

Quote Originally Posted by tylerjapsil View Post
    Yea I think it really helps just don’t know how many people use it or what they think of it.
    I always though so too. Their is logic behind it . I mean which builds stronger legs someone climbing a hill or someone walking on flat ground ? When you look at it like that its really a no brainer to me but you know . I just never used it right there at the last so they didn't stay too tight and end up cutting short. I always ran them on a flat table too but always felt that was just for stamina and wind power more than strengthening their leg muscles that much.

They perform better to about the same degree as a boxer after he is conditioned. Never show an out of shape bird unless you just want to get rid of him.

What my Grandfathers keep mainly called for was to build up their endurance. When in the drag it's always nice to have that little extra that can put a win on the board.

Quote Originally Posted by Coonazz View Post
    Iíve noticed a lot of the time the birds do just as good straight outta the fly pens. Of course we pick the ones that are in good flesh. Just a B12 vitamin shot a couple days before and tapering off their feed and they do pretty damn the same. I guess we just ainít good feeders, Iím sure someone can get more out of em. Share your experiences
    Donít know what game youíre playing but, I think you have more luck in the long ďSamurai ď (LK) game with that system.